Tokoriki Island Resort
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island(Tokoriki Island)
$325
Sheraton.com
  • Beachfront
1,572 results
All reviewsband boyssunset pool villaoutdoor showerour honeymoonmeal planwelcome songteppanyaki restaurantrecommend tokorikitokoriki familyprivate beach picnicvisited tokorikihelicopter transferfresh flowersdive shopheaven on earthmain poolwelcome home
Reviewed March 31, 2011

My husband and I spent 8 nights at Tokoriki Island Resort in March 2011 and had a great time. So very relaxing and no children allowed. From the time we arrived by helicopter we were greeted by friendly Fijians who could not do enough to make our stay perfect.

The resort is paradise on earth. Immaculate. We could hear staff quietly sweeping the paths early in the morning and nothing ever looked dirty or grimy. We stayed in a Deluxe Beach Bure which we booked through Travel Online, together with return helicopter transfers from Nadi and a two for 1 meal plan. Strongly recommend guests take the meal plan as this included a hot meal with the continental breakfast; 2 course lunch and 3 course dinner every day. Meals were of excellent quality and the serving size was more than ample. We were never left hungry. Main meals ranged from FJD 30 to FJD 60 if you don’t have a meal plan. Desserts (about FJD 20 each) are yummy so leave the diet until after your return home. I estimate that the meal plan was worth about FJD 300 per day to the 2 of us.

Tokoriki has a well stocked bar and cocktails were FJD 21 each. Non alcoholic cocktails ranged in price from FJD 8.50 to FJD 12.50. Local beer was FJD 9.50 and FJD 10.50 each. My husband recommends the Vonu.

Water on the island is drinkable and tastes fine however was produced from Tokoriki's desalination plant. Maybe this was the reason why I was getting up 3 or 4 times a night to visit the bathroom. Next time I would bring lots of bottled water onto the island just like some other couples did.

Our Deluxe Beach Bure was very comfortable. See photos attached and video I have uploaded to You Tube (Search for Tokoriki Island Resort March 2011). We felt this was better value compared to the Sunset Pool Villas which were approximately $1,300 AUD more per week. The Sunset Pool Villas have a plunge pool and are a bit bigger but our Deluxe Beach Bure was more than adequate. We stayed in bure 17 which was some way away from the main bure – at my request. After reading other Trip Adviser reports we had asked for a quiet bure and ours was the furthest away from the main bure, staff quarters and power generator and was near the resort owners private quarters. Between us and the owners residence there were 3 "supersized" Sunset Pool Villas. Another 5 standard Sunset Pool Villas are located at the other end of the resort along with Deluxe Beach Bures 18 through to 28 or so. The main bure, infinity pool and dive centre are in the middle and a concrete path connects everything. There is no TV in the guest rooms but a TV room is located upstairs in the main bure for important events like the rugby world cup. The Tokoriki staff are mad keen rugby fans. Our bure had all the necessities like air conditioning, internal safe, king size bed (very comfortable – no back ache), iron and ironing board and 2 sun lounges outside. I did take a laptop and used it to play music and watch an occasional movie at night. This was very worthwhile.
The beach was only metres away from our bure. Thongs (jandals) were essential as the lawn had bindis. I snorkelled straight off the beach in front of our bure, no rocks to climb over. Bures at the other end of the resort had steps down onto the beach and some rocks to manoeuvre before taking a dip. The coral and fish life was fabulous even on the Tokoriki Island home reef. The resort offered a complimentary round the island snorkel trip which was excellent value - free. The dive centre also operates several tours to snorkel sites, other islands and a local Fijian village. Very worthwhile and affordable. Make sure you book your boat trips as soon as you get onto the island otherwise you could easily miss out as places are limited.

The resort also has a spa. We indulged in a couples massage and I also had a pedicure. The prices were good value compared to Australian prices. Massage FJD 120 each and pedicure FJD 85 which was a bit more than half of the price at home. The spa girls were very helpful however I am not sure that their skills matched their enthusiasm.

Tipping is not encouraged at Tokoriki Island Resort but instead you are able to make a contribution to the staff Christmas Party. A tip for when paying your bill. Even EFTPOS is deemed to be a credit card payment and will incur a 3% surcharge. A bit annoying that they then apply another % tax onto the grossed up bill. This worked out to be a bit more than 3.5% being added to our bill in total. Next time I would take cash FJD.

Would recommend Tokoriki Island Resort to adults looking to unwind and or rekindle the romance. A number of guests were honeymooners but many were also middle aged like us. Lots of free stuff to do if you want to do it otherwise you could just hang by the pool and catch up on some reading and/or sleeping. Included at no additional cost were the catamarans, double or single kayaks (the single ones have a clear bottom for fish and coral viewing), snorkelling gear and the resort also has a tennis court and volleyball too. The staff have regular touch footy and volleyball challenge matches with guests or you could take a walk on the track up the hill to the lookout. Evening entertainment included events such as lovo night (a traditional hangi type feast), crab racing (watch out for bookmaker Moses), Kava tasting and a native villagers concert (song and dance, very entertaining).

Tips:
1. Make sure you know exactly how you will get to Tokoriki from the airport. We waited from 5.15am until 8am for our ride to the helipad so we could transfer to Tokoriki;
2. Internet is available through the Tomizone (a New Zealand company) Hotspot located at the Tokoriki Resort. Suggest you sign up for the 7 day package at FJD 50 as the service is very sporadic and may not work at all for hours or even a day. Could be costly if you only purchase for 1 day and then can’t get on;
3. If you want phone access, make sure you buy a prepaid sim for your mobile at Nadi Airport before leaving for Tokoriki. The Vodafone counter is just on the left once you clear airport checks and is open whilst ever planes are flying in or out of the Airport. I was able to buy a micro sim for my iPhone 4 for FJD 10 and this included FJD 5 in local calls. Handy to chase up our Tokoriki transfer.
4. Be sure to check out the Tokoriki Island Resort Facebook page and the Tokoriki Diving website before leaving home for more information, pictures and stories.

Room Tip: Email the resort your request before leaving home.
3  Thank DragonFan
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Absolutely loved Tokoriki. We booked the travel through Costco Travel (which surprisingly has quite a few options - definitely recommend checking them out) and we stayed in Tokoriki for 7 days in a beachfront bure. The bures were amazing. Every single one of them were right on the water. Quite the backyard. :)

The food was pretty good - after 7 days we did tire of it after a while as some of the options were the same (due to food availability, I'm sure) but nonetheless the lovo night and cookout nights kept things interesting.

We were actually upgraded (for free) to one of the newer private villas the last night of our stay. It was so lush! Definitely recommend going on the excursions, especially the Sacred Islands tour. Those beaches are the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Another highlight of Fiji's charm and culture were the crab racing and the visit to the Yanuya village to meet the school children there and drink kava with the chief. The great thing about Tokoriki is that it offers you access to all the rich Fijian culture (including the Sunday church service in the beautiful chapel) that you want, but if you choose to opt for relaxation only, it has plenty of that as well.

One of the best parts of Tokoriki was not just the amazing secluded setting, but the friends that we made while there. Not just with fellow travelers, but also with the staff.

We would have midnight kava sessions and just sit around and listen to music with some of the staff. Tokoriki's motto is: "Come as a visitor, leave as a friend."

We truly feel like we did. :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angela D
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in March. The setting was absolutely beautiful. We were expecting an island paradise and that's what we got. As soon as you arrive and see the white, sandy beaches, palm trees and turquoise water, you feel instantly relaxed.

We considered a number of island resorts in Fiji but ended up choosing Tokoriki for a few reasons: it was child-free, not too far from the mainland (took about 1 hour & 20 minutes by boat on the way there, and an hour on the way back), and all the bures were on the beach. I'd recommend that if you can afford it, splurge on the helicopter for one of the transfers as it would be a pretty amazing way to arrive on the island.

The best thing about the resort was the beautiful infinity pool. I could have sat there all day. The grounds are lovely and very well maintained. There was a bit of building work going on while we were there but that didn't bother us.

The resort did not feel crowded. Because a number of the bures have their own pool, I think couples must stay there rather than venture to the main pool. As a result, you often felt like you had the resort to yourself as there were not too many people around.

The bures were nice and very clean. The outdoor shower was fantastic - it was lovely showering under the stars at night. All the bures face the beach so the setting is stunning. Having said that, as we were paying AUD 500 a night, we were expecting nothing less! It was expensive and no food was included in this price.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. I'd been told that the food in Fiji can be average. I'd also read a number of reviews of other Fiji resorts where guests had got food poisoning. As Tokoriki is not too far from the mainland, this probably helps ensure that the food brought in is not in transit for too long.

There was a good range of choices on the dinner menu, and the meals were well presented. Breakfast was also excellent. Every afternoon at 4pm, complimentary cake and tea/coffee were served by the pool which was a nice touch. They also have a bar and a very extensive cocktail list. On two nights of the week, the resort hosts a "lovo" which means "earth oven" (essentially food is buried underground with hot coals to cook). This buffet was FJD 150 per person which we thought was a little steep (especially as no dinner alternative was available).

For dinner, there are 4 outside tables that are practically on the beach – a great setting for a meal. We tried to reserve one of these for one of the nights we were there but had no success as they were all booked out. I’d almost suggest emailing the resort ahead of your stay if you want to sit there as it was pretty much impossible to reserve one once you arrived. Perhaps the resort should keep one of the tables free for new guests arriving each day?

There were lots of things to do on the island: free snorkelling, tennis, table tennis, diving, day trips, board games for wet weather etc. Some of the equipment was a little tired - they could do with some new tennis balls! Some of these activities were free and others you had to pay for.

The staff were very friendly and warm. They really did go out of their way to make you feel welcome. There was serenading at dinner, and a welcome and farewell song.

Tokoriki’s setting is stunning. It is the perfect place to go if you are looking for an indulgent and relaxing time, and you are prepared to splurge for the experience.

2  Thank Travelbuddy010
mmm09, Director of Sales at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

Bula Travelbuddy,

Thank you so much for your review. Everything you mentioned was spot on (especially about our pool not being overcrowded even in high season) and is exactly the impression we hope to leave Guests with when they stay with us. One thing I thought I should note is that our Buffets are actually FJD$150 for two people which is approximately AUD$41 per peson. I'm hoping it's a typo but if we did accidentally charge you incorrectly, please let us know as we would like to correct that.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay at Tokoriki Island Resort.

Kind regards,
Tokoriki Team

Reviewed March 15, 2011

My husband and I went to Tokoriki on our honeymoon and we had such a fantastic time. We stayed in a beach bure and loved the room, the beach, the food, the activities and the people. We created some lovely memories here that we will cherish for a lifetime. We can't recommend this resort highly enough. Their tag line is "arrive as a visitor, leave as a friend", this is so true, when we were leaving (and a few other couples as well) we felt like we were leaving a home and family that we came to love. I think enough said, 5 stars from us.

2  Thank SheaCharlish
Reviewed March 13, 2011

My husband and I traveled from the states and stayed here for 5 nights of our honeymoon trip. We chose Tokoriki because during the wet season this is one of the drier islands to go to. It did rain a little each day, but nothing that ruinned our trip. The days were sunny and we had great weather. Tokoriki surpassed our expectations and was very romantic and beautiful. The resort is very professionally run and they don't miss a beat. They decorated our bure with flowers and it was very clean. We had our own pool and an amazing view of the beach. The bures have outdoor showers that are really nice. We didn't even use our indoor showers once while we were there.

There are lots of activities to do while you are there. We went kayaking, snorkeling, and we visited castaway island (where they shot "castaway" with Tom Hanks.

The food was really good, but could use a little more variety. Around the 3rd day we were craving some other tastes.

They serenade you every night during dinner and usually have some event in the evening. We attended the kava tasting and crab race.

They also have 4 small decks on top of the beach for your very own special private dinner. You have to book these in advance and it's at no extra charge. We didn't know that, so we only got to eat out there once during our stay. The other outdoor seating is great too and you get a good view of the sunset.

CONS: There are only a few smal cons that weren't worth lowering the rating for, but I thought I should mention for your information.

There are geckos that live in the bures on the ceilings. They will make a call throughout the night that may wake you. It's not a big deal and they won't bother you. The only problem that we had was that the gecko would hang out over our bed and would poop on top of us while we were sleeping. I am not sure that there is anything you can do to avoid this in such tropical environments, but I thought you should know. It did make it difficult to sleep some when I would hear the gecko above us and I would be anticipating his poo.

We didn't really have a bug problem but there was a large spider and other small ants and bugs around. They aren't poisonous so nothing was harmful, but you should be aware of this when going to a tropical environment and stay in a bure.

SPA - the spa was a dissapointment in such a nice resort. I believe they are in the process of building a better one, but the building could have been nicer and the masseuse was not good.

2  Thank sodagirl79