We have just returned for a 10 night stay at Castaway in a beachfront bure with my family of 5. We were also traveling with another family of 5. This was our 9th visit to Fiji but 1st stay at this resort. I feel I have stayed at enough islands to accurately write a comparison review for this resort.
What we loved! - The beach was probably one of the nicest beaches we have been to in Fiji. The sand is white and powdery and the water was literally as warm as a bath and Chrystal clear blue. The staff were very mindful of ensuring the beach was well groomed and bits of seaweed etc removed daily. There were always enough loungers to accommodate all the guests as well.
The snorkeling was amazing. The inner reef was fantastic but the two outer reef trips we did were exceptional. We sure turtles, sting rays, massive fish and 5 black point sharks and 1 very large white one! Got the blood pumping.....
We found the food at a generally high standard for Fiji. Interestingly we disagree with the reviews about the Asian fusion restaurant. We ate here twice and did not enjoy the food nearly as much as ordering from the main menu. We never had a bad meal from this menu and found the smaller portion sizes perfect for not over indulging. We rarely ate from the buffet but our kids did and they always seemed to enjoy their meals and had plenty to choose from. My 3 year old daughter had spaghetti bog for lunch and dinner and would have had it for breakfast as well given the choice!
The bures were adequate. Little privacy between kids and parents and no living space to relax in not that you would want to anyway with the beautiful beach on your doorstep. They were clean and well kept.
The things we didn't like so much...
We sent an email twice before our visit requesting a beach bure on the north side of the beach. We also asked for our bure to be positioned next to our friends and their family that we were traveling with. Neither request was honored. I'm not sure why guests requests can't be accommodated. I think this is poor organization and management on the resorts behalf. Every other hotel in the world we have stayed at can where possible accommodate guest requests. This resort appears not even to consider them. After speaking with management we were moved to the north side half way through our stay. We were however at separate ends of the island to our friends.
I have to comment about the staff. We have experienced the warmest and most exceptional service and friendliness from staff at every other resort we have stayed at in fiji. We did NOT find this at Castaway at all! The staff were pleasant enough but by comparison didn't have that same cheerfulness and warm hospitality we have received at other islands. We almost felt they were a bit "over" it. They were full and it was busy. I get they turn over guests rapidly but even our kids commented on their general lack of enthusiasm.
The kids club. From memory they had 95 kids on the island when we were there. There was a lack of exciting activities on offer especially during the day. They need to review their programme and come up with some refreshed ideas of things they can do. Our 3 kids were very uninspired. They watched movies most nights and what was worse they were repetitive.
Next year we are booked in at Yasawa Island Resort. The last island for us to tick off before we venture further afield!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castaway Island, Fiji provides a unique South Pacific experience - a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy life's simple pleasures. Fiji's most popular island resort has guests returning year after year to experience the magic that is "Castaway". The island's 174 acres are covered with lush tropical vegetation, and surrounded by white sand beaches and vibrant coral reefs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, Otel, Odigeo, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Castaway Island Fiji reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaway Island Fiji Hotel Qalito Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Qalito
- Castaway Island Resort
- Fiji Castaway Resort
- Castaway Fiji Hotel Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Castaway Island (Qalito)