When you work in hotels/travel planning a holiday can be a bit stressful, like everyone I have high expectations of a holiday. When planning for Fiji it was hard to choose the right accommodation/island to stay at. I had lots of advice from colleagues and friends - but to be honest it made the choice harder.
In the end we chose to stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa and Castaway Island. We really enjoyed the Hilton (a different review) and as we left I confess we had our fingers crossed that we'd chosen right with Castaway.
Castaway was a perfect choice! Our Bure was clean, private and had a lovely mix of traditional Fiji and contemporary comforts (yes there is no TV but we didn't want one). The Island is gorgeous, the beaches were lovely and there were plenty of swimming options. Our kids (8yr & 11yrs) drifted in and out of kids club, which suited us, they went in the day only when there was an activity on ie touch footy, weaving, snorkling etc, however they were keen to go at night, which left us to enjoy relaxed dinners together. The remainder of the time we swam, walked, snorkeled, read, built sandcastle and cubbies and did all the things you expect to do on a family beach holiday.
The food was very good and whilst we thought the kids buffet could be a little repetitive, we had the option of the a' la carte, Pizza and Lali Sandbar (asian stir-fry), so it really wasn't an issue...in fact it seemed more designed for those children who only do more simplistic food.
Dinner at 1808 was a highlight, although due to the threat of evening rain we only got to experience it once.
Staff were mostly fabulous (although I do agree with one reviewer that a few staff were clearly a little over it - particularly in the main restaurant). Special mention to Sai, Remi, Joe (at reception), Maryanne and Stephen who made us feel very welcome.
Would we recommend Castaway - it's a definite yes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castaway Island, Fiji provides a unique South Pacific experience - a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy life's simple pleasures. Fiji's most popular island resort has guests returning year after year to experience the magic that is "Castaway". The island's 174 acres are covered with lush tropical vegetation, and surrounded by white sand beaches and vibrant coral reefs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Castaway Island Fiji reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaway Island Fiji Hotel Qalito Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Qalito
- Castaway Island Resort
- Fiji Castaway Resort
- Castaway Fiji Hotel Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Castaway Island (Qalito)