All reviews qamea resort our honeymoon my husband and i outdoor shower beach house dive shop other guests fish village tour lunch and dinner band boys day bed travel agent bouma waterfall kava ceremony cocktail hour scuba diving
Reviewed September 1, 2015

My wife and I visited Qamea for holiday/vacation just a week ago. We had a fantastic trip, here are the resort highlights . . .

The Staff- If you aren't taking the time to get to know the many fine people that work at Qamea, you are missing out. From top to bottom, some of the nicest people we've ever met on vacation. They always greet you with a smile, ask you about your stay, invite you on excursions and activities, and represent a treasure even greater than anything else in this review. On our flight home, my wife and I discussed what we liked and what we missed most . . . it was the staff.

The Location- Very nice spot, mostly shielded by a reef. Westerly views. Taveuni lies across from the resort and dominates the landscape, but in a very nice way. Boat ride from Taveuni is maybe 15 minutes. Resort is tucked away from public traffic of any kind, the closest village is out of view, around a corner/reef by boat.

The Accommodations- Very nice beachfront bures (we didn't see inside the honeymoon suites.) Outdoor showers are standard. Basically large one room free standing cottages. Nicely appointed. Nothing here that is going to rave or complain about. We've been to several resorts in a similar price range and the accommodations meet or exceed the finishing touches found elsewhere (meaning 4-5 stars.) The shaded front decks are very nice and spacious for two, and include a hammock. This is especially nice if you want to escape the sun, but still be outside. As our trip was in their winter, we did not use the A/C, but there is a unit in every bure. There are plenty of screened windows to allow ocean breezes in. Mosquito nets are installed on the beds and you will want to use them when you sleep. Bures don't sit directly on the sand of the beach, rather you will find yourself set back 20-50 feet. Bures are set around 20-30 feet apart side to side.

The Beach- Really, for the size of the resort, number of maximum guests, the resort has a fantastic beachfront. It is limited in length, but doesn't get much foot traffic, is nicely shaded by trees, and has nice soft sand. My wife and I spent hours hanging out on the beach and we saw nobody but occasional passing boats. The winds made wading/swimming a little difficult, but when the winds were down the water was fantastic. There is a nice crescent shaped shelf of coral to snorkel right off the beach. This was best when tide was medium to high, and you have to get out to it via the deeper water (trench) at the boat launch. Still, very decent for beginners to intermediate snorkelers. The downside to the beach is that the coral does come up very close to the shore, so wading and swimming is somewhat limited, especially during low tide when the coral reaches the top of the water. I love just hanging out on the beach . . . this one is surprisingly nice.

Activities- There is plenty to do everyday. There is a waterfall trip, village trip, costal island tour, honeymoon beach, daily snorkeling excursions, daily volleyball with the staff, spa and daily yoga activities. Some guests seem to keep a pretty full schedule. My wife and I balanced activities in with time to simple enjoy the beach, read, nap, etc. Most the listed activities come with added charges (daily snorkeling/volleyball were free.) Be aware of this before you go. Our booking included an onsite activities credit, which was nice, because it was flexible. We took the waterfall tour, which was really fun. We went to the secluded honeymoon beach, which wasn't as secluded as other activities at similar resorts (if you go, take snorkeling gear, the coral variety there looks fantastic- I didn't take any and was kicking myself.) I most enjoyed volleyball with the staff . . . I've played competitively before and trust me, the staff can hold their own. They also make every skill level feel comfortable. At a minimum, go get a cocktail at 430pm and watch the staff play . . . great fun. FYI- I lost weight on this vacation- playing volleyball daily.

The Food- All of our meals were included, and I wouldn't do it any other way. The variety of choices for breakfast are very good. Fruit/Cereal/Toast plus around 5 or 6 entrees more than kept us fed for breakfast. Lunches and Dinners included 4-6 options (including salads/appetizers) which seemed to always include a vegetarian option and a variety of meat choices. Preparation styles vary, offering plenty of variety. The kitchen/chefs also do a fantastic job catering to specific dietary requests. My wife had little problem avoiding gluten during our stay. Alcoholic drinks aren't included in the meal plan, but are reasonably priced.

Qamea is a fantastic resort. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for semi-exclusive, couples getaway. Diving seemed to be a really big draw for the resort with other guests- be sure to look into that as well if you are an avid diver. This is not a "nightlife" or "party" resort, however if you do enjoy meeting other people/guests, afternoon tea and cocktails before dinner are fantastic for that. If you are still on the fence, I say book it!!! Make sure to share your smiles with all the fantastic staff . . . they are truly special.

Room Tip: I suppose the units further away from either the boat landing or the restaurant would be preferable (but not by much.)
5  Thank RBenja5554
OwnersAtQamea, General Manager at Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2015

Hi RBenja5554,
Wow, it is such a delight to read your beautiful review – thank you so much for taking the time to share these details. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Qamea staff are incredibly warm and delightful people, and we are so pleased that you felt so welcomed to the family during your stay.
The private verandas and spaced-out lawn area for each bure make them very popular for people seeking their own quiet little stretch of paradise. We are delighted that you enjoyed your bure, as well as the golden sand beach in front of it - and the incredible snorkeling on our house reef!
Our staff were so pleased and proud to hear your comment about their volleyball skills – they certainly are passionate about the game! Volleyball is one of the most popular evening activities amongst both staff and guests, and an excellent way to get some exercise after a day in the hammock or luxuriating in the spa! We are delighted that you also enjoyed the other activities on offer, including the spectacular hike to the Bouma waterfalls.
Travelling with food allergies such as you mentioned really can be difficult, and we pride ourselves not only on the variety of the menu, but also on the attention to detail our chefs & restaurant servers show when looking after all of our guests. We are so pleased to hear that B. had a fantastic dining experience while avoiding gluten.
We are most definitely not a nightlife resort – but sundowners with other guests at cocktail hour, or reclining around the kava bowl at sunset as our three piece island band strums their guitars is the kind of relaxed & informal entertainment that most of our guest have come here to enjoy.
Thank you again so much for taking the time to share this beautiful review – we hope to welcome you back someday! Warmest regards from ALL the team at Qamea.

Reviewed August 31, 2015

Airport pickup to airport drop off this was an outstanding holiday. An amazing location, stunning room and top quality service delivered by some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.

This place offers it all whether you are looking for some time out alone or are keen to join in the activities with others. Relax on your hammock, in your jacuzzi spa or in your plunge pool depending on your room choice. Rooms are spacious and beautiful.

Their are free activities and additional paid for tours that offer a variety of things for you to do. Play a game of giant chess, snorkel the beautiful reefs or take a nature walk that includes a swim and a water slide or for the truly adventurous a jump off a waterfall (for those not brave enough this is amazing to watch).

The food was some of the best ever and cocktail hour before dinner was a fantastic way to get to know the other guests.

All up this is a place where you can relax and rejuvenate in a wonderful atmosphere created by people who truly want you to have the best experience you can.

The only bad thing about our holiday was having to leave.

2  Thank PaulandSueNZ

Hi PaulandSueNZ
Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time here; it was such a pleasure to meet you guys. We are so pleased to note that you enjoyed the beautiful snorkeling directly in front of the resort, as well as the amazing waterfall hike in the National Park – definitely one of our most popular trips! Sundowners & hors d’oeuvres in our cocktail lounge is a great way to catch up with other guests, and something we really enjoy too. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences; we look forward to welcoming you back again someday! Warmest regards from ALL the team at Qamea….

Reviewed August 17, 2015

My wife and I went here on our belated honeymoon and it surpassed all of our expectations. It was the perfect balance between relaxation, activities, and cultural exposure. The people in Fiji are truly the most genuinely kind people, on and off the resort. They always greeted us by name and never forgot about my food allergy. We tend to be critical when it comes to food, but everything we ate was outstanding. The grounds are kept in pristine condition and the service was impeccable. We stayed in the honeymoon bure, which was totally worth the upgrade. Everything was meticulously calculated and planned so we didn't have to think all week long. In the end, we left feeling like family. We couldn't have asked for a better trip and experience! I highly recommend booking though www.UnforgettableHoneymoons.com.

3  Thank Anthony R

Hey AnthonyR
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! We are so glad that you & A. had a wonderful honeymoon here, it was such a pleasure to welcome you. Our chefs are very accustomed to carefully catering to food allergies and we are very proud of our gourmet kitchen; we are so pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience.
All of our beautiful honeymoon bures are laid out to provide the utmost luxury in privacy - from the spa bath to the spacious outdoor rock wall shower. We are delighted that you enjoyed you bure!
The grounds of the resort were manicured with care to ensure that there remains a wealth of pristine Fijian jungle trees surrounding us, showcasing a beautiful array of tree ferns and orchids, and bringing us the incredible native birdlife - we hope to welcome you back here someday! Thanks again so much for taking the time to share your experiences here. Warmest regards from ALL the team at Qamea…

Reviewed August 5, 2015

Simply put, Qamea is beautiful. The rooms are stunning, the beaches and palm trees are gorgeous, but what makes Qamea truly unique are it’s people. We know there are penalty of beautiful locations throughout the world, but the people are this resorts greatest asset and the friendships we’ve formed with them since our first visit is what made our decision to return.

We first visited Qamea for our honeymoon in 2014, and returned again to celebrate our first anniversary in June of this year. With so many places on our checklists that we want to visit, we typically do not return to the same place twice. However, when we started planning our anniversary trip we researched quite a few different locations (Bali, Thailand, Europe, Australia, ect.) but every time we kept saying to ourselves, “Will it live up to Qamea?”.
Finally, after watching the resorts promotional video and seeing all of the staff we’ve grown to know we knew we had to return.

Over the past year, we had really built up Qamea and had even started to worry if a second visit would live up to how great our first visit was. I’m happy to report our second stay was just as wonderful, if not better than our first trip! In fact, before we even left this time we were planning a third, return trip by the end of this year! There is just something about Qamea that is difficult to put into words. When you leave, you will feel like you are leaving family.

I highly recommend booking though www.UnforgettableHoneymoons.com. We were able to snag extra ‘perks’ and additional discounts on airfare. Talking with a few other guests who had ‘deals’ with other travel agents, our package though Unforgettable Honeymoons topped everyone else’s!

As far as excursions this trip, we did the Burma waterfall hike, pearl farm and village tour again. For the waterfall hike, we wore our water shoes that fit into our fins (brought our own) and they worked perfectly. For the village tour we packed small toys and tee shirts for the children and I also brought a large, 7lb bag of tootsie rolls. This was a MAJOR hit with not only the kids, but the adults! We also highly recommend visiting the pearl farm. Claude remembered my husband and I from our previous year’s visit, and we saw our first lion fish snorkeling around the farm’s building. If you have a chance to visit the Pearl Farm, it’s extremely interesting! Claude talks about the process of how his oysters are hung onto lines, the colors of pearls that are produced at the farm, and how oysters produce smaller and eventually larger sized pearls and oblong/double barreled pearls.

If you are able, take a deep sea fishing trip onboard Qamea’s new Pineapple Express! We’re proud to say my husband and I were the first guests to go fishing on the boat which is owned by the dive shop guys, Eric & Ben. On the morning of fishing trip, we saw a number of rainbows over Tavuni island, and large flocks of gulls diving for fish. It was gorgeous! Overall we caught three fish; two rainbow runners and a jack. The kitchen staff at Qamea made sashimi out of the rainbow runners, and kakoda from the jack (my husband’s favorite). The sashimi was the best we’ve ever had!

Qamea’s spa is beyond words! I visited for treatments 5 out of the 8 days we stayed. We did the jetlag recovery massages, two sets of 90 minute couples massages, a facial and a sugar scrub. Nothing disappointed! I have never felt so relaxed after a vacation!

Here are a few of our “tips” if you choose to visit Qamea:
Bring floatie water mats. The waters are extremely calm in front of the Honeymoon bures. You’ll stay put floating the in lagoon. If you feel like drifting, move towards the dining bure where the current will leisurely carry you towards the dive shop. We left our mats for locals to enjoys after the trip.
On our first trip to Qamea, mosquitoes did not bother us. This time, I seemed to end up with more bites in the evenings than other guests. Being from Michigan, the mosquitoes are no worse in Fiji than they are in Michigan in the summer. I brought plain Cutter spray (non-deet) with me from home but it didn’t seem to have any effect on the mosquitoes. Once I purchased lemon grass spray from the gift shop the mosquitoes stayed away. I would either bring a more ‘powerful’ spray next time, or just go straight to using the lemon grass version. Again, other guests at the resort weren’t experiencing as many bites as I was, and they only seemed to happen in the evenings (Pack a pair of leggings or long pants just in case the mosquitoes take a liking to you so you have the option of covering up).
Order banana pancakes with vanilla icecream at least once during breakfast. This is my absolute favorite! Granted, all the food at Qamea is spectacular. The resort was full during this visit and I never heard a guest once say they did not like something.

My husband and I are already counting the days when we will be returning to see all of our Qamea friends! Sia, Lucia, Percy, Bubba, Sonny, Charlotte, Amelia, Katarina, Maraia, Jon, Ben, Eric and so many more which make our vacations above and beyond!

• Stayed: May 2015, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dana H
Reviewed August 2, 2015

Two of the many things I loved about Qamea was that it was adults only and that it was a small resort. There was a lovely intimacy to the resort since it was small and there weren't children running around "disturbing" the intimacy.

At first, I was concerned about the food since the choices for each meal were limited, but they did NOT disappoint! The food was exquisite!

There was an incredible yoga class offered each morning and afternoon - I participated at least once a day (sometimes twice) and it was nothing short of fabulous and a perfect way to begin and/or end the day. The instructor, Julie, was very attentive to each persons needs in the class and made each class feel like it was a private lesson, regardless of how many people were participating (max 6). I've been practicing yoga for more than 10 years and I learned new things and perfected some techniques because she was so attentive. I actually achieved Crow pose for the first time ever because of the technique that Julie helped me work through. Exciting! There was a Fijian woman on staff training to become a yoga teacher as well and I practiced individually with her for one session - she was wonderful - such a caring, calming, focused yogi-to-be. I expect she will be teaching some classes in the coming months which will add to the excellence in yoga practice you can find at Qamea!

The resort is on a remote island - a half hour boat ride from Taveuni - so you need to be prepared for that. We decided we should have stayed for a couple days in a larger city as well - perhaps Nadi - just for the experience (shopping, restaurants, culture). Qamea is also the only resort on the island and there are no cities or large villages, so there aren't local restaurants to "try out." This was actually fine because the food was so wonderful, but good to know in advance.

I am brand new to scuba - my first experience after being certified. I let the divemaster, Sam, know this up front and he was absolutely perfect! He was patient and provided me with feedback and pointers. And because it was a small resort, two of my three dives were just me and the divemaster! Unfortunately, my companion had an earache and couldn't dive, but they did let him ride along on the boat, regardless, without an additional fee. He did get to snorkel, though, and there was plenty of beauty to see that way as well. The Whitewall and Rainbow Ridge are 2.5 hours away, but we heard it was worth the full day trip to scuba on these locations - there was a group of experienced divers at the resort that went there and said it was incredible. We didn't go because my companion couldn't dive, but we will certainly go there next time.

Make sure you go on the village tour - the people are so friendly! Also don't miss the waterfall - make sure you swim under the waterfall! We also arranged a trip to Taveuni to see a few sites. It wasn't a scheduled excursion, but we were glad we did it. We went to the international dateline, wandered through the main village on Taveuni, went to a natural waterslide and a beautiful church - and just drove around to see more of the island. We were glad we planned it!

There were several honeymooners at the resort - a perfect location for that. Each couple/family/group had their own Bure on the beach - a lovely little hut (there were larger huts for groups of 4-6). There were also special intimate/private dinners on the beach you could arrange.

The wifi is only available at the restaurant and you can pay extra for a faster wifi (it was not expensive, and worth it). Our Bure (Kukuru) happened to be very near the restaurant and we were actually able to get the wifi signal in our room most of the time. The cell service is very spotty.

SO glad we happened upon this resort and ended up spending 7 days in this paradise!!!

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple