“A unique resort in Paradise!”

Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Qamea Island
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Qamea resort is unlike anywhere my husband or I have ever stayed in the world. The things that makes it so unique are the setting and the staff. First, the setting is amazing- tropical flowers, lush jungle, white sand, and a coral reef that is a snorkeler and diver's dream. Each bure (hut) is private, clean, and nice- we recommend the 'Lairo' bure with its own pool. Second, though you may literally be half a world away from home, the friendly staff make you feel like part of their family. Really! They call each guest by name and genuinely care about each one. Since there are a very limited number of guests on the island, you get to know the other couples (or not, if you don't want to). Happy hour each night at the bar was a time for laughing with the staff and discussing with the other guests the day's activities. Our trip happened to fall over Thanksgiving, and the chef made us an American-style Thanksgiving dinner that would rival any in America! It was amazing! We will never forget our week in Fiji.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Emilyanne38
There are newer reviews for Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This review comes rather late (we actually visited this incredible resort near the end of March 2012). The staff at Qamea, like all of the Fijian people, were warm and personable. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Likewise, management always joined into the fun, especially in the evening just before dinner when we gathered to drink cocktails. Let me say something about the fabulous food of Qamea... nowhere in Fiji did I find the delectable meals that we were served at Qamea. They truly have a first-class chef. When I complimented one particularly delicious soup, I was given the recipe to take home.

We had arranged a scuba dive package at Qamea. Unfortunately, I got an ear infection when I dived the Somosomo strait the week before we arrived at Qamea. The management were kind enough to allow me to trade my dive package for a spa package when I told them I was unable to dive. I don't know if we will ever have the pleasure of travelling to Fiji again; however, if we ever do, we will be staying at Qamea.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maguscanook
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from our second visit to Qamea, the first being 2 years ago. We were absolutely delighted by the warmest welcome from the lovely Lucia. Most of the staff were familiar to us and some actually did remember us and they also greeted us with the special Fijian hospitality we have come to know. Our ocean front Bure was 13m from the water at high tide and beautifully appointed with some refurbishment to keep the standards high. We love the diving and returned to some favourite sites but were also treated to sites we hadn't seen. If you want to feel like you are in a tropical fish pond go to Swirling Coconut. The dive team are very experienced and helpful and entertaining. The snorkelling is equally amazing and you can play with clown fish colonies right out the front of the resort beach. If you want a place where you don't have to think or do anything this is it. Sit on your Bure verandah and read and watch the ocean at the same time. The addition of the Hot Tub at the pool is awesome. The food is terrific and varied and the inclusive wine/beer/softdrink package is great value. Perhaps a comment on the weather is a good thing. We did experience more wind this visit than the last but it was still very warm and the water temperature beautiful and we were easily able to utilise our 8 dive package over the 7 nights. Make sure you budget to utilise the superb spa where the treatments are amazing. We would certainly revisit again and again.

Room Tip: Wouldn't hesitate to stay in any of the Bure's at the resort.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

First, I must give you context, so you can understand a bit more about how my experience was framed. Like so many people that stay on the resort, I went to Qamea on my honeymoon. I stayed there a bit longer than most, for about twelve days. On the whole, I was very pleased. The staff was accomodating and kind (there's a bit about that in the caveat section of my review, though), the water in the area is beautiful, the food was very good. Cocktails were just too good for my own good! Really, this is a lovely resort. It's private--I believe the entire island is owned by the resort or there is some arrangement to that effect--and there are enough other guests (mostly young professionals with a few second honeymooners in the mix...all very nice during my visit). You can wake up and take a quiet swim before breakfast. The white sand shore is at your tiptoes and it is truly lovely. The water is clear and warm (you might want to check water temps before booking; I'm simply not sure how consistent temperature is in general...I was there in late September/October), the fish are varied and characteristically tropical etc. Then, a quick shower in the fantastic bure (it's like a luxurious island hut). You'll want to look into the bures. They are spaced for privacy, but some are simply more private than others, naturally. Take time to think about 1) privacy 2) view 3) location in relation to the water 4) know that there are a few particularly secluded options, if you are lucky and plan ahead. Just keep in mind what is important to you when you select. They all seemed nice, but I was glad that my accomodation was *not* close to the main bure, where everybody congregates for breakfast, lunch, dinner. The decor in the bures is just lovely. A hammock outside, this fantastic shower situation where it is in your bure but has an open quality os you feel that you are showering in some kind of domesticated rainforest etc.

As for the services, the spa is really excellent. I took full advantage, got everything done that I possibly could. I went in incredibly stressed (with the skin to prove it) and came out glowing. It is set right on the beach too. There are options for couples spa treatments as well, though I didn't take advantage myself. Each morning the "Quamea News" arrives. It is a page-length newsletter of sorts--thus contributing to the sense that you are in a world apart--it tells you what excursions will be offered (a hike, a village visit, snorkeling etc.), spa news, weather and (Drum roll) the day's menu. Now, this review is getting entirely too long, so I'm going to get very direct on subjects:

ACTIVITIES: These are hit or miss. I wouldn't miss a snorkeling trip, but that is just personal preference. Also, if you are a scuba diver, this is a great location. There's a hike that goes past a lovely waterfall and then ends with an optional dip in the waterfall-pool at the termination of the excursion. Also, you get an option between a candelight dinner on the beach at Qamea OR a picnic lunch on a deserted island. Oh, the latter is so wonderful (thought I didn't have the former). If privacy is important...take the island. CAVEAT: I would counsel against the village visit. I know there's a huge gap between poverty and wealth in this kind of situation, but it was really sad to witness it. The residents are incredibly kind (children wave enthusiastically at you as you drive by and their smiles seem bigger than their faces!), but I felt uncomfortable about the fact that I was touring their situation while staying at a resort. Even the sand on the beach was black, as if to underscore the contrast.

STAFF: They are accomodating, friendly and just generally pleasant. CAVEAT: I stayed on the island for nearly two weeks and in that time, the friendliness gradually eroded. Perhaps it is hard to keep up that level of congeniality. There was no rudeness, just a sort of indifference towards the end.

DINING: There's an option between dining in the main bure or privately. The latter can be great because they know exactly how to do it. I mean, the staff arrives with everything you need in reasonable time and is just fantastic. I felt it was good to alternate, but dinner "in house" was a nice option to have. Also, the food is very good, as I mentioned above and the cocktails...are wonderful. The wine selection is reasonable as well. If you like french toast and they are offering it...get it! I usually eschew such heavy options for the sake of my waistline, but it is entirely worth it. Fish, obviously, is always a good dinner choice. CAVEATS: Well, I'm a big antipasto/cocktail hour fan and that wasn't really something that happened, though there is a small attempt at such a thing.

I know that I've been incredibly , amazingly critical here, but that is because I really enjoyed my stay, but I don't want to give the impression that everything was perfect--that wouldn't be realistic. I think this is NOT a place to disappoint. I would go again in a moment and I highly recommend it. I have very fond memories of the resort and chronicle a few 'hesitations' only for complete disclosure.

Oh,a last bit of related advice: Book a day room near the airport on your way out. I was arriving from the U.S., so I can only speak to that: For U.S. West Coast people, this is just nice. It gives some downtime and a chance to transition back to reality. For U.S. East Coast travellers: in addition to the West Coast perks, this is really necessary for you guys! Your flight is going to be long, you'll probably have to connect at LAX and then have another 5.5 hour flight ahead. Make sure you have a day room and are not just drifting about the airport. Also, if you are a smoker, bring your supply of cigarettes with you. You'll have a hard time coming by them on the island. Finally, if you want to scuba dive, this will be the perfect place to do ti but NOT to learn. Get certified before you come or you'll waste your time with an expensive down and dirty certification on the island...and nobody wants to spend their time being educated in a small pool when there are hammocks and silly drinks and delicious meals and lovely hikes and... you get the idea.

Bottom Line: Go, enjoy yourself and hope the flower you cast at the end of your visit presages a return.

Room Tip: Research, take into account the kinds of activities you want and try to avoid a bure closer to the m...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LifeofThings
OwnersAtQamea, Owner at Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Bula Vinaka from Qamea,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our resort, and I am especially pleased that during your 12 nights on Qamea you enjoyed our spa, dining, snorkelling, and other activities, along with the beauty of our resort, beach, and amazing soft and hard coral reefs. I am sorry though that you did not feel comfortable during your village tour visit, given your perceived wealth disparity between the resort and the local village. While poor when measured by physical things, my personal experience is that the Fijians are far wealthier than many of those that live in wealthy countries when measuring happiness and overall contentment with life and family. There really is a reason why Fijians are commonly known as the happiest people on earth.

Again thank you for choosing Qamea for your honeymoon, and we hope to welcome you back to our resort again soon.

Vinanka,
Bryce Earwaker
Resort Owner

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We traveled to Fiji for honeymoon in July based on a recommendation from a travel agent. While our weather was just so-so, Qamea Resort was an A++ from the start. The spa has some of the best treatments either of us have ever had. Qamea resort (and Fiji in general) have the warmest, loveliest people on the planet. They make you feel like family. Don't think twice about booking a bure to spend a week - or more in absolute paradise. You won't regret it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYCTraveler2009_7
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Its been 5 days now that my husband and I had to drag ourselves out of our oceanfront bures, and make our way back to Orlando Florida. At first, we both kind of giggled when we read the trip advisor reviews on the couples that cried when they left the island. I mean really, crying?! But as we said our last goodbye’s, and Suka put the farewell lei’s over our heads while the staff was singing a departing song in the background, I began to feel the lump in my throat. Didn’t help when I took a last glance and saw the warm faces that would greet us by NAME from the moment we stepped on the island, and genuine hugs first thing in the morning when we met in the dining area for breakfast. My husband and I blinked quickly so not to become another statistic on trip advisor! I understood at that moment that we were leaving family. Now about the island. I will say that the pictures do not do this place any justice. We kept trying to find youtube videos online, however, there are not many available. Therefore if you find the pictures and video’s appealing, than the island will definitely blow your mind! It is a combination of beautiful beaches and dense rainforest. Unlike other outlying islands that are low-lying and arid. Snorkeling is SPECTACULAR and crystal clear right off the dive shop. We spent hours in the water, and found something new everyday. Don’t forget to bring an underwater camera. The activities, exploring waterfalls, coastal walk where you can see where blue lagoon II was filmed, island tour, etc. were all wonderful. The guides are the best in Fiji. Suka and Eddie will look after you very carefully to make sure you are okay. My swimming skills are not as great as theirs, and I really wanted to make it to the actual waterfall. Suka took me to the rock walls half submerged in water, and side by side physically placed my hands in each crevice of the wall until I was finally able to touch the falling water. You can’t buy that experience with money. The food you’ll eat are things you will see in fine dining restaurants. I felt like a superstar dining at Gordon Ramsey’s kitchen every night. However, if you are having a particular craving (as I did with pizza), the staff will go to great lengths to accommodate. I had the tastiest steak pizza, and my husband was treated to taro and breadfruit, both not on the menu. I could go on and on about how great it is, but you’ll have to go experience it yourself. If the place was a complete dump, it would still get a 5 star rating based on the staff itself. I can’t say enough about these lovely people. They have a genuine warmth to them that is natural and flow’s freely, unlike top luxury resorts where it seems as though lines are scripted, and every move is carefully calculated. Qamea is a blend of luxury, tranquil beauty, romance, traditional culture, and most of all, a feeling of being a part of a Fijian family. A big BULA and VINAKA to John, Suka, Mariah, Sia, Amelia, kitchen staff, dive shop staff, boat staff, and housekeeping. You all made our honeymoon unforgettable. Hope to see you sometime in the future!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Catmo10212012
Reviewed October 9, 2012

-We found the resort, accommodations, food, spa, truly 5 star. In addition the level of genuine kind, caring and friendly service provided by the staff was truly unsurpassed compared to any other vacation experience we have had in the world! (And we do love to travel).
- Boutique Travel owner Ellen has planned our vacations for the past 15 years but this time she out did herself. She recommended Qamea Resort and Spa in Fiji and the resort and trip exceeded our wildest expectations!! Her precise planning, attention to detail, personal service and unsurpassed knowledge of Fiji provided the back drop to our wonderful Qamea experience.
-Of special note is the dive experience…we did 8 dives including a 3 tank day at Rainbow Reef….the diving was spectacular but was made even better by Dive Master Eric……he is truly the best dive master I have ever dove with….it starts with his dive plan, explanation of the plan with the divers and the way he guided us through the water making sure we were safe and that we saw all of the wonderful sights available in each area we dove. I have dove in Cabo, Maui, Turks & Cacios, Bora Bora, and Rangiroa and he stands out above all others!!
-I also very much enjoyed our conversations with the General Manager Graeme and Rose. We found them remarkably fun to be around and have never experienced such personal contact and service from the General Manager…….usually the GM hides behind the wall of subordinates….they are great…………their motto seems to be “what else can we do to make sure everything is wonderful?”
Thanks again to Ellen for planning this wonderful Island Paradise Vacation and thanks to the entire Qamea Resort team for the spectacular trip.....Brad
• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Room Tip: We stayed in the owners nbeachfront 2 bedroom with private pool and spa..........it was simply the b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Matangi Private Island Resort
Matangi Private Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matangi Island
Taveuni Palms Resort

Been to Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!