“Island Paradise”

Castaway Island Fiji
Australia
“Island Paradise”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We recently visited Castaway Island and stayed for 8 nights. The Island is magnificent and we were very impressed with the Bures. We stayed in a Beach front Bure, but next time would stay in a Garden Bure as they are all very similar, and it would save on costs. It's a shame they are only 1BR as very hard with young kids to sleep so close together.
We requested North side beach as we heard this was better, but were given South beach which was just as good, i couldn't see any differences.
The meal package was definately the way to go, the food was exquisite, enjoying the choice most nights of a-la-carte or buffet. The Pizza was also very delicious.
Great for Kids club, out 3 year old enjoyed a few plays, the Fijian people of course are brilliant, and our babysitter every night was very reliable!
No phones in the rooms make it hard for babysitter to contact you if need be.
It rained nearly every day which is probably normal for April, but we still enjoyed it. The pool was great for the kids!
I would suggest to other parents if your kids are sick to leave the Island, unfortunately our 9 month old contracted head/foot & mouth whilst on the Island. Sadly ended a brilliant holiday. Parents just be aware that all babies share the same high chairs, so be vigilant with cleaning them.

Room Tip: Go Garden Bure,
7 Thank Aussie Family t... C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My husband, myself & our 14mth old son recently stayed on Castaway Island for 6 nights. It was fantastic & I would happily recommend this location as a great place to go. Before going I researched various locations in Fiji for a family holiday - key things for us was that the place was family friendly - with very good babysitting services as our son is too young for Kids Clubs, swimming options at pool & beach, reasonably sized clean rooms & with scuba diving trips available. Castaway consistently rated well & friends also recommended it. We were not disappointed in choosing to go there.

All the staff were so friendly & our son was permanently being picked up & hugged by the staff who seem to all genuinely love kids. The babysitters we had for all were all great & we happily went off on boat dive trips& to dinners knowing he was in good hands & enjoying himself. The pool is lovely although a bit on the small side at times when the majority of families staying decide its pool time.

We stayed in a garden bure which was lovely - whilst it was a fair way (relatively speaking compared to others) from the beach & pool we didn't mind the short walk (5mins).

The food was pretty good, although the only suggestion I would have is to have some vegetarian or lighter meal options available on the menu. Also the food/drinks & meal packages are a bit on the pricy side compared to other Fiji locations however it is an island & we just accepted that as being part of the holiday.

Overall we would happily recommend Castaway as a fab location for families. We are already looking to rebook next year !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Kaz052
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I researched on this site for months and kept getting pulled back to Castaway so finally booked.The minute we arrived at Castaway we felt that we had arrived 'home'. The bures are gorgeous and just perfect.Immaculately kept clean by the lovely housekeeping staff.I loved the bathroom,the bed was perfect not too hard not too soft. We felt perfectly at 'home'.Castaway defenitely has that magic feel the whole time on the island we kept wanting to pinch ourselves as it felt like a dream. You also do slow down here we found ourselves walking slower,eating slower and just totally relaxing like we had never before.My work is pretty fast paced so i tend to do everything fast so it wasjust what i needed. The food is spectacular with plenty to choose from. We had trouble making up our minds each night at dinner what we would eat as every dish is to die for. Chef Lance you are a legend! A fantastic extremely talented chef with a beautiful heart and soul who goes well beyond his chef work . Desserts are amazing also..the food that Chef Lance creates with his fantastic team was such a big part of our holiday...Highlight of breakfast..the omelettes..we love Egg Man! You havent tasted omlettes like these ever! We had the meal plan which was great value for us.
The beach was heaven on earth i would spend hours just lying in the warm water with fish swimming around us.. the snorkelling was magical..go out that little bit further and its a tropical fish tank or a scene from Finding Nemo. We met some fantastic people who have become great friends which also made our time on Castaway even more special. Our kids are 10 and 12 they also made lifetime friends on the island and they would roam around the island on their own and i would never worry too much about them. They were always in good hands.. Kids club they would go of a night ( they were too busy swimming and snorkeling during the day) They played games on the tennis court of a night which the kids had a ball at. Also during the day the 'beach boys' staff would grab the kids and anyone else who wanted to join in and play beach vollyball and footy which my son loved. He would have played all day long with them. We went to the Castaway Rugby match twice such a fantastic time watching and cheering for the boys!
We did the sunset cruise that was pretty special.. I took 2 books to read didnt even pick one up..i was too mesmerised watching the turqouise coloured ocean on my deck chair...wasnt bored for a second. The time went so quick! We could easily have stayed for a month..or even better have never left. The people of Castaway are such beautiful people. We quickly bonded with most of them..they are all genuinely friendly and my kids including us were quite upset to leave them. My daughter ran around on the last day handing them goodbye letters.It was very emotional. Ok so what didnt we like? Leaving the Island.The hardest thing we have ever had to do was to step on that boat and wave goodbye .We felt like we were leaving our family and our home behind. The only thing that made it bearable is planning our next trip to Castaway. We plan to come back every year. i dont think we will ever go anywhere else but Castaway.

4 Thank castawayobsessed
Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I should point out that my wife and I only stayed here for 3 days / 2 nights. To explain why:

We went for a wedding, which was brilliant, but I found that the quicker we got off Castaway the more money we were able to spend on the rest of the holiday. Don't get me wrong, the meal deal package I see advertised is pretty decent (but still higher range for Fiji), but we stayed 7 nights on the Coral Coast and 7 nights on Matamanoa, and the 2 nights on Castaway ended up costing at least 1/3, if not more of the total amount of the holiday value.

It cannot be disputed that it is a lovely island, especially if you take the time to walk around the entire thing. It's a very small island and a walk around low tide is highly recommended. I especially loved the north-east side, past the staff quarters. Beautiful long beach and the backside of the island is very nice. Yes, very nice island to explore. I recommend a good walk around.

As for the resort itself, it's nice. Quite large, with a lot of rooms and potentially a lot of people. We stayed in a garden room at the foot of a mountain/hill, and I personally loved the room. I thought it was a very nice setting and the interior of the room was excellent, to say the least. Large rooms, very well presented. My wife and I were both very pleased with the room. On the outskirts, away from the crowds and kids. :)

The pool was nice, but heavily shaded and almost 'hidden.' Pretty crowded most the time too.

The beachfront is beautiful, snorkelling is very good. Scenery-wise there is not much to fault, actually. We mostly snorkelled on the north side and it was good, but we heard the west side was a bit better.

As for value, the resort is generally quite expensive. The shop, bars (even at happy hour) and restaurant were all on the more pricey side of things. And the dinner menu was not much at all either. One night we had the wedding feast (which was admittedly absolutely excellent, and HUGE!) but the other night we were pretty much forced into the buffet due to the lack of anything interesting on the menu. :) Pretty good buffet, though. Lunch was pretty good, but it seemed like it was buffet or nothing for dinner, which could get very expensive very quick if you're there for a week. Meal package probably advisable assuming it includes the buffet. We did enjoy happy hour on the balcony, though. Very nice setting... if you can get a good seat.

Restuarant service was average too. We met one really nice waiter, but others weren't as friendly and seemed a little uninterested.

Castaway Island is very nice, but having stayed on Mana and Matamanoa also, I'd rank Castaway 3rd... which is not so negative considering I loved all three.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ihaveteeth
Sydney
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We have just returned from a two stop holiday - 6 nights on Castaway and then 2 nights on Malolo. We are a family of 5 including kids of 12, 15 and 17. We had a Castaway Five Ocean bure and a full meal package. We had to buy an adult meal plan for our 12 yr old, or he would have had to eat separately from us and from a different menu. The kids meals are good and fine for younger children but our boy is nearly 13 and didn't want to eat at 5.30pm. This was no problem for us but worth considering when offered the Kids Meal Plan by your travel agent. The bure is not particularly large, has a king bed and three singles with a sliding partition. It doesn't offer much privacy, especially as the bathroom door is see through! Both our boys got sick at almost exactly the same time one night - not sure what caused it but in a small bure with one toilet it wasn't very pleasant! I did worry about the size of the bure before we left and was proved right - it would be perfect for a family with young children but with three large teens it is bit of a tight squeeze. However, other than that we LOVED Castaway. The food was great, the staff are so so friendly and helpful - we arrived late and they had put pizza and fruit in our room as the restaurant had closed. The activities organised over Easter were superb and great fun, involving all the family and all ages. We got up on Easter Sunday to find a table at breakfast totally covered with chocolate eggs that the children could take and a huge chocolate turtle cake! The snorkelling is excellent and just off the beach. Two of the kids learnt to dive, they all kayaked and also went parasailing. When the head chef found out our son had been on a popular Aussie cooking show, he gave him a Castaway Chef's hat which he is very proud of and wrote an article for the local paper! We were told that once you've been to Castaway Island you start to compare all others to it and I think that's right - we went to Malolo and although the bures are far superior, everything else was inferior to Castaway. Just book - you can't go wrong!!

8 Thank lg13865
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed at Castaway Island for 8 nights in April and had the best holiday experience of our lives. We arrived at Castaway to friendly, singing staff members who gave us a welcome of a lifetime. After stepping off the boat and doing the check-in (which was seamless I might add!) the kids promptly jumped clothes and all into the beautiful clear waters of Castaway Island.

To be honest, its really hard to fault this place. The bures are beautifully appointed, clean, spacious (we travelled with 3 young children and we all had plenty of room). Bathrooms have just been renovated and there is aircon which you will need! The rooms are serviced daily so its great to have new towels and a tidy up every day.

The grounds are meticulously looked after by the staff and its such a nice environment to be in. Plenty of activities for all. Windsurfing, kayacking, etc all there for your disposal and there are plenty of them so you really never have to wait. Kids club is really great. The kids loved it and the babysitters are fantastic too. I've never had my children babysat before so I was a little apprehensive but you feel so welcomed by everyone there and they just adore the children so I felt good about leaving them. They were well looked after the whole time which gave my husband and I some much needed time alone!!

The food at Castaway is a highlight. So much choice, and it is so fresh and amazing that you go home 10kgs heavier but well worth it. We opted to go for the meal plan which is slightly pricey but worked out a good option for us as we love to enjoy gourmet meals! The desserts are a highlight too - make sure you try the Volcano Fondant if you are a chocolate lover.

The staff are the most friendly, delightful people you will ever meet and do everything they can for you to make your stay a highlight. Special thanks go to Pau, Lingo, our wonderful babysitter, Lily at the pool bar and our special waiter Mosi who loved our kids like they were his own!

This place really met all my expectations. The scenery is beautiful, the waters are teaming with fish, the water around the island is clear and beautiful and an ideal spot for swimming the days away, great food, great staff and wonderful, clean, spacious bures! Watch out for the cocktails - they are so good that you rack up a nice tidy bill at the end of your stay (well we did anyway) but remember, you are on holidays so go ahead and enjoy!! That was our philosophy anyway!!

I can not recommend Castaway highly enough and will be planning another getaway there very soon.

My last tip will be - spend the extra dollars to go out to the island instead of on staying on the mainland - you will be so happy you did!!!

5 Thank Vanessabrooker
Reviewed April 25, 2011

This was our first time to Fiji and it won't be our last! From the minute you arrive at Castaway, you are made to feel like part of the family. Everyone remembers your name, the kids names, they are so friendly and helpful. The food was amazing, with a choice of buffet, al a carte, or woodfire pizza restaurant, you were never bored, and the menu changed regularly, and had special theme nights. Make sure you book the meal plan, it is great value for money. The pool is perfect for kids with a shallow end on both sides of the pool and shade sails over it. Plenty of sun lounges at the pool and beach, so no need to "reserve" at daybreak. The beaches were beautiful, the water was so clean and warm. Plenty of shade provided by the trees, and the snorkelling options were great. The rooms were cleaned beautifully, not very big, but big enough for a family of 4, they even tidied the kids mess....thankyou to Margarite!! Having a laundry on the island is also a great option, drop off the bag of washing one day and pick up the next. The kids club was fabulous, they seperate the big kids and little ones which was great, and they had loads of fun. They loved going to the evening session after dinner, which allows the adults to have dinner in peace. Lily at the pool bar makes the most amazing cocktails and keeps the ice-cream flowing at the pool bar for the kids....thankyou Lily. All the restaurant staff are amazing, and nothing is slow here, just a nice relaxed pace. Joe's cocktails at the main bar were amazing too! If you are looking for the perfect family escape, where you can do absolutely nothing or fill your day with water sport activities, knowing the kids won't be bored, this is the place for you. We will be back next year for sure!

Room Tip: Book early if you want a beach front room
1 Thank mmpage
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castaway Island (Qalito)
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Malolo Island Resort
Malolo Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Castaway Island Fiji? Share your experiences!