Having read everything from 'terrible' to 'excellent' we wanted to leave our thoughts. We stayed for five nights in an ocean breeze room. The room was spacious and comfortable with a nice bathroom and shower. Good range of movies on the TV. They are noisy though. Doors bang and floorboards creak so you can hear your neighbours moving around which can be a little disturbing. That said this's didn't disturb us while sleeping.
Location is fantastic, lovely beach and pool. Good choice of poolside seating and views of the ocean. The pool isn't huge but good for a dip. There is one tennis court which is perfectly functional. Racquet hire is free.
Food wise the restaurant serves good quality food. The a la carte menu is somewhat limited but two out of 5 nights we had buffets (both different) which added to the variety. A lot of people have commented on cost. The restaurant food prices are very expensive and are pushed up because of the celebrity chef that runs the kitchens. So is it worth the price?.... The food quality is excellent and innovative but the service that comes with it does not reflect it. We would have to ask for drinks twice, would get the wrong food and some parts of our orders were occasionally forgotten. With the price you're paying you don't expect that. The staff need some real help in delivering fine dining, or the prices and whole dining experience need toning down.
Other meals were good though, breakfast had everything you'd want and lunch seems to have been fixed as there are now sandwich options and lighter bites available.
Building work seems to be quieter than other reviews suggest so it must be improving, it did not disturb our stay at all.
During the day there are many activities laid on (volleyball, soccer, kava tasting, singing etc) and you can take part or leave be as you wish.
Another note would be on transfers. If you are trying to get to the resort any other way than from the Sheraton Denerau on the standard ferry you will find it very difficult. It is possible but it is hard and we found the support from the resort to be completely lacking and disjointed. We thought we could let them know the problem and they would have a number of options for us but no such luck. We got it sorted but beware!
Related to this is the general responsiveness and initiative that seems absent in the staff. As an example, I had arranged this as a surprise for our engagement. Emails had been going back and forth for a couple of weeks and my questions weren't getting answered, responses were slow and nothing got sorted. I wasn't happy and said as much. On arrival there was no mention of any of this, no apology and nothing 'special' given that it was for an engagement. I didn't expect the world but just some of the little touches could have made such a big difference.
So there are things to work on as mentioned and our recommendation to the Sheraton would be to appoint a customer relations person who is your go to person and gets things sorted. Equally someone patrolling the restaurant at night checking everything is in order would help too.
All in all we had a fantastic time here and were pleased with what we got based on previous reviews. If the Sheraton work on the above the 5 stars will be well deserved.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the stunning Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island, Fiji. The tropical island is located in the idyllic Mamanuca Group, about 1 hour ferry ride from Port Denarau. Luxurious facilities, world-class service and beautiful surrounds await for your perfect holiday in Fiji. Enjoy villa-style accommodation, fine dining at Flying Fish Tokoriki, a full service spa and a wide range of family activities. Starwood Preferred Guest(R) members receive complimentary in room internet and 15% dining discount when booking direct. Book direct today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amunuca Island Hotel Tokoriki Island
- Amunuca Island Tokoriki
- Amunuca Island Resort Fiji