“Paradise Found”

Tokoriki Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tokoriki Island
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Summary:
Tokoriki Island Resort provides excellent accommodation, meals and activities on a beautiful tropical island about 30km from Nadi, Fiji. It's a 4.5 star resort rating but delivers a 5 star service in every way (island style).

Arriving at Tokoriki Island Resort:
Check-in is nominally at noon. If taking a South Sea Cruises connection from Denarau Marina, you'll arrive on one of the two daily sailings at around 10:15am or 4.50pm. It's a wonderful arrival! Staff sing and welcome you at the boat with coconut shell leis. Check-in formalities are then done in the lounge over a welcome drink and a cold towel. There are helicopter transfers available too that take just 15 minutes from Nadi airport or Denarau.

Tokoriki Island Resort itself:
This is a beautiful place - lovely gardens, pool, white sandy beaches, clear sea waters. The accommodation, food and activities are all excellent with much attention to detail. No children are permitted and it's mostly couples, so the resort has a quieter, more serene feel.

Rooms:
I stayed in both a deluxe beach bure and a sunset pool villa. While the deluxe beach bure is excellent, the sunset pool villas is magnificent with its own pool and cabana. Both types of accommodation are beautifully furnished. There is no TV or phone in the rooms but I didn't miss them - it made my stay more relaxing. I did however use my iPhone for WiFi internet which is available in the lobby/lounge area.

Meals:
I took the meal plan and was not disappointed. Food is delicious, very well presented and there is plenty of choice. The menu changes every day. There are some theme nights too which are fun. Try the kava if you are brave enough (haha)! At lunch and dinner there is live entertainment from Fijian singers. And each day has a happy hour with discounted drinks. There are some tables right at the sea side which can be reserved for a very romantic and private dinner.

Activities:
There's more than enough on offer each day: village visits, diving trips, treking, water sports, fishing, snorkelling and a lot more. Snorkelling on the nearby home reef was wonderful. I also did lots of swimming. And each day there are different demonstrations of Fijian culture. It's interesting to learn the many uses from a single coconut tree.

Tokoriki Island Resort staff and management:
Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and it's amazing how they all remember your name. Always smiling. Often singing (haha). The managers mingle with the guests and go out of their way to personally make sure your stay is great.

Leaving Tokoriki Island Resort:
Check-out is nominally at 10:00am which fits in perfectly with the South Sea Cruises connection to Denarau Marina which departs the resort at around 10.15am. But if you have a late flight, I highly recommend to stay around the resort for the day and catch the 4:50pm departure which arrives at Denarau Marina at 6:00pm. It's so much nicer than spending the time at Nadi airport!

Room Tip: The sunset pool villas are magnificent.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Austman_1
gmtokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2011

Bula QantasWP, thank you for your very articulate review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed all aspects of what Tokoriki has to offer. On your next trip you may wish to try arriving by helicopter (stay 7 nights and enjoy free heli transfers from 1 Dec to 31 May 2012). It's a great way to arrive and see all the beautiful Fijian islands on the way (15min flight). Seaplane option also available as is a private boat charter if your flight arrives after dark. I noticed that you have contributed over 59 reviews and visited over 126 cities on your travels around the world, so a big vinaka again for your wonderful review of Tokoriki Island Resort (as you certainly have experienced many hotels and resorts). We are a 4.5 star resort and as you say offer 5 star service!. Cold towels delivered to you while lazing around the pool and of course a Tokoriki bookmark for your book!. Doesnt get much better than that...Vinaka from all the team at Tokoriki Island Resort.

There are newer reviews for Tokoriki Island Resort

Reviewed November 23, 2011

We are a young couple who just spent four nights at this resort for our honeymoon after spending six nights at the Sheraton on the main land. My new husband and I arrived at Tokoriki with wonderful bright expectations because of all the positive reviews that we had read on trip adviser.
My review is a bit different as it goes from bad, very bad to the positives at the end.

The Bad - The first day we arrived at Tokoriki we sat in the restaurant to have breakfast and we overheard another guest complaining to his waiter that his bacon was dry and his mushrooms where slimy and tasted revolting. My husband and I never complain about anything and are very positive people so we decided to not let the comments bother us and enjoy our breakfast. When my husbands bacon arrived it was dry and hard and the mushrooms where slimy. My husband said to me that he could now understand why the other guest had complained. I had the eggs benedict which was not the best but after that day was the only thing my husband ordered for his breakfast for the rest of our stay. Also the staff do not remember or refer to guests by their name, we did not see any staff referring to guests by name. I think this must be a marketing ploy.

Now for our real complaint- BEWARE OF EATING THE LOVO!!!! Lovo is a traditional Fijian cook up which consists of meat and vegetables being cooked under ground. Tokoriki have this as a theme night every Wednesday night and I would reccomend avoiding it at all costs if you don't want to get food poisoning. My husband and I have never been so sick in all our lives! It wasn't us that got sick that night from the food either because I talked to many guests the next day who said they where very sick from eating the meat also.My husband and I never get sick but as soon as I ate the meat I felt so sick. We are pretty sure that it was the chicken as it tasted and smelt off. My husband and I went back to our bure and at 1am I woke up and ran to the bathroom and then began 17 hours of being violently ill. My husband woke at 2am and was the same as I was, constant vomiting and diarrhoea, shaking and sweating. My husband said to me many times that he felt like he was dying. It was only lucky that I had bought a packet of gastro stop and nurofen with us from Australia, we went through those two entire packets of tablets between us in the 17 hour period. We could not get out of bed for hours and somehow my husband found the strength to walk to reception to tell management we where sick while he was buying bottles of water. The owner was so uninterested and unsympathetic she gave him a packet of plain jatz biscuits to take back to our room as our compensation. She also dismissed it saying that it was common for Westerners to get sick from eating Vomo. If you know it makes Westerners so sick, don't you think you should advise guests to eat it at their own risk??? If I knew it would have made us so sick we would not have eaten it, but a sign up or some notification would have been helpful.
No staff came to check on us or make sure we where ok, there is NO nurse or doctor on the island for a medical emergency. I am only grateful that I was not pregnant otherwise who knows what would have happened!
We could not eat for 24 hours and could not even eat dinner that night. It was such a shame that we spent the last day of our honeymoon in bed being so sick. With no compassion shown towards us, we where just conveniently left and forgotten abut by the owners/management of Tokoriki.
The next day was our check out and although we had stopped vomiting our stomaches felt so terrible. We spoke to the manager and asked him to remove the Lovo off our bill as it had made us so terribly sick and meant that we had not enjoyed our last day on the island.
The manager was nice and apologised to us, however he said that the owners did not want to take the meal valued at $45 Australian per person off our bill. When we asked to speak to the owners the manager went to see if they would come out of hiding, however he came back and said that the owners did not want to discuss it with us and that they would only take one meal off the bill. I was sooooo disgusted that the owners did not want to see us, they could have come out to check how we where feeling. But all we got was a packet of biscuits and one meal taken off the bill! Poor customer service considering we had paid so much money to honeymoon at their resort! Now when we have arrived home and family and friends ask how our honeymoon was we tell them the negatives first before the few positives. Come on Tokoriki you have the potential to be a far better resort then the way you treated us! I think if guests are prepared to pay top dollar then management and owners need to step up and treat guests with alot more thought and compassion, rather then seen as a dollar signs in your back pocket!

The Good - When we arrived there was a fantastic welcome committee of friendly faces who sang to us on the beach as we arrived, That was a really nice touch. The pool is amazing as are the sunsets. I would highly recommend the sunset dinner on the private deck one night during your stay, this was the highlight of our stay at Tokoriki. We ordered the seafood platter and it was honestly the best sea food we ever ate. But be warned it is HUGE so you need to make sure you are hungry.
My husband and I did not order the meal plan and we are so thankful that we didn't. I personally think it is a rip off and if you decide to miss a meal such as lunch you do not get a refund or a credit to anything. Most days we just ordered breakfast and dinner and cocktails of course. I did like the beach and going out to do a village tour was very interesting and worth while. It is just a shame that our honeymoon was an anticlimax after how we where treated so poorly, but hopefully after this review Tokoriki will improve their medical standards if other guests fall ill and need urgent medical treatment. Rather then just being left to suffer.
It is sad to say that we could not get back to the mainland soon enough!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank traveller70296
gmtokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Tokoriki Island Resort. We really appreciate all comments from our guests however I must say that your comments come as a complete surprise. Our Duty Manager did visit you in your room and all of our key team members are fully trained in first aid and have just undergone the most recent update in first aid training and we have a state of the art first aid kit as the health & safety of our guests is paramount. The Fiji Fire Department has conducted and certified the resort and the Tokoriki team with Fire Training as well as our Occupational Health and Safety committee attended the latest OH&S training with the Fiji Government. Our first aid and safety training is indeed first class and up to date. Plus if requested our island nurse would have definitely attended to you. Please understand that we all at Tokoriki are very sorry that you were not feeling well on your last day and if you check with your husband he will agree that the offer of dry crackers (not by our owner as our owners were not on the island during your stay) was not a form of compensation, but merely an offer of care.
We have checked our logs and it appears that your issues were isolated to yourself and your husband and we strongly disclaim your accusation of contaminated food.
The Fijian Lovo is a traditional cultural event prepared by fully trained Chefs with the highest quality meats and local produce and has been around for many centuries. The Lovo is also a highlight for our guests along with the local village entertainment dancers who perform weekly, followed by a traditional kava ceremony. Guests with sensitive constitutions can have an adverse affect from drinking kava perhaps this is the case for you? One of the biggest comments from our in house guests comment forms is how amazed they are that the Tokoriki team remembered their names. We are proud of our team who care and go out of their way to ensure the best experience for our guests. It seems that you may have missed your mark on that comment based on the many trip advisor comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your big bula welcome on the beach, our amazing pool, the beautiful Tokoriki sunsets and your huge seafood platter on the private deck overlooking the ocean. Vinaka

Reviewed November 23, 2011

My husband and I went to Tokoriki in September for our honeymoon. I had done alot of research on where to go and changed my mind alot - we decided to go to Tokoriki for 5 nights instead of go to a cheaper plan for say 10 nights. I am so happy we went with Tokoriki - it was absolute luxury!

As I said I did alot of reseach and I thought I knew what to expect but I was blown away! Although we didn't stay in the most expensive bure the one we were in was still amazing, close to the beach, we were lucky enough to be close to the main facilities, the outdoor shower was exactly what we needed.

We had the meal plan and I thought it was very convenient - you don't have to worry about anything! I am very very fussy with breakfast and wished there could have been a bit more of a selection - however as I said I am very fussy with breakfast. We loved the lunch and dinner menu, and never had a problem with the variety of food offered. The range of cocktails were great and each day they have special cocktails.

We did alot of snorkeling and hanging around on the kayaks - there is also great half day/day different trips you can go on.

The staff really made our trip. Everyone knew our name and everyone was so friendly and helpful.

Oh and I highly recommend catching a helicopter - we got a helicopter there and caught the boat back. The boat was horrible compared to the serene peice and quiet we had been in all day - there were kids and lots and lots of people, just like the air port. It would be good to create a total child free holiday - a plane ride, boat ride and resort completely child free!!!

I highly recommend this resort to anyone and everyone! I wish I was there right now even if it was just for a night.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank p_canberra
gmtokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Bula and vinaka for your wonderful comments on your recent honeymoon at Tokoriki Island Resort. We are delighted that we delivered beyond your expectations! Our Deluxe Bures are all located beachfront, freestanding, air conditioned (which is needed in the tropics) plus ceiling fans and as you mentioned a romantic outdoor rock wall shower under the stars.We have just introduced some new breakfast items such as poached fresh pineapple with star anise, natural yoghurt with tropical fruits, French toast with Fiji honey and local sugar bananas, more bread/toast choices with island made preserves just to name a few! (you will need to return to enjoy). Thank you for your comments on our team members regarding remembering your names - it certainly is one of the many talents that we treasure of our talented team.

Yes the helicopter transfer is a highlight. Stay for 7 days from 1 Dec 2011 to 31 May 2012 and you will enjoy complimentary return heli transfers per person (2 max) staying in a Deluxe bure or the Sunset Pool villas. A real treat and available through all travel agents or on our website. Thank you again for visiting our child free romantic island hideaway...

Reviewed November 20, 2011

No children!! Need I say any more.

This resort is one of the most beautiful and relaxing places I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

The staff are so welcoming and friendly, nothing is too much of a bother for them. They all were funny and attentive and surprisingly knew our names by the second day.

We stayed in a Beach Villa and we loved it. It was private, with direct access to stunning beach. Each villa has their own sun lounges and hammock.

The pool area is beautiful. We never had any issues getting a deck chair and were happy to sit for hours looking at the uninterrupted beach views while sipping sensational cocktails.

Our only complaint is that we only stayed here three days. This was not enough time to do everything we wanted to. There are so many activities that you can choose to take part in or you can simply lay by your pool.

We arrived on the island by helicopter and left with the island hopper boat. Next time we will take the helicopter in both directions. The island hopper boat was quoted by south seas cruises as only taking 1hr 20 minutes, however you need to get a small boat from Tokoriki to another island which was about half and hour away, we then waited at this island for around 40 minutes for the actual boat to pick us up and then that trip took another 2 hours. The helicopter takes around 15 minutes and is well worth the extra money.

We can't wait to go back next year

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SydneyLeones
gmtokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Bula and thank you for your review on your stay with us. Tokoriki is one of the few luxury resorts in Fiji that is for adults only. We are so proud of our team, and yes they remember guests' names which makes the resort so personal yet at the same time unobtrusive.

The pool has enough deck chairs for our guests so there is no need to get up early and reserve one. It's such a rare thing these days! Next visit, you will have to stay at least 5 days just to enjoy all our wonderful facilities.

We apologise on behalf of the Sth Seas Cruises boat transfer on your departure, as that is not the normal route. They had boat issues that day and unfortunately your travel time was extended. The heli is certainly the ultimate way to arrive - 12-15mins and you are on your deck chair sipping cocktails. We look forward to welcoming you 'home' to Tokoriki next year, until then keep up to date with our Facebook page for all the new and exciting ventures. Vinaka from all the team at Tokoriki Island Resort.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Wonderful resort in the Mamanuca Islands of Fiji. Definitely recommend visiting the workers village just 15min boat ride away.

Room Tip: We stayed in the beachside bure and it was wonderful with it's outdoor shower and outside hammoc...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank medicnat
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We love tokoriki,we have stayed twice and are booked in for 5 nights in January.it is the most relaxing place on earth,staff are so nice,friendly and helpful,love the sunset pool villas,we prefer to stay for a short but luxury holiday and the pool villas are well worth the extra cost.we don't take the meal plan as we are oldies!!! And just could not eat that much,we do have lots of cocktails,they are just great, the outdoor showers are great,did not think I would use it but didn't use the indoor one at all?cannot wait to get back

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank Lynnemary

Bula vinaka, we are delighted you are returning 'home' to Tokoriki in January and I look forward to personally welcoming you back. You will enjoy our new Spa with relaxing treatments and great views. The Oishii Teppanyaki Bure is also a new addition and only seats 4 couples, please drop me an email prior to your arrival should you wish to make reservation to ensure you experience the amazing talents of our wonderful Teppan Chef. The Sunset Pool Villas (only 8) are stunning and should you have a prefrence in location, let me know so that we can make the request for you. Until January, have a wonderful Christmas and New Year from all the team at Tokoriki! Vinaka. gm@tokoriki.com

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Catie and I spent 5 days at Tokoriki for our honeymoon. We stayed in one of the pool villas and quite simply, our stay was superb! We were looked after so well by all the team, and in particular, Ramsay, Vika, Moses, Joshua and Joe.

The resort is beautifully kept with plenty of space and it felt like you had your own beach.

The food was superb - a particular thank you to Rainal, the Head Chef and his team - I'm lucky enough to have eaten at some of the top restaurants in the world, such as Cafe Sydney or Icebergs in Australia through to the Belvedere in London and Versace's restaurant in Miami - and was very impressed by the standard of cooking.

Would we return...most definitely!!! Although it is reasonably expensive, its certainly not expensive compared to the prices we would in Australia - in fact, great value...and the relaxation you get is amazing!! Wonderful!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DavidWilman

Bula and a huge vinaka for your great review on your recent honeymoon. The team have asked me to pass on their big bula smile and it was their pleasure to look are you.

The talented landscaping team love their work and we are very proud of our garden of Eden!! As all our bures are beachfront and surrounded by lush tropical gardens you do get the feeling you have the resort and beach to yourself.

Chef Rainal is extremely humbled with your comments on his food standards especially putting his food up there with the top restaurants of the world that you have experienced. Our International Chef Program ensures our local Chefs are fully trained, inspired and very creative with their daily changing menus. You must try Chef Rainal's super seafood platter on your next visit (a new creation since your stay). We will keep you posted on our Facebook page when and whom our next International visiting Chef will be!. We look forward to your next visit, just let us know when you are arriving!. Moce from all the team at Tokoriki.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tokoriki Island
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Tokoriki Island Resort? Share your experiences!