“Wonderful holiday!!!”

Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Qamea Island
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Recently returned from 12 day holiday at this relaxing, beautiful resort, a Garden of Eden. We would give this resort 11 out of 10. The managers, Belinda and Andrew, and all the wonderful smiling staff of Qamea do everything in their power to ensure your stay is everything you dream of. The all inclusive food menu was very, very good and the restaurant...gathering place.. is also a great area to have a cocktail or cold fiji baby and socialise with other guests if you want to. Qamea has beautiful gardens with all accommodation well spread out for privacy and easy beach access. The snorkelling off the beach is magical. Many activities are available if you so desire. You can be busy or laid back and relaxed. If you have never been diving before, this is the place to begin. David Crutchley, is so patient with beginners. If you have ANY FEARS, he will patiently help you through them. Many thanks David for my introduction to your wonderful underwater world. We have done a lot of travelling and can honestly recommend Qamea for that special holiday or occasion.

1  Thank Liana J
OwnersAtQamea, General Manager at Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Bula Liana & Colin

11 out of 10…now, that’s some review!

Thank you both for taking the time to share your recent stay experience via this TripAdvisor post.. We all appreciate your extremely positive words and were delighted to share your feedback with our wonderful staff so they know first-hand of your appreciation of their exceptional service. We look forward to your return.

Vinaka Vaka Levu

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I (27 & 25) recently spent our 7 night honeymoon at Qamea in one of the Honeymoon Bures. Here is an attempt to summarize our trip.

Getting There: From the East Coast (western New York), it is a long trip, around 30 hours. Well worth the extra money to travel business class (we flew Fiji Air), and take advantage of long layovers with day rooms. We booked our own international flights, but Qamea took care of our domestic travel via Island Hoppers, who we really enjoyed traveling with.

Room: Beautiful, well appointed honeymoon bure. Incredibly comfortable bed, wonderful outdoor shower with great bath products, completely sufficient A/C to keep bure cool at night. We had some issues with bees, which were immediately addressed and resolved by the wonderful staff. Communication is key - if you alert the staff as to what you need, you will get it, but they are not mind readers - so speak up! The day bed and hammock just outside our room were lovely, and we took full advantage of them. Very private. The hot tub had some trouble staying hot, but I believe that was due to the unrelenting rain, and not necessarily the hot tub itself. That is literally my only gripe.. and it was taken care of as best it could be. There is also a large (covered) hot tub by the pool which we were happy to use, in addition to the one at our room.

Activities:

Spa - We had a wonderful complimentary couple's massage the afternoon we arrived, although we did not book any other spa treatments. I would have, if we had more time! The massages were amazingly relaxing, and much appreciated. The spa staff were lovely.

Diving - Due to the rain, we decided to get certified for scuba diving with Qamea's PADI instructor, David, and head underwater. We had an amazing time, words cannot begin to describe how much fun we had. We also come away with a lifetime PADI certification, and really wonderful memories with David and the Qamea sea life. We did not plan on scuba diving, but we are so glad we ended up doing it.

Fishing - We chartered 5 hours with Leslie, who expertly navigated the waters with his 23' skiff. We caught albacore and yellowfin tuna - I have never fought a fish like that before, it was quite an adventure! My husband and I love to fish, and try to charter wherever we vacation, which has included Mexico, Florida, and now, Fiji. Leslie's trip tops the charts without question. We brought one of the tuna back to the resort, and they prepared it several ways (ALL amazing, my favorite.. the simple sashimi) for us. What an experience that was!

Village ceremonies - I keep coming back to a review I read previously about how the villagers are "poor" and advises against doing the village tour. As we were diving, we did not do the village tour, but I wish we had. We still got to participate in, and watch, several local village ceremonies, and it was an incredible, RICH, experience. If you told one of these individuals that they were poor, I am sure they would think you must be crazy! Fijians are so kind and full of warmth, hands down the most friendly people I have ever met. The children dancing and singing are wonderful - I got so many hugs from boys and girls all dancing together during a pre-dinner ceremony one night! The kava ceremony is also great fun, and I was very appreciative that they let me be a "chief-ette"!

Beach - The few dry hours we did get to spend on the beach with a bottle (or 5) of Fjij Gold in our hands were great. Beautiful beach, clear water, amazing views.

Food: OH my goodness - where to begin? The food at Qamea is truly superb. The choices are plentiful, and if you don't see something you particularly want on the menu (which changes daily), just ask! I always picked a menu item, as there was never anything I didn't want, but I saw plenty of people with special requests easily fulfilled. Dinner on the beach is wonderful treat you can sign up for. Go fishing with Leslie, and the staff will be happy to prepare your fish for you to eat that night!

The People: Undoubtedly, the best part about Qamea are the people. Bubba, William, Maria(h?), David, Percy, Andrew, Belinda, and so many more! Every individual at Qamea is happy to be there, with you. They will know your names by the end of your first day! The warmth and kindness the staff exudes is unbelievable. If anything alone stands apart about Qamea - this is it. We became part of the Qamea family, and leaving became quite emotional. Not only was the staff great, but we made great friends with other guests, as well. Vinaka to everyone at Qamea who made our honeymoon such a wonderful, special adventure that we will never forget.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Bula Amy & Evan

You have “painted” the most wonderful picture which perfectly describes our resort, the surroundings and gives others a glimpse of what was a perfect Honeymoon.. We are very grateful for the time you have taken to do this and to share your experience so publicly.
Your amazing review is being shared with all our staff so they will know first-hand of your appreciation of their exceptional service.

Thank you again for your review, and for choosing Qamea Resort & Spa for your honeymoon. We are honored, and very much looking forward to your return.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Recently we was fortunate enough to spend 7 nights at Qamea. It was a wonderful experience. After traveling from Florida we were transported into a tranquil, car less world where smiles and happy dispositions are the norm! After our initial meet and greet we were shown to our beachfront bure (20 steps from the water). The beach is what you would expect, postcard perfect! Our bure (self contained accommodation) was very clean, spacious and well appointed.
The Qamea circle tour by boat was recommended and did not disappoint us! It included snorkelling at 3 different premium reef sites and a picnic lunch on a secluded white sandy beach.
The Jungle Spa was wonderful. Located on a secluded part of the property, it truly was in 'the jungle' complete with serenading local birdlife! We enjoyed several trips to the spa during our stay. Each evening the focal point of the resort was the dining/bar bure were pre dinner drinks and socialising with other guests took place. The local Qamea band provided us with amazing vocal harmonies and guitars during our pre dinner drinks. This reminded me of a family gathering more so than a meeting of fellow tourists! The staff made us feel so at home and relaxed! We also attended a local village church service on Sunday and mixed with locals. A lovely experience!
The food selection and quality was fantastic and plentiful with a little something for every palate.
When we boarded the boat for our return to the mainland, the staff serenaded us beachside with a farewell that left us with teary eyes as they waved us goodbye! This vacation has left us wanting more and we cannot wait to return to paradise again to be with our new 'extended family'!!!!!
I need to personally thank Belinda and Andrew and every staff member of Qamea for making our stay one of the more memorable vacations we have ever had the pleasure to experience!
Vinaka vaka levu........'till next time!

Room Tip: All rooms are close to the beach. The dive shop is in-house.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1finelife

Bula

We really appreciate the time you have taken to review your Qamea Resort experience. Our team could receive no higher praise than to have their service described as you have done, and we are all so grateful for you choosing our resort for this special time away, and for then sharing your impressions so publicly, and so positively.

Vinaka Vaka Levu

Andrew & Belinda Griffin

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My wife and I just spent our honeymoon at Qamea, and we were absolutely blown away. You simply could not have asked for a better place to spend a honeymoon. We stayed for 10 nights in a beachfront bure (Kula), and participated in many different activities throughout the week.

It's hard not to fill this review with hyperbole; the staff was amazing, the food was delicious, the reefs were breathtaking, and the accommodations were lovely. We did not have one sour note at any point of our vacation, except the fact that we had to leave. Belinda and Andrew are wonderful managers who made extra effort to ensure that we had a worry-free stay. Sia, William, Bubba, Percy, Amelia, Maraia, Sam, all of the staff was top-notch, and everyone knew our names from the moment we stepped off the boat.

Most of the other guests were honeymooners during our stay. You really don't see anyone else during the day, save for group activities/tours, until you come to the main bure for meals. Breakfast was great every day, and the chefs were very willing to create things off-menu. You cannot go wrong with any of the fish, ever. Don't forget to swing by for tea and cake at 3pm every day, and the informal cocktail hour before dinner was a great way to get to know the other guests. We took to calling it "Honeymoon Camp" because of the fun, community vibe that we felt.

The people at Qamea really gave us a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We recommend that you stay at least a week to experience all of the fun activities. It isn't easy (or cheap) to get to Fiji, at least from Detroit, but it was certainly worth it.

Vinaka levu!

And no review of Qamea would be complete from me without saying something about the botos (frogs). They're everywhere and we loved them! Boto vinaka.

Room Tip: Beachfront bures are more than enough. The honeymoon villa was our day room on our last morning, and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Bula from everyone here at Qamea including the botos!
Thanks for the great review - good to see appreciation for what our staff strive for... accurate and encouraging reviews like this certainly help us stay focused and other travelers informed of what to expect!

It’s so good to see the smiles and laughter from the staff when reviews such as this are posted and read out at staff meetings – your time to write such a review is greatly appreciated by us all.
You guys were great!
Vinaka Vakelevu

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our holiday to Qamea Island was beyond our expectations. The age of couples varied - from newly wed young poeple to older couples, however, this did not deter the wonderful companionship between guests and staff. Every moment of our holiday is a treasured memory. The atmosphere was truly amazing from the pre-dinner drinks to our meal. The staff are very special as they treated everyone with the same warmth and love. Belinda and Andrew are truly a gracious, caring and professional couple who manage the Resort and look after all their guests with sincerity. The food was outstanding with the freshest and tastiest dishes, which we all looked forward to at each meal. Nothing was a trouble with staff giving their utmost attention to every small detail. Even though we grouped each night as a family, each couple then respected each other for their time whilst dining. The Qamea Times each day detailing the next day events was something to look forward to each night. We have never experienced such a warmth in all of our holidays. It was very sad to say goodbye but we certainly will be booking another holiday at this beautiful island. The Fijian people are truly beautiful and the world would be a better place if people emulated to their happy demeanours.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Kukuru Bure and it was excellent
3  Thank JIM R

Bula vinaka for your positive review of Qamea Resort and Spa.
We so appreciate the time and effort taken to write and share your holiday experience. It’s incredibly uplifting to read such comments as ‘every moment of our holiday is a treasured memory’ – ‘the atmosphere was truly amazing’ – ‘the staff are very special and treated everyone with warmth and love’ – ‘we have never experienced such warmth in all our holidays’ - but the best part is ‘we will be booking another holiday at this beautiful island’. We can’t wait to welcome you back to our island paradise!
Vinaka
Belinda & Andrew

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I stepped onto the sand off the boat until they almost had to carry me kicking and screaming and put me back on it- this was the most fabulous vacation ever. Qamea is amazing in every way. The island itself is a sight to behold -green lush and full of life surrounded by the most beautiful water filled with some of the healthiest and colorful color and fish I have seen. But then there are the people. The staff here are truly what sets this place above and beyond any expectations I had. From John taking me under his wing during the circle qamea tour when my husband couldn't go, to Bubba teaching me fijean dances and explaining the meke ceremony to me, Eric taking us around on his day off to explore, to David who is the most patient and kind scuba instructor. The band boys and the rest of staff including Sia, William, Belinda and Andrew. ... that is what makes this place special. Yes the bures are lovely, the food is fantastic, and the activities cannot be beat, but it is really the people that make this place. It rubs off on the guests and you can't help but to enjoy everything there is to this magical place. I am just counting the days till we can return.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Fishergirl1

Gia & Howard what can we say… except… Vinaka Vakalevu
We can’t wait for your return… IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS!!!
A resort cannot ask for a better recommendation than to have a guest leave here and within 2 weeks book their return trip! That’s crazy; but so awesome; we are all so excited.
Vinaka

Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I spent six days at Qamea for our honeymoon. All the other guests at Qamea seemed to truly enjoy the resort, but our stay had its ups and downs.

First, the staff is very friendly and the resort is very well taken care of and beautiful. The food was generally good. The portions are a little small, but I’m a picky eater who doesn’t eat seafood, and I still managed to find and enjoy at least one thing at each meal. The beachfront bures are nice, but some are better than others. Some are closer together than others, but have better views of the beach. Most seem to have beach chairs to relax in, but the bure we stayed in did not. Though, they did offer us free drinks to accommodate us for the lack of chairs, since they could not figure out what had happened to the chairs that our bure was supposed to have.

The spa is great, but not for the modest. It is located in the trees and we truly enjoyed every spa service we received. However, the spa specialists are not very careful with their placement of the sheet on your body. So, while the spa services can be provided on the beach, unless you are okay having the other resort guests see parts of your body that are usually covered by a swimsuit, I would suggest getting all spa services at the spa itself.

Qamea seems to provide a lot of activities and tours, but once you are actually there, you are lucky if you get to partake in them. While we were there, they scheduled the same tour for the day we arrived (making it so that we couldn’t go on it that day) and three days later, but that one was cancelled because they didn’t meet their minimum number of guests required for the tour to occur, since all the other guests had gone on the tour a few days earlier. The resort lists the tours available for the week on a chalkboard in the dining bure, in an attempt to help you plan your time there. Yet, they then change the tours offered the day before, making it so you have to choose between activities, when it is completely possible that the day before you didn’t have anything at all to do. Additionally, they state that they offer a guided snorkel tour every afternoon, yet, when my husband and I went to the diving bure to go on the guided snorkel tour, there was no one there. We arrived ten minutes before the tour was supposed to depart, waited for twenty-five minutes and then went back to our bure. They advertise a picnic lunch on a private beach, but fail to tell you until you are preparing to go to the private beach that the times available for the private beach depend on the tides. By that point, the only time available for my husband and I to go to the private beach was immediately after breakfast for only two hours. Therefore, we didn’t get a picnic on the private beach and instead had to return to have lunch with the rest of the resort. One of the only activities that my husband and I did get to enjoy was called the Circle Qamea Tour, which was awesome because you get to snorkel a shipwreck.

The complimentary equipment provided by the resort was poor. The kayaks are the cheapest you can buy and are uncomfortable. The resort did not have the right size snorkeling fins available for my husband, so he was forced to wear his shoes inside the fins every time we went snorkeling.

The service at Qamea was ok. Like I said, the staff is very friendly. They all introduce themselves to you and then remember your name and greet you by it throughout the rest of your stay. However, we booked our entire stay and our transportation to and from the resort through the resort itself, and yet, the resort managed to book us on the wrong flight back to Nadi and then forced us to pay an additional $100 to fix their mistake. Also, when we reported to the staff that we did not have any hot water and a light bulb was out in our bure, they couldn’t fix the hot water until the next morning, and then never fixed the light bulb.

Overall, I would only recommend Qamea if you are looking for a beautiful place to lay around, do nothing and eat good food.

11  Thank Miranda M
OwnersAtQamea, Owner at Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

It is always disappointing when a negative review is posted by one of our former guests, and like all resorts, it happens from time to time, and the feedback is welcomed and used as a basis to make our product even better. We pride ourselves immensely in the quality of our resort, our amazing staff, and unsurpassed beauty of our remote island oasis.

Sadly though, I am having somewhat of a difficult time making much sense out of several of the comments in this review having read these guests’ handwritten first day review as well as their check out review, which were very positive. And even the review they posted on TripAdvisor is positive in many respects (great food, great spa, friendly staff, well maintained grounds, etc….). Our resort is 1000% focused on guest satisfaction, and when we have an unhappy guest as we do here, we do our best to find out what went wrong in the hope that any errors in our service are not repeated for future guests.

All I can surmise here though is that these guests are blaming us for a fee charged by the local airline to change their booking so that they could go onto a nonstop interisland flight back to Nadi. We did book their interisland flights as a courtesy, and at the time of the booking the only service that was available made a brief stop in Suva. It did not increase the cost of the ticket – at the time, it was the only flight available. Once on the resort these guests insisted that we change them to a non-stop service, and for days our assistant manager repeatedly called the airline, and was finally able to secure the seats when a second flight was added. The airline did charge a ticketing change fee of US$ 62 (not $100), which was paid by the guests directly to the airline directly at check in. These guests agreed to pay the fee when we made the change on their behalf.

I would like to respond to just a few of the other points:

(1) Lack of a deck chair – one of the chairs went missing (probably drug down to the beach by another guest to watch the sunset), and we immediately replaced it when it was brought to our attention. We have no shortage of chairs on the resort.
(2) It sounds like these guests did enjoy many of our activities, but were mostly upset because of the timing of their honeymoon beach picnic. We do not have control over the tides (which dictates beach access), though we do list them daily in our turn down service newsletter, and they are listed in the dive shop on a large chalk board. With that said, I have undertaken a review of our activity scheduling and hope that such misunderstandings do not happen going forward.
(3) We serve gourmet food and the portions are appropriate given the number of courses that are served at each meal. We ask all guests to simply tell us if they require larger portions, or second helpings. This is easy for us to do, and if these guests did not understand this, it was obviously our fault and we apologize for that. Happy to report that just last week a new master chef from Europe joined our island team and over the upcoming months will be tweaking our menus and adding even more sumptuous items for our guests to enjoy. At Qamea we have always had a major focus on food, given my background in the restaurant industry in New Zealand spanning three decades.
(4) The hot water in these guests’ bure went out, and was fixed within 15 minutes per our maintenance records. It was merely an empty gas cylinder. The housemaids should have caught this during their twice daily servicing of the bure, so I apologize for any inconvenience. I do not have any record in our maintenance log of a light bulb out. Our maintenance team is on duty 24/7 to attend to any guest issues.
(5) Regarding the comment “not worth the price” – I only want to draw this reviewer’s attention to the fact that they paid $267 / day per person (excluding local tax), with all gourmet meals, many activities, on a 100 acre resort with a maximum of 34 guests serviced by 85 staff. It is by far the best value at the top end of remote island resorts in Fiji and the South Pacific.

In closing, I thank this guest for submitting this review, and hope that in spite of a few minor glitches, they have fond memories of Fiji and Qamea Island.

Bryce Earwaker

The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
Matangi Private Island Resort
Matangi Private Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matangi Island

Been to Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!