“The Perfect Break”

Castaway Island Fiji
Melbourne, Australia
“The Perfect Break”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

To those who are not keen on Castaway and don't like the food etc.. What is wrong with you? Castaway is the perfect place to relax, refresh and enjoy the Fijian life. We have been 9 times to Castaway and the staff ALWAYS remember you, what is your favourite bure etc.. We are "Castaway family" and the staff make you feel like family. There are plenty of things to do - some cost a couple of bucks, but so what! Most things are free. Yes, the island may be a bit expensive but go to some of the other islands around Fiji and you will ALWAYS come back to Castaway. We have been to other Fijian resorts and for privacy, friendliness, peace and quiet etc.. we always come back to Castaway

Room Tip: Ask for Bure 20. It is a bit more isolated from the others
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank alvesy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Agree with all the comments on TripAdvisor. Castaway is a beautiful Island and location. Accommodation is great and pools and ocean great. Staff is typical Fiji. If I get to it I will get to it but don't hurry me oh and I usually forget what you asked me. Nanny's generally good, ask for Eleanor she is lovely....BUT my whole family got ill on our honeymoon there. First my husband for 4 nights vomiting etc and my 2 year old child the same then my husband again then I managed to hold it off to only be ill when we got home same way.
The nurse said that there is " something on the island that has been brought in", so you would ask why not fix this! We are careful to never drink water or ever eat seafood pizza but still got sick. There is a hygiene issue re the public toilets they need to be cleaned more often.
So I ask the management what is going on at Castaway re illness that my whole family bar one child got sick. That is not food poisoning that is a virus on the island. Please explain. Angry honeymooner

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
20 Thank BBLucy
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We visited castaway with another family; between us we had two tweens & two 4yr old children.
From the minute we arrived it was bliss. There's not much to do on the island but relax.
I heartily recommend taking the boat out to the island - but only if you travel in the captains lounge. Its an hour long trip and the sun is scorching and Castaway is the furthest island from the port. The lounge provides complimentary drinks and snacks and panoramic views of the many beautiful islands.
We had an Ocean View Bure - which I also recommend. Its away from the noise of the pools (the pool was a 2 minute walk from our door) and there was barely a soul to be seen on our beach.
I was hoping to try snorkelling (I'm terrified of not being able to see the bottom of wherever I'm swimming & was not able to conquer my fears when we travelled to Thailand), so it was surprising to me that I ended up spending every possible minute I could, snorkelling over the amazing in-house reef. The reef is literally metres from the sand of the front beach and the water is crystal clear. My confidence grew so much that we even took a day trip out to the 'big' reef & snorkelled in VERY deep water.
The Fijian people are just beautiful; warm, friendly and welcoming.
Food was fabulous. Room was divine. Kids club was awesome.
We do hope to return to Castaway one day- maybe a more romantic trip without the kids!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view bure and the beach practically to ourselves, even though the island was at capa...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bubjack
Esbjerg
Reviewed November 7, 2012

After biking in New Zealand we made a stopover in Castaway for relaxation and that was a perfect choise. A very charming place with the most pleasant and service minded staff you can imagine. Good value for our money too. A possible tsunami treat was handled very professionally.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KTD6700
NSW, AU
Reviewed November 5, 2012

we stayed here early late january 2012 to celebrate my daughter's first birthday and my husband's birthday as well. we had high expectations based on what we read here and with the top dollar we paid, we expected it to be the best of our vacations. the stand out bad experience we had was the food (which you think will be the best that you're going to get). My husband ordered sushi and half way thru the food, he bit into something hard. When he spit it out, it was a TOE NAIL! When we told it to the guy manning the resto, he said we're sorry. That's it! No words from the good chef and no apologies from management. No nothing! It was disgusting. If you want, i can send picture of the toe nail. Not going here ever.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank busabos
Canberra
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed on Castaway for 6 days in early October, our first experience of a real tropical holiday away from Australia. While i don't completely understand why people would come back to this particular resort for several years in a row (no shortage of reviews to that effect on tripadvisor ) it is certainly a lovely environment to laze about in for a while, new pool area, lovely grounds, beautiful clear water and unspoilt coral reefs, smiling staff and a minimum of unsupervised noisy kids. Non stop food all day and the quality is very high. T he accommodation was a little disappointing, smelt musty and old but the bed was great and the shower area was refurbished. We completely underestimated how hot it would be and quickly ran out of spf30, having to apply it many times each day. One of the main reasons we went to this resort is their reputation for catering for food allergies, youngest son has coeliac disease and requires gluten free food. This is normally an issue on every family holiday, having to explain to waiters and chefs all the time but was no problem on Castaway. We were introduced to Lance the head chef on our first night and he reassured us that all meals had several GF options and we were even able to get freshly made GF pancakes and bacon each morning. I would go back, but not before trying other resorts, just for variety.

Room Tip: Maybe try to select a bure away from the pools, we heard some late night revellers a couple of nigh...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank simonjCanberra
Brisbane
Reviewed November 2, 2012

After a stressful 2012 we needed a place to unwind and chill that was not too far from home but somewhere we have never been before, Castaway Island resort fit the bill perfectly.
Just like most of the other reviewers we found the Fijian people the highlight of our trip, they are just so warm and friendly and seeing their smiling faces made us relax even more.
We had an Oceanview Bure which was perfect for us, it was vey clean and cool even with the air-con off in the middle of the day. We were about 20 steps from the north beach which seemed to be the calmer of the the two beaches during our stay.
We loved the crystal clear water and snorkeling was good, we found the best spot was right out in front of the restaurant. The pools were also very good although the adult pool seemed warm all the time, strange when the temperature was about 30 degrees everyday. The kids pool was also well used by my family, my 3 yr old loved this pool as it was just the right depth for her, she also loved the ice cream at the kids pool snack bar run by the very nice Kristina.
The kids club was great and my daughter loved Maryanne and Mary who took care of her and taught her about fijian culture. The kids club put on a weekly show of fijian dance on Wednesday nights and I was really proud of my daughter for performing in this.
We bought the food package which was good value, the food was great with the choice of a buffet or ala carte most days. Misi in the restaurant was very nice to us and always had a great big smile on his face.
Overall we loved Castaway Island resort and plan to return again soon, the staff make this place and if you can't relax here give up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castaway Island (Qalito)
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Malolo Island Resort
Malolo Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Castaway Island Fiji? Share your experiences!