“Honeymoon Paradise”

Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Qamea Island
Reviewed March 17, 2007

My review will probably not come close to describing just how special this place is. I have never experienced anything like it in my life, and I have been blessed to be able to travel to some amazing places in the world. It the only trip that has caused me to actually shed a tear as we pulled away on our boat to the sounds of 20+ staff members singing to us on the beach. I have actually had three dreams about going back. Before you go on, know that you can not go wrong if you decide to go to Qamea.

When my fiancé and I were deciding on a place to spend our honeymoon, I must admit that this type of trip was the last thing on my mind. I am not much of a beach or pool guy, and the prospect of spending 7 days on an island without any connection to the rest of the world was something that I could not comprehend. Then you tack on the fact that this would be one of the largest purchases of my life, and you can see how easily one could wonder, is this the right choice. Well, I decided that rather than focus on the cost of the vacation, I would focus on what my fiancé wanted, and that this would be an investment in a relationship that would last the rest of my life. Over my last 8 years working in the finance world, it turned out to be the best investment I have ever made.

Qamea is a hidden jewel. It is simply one of the most beautiful places on the planet that is run by some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. People that you can tell really love what they do, and their first priority is to help you create a memory that will undoubtedly last the rest of your life. The island is immaculate, and the setting is surreal. To be honest, I thought I would be bored by day two. Like I said before, I have never been one to sit in the sun for hours. To my surprise, I think in the 7 days we were there, I saw people lying out on the beach twice. The reason for this is that there is far too much to do. Isn’t that amazing? After 7 days there was still so much more we wanted to experience (if you can, stay longer). Each day there are different trips that were all amazing. Every day there was a snorkeling trip to a different location, all loaded with fish that I never knew existed. Snorkeling was new to me, and of course sharks were on my mind. The first day I spent time looking around to make sure they weren’t around. By the third day I was actively looking for them, and on day 4 had my first sighting. It was awesome (they leave you alone, don’t worry)! The guides who go with you don’t just swim around, they take pride in showing you the key surroundings, and point out amazing sea life that you would have just cruised by. We were also fortunate to experience scuba diving for the first time in our lives, and I in my opinion it is an absolute must. The dive master is a great guy and a great teacher.

The food is out of this world. I am a guy who likes to eat, and I like variety. This is another thing that I was apprehensive about. To my surprise, each day there was an amazing selection from the menu, all fresh, and all presented like you are in a five star restaurant. So if that is a concern of yours, forget about it. My wife and I would each order something different so we could experience it all. They even had some cooking classes that we participated in that were great fun. And if you decide you want something that reminds you of home, just ask for a burger. They will make if for you on the spot, and they are great.

The island is immaculate. You can tell they take great pride in grooming the grounds each day. Our bure was one of the new honeymoon bures, and it was perfect. If you can, request to stay in the last honeymoon bure on the beach. It is tucked away at the end of the island, and is in my opinion the best location on the beach. It has an outdoor shower and hot tub, which are perfect for a honeymoon!!!!! But if you don’t stay in this bure, we visited all the friends we made bures, and they are all great.

That brings me to my last point. The friends we made. We are still in contact with them. How many trips have you taken in your life where you made friends you keep in touch with? Everyone is having such a great time that it is difficult to not create a bond. Every night people from all over the world come together to eat, share stories about their day, and drink some of the best island cocktails that you have ever had. I could go on and on about this place, but as I said at the beginning, there are not enough words to describe it. It is a perfect choice for any type of romantic vacation, and I would recommend it to anyone. We flew from Boston, MA across the world to get to this place, and we will do it again one day soon. Make the investment. It will never stop paying dividends.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I have tons of pics I would be happy to share. We shot our pictures on the highest resolution and unfortunatly to large in disk space to load. e_menefee5@hotmail.com

Stayed: August 2006
14  Thank Honeymoon2006Qamea

Reviewed March 2, 2007

We really enjoyed our stay at Qamea, knowing full well that we were paying a considerable amount for the luxury of a remote tropical setting. Overall, we were quite satisfied with our experience for a number of reasons and would highly recommend it.

The managers, Dot and Darren are lovely people that along with numerous members of the staff were fun loving and very friendly. The staff's attitude is a bit laid back at times, but never offensive. We just adopted the same attitude. You need to be understanding and flexible. If you're seeking perfection, then you're best to go elsewhere. But then you'll miss out on a great destination.

My wife and I respectfully disagree with another traveller's critical review of Qamea's beach. We found the beach itself to be quite long and more than adequate for sun bathing, playing scrabble, collecting precious souvenirs, and sipping from as well as eating a freshly cut coconut.

We stayed in one of the honeymoon bures which exceeded our expectations with its modern decor dotted with red hibiscus flowers, lovely hardwood and slate tiled floors, outdoor ocean-view deck with hammock and bed, as well as private outdoor shower and jacuzzi. Towels were in ample supply and the air-conditioning and ceiling fan more than adequate. So again we'd disagree with critical comments made about accomodations. We would agree that at times we could not take advantage of the deck due to mosquitoes (we had no cockroach issues at all). Perhaps citronella candles might help in an environmentally friendly manner. But one needs to recognize you're in a natural setting and this is a small and unavoidable price to pay.

Overall we wouldn't rave about the food. Generally we found that the chicken, beef and lamb dishes to be better than the seafood except for the crab which was really excellent. The barbecue was also a highlight. It's just that the seafood dishes tended to be overcooked. But portions were quite large and we never left feeling hungry.

Bouma Falls was an activity highlight and highly recommended. The honeymoon beach, however, was disappointing given the timing of high tide. In our case, a picnic breakfast instead of lunch might have been a better idea. But we still had fun with the experience as my wife and I managed to fend off the tidal onslaught by building a wall of coral strewn along the beach.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank TorontoTurks
Reviewed February 20, 2007

My husband & I just got back from 11 days in Qamea, Figi. We had the most wonderful vacation ever! We simply loved it and really hated to leave. The staff there treated us like royalty. When we arrived, everyone already knew our names. Everyone was so friendly and we felt very pampered and special. I required a very special diet and they went out of their way to accomodate me. It was very kind and thoughtful and made my stay so much easier.
It was nice that it was not a really large resort, and that it provided such personalized service. They really cater to you, anticipating your needs.
Our villa was so beautiful, and overlooked the ocean. We had our own swimming pool & the beach was right outside our front door. You could hear the ocean waves & the birds singing. Everything was so lush and green and was simply breathtaking to view. It was nice just to sit and gaze at the water and landscape. So peaceful and relaxing!
There was no traffic to worry about and we stayed barefoot almost the entire time.
It was so hard to leave. It felt like we were leaving our family members, but we know that we will be back as soon as we can. As the boat was picking us up to leave, the Qamea staff sang a song to us, put leis on us and waved goodbye. Some of us started to cry.
We loved it there and would recommend it to anyone who wants to be pampered in a most beatiful environment.

5  Thank Ocean-lover2
Reviewed February 19, 2007

We just returned from the most romantic honeymoon at Qamea Resort, and as we made our decision to spend our honeymoon on Qamea in part based on the reviews on TripAdvisor, we felt it only fair to submit a review as well.

We stayed in a beachfront bure for the first 7 nights of our stay, followed by a 4 night stay in a Premium Villa with private pool. Both the bure and villa were always clean, well maintained, and elegant with a four poster canopied bed and outdoor shower. Fortunately the air conditioning was superb, because February is Summer in Fiji and it can bet a bit on the hot and humid side, particularly in the late afternoons.

We spent most of our days lounging on the beach with lots of time in the water snorkeling. Words cannot describe the diversity of coral and sea life just off the shore from the resort. Everyday we saw something new and different, even manta rays and sea turtles.

The food was excellent to say the least, and there was always a seafood, beef or poultry, and vegetarian option presented. We actually own and operate three fine restaraunts in Seattle and so feel we have a fairly good appreciation for the culinary side of things - and we have to say that the food was certainly a lot better than what we would ever expect to be served on a remote island in the South Pacific.

While my husband dove every day (1 tank after breakfast - and he never missed a day), I availed myself of the services of their little beach front spa. While it is not "flash", the equipment and skill level of the staff was more than excellent. I found myself each morning looking forward to my husband going on a dive so I could try something new.

More than anything though, the staff at Qamea were always professional, friendly, attentive, and many have become friends. Vinaka Amelia, Filo, Darren, Luisa, just to name a few.

Now for the downside - hardpressed. We did visit in rainy season, and 8 of our 11 days were picture perfect. One day it rained so hard we thought the roof of our villa was going to cave in! the other two days it was sun/rain/sun/rain/sun/rain.... After the big day of rain there were a lot of insects, but fortunately not in our villa or the dining area. The next day as the rain stopped it was pretty much back to normal and what you would expect in the tropics.

Overall, the resort exceeded our expectations, and we are already planning our next trip back to Qamea Resort. You cannot go wrong!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Marcy_Mark_Travel
Reviewed February 16, 2007

Qamea has a wonderful location and our driver who met us off the plane was very friendly. He drove us to a boat which then sped us across to the resort which looks beautiful. However, we were disappointed with this hotel for a number of reasons.

First of all, the experience simply wasn't worth the high price we paid. The accomodation is nice but nothing outstanding. There was no privacy inside the bure at night as only see-thru blinds cover the windows. The restaurant doesn't cater well for 'couples' diners when the resort is full. If you want to sit inside for dinner you share tables with other guests. We were on a romantic getaway and preferred our own company. Couples and singles were put outside on the veranda where it was so dark we literally needed to shine our torch on the table to see our food. Service was inconsistent throughout our stay. There are other things that we were dissatisfied with, but suffice to say: If you're looking for an exotic 'hideaway' romantic resort with great attention to detail and great service then this, we are sorry to say, is not the place.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled as a couple
16  Thank clara-7
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I felt compelled to write this after reading the numerous excellent reviews.

I stayed here for two weeks on my honeymoon.

It is a calm and quiet resort. If you, like me are looking for a peaceful hideaway it is the ideal spot. The resort is tucked away on it's own private and secluded beach. Days can be spent doing various non motorised water sports, diving or doing nothing at all.

The resort is made up of a dozen or so bures, a large dining bure and spa.

The bure's are quite close together but do afford enough privacy due to good positioning and landscaping of the gardens.

This is a resort that backs onto the jungle. As a result it may not be suitable for the screamish. You will get bugs in your room if you don't want them you'd best try somewhere else! Even so there were a few too many cockroaches in our bedroom for my liking.

The rooms are large enough, they are clean, but they aren't of the highest standard, i would equate it to about a 3 * hotel. The air conditioning is particularly inefficient. The bug netting on the windows is torn on the majority of windows, and the slats of several of the windows are broken, so that the window could not be closed. The water in the room is apparently good enough to drink, but oddly enough you are given a sports bottle and told to refill it at the dining room instead. Complimentary mineral water, or even just filtered water in the room would be nice.

You are of course going for the beach and weather. The beach is very short. The tidal difference is quite small but there is no more than 3m of beach at high tide, when it goes out there is about 6m. This is the distance to the water not the length of the beach. Fortunately there is a pool (allbeit small). The sea is fantastic and warm, but with so much coral on the reef you couldn't go for a splash in the water without a snorkel, for fear of treading on something.

The food - not much to say. It's pretty dire. The breakfasts are ok, who can muck up a pancake?
The menus are far from imaginative, slightly repetitious, though that may be down to the length of our stay.
Most of the fish we had was overcooked and over salted.
The main course all seemed to come with cracked black pepper everywhere all over it. Nice, if you'd asked for it.
Oddly enough there wasn't much seafood on the menu, purely chicken, fish then chicken.....

The staff - We were informed that with the package we had booked we would get a free cocktail each delivered to our bure daily. The first day, along they came and took our order. Four DAYS later it was delivered. (similarly when we had a problem with the bure it took three days and me going to the office every day to get it sorted).

Overall, good remote location, but a poor hotel. They are seriously joking with the prices. I would recommend spending more on a high end resort instead. We stayed prior to heading out to Qamea at a hotel on the mainland. That, although a lot bigger, had a lot more going for it. We wished we stayed there the whole time.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
20  Thank UkNiblet
Reviewed February 12, 2007

My husband and I recently returned from our trip to Qamea (Jan 20-30) and we just wanted past and potential visitors to know how our trip turned out..........

There are not enough words to describe this place but if I had to sum it up into one word, I would say "MAGICAL." From the moment we stepped off the boat and were greeted by Darren, I knew we were going to have the vacation of a lifetime. Our premium villa was incredible, lots of room, great view but I have to say my favorite spot was the daybed on the veranda.......ohhh, my husband and I savored a few naps there. Because we were there for 10 glorious days, we developed some extra special friendships with not only the other couples but also the staff. What an incredible staff Qamea has......so friendly, very helpful, funny and just loving life. My husband and I both agree that we feel that Darren and Dot went out of their way to make our stay very comfortable and enjoyable...they are a lovely couple and we will miss them as well as all of their staff. The food was fantastic and we were never ever lacking for food during our stay. Darren with his executive chef's background did an incredible job of putting the menus together and he even shared some of his recipes with us which was quite nice. The resort itself is just breathtakingly beautiful.........it's definitely romance defined all the way!!!!!! There is plenty to do on the resort or you can do nothing at all which was just perfect for how my husband and I like to spend our vacation. The highlight for both of us was the phenomenal snorkeling.....WOW!! To be only a few feet away from the best snorkeling we've ever done was amazing. It was so incredible that I'm ready to face my fear of sharks and learn how to dive so when we visit Qamea again, we can go on a few diving excursions. I've heard the diving is even better than the snorkeling and I just can't miss out on that. We renewed our vows after 10 years and that went off without a hitch.........couldn't have been more perfect and more romantic.

8  Thank vlshouston
#3 of 4 in Matei
Matangi Private Island Resort
Matangi Private Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matangi Island

Been to Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!