“Best Honeymoon Ever!!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tokoriki Island
Sydney
“Best Honeymoon Ever!!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2007

My husband and I had booked our honeymoon on Tokoriki back in November and were scared to go after reading some of the bad reviews on here. But we need not have worried as it turned out to be way beyond our expectations. Sure it has a smallish beach compared to some of the other islands, but that does not take away from this island at all. My husband and I both grew up in Paradise on the beach in Australia, and this is one of the best places we have stayed. The staff are more than friendly, the service was above 5 star, the venue, the bure's, the facilities and the activities were all amazing. This island truly is paradise. If your main priority is a large beach, then choose an island that has one, but I can guarantee that you will find it hard to beat the all round experience you get at Tokoriki. I've been to Fiji and it's islands more than 10 times in my life, and this was definitely one of the best trips there. Thank you to Penyioni, Joe, Jerry, Neville and staff for making it such a mind blowing experience. We can't wait to tell all our friends, family and colleagues. I have enclosed a picture of me on a hammock outside our bure - just amazing!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Food
3 Thank Ozfuninsun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed January 20, 2007

2 main problems with the resort.
1. No beach
We booked our wedding at Tokowrongy - a 'beach wedding'. But there was no beach!! Well a very small one - Not the tropical island paradise beach you would expect from a £500 a night + food!!! Fijian paradise. Especially when your wedding is a beach one. Apparently the beach was washed away 6 months prior! I suppose the owners neglected to inform the travel companies - Is this mis-selling???
2. God awfull food!
I kid you not!! I have never eaten such bad food in all my life. If MacDonnalds opened a franchise then they would clean up - That's how bad it is.
Food and surroundings make a holiday to remember - I unfortunatley am still getting over indegestion from the buckets of chips I had to endure as the only semi edible food source.
The ingredients were rubbish - Tough meat (like rubber) every day. limp salads (warm) burnt pizza (with corners cut off where burnt) the list is endless - one consistent thing is that it was all of a very poor standard.
To summerise - Fantastic accommodation - whoever built the resort had an attention to detail that lives up to the 5 star write up. Poor management - Whoever ownes the resort now has not a clue - It feels as though it's just a cash cow with no consideration for the guests Bad ownership/management.
I am sure the workers do thier best but they have rubbish direction!!!
One final thing - DONT BET ON THE CRAB RACE.
The guests had about $800 on the board up for grabs - I came second. They gave us all the winnings in the form of vouchers for the horrendiously over priced boutique shop - We all complained (as we did not know this untill the END!!) And got the money knocked off our bill - The explanation for the management was that ''they used to give the winnings in cash but people complained that they ould rather have vouchers to spend in the boutique shop' - I could not believe the explanation did they think we were fools?? Obviously - for booking Tokowrongy! - Never again - BE WARNED! No beach, no food!
6 Star Accomodation
0 Star food (being generous)
4 Star Island upkeep
0 Star Beach
3 Star service (they done thier best)

Stayed January 2007
12 Thank neilstorm
GMTokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2016
Bula
It's been 9 years since your review and we wanted to let you know that Tokoriki has recently been voted the #1 Hotel in Fiji and #1 Hotel in the South Pacific and #16 Hotel in the world and is now an adults only resort....we have grown to 36 bures and pool villas and in February this year added a state of the art kitchen for our talented chefs, along with a new restaurant and cocktail bar and Fiji's best heli pad over the ocean at the end of the jetty. Mother nature has been kind to us and our beach is looking great. Do let us know should you wish to return to experience the new Tokoriki so that we can arrange your return guest treats. Vinaka!
UK
Reviewed January 20, 2007

If you're after a beach holiday with remotely edible food then don't go! There was only a small patch of beach with sand and this was covered in rotting seaweed. I believe they tried to clear this every morning but only shifted it to one end of the island which created a gut wrenching smell along the beach. We attempted to swim in the sea but after wading through the thick seaweed once was enough. And a walk along the beach was completly out of the question due to the lack of one. We choose Tokoriki for our beach wedding, which I had arranged directly with them but when we arrived the 'beach' infact consisted of rocks and seaweed! Luckily on the big day they did make the small part of beach clean - still whiffy though! We aired our concern to the manager only to be told that the sand had been washed away some 6 months ago.So why when we booked a beach wedding were we never told!!! We had dreamt of a beautiful South Pacific wedding/holiday only to be very disappointed.
And the food!!! You could loosley call it edible. We dreaded every mealtime wondering what awful dishes we would be served. Not one out of the 6 days we were there did we have something that was half decent. A steak so tough that 4 people tried to cut through it but had no joy. Curry made with the same steak next day. And the next day a steak sandwich made with the same steak. How did we know - it was tougher than my flip flop! Being seafood lovers we thought that this would have been the ideal destination. Again we thought wrong! It was awful! We spoke to some people that had actually been ill and they believed from the seafood.The food was like nowhere else we had been. WIth only 1 restaurant to choose from we were actually glad to be leaving and heading to sydney for some decent food. Apart from all this, the sunset villas were beautiful, the snorkelling (not directly available from the island) was amazing and we met some lovely people. But think again before you book. We will not be going back for our anniversary that's for sure!

11 Thank SuzanneUk
GMTokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2016
Bula SuzanneUK
It's been a few years since your review and we wanted to let you know that Tokoriki has recently been voted the #1 Hotel in Fiji and #1 Hotel in the South Pacific and #16 Hotel in the world and is now an adults only resort....we have grown to 36 bures and pool villas and in February this year added a state of the art kitchen for our talented chefs, along with a new restaurant and cocktail bar and Fiji's best heli pad over the ocean at the end of the jetty. Mother nature has been kind to us and our beach is looking great. Do let us know should you wish to return to experience the new Tokoriki so that we can arrange your return guest treats. Vinaka!
N.S.W
Reviewed January 17, 2007

What a fantastic place to get married!!! My husband and i stayed at Tokoriki for 7 nights and didn't want to leave. The sunset pool villas were like nothing we'd ever seen, sooo beautiful!! The staff on the island were also fantastic with nothing too much trouble for them. Reading some of the other reviews where people were complaining makes me wonder if they were staying on the same island!!! I couldn't think of one bad thing about the place.
The other people staying at the resort were really friendly, while we were getting married (8/1/07) a couple who were watching on the side line took some pictures of the ceromony and then got our address and sent them to us, it was great getting them in the mail when we got home!
I would highly recommend planning your next holiday at Tokoriki Island if you love friendly people, great food & cocktails, sun, sand and just relaxing by the pool.

5 Thank age2bee
london
Reviewed January 9, 2007

arrived 31.12.06 till 8.1. 07. on arrival we were told the beach had washed away 6 months ago for most of the resort. we were lucky and had a little beach in front of our bure but there was a lot of rotting seaweed that they moved daily to the end of the beach where it was left to rot and smell. bure great, pool very nice, staff very poor service, white wine served warm towards end of meal and told to leave in ice bucket to cool down! The food was very disappointing not to the standard as you would expect looking at the standard of the bure's. Many people before we left complained about their bill, having items removed they argued they hadn't paid for.
My sunglasses and mobile phone went missing from the poolside. The glasses were handed in the next day but the mobile was missing for 3 days. When the manager gave me the phone he told me the maid had found it in my waste bin in my room and she had thought I had thrown it away so took it, then after the management enquired she returned it to the lost and found! Very suspect with little explanation.
overall we had a nice time but were left feeling it could be so much better. The food and drinks were very expensive and some of the staff just couldn't be bothered.

• Liked — bure
  • Disliked — beach, staff, expensive drinks /food
7 Thank jonfurniss
Bula jonfurniss
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2007

We stayed at Tokoriki for our honeymoon from the 6th to the 12th of December 2006. Our travel agent mucked up our booking (we were meant to stay at Taveuni Palms) so we got a room upgrade to the Sunset Pool Villas, plus helicopter transfers.

I have lived in Fiji before this so maybe I'm biased or have an idea of what to expect, but my wife and I both found our time on Tokoriki to be truly memorable and relaxing. However there were a couple of downers...

From what I saw, Tokoriki is designed purely for couples who want to relax and to mainly stick to themselves (e.g. honeymooners), but with social interaction if they want it - and both of these things they do extremely well. The staff only talk to you if you talk to them first, they do not force activities on to anybody etc. etc. We were there during the coup (it all happened without our knowing as there are no TV's on the island) so we were lucky in that it was quieter than usual.

Accomodation: If you can afford to stay in a Sunset Pool Villa then I whole heartedly recommend it, though a 'normal' villa is still more than enough for anyone (really the only difference is that you don't get a pool or day bed). The beds and other furniture is comfortable, everything is kept squeaky clean and the villas are modern and not too small. We were in the first of the pool villas, and it was about a five minute walk to the main area. WARNING: It is a tropical island, so you have to expect that there will be bugs and spiders and geckos coming into your room if you leave the doors open. They are however screens on some of the windows, and the bed has a mosquito net.

Food: If you are on the meal plan (like we were) the food is good and plentiful - we were full after every meal. You get a buffet breakfast + hot meal if you want it, a two course lunch and a three course dinner. WARNING: If you go expecting five star food, then you will not get it. It sounds good on the menu, but they end up being quite basic (meat and three veg, or pizza, or salad, or a traditional fijian dish etc). ALSO, I had chilli prawns on the last night we were there and spent the whole night on the toilet with a really bad case of diarrohea.

Drinks: We are non-alcoholics, and there was a very large range of drinks available to us. From what I saw there also seemed to be quite a large range of alcholic drinks.

Resort Area: The resort grounds are cleaned and maintained very well. The main pool is a large infinity pool, and there is also a secondary smaller pool that is used mainly for diving lessons, though anyone can swim in it. There is plenty of shade to sit under, and quite a few deck chairs (though in December when it can be quite hot, a lot of them aren't in the shade). WARNING: If you come expecting a long pure white sandy beach that Fiji is famous for, then you WILL be disappointed. Except for the furthest end away from the pool villas, the beach has been eroded, and all that is left are rocks. On the other side of the island is a long and uneroded beach that is really nice - however to get there is a half-hour walk up and down a very steep hill. Yes, there is seaweed but we didn't find it smelly, and there is a crew of 5 or 6 people that work all day every day cleaning it up. If they do put it in front of the pool villas, it must have been someone else's because we didn't see any out the front of ours.

Staff: The slogan of Tokoriki is "Arrive as guests, leave as friends" and we certainly found this to be absolutely true. The staff will take the effort to learn your names and if you make a little bit of effort to talk to them they will return your efforts a hundred fold. But like I said back in the beginning, if you keep to yourself, they will assume that is what you want and will only disturb you when necessary. They also sing a hello song and a goodbye song for every couple that comes to the island.

Activites: We did a complimentary snorkelling trip which was fantastic, had a massage (they have their own massage centre), did basket weaving and I did a diving course. The snorkelling trip was good enough for us - however if you want to go out to the more unusual spots that's when you have to pay for it - and remember prices are in fijian dollars which is generally weaker than most other currencies ($65 FJD is about $50 AUD) and the prices are about the same as other resorts. The massage was worth it too so I'd recommend that. The other smaller activities vary on a day-to-day basis (e.g. basket weaving, coconut sessions etc.)

Diving: The diving is fantastic. I did my Scuba Diver course while we were there, and Will and Alex who run the fully equipped dive shop are professionals and are very good at what they do. If you go to the resort at a quiet time you will more than likely get one-on-one sessions. I have only been diving once before in New Guinea so can't really compare Tokoriki's dive sites to anywhere else but you will see a large range of fish, some giant clams, and some really beautiful coral - and maybe a stingray or two.

Overall: Tokoriki advertises itself to be a five star resort, and while we had the best time and have rated our experience as excellent (it really was overall), there are a few too many disappointments to make this a truly five star resort. If you want the pure white beach, staff at your every beck and call, five star food, like-a-movie experience, you will not get it here. It fills a gap in the upper-mid-range priced market that honeymooners and the like who are on a once in a lifetime holiday can afford without going to the next level (e.g. Vatulele, Wakaya etc.)

• Liked — The private pool and the comfortable bed
  • Disliked — The lack of beach
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring sunscreen!
8 Thank TheTravellingMuzza
new addington
Reviewed December 16, 2006

We stay at Tokoriki, and was terrible!!! We booked Tokoriki,
to relax at the beach and swimming in the blue water but .......
You could’nt!!!! See my pictures ..... You have, rocky beach in front of hotel, with a lot of seaweed and a lot of smell!!!
That is the lovely "PARADISE" for 1000 F$ a day!!!!
The bure are nice, and the pool comfortable, but we went to a island to spend our days at the beach and water an not stay in the room or at pool!!!
The staff are not so friendly told, the food service is terrible you can wait for a dishes 30-40 minutes!!!!!
The excursion are overprice 2,5 hours snorkeling trips to Castaway island 10 m by boat F$65 per person!!!!!
Honeymooners be aware, all the seaweed are store at the end of the beach, just in front of Honeymoon villas!!!!

• Liked — the bure
  • Disliked — the beach-location -water and the terrible service
  • Tips/Secrets — mana island or matamanoa island are much much better
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
25 Thank dou21
Bula dou21
It's been 10 years since your review and we wanted to let you know that Tokoriki has recently been voted the #1 Hotel in Fiji and #1 Hotel in the South Pacific and #16 Hotel in the world and is now an adults only resort....we have grown to 36 bures and pool villas and in February this year added a state of the art kitchen for our talented chefs, along with a new restaurant and cocktail bar and Fiji's best heli pad over the ocean at the end of the jetty. Mother nature has been kind to us and our beach is looking great. Do let us know should you wish to return to experience the new Tokoriki so that we can arrange your return guest treats. Vinaka!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tokoriki Island
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Tokoriki Island Resort? Share your experiences!