“I'm going back!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castaway Island Fiji

Castaway Island Fiji
“I'm going back!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

This resort is better than Outrigger. The main problem I had is with insects. But that was a small problem. The island was small and beautiful. Be careful taking the reef walk it's more difficult than you think especially for those who may have health issues.

The bush walk is also better suited for persons in good shape. My daughter and I had no problem with either activity but just forewarning,

Too many little kids. Parents take your children to Disney or Australia's equivalent,

The food was fine.

My main gripe is with the "spa". The massage therapist and the massages were nice but it's outside in a location where there are children screaming and people laughing loudly...TOO MUCH NOISE., for something that should be peaceful and reinvigorating experience. I also caught a guy peering into the area while I was dressing--not good.

This is an island best suited for honeymooners or couples--NOT LITTLE CHILDREN WITH LITTLE TO NO HOME TRAINING!!!

Overall, I'd go back!

Fiji is gorgeous and the vast majority of the people are very friendly!!!!

Vinaka

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank NEURONS2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Blackwater
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Have just had 3 nights on Castaway for A Family Wedding and really enjoyed it. The island is beautiful and the Staff very Friendly, Never forget you and remember your name from day one. Wedding was done with professionalism plus highly reccommend. Bures are a little tired would be my only complaint but the service etc outweighs that. Would certainly go again. Highly reccommend purchasing meal package when arriving.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BoatieYeppoon
australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

If you have kids that are 3+ the kids club is fabulous! The ladies running it are great with kids and the activities inc games on the tennis court, hunting for hermit crabs, looking at a bonfire, treasure hunt. The nannies are great with smaller kids and great value.
The rooms were not as good as I thought it would b for how much it costs per night ($800). We had two small kids and they stayed in the 'lounge' room with a small bamboo partition separating them from the master bed. The air con blew directly onto the master bed which I didn't like. Also the rooms were basically cleaned daily. The bed sheets weren't changed everyday and there was constantly sand in the bed.
I met the rudest Fijian on the island. She was at reception and never had a warm smile or bula. Due to the general lack of information given to new guests I went to reception to ask questions. I only had five. Half way thru answering them very abruptly she went back to doing sums in a book, took money from another staff member and had a conversation. I actually had to say I have a few more questions and hope I'm not disrupting you. For the cost per night, I never expected this.
Repairs are still going ahead after the cyclone and we were positioned near a building that turned out to b the owners house. During rest time in the day I enjoyed listening to circular saws, sanding and hammering. After a few days I went to c the builders and they moved at least the circular saw to the far side of the building site so it wasn't as loud.
I expected things like taking a boat to nearby snorkeling places and hand line fishing from a boat to b included in the $800 a night but alas it's extra.
Each room was not allowed two keys!!
And the guided reef walk with joe was a disaster. He walked one side of the resort until the rocks got too slippery for parents and kids then walked in the opposite direction and did the same thing. In between he was half a beach ahead of everyone and would whistle when he saw something, point to the spot them walk on. Total waste of time.
We booked through a travel agent along with a number of other families as a group. But instead of putting us all close together we were literally on opposite ends of the island.
The swimming pool was in the middle of the island and surrounded by buildings so really u could have been anywhere in the world.
All up, I would not be once of the 40% who revisiting the island. Totally not value for money and less than I expected

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank wortho8
Freshwater, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have been to many island in our travel time around the world as a couple and a family and Castaway definitely tops the favourite list! Even though we had 3 days of stormy weather and rain, we truly enjoyed our 5 nights stay especially thanks to the amazing kids club which our 3 year old daughter just loved. I was in awe that the kids club staff knew every kids name by day 1 (and they had about 50 + kids in there!) and that they took the kids for real adventures: coral boat trips, bonfire on beach, night walks to see native animals etc. The island facilities in my eyes are 5 star, the bures beautifully designed with loving touches such as fresh flowers every day, the 2 swimming pools are great, and the food was simply delicious. You can tell that the place has good management and that the staff is friendly because they are happy there (and not just smiling because they should be smiling...as in many 5 star chain hotels on the main island). The beaches are beautiful and my husband spent hours of snorkelling seeing colourful fish, rays, sea snakes. I would recommend Castaway to any Fiji visitor and especially families with kids. It is a bit more expensive to start with but once on the island you only need to pay for your drinks (if booked on meal deal) and it is well worth it. The only complaint I had was that nobody told us about the private boat taxi option to get here, because the travel agent booked us 2 nights on the main land, and after staying on Castaway we would have preferred to stay the extra night there and take a boat straight to the airport rather than going back to a chain hotel on Denarau!

5 Thank Nadja S
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Simply ideal for young families. The accommodation is charming and well laid out. The biggest asset to castaway is the staff - everyone is great with the kids and seem to genuinely love the families. We had a great time and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: the beach rooms are worth the extra
3 Thank kirkandsarah
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family of 5 recently stayed at Castaway for 6 nights. When we arrived on the boat we all said WOW! The beach is stunning and we had a great time playing in the water and seeing all the fish. We absolutely loved every part of Castaway, beautiful rooms, pools, crystal clear water and great snorkelling just off the beach. It is a great place for young children with a good kids pool and a beautiful safe lagoon to swim in.
The meal plan was definately worth it, the food was fantastic especially at the new 1808 restuarant. Chef Lance has done a great job with the menus.
The staff were good, the resort manager Steven was very helpful, he was always around if you needed something.
Overall I would highly recommend to anyone, we will definately be back to this beautiful place as soon as we can, paradise found......

Room Tip: All the bures are the same, it dosnt matter where you are, everything is really close.
7 Thank KazzaSummer
Eidsvold, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my second visit to Castaway and this time was better than the first. I already know my next stay will be even better. As a former travel agent Castaway has always been easy to 'sell' and is definitely the most popular island resort Fiji has to offer. You cannot go wrong here - the location is superb, the beach - lovely, the bures are great but it's the people that really make your stay. They are so friendly and you feel right at home. If you are travelling as a family, a couple or friends it will suit you. There's plenty to do at the island or you can go diving and exploring close by. Castaway will always get a 10 out of 10 in my book and I absolutely cannot wait to go back next year. Did I mention the food? It is sensational!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Travel_Nut_Reviews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castaway Island (Qalito)
Lomani Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,009 reviews

Been to Castaway Island Fiji? Share your experiences!