1,043 results
All reviewskids clubkids poolmeal planbush walkouter reeffishpizza barfamily holidaybeach buremain beachswim up barnorth sidemeal packagea la cartebanana boatyoung kidsdesalination plant
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I chose Castaway for our honeymoon destination and I cant rate the Island, resort and staff highly enough. We stayed for one week in a beautiful ocean view bure (6/ono) which was cosy, private, traditional yet comfortably modern. All the bure's are discreetly sheltered and mostly surrounded by lush tropical bush and immaculately kept gardens. The thatched styled roofs cleverly cover the windows so no-body can see in.
We were greeted off our boat with the traditional Fijian welcome on arrival. It made us feel very special! The Fijian people are the warmest, friendliest and most genuine I have ever come across in my travels. I must mention the lovely Eellie at this point as she took great care of us. Unfortunately a nasty bug struck me on our flight to Fiji and I wasn't well upon arrival. Eellie arranged a visit with the nurse and checked in each day (sometimes with extra goodies) to ensure everything was ok and I was on the mend. Other staff were very sweet and often asked if I was feeling better. Not the greatest getting sick on your honeymoon but just being in such a wonderful environment bought me back to health in no time!
There is plenty to do if you so choose, otherwise castaway is perfect for simply relaxing by the lovely pool or on one of the beaches. The snorkling is fantastic and there was a huge array of fish literally a few strokes from the shore. Hobie cats are always fun if you know how to sail and although I didn't dive myself, my husband went for one and enjoyed the fish life - someone on his dive was lucky enough to see a sea turtle.
We were very impressed with the two separate pool areas for adults and children. A beautifully structured kids swimming pool meant that kids and parents could be doing their thing away from the adults pool area allowing couples like us some peace and tranquility. While there seemed to be quite a few young family's at the resort, it was mostly pre-schoolers and babies and we didn't feel like it was rowdy at all which I think reflects the beauty of the way the resort is structured - there was always somewhere nice and quiet and secluded you could go to.
We thought the food was outstanding, both off the menu and the buffet. The seafood was fresh off the boats and the main restaurant was such a pleasure to dine in with fantastic views wherever you sat. The service was great and Dan and Jo are great!
Another thing I have to mention which was a huge highlight of the trip for us, was the very generous dolphin safari we were given by the staff. We're still not sure why we received it! We certainly felt very grateful however. It was the most beautiful tranquil morning and just us and the boat driver (whose name eludes me but was very welcoming and informative) The dolphins didn't come out to play sadly but we were taken on the most exhilarating ride. We went right out to the reef and were shown the popular surf spots, cruised in close to check out some of the other resorts and generally had a blast out on the pristine waters.
Another thing I would recommend is a walk around the Island and also up the Island. Make sure you take plenty of water and decent walking shoes however. Its well worth the look.
We were sad to leave after 7 days but so grateful that we live in such a beautiful part of the world and only 3 hours flying time to get to. We would most definitely go back and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Castaway to anyone.
Thank you so much for an enchanting stay in paradise. We loved it.

Room Tip: Hard to pick a bad bure - they were all private, however we did notice the south side beach bures got exposed to quite a bit of wind - perhaps it could have just been that time of year.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Bula and vinaka Kiwikel2014 for your wonderful review. The Dolphin Safari was Castaway's wedding gift to you and your new husband. Glad you enjoyed the experience.

We appreciate your very honest and well written account of how the pristine island environment blends with our resort facilities and is further enhanced by the warmth and genuine hospitality of the Castaway family.

We hope you will be back to celebrate many anniversaries with us.

warm regards from the Castaway family

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Our family (10 and 11 year old boys) had an incredible time at Castaway Island for Spring Break in early April 2014 for 4 days / 3 nights. We flew all night from Southern California, then took the 2 hour boat and arrived to our new paradise for the next 4 days. We knew hardly anyone who had been to Fiji before as most people from California head to Hawaii for Spring Break (as we normally do). We took a chance this year to try something new and exciting and did we ever hit the jackpot with Castaway. While we have always wanted to come to Fiji, it wasn't what I considered a "bucket-list" item. When we arrived to Castaway, it instantly became a bucket list item and was instantly checked off. All I can say is wow. I have always wondered where they take those amazing beach resort pictures (with the empty beaches and crystal clear waters) in all of the travel magazines. I now know where. It's here.

This is towards the end of their rainy season so it can still be rainy but we got real lucky and it was sunny every day we were there. There were hardly any Americans -- mainly Australians on their kids breaks. But this is not a busy time of year (at least it seemed to us) in Fiji. Nothing compared to Hawaii during this same time period. It felt like we had the place to ourselves and didn't have any problems making massage appointments (at the last minute), dinner reservations at 1808 or any activity appointments.

We did banana boating, outer reef snorkeling (which was one of the best snorkeling spots we've been too -- rivaling the Great Barrier Reef in Australia we had done a long time back), nighttime snorkeling, kayaking and hiking to the top of the island. We loved it all. This was worth the splurge (it isn't cheap) by far. You can only do this kind of experience a few places in the world so do this if you can.

The food was very good and we really enjoyed the dinner at 1808 on the beach. That was a memorable experience. (again, almost had the entire place to ourselves!) We ordered many cocktails and that might have been the only disappointment as they were consistently light on the alcohol in every drink. (even the rum and coke!)

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. We want to give a special shout-out to Jerry at the activities desk who guided us on our nighttime snorkeling tour and was always there to answer any of our questions.

We will be sharing this with everyone we know back home in hopes of luring them out here to experience what we did. (as if the Facebook pictures weren't enough)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank cheersman
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Bula Cheersman & family,
What an absolute delight to read your review of our little tiny island paradise. We feel very humbled that you consider Castaway Island, Fiji to be a bucket list item and so very happy to read about the wonderful family times you spent with us.

We often say that Castaway is 'everything the world isn't anymore' and you have clearly highlighted elements of this in your review. Pristine reefs, untouched rainforest, beautiful beaches and a casual ambience without pretence. We long to have more guests from your region to visit, so yes please, we'd be very grateful if you could spread the word! Vinaka.

Cheersman, we take on board your comments about cocktail strength and will be taking action on this. Thanks for your feedback.

One last thing. Just because you've ticked it off your bucket list, I hope that doesn't mean you won't return. Over 40% of our guests are returnees. Hope you will be too

Fond regards from the Castaway family

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We had a great Spring Break week 3/30 to 4/6 with our family of 5 from Pleasanton CA at Castaway Island Resort. Our oceanside Bure on the Sorth Beach (no. 43) was small but sufficient. They are more suited to 3 or 4 people, but that fact that they let a family of 5 cram in was fantastic (1 King and 3 doubles). We did not spend a lot of time in the Bure, but having it be 18 feet from the ocean was amazing. In my opinion, it is worth the extra money for the proximity to the water (even though we never went in the water on the north side). We opted for the meal plan, which was sensible. The food was great. We felt like we went home healthier than when we came--after playing all day and eating healthy non-processed food. We did rack up a substantial bar bill between my appetite for Coronas, and the kids for Smoothies. It would be great if there was a drink/smoothie plan to go along with the meal plan. We hiked to the top. We hiked around the bottom (blew out a flip-flop half way). We sailed. We banana boated. We SUP'd. We played volleyball and snorkeled every day. We found the magic of Castaway to be in the staff, and give a shout out to our friends Remi, Si, Nox and Joe (reception).

One more thing that we did right: Take the sea-plane from Nadi and take the ferry out (when you leave). The sea-plane entry was unforgettable.

For a few more hours flying time than Hawaii, you can go to a place that has few Americans, costs the same or less, and will bless you with the wonderful fun-loving spirit of Fiji. We are fans, and are planning our return. BULA!

Room Tip: The South Beach was quitter than the North, and not inconvenient. I recommend a Beach Bure as the proximity to the ocean is spectacular (18 ft away from our front door).
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank emcfall
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Bula Emcfall
We love welcoming our friends from America and we are so glad your experience was worth the few extra hours flying time.

The South Pacific Islands are very different to Hawaii as you found. Small, pristine, barely inhabited and another world away from your hometown.

We are one of the few islands that allow an additional person in the 'bures' to accommodate a family of 5. We found that families were expanding year on year and wanting to come back to their favorite island, however we only allowed maximum 4 in a bure. So we changed the rules and now allow a few families of 5 to be accommodated. The bures are just big enough to take the extra person or you could always book a second bure and spread out.

We love the South Beach as much as you do. When the high tide laps right up near your bure, there is no better place to be on the island. I have a personal preference for snorkeling on that side of the island too!

Thanks for your call out to Remi, Si, Nox and Joe - your well wishes have been passed on. You are right, the staff are what make Castaway so special. We truly value our Castaway family.

Lastly I wanted to agree with you on the sea plane arrival. A wonderful and quick way to get between Nadi airport and Castaway with a 10 minute scenic flight. You can have that Corona in your hand so much quicker! Take the helicopter next time for yet another different experience.

Please spread the word for us about Castaway Island. We'd love to welcome your family and many others from Pleasanton CA to Castaway Island, Fiji sometime in the future.

Vinaka!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

When we booked our time at Castaway the picture our travel agent painted for us was not as pretty as had in mind. When we got there though it was great food people and rooms where stunning and great facilities. The setting is great and I would imagine it was agreat place to take kids. We had a great room set on the water bure 43 and at high tide the waves almost came over the breakwater and lapped up to our door. We loved our time here we just wish the pool had a view of the ocean.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jwin2014
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thanks for your review Jwin2014. It would be fantastic if you could let your travel agent know that your expectations were exceeded! Hope you'll come back and visit the Castaway family again.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We have recently returned from 9 nights on Castaway in an island bure. It was our first trip to Fiji, we arrived at Castaway after spending one night at Denarau and even though it was pouring with rain when we arrived the staff still came out, sheltered us under umbrellas and sang and welcomed us.

The Island itself is just stunning and the resort set out really well, using the lovely natural surrounds. The gardeners and groundskeepers are to be commended, its such a relaxing feel walking through the grounds of the resort to your bure. The resort was apparently at capacity for most of our stay however we never felt like it was full or crowded. We never had trouble finding a deck chair, getting a seat for a meal, and never had to wait for anything.

We chose an island bure as this was more cost effective and although it would have been lovely to be right on the ocean we enjoyed the peace and tranquility of our bure. We were set back in the gardens near the tennis court, (bure 54). The bure was beautiful, loved the tapas lined roof, was a good size for a family of four and was refreshed and cleaned every day by the lovely housekeeping staff. Special mention to Andie and Nancie who were wonderful. The only thing we had some trouble with was the fact the toilets have no roof and given we had some sickies in the bure it was a little unpleasant at times... Had we not been sick this wouldnt have been an issue.

The food was amazing. We had pizzas from sundowner a few times which were delicious, pizza chef does a great job. Special mention to Vilisi - the most lovely staff member who went out of her way to make sure we were happy. Service was very quick. We ate at the Nuku Marau pool bar a few times (this was the kids favourite) and again service was quick and friendly. My partner and I mostly frequented Waters Edge, both for the buffet and the a la carte menu and i have to say the food was excellent, as was the service. Big thankyou to the lovely Seru - a beautiful person at Waters Edge who always thought to enquire how we were going given a few of us had been sick. Dan was also such a lovely gentleman. The only restaurant we didnt get to try was 1808 given it was only opened one night we were there. We did get to try some of Chef Lance Seeto's food on the buffet though which was really nice. The alcohol was quite expensive so most of the time we chose to take advantage of a bottle of duty free alcohol we had in our bure.

While we were there we snorkeled (saw beautiful fish snorkeling straight off the beach near monkey rock at high tide - could have happily stayed out there snorkeling for hours), swam in the lovely warm water, kayaked and played some organised water polo and voleyball with Sai and Knox. We loved both Sai and Knox - they were so engaging and funny, my kids really took to them, as they did to Joe.

We mostly swam in the ocean, although at low tide did take advantage of the pools a few times. Adults pool was lovely and the kids pool was good for little kids too. My 10 year old probably a little big for the kids pool but still went in for a dip a few times. But as i said the majority of our time was spent on the beach or in the ocean. The water is so clear and warm, the scenery is magical and its so nice to see fish just swim by.

They had activities every night at 9.15, we participated in a few of these which was great fun, crab racing, beach games, trivia and the highlight was the Meke performance by the staff and kids club after the management cocktail party. Great night!

We went on the Shell Village half day tour which was a real eye opener. The tour was led by Iva who told us all about the village, the school, the customs, the local area and the people. She also helped us to hand out some clothes and kids items to the local people at the village which was a great experience for my kids.

We were really impressed by the care all the staff have for the environment and after a desalination tour with Rusi (great guy who showed us a lot about how the resort operates) we were able to understand the process that goes into desalination and into the water treatment etc. There is so much going on behind the scenes, the staff do an amazing job.

Kids club - my 8 year old daughter absolutely loved kids club and all the staff - Mary, Maryanne, Iva, Joe, Knox, Alisi (i cant remember all the names but they were all beautiful people who obviously loved the kids). My 10 year old son preferred just to go at night for the activities that were on while adults ate their dinner, and during the day snorkelled and swam. They had lots of fun activities to entertain the kids which allowed me some time to take advantage of a fijian massage and manicure and pedicure with Lorrainie (beautiful friendly girl).

3 out of 4 of us did get sick (upset tummies) while we were there, not sure why this was as the food was delicious and always seemed to be fresh - but we were so well taken care of by Alisi the nurse on the island. My son was the sickest and she came to check on him a few times and made sure we had everything we needed. The staff in the kitchen and restaurant were great also, taking the time to send us chicken broth etc to the bure. I guess if you are going to get sick you might as well do it on a beautiful tropical island!!

On the last day we really werent ready to leave so instead of taking our prearranged South Sea Cruises launch in the morning we opted to lash out an take the helicopter directly to the airport later in the afternoon. This gave us a few more hours to swim and spend on Castaway and then the most amazing helicopter trip back with commentary on all of the islands we saw along the way. Huge thankyou to Joe in reception and Tony who made this happen so quickly.

We loved the woodcarvers near the kids club, Matthew and John - we purchased a bowl they made for us and really enjoyed talking to them about their culture.

I cant thank the staff of Castaway enough, they are the most friendly, lovely people you will meet. They love love love kids and are genuine, friendly and very approachable. We cant wait to come back to Castaway and see everyone again. Thankyou for an amazing holiday xo

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank coffeelover1970
karenmarvell, Director of Sales at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Bula Coffeelover1970!
It's so lovely to read such a comprehensive review. Thank you for taking the time to provide these comments. You are absolutely right when you say the Castaway family of staff are "genuine, friendly and approachable". Whilst we know we have one of the greatest pieces of real estate on the globe and a lovely well maintained resort, it is the Castaway family of staff who make it special. We are so delighted you all enjoyed your stay. Come back and visit us soon.