Our family (10 and 11 year old boys) had an incredible time at Castaway Island for Spring Break in early April 2014 for 4 days / 3 nights. We flew all night from Southern California, then took the 2 hour boat and arrived to our new paradise for the next 4 days. We knew hardly anyone who had been to Fiji before as most people from California head to Hawaii for Spring Break (as we normally do). We took a chance this year to try something new and exciting and did we ever hit the jackpot with Castaway. While we have always wanted to come to Fiji, it wasn't what I considered a "bucket-list" item. When we arrived to Castaway, it instantly became a bucket list item and was instantly checked off. All I can say is wow. I have always wondered where they take those amazing beach resort pictures (with the empty beaches and crystal clear waters) in all of the travel magazines. I now know where. It's here.
This is towards the end of their rainy season so it can still be rainy but we got real lucky and it was sunny every day we were there. There were hardly any Americans -- mainly Australians on their kids breaks. But this is not a busy time of year (at least it seemed to us) in Fiji. Nothing compared to Hawaii during this same time period. It felt like we had the place to ourselves and didn't have any problems making massage appointments (at the last minute), dinner reservations at 1808 or any activity appointments.
We did banana boating, outer reef snorkeling (which was one of the best snorkeling spots we've been too -- rivaling the Great Barrier Reef in Australia we had done a long time back), nighttime snorkeling, kayaking and hiking to the top of the island. We loved it all. This was worth the splurge (it isn't cheap) by far. You can only do this kind of experience a few places in the world so do this if you can.
The food was very good and we really enjoyed the dinner at 1808 on the beach. That was a memorable experience. (again, almost had the entire place to ourselves!) We ordered many cocktails and that might have been the only disappointment as they were consistently light on the alcohol in every drink. (even the rum and coke!)
The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. We want to give a special shout-out to Jerry at the activities desk who guided us on our nighttime snorkeling tour and was always there to answer any of our questions.
We will be sharing this with everyone we know back home in hopes of luring them out here to experience what we did. (as if the Facebook pictures weren't enough)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castaway Island, Fiji provides a unique South Pacific experience - a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy life's simple pleasures. Fiji's most popular island resort has guests returning year after year to experience the magic that is "Castaway". The island's 174 acres are covered with lush tropical vegetation, and surrounded by white sand beaches and vibrant coral reefs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Castaway Island Fiji reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaway Island Fiji Hotel Qalito Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Qalito
- Castaway Island Resort
- Fiji Castaway Resort
- Castaway Fiji Hotel Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Castaway Island (Qalito)