“Best holiday ever!”

Matamanoa Island Resort
Auckland, New Zealand
“Best holiday ever!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Partner and I went on holiday, we chose this island based on the fact no kids were allowed and away from the mainland.

We landed in Nadi and were taken via transfer to denarau port where our ferry waits for us. 1 hr and 30 min journey to matamanoa island resort, though the ride felt like 40min journey. We were greeted personally by the manager on the ferry and she made us feel at home straight away.

We arrived on the island with a warm welcome and a free cocktail waiting for us at the bar and then a brief welcoming and house-keeping rules during our stay.

Loved it, thank you matamanoa for your hospitality. Very friendly and welcoming, it was very sad when it was time to leave.

The staff were awesome, very laid back and relaxing.

Tui and Kev

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TuiW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Singapore
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a fabulous find, a lovely island and cheap compared to others. It is definately not a luxury resort or a gourmet experience, but a great place to pack several books and be prepared to do not a lot. I'd particularly recommend it for the snorkeling or diving enthusiast as there is good coral accessible from the beach, the daily snorkeling boat trip is great and there is a dive shop and instructor resident on site. The hotel rooms are fine but lack privacy if you like to sit on the balcony, the extra for a beach bure is worth it. I have already booked to go back this year and that is something I never do (as I like to try new places), but for a quick relaxing and affordable break, you can't go past this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jellylorum
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Matamanoa Island is perfect for couples who want to get away from it all, have no screaming children around and spend quality time together surrounded by Mother Nature’s finest.

The island itself is simply stunning. The horizon pool is salt water, so you really are spoilt for choice between spending time on the beach or in the pool. Sunrise and sunset takes your breath away every day.

In terms of accommodation I would highly recommend a beach bure. It is absolutely worth the extra money, as you can literally walk out of bed and onto the beach (as we did many times) or have some private time on the terrace and swing from your very own hammock.

HOWEVER…

All of the above praise comes with a warning to future travellers deciding on where to stay in Fiji.

The food and the service simply HAVE to improve. If this resort would like to keep advertising themselves as luxury accommodation, and charge clients an arm and a leg to stay there, they have to change – full stop. Not one person escaped from having a tummy bug whilst on the island – not one. Several people we became close to actually had to spend whole days in bed, shivering with fever, not to mention dozens of visits to the bathroom. We were there over New Year’s Eve recently, and I do have to say that the banquet served on the night was actually wonderful. When they served the same food the following night and disguised it on the menu under different names, my partner and I felt vaguely insulted that they didn’t seem to think we would catch on. Unfortunately, my partner ate “leftover” mussels and prawns and was sick the whole flight home from Nadi to Sydney – to the point where he can only stomach food now, 5 days later. This is simply outrageous.

As for the actual service in the dining room… there are a few staff who are truly special, but for the most part, you feel as though they are doing you a favour. It was so bad one night that we were left waiting 30 minutes for our dessert… They just don’t seem to care at all, and as mentioned before, when you are paying these prices staff really need to be better trained.
If I could plan the holiday again, I would book less nights (we stayed 8) on a better island, such as Tokoriki – which I have heard nothing but the best about.

Matamanoa – PLEASE look into your food health and safety practices, you cannot continue to make people so sick and essentially ruin their holiday.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank VickyChristinaBCN
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed with my husband in Matamonoa for 5 days. Before this I stayed a week in a cheaper Fiji Island. I was dissapointed as I thought Matamonoa would be much more luxirous.

The staff were the rudest I have ever come across, the food variety lacked, the beach was all rocks (so there was no sun bathing on the beach), no activites to do, cocktails were outragiously priced ($30nzd) per drink.

However... the upsides- breaskfast was always amazing, rooms beautiful, room service and cleanness was perfect and the walk to the top of the montain amazing.

This Island is best for couples that want to sit by a pool in the sun and great drunk with other guests. It was not the romantic/ fun holiday as I was expecting and as it was so small there was not much privacy besides being in your room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chantal u
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 2, 2013

From the moment my friend and I got off the boat and stepped onto the Island we were instantly greeted with a great welcome and a much needed cool drink. Staff were friendly and the food was absolutely incredible. The menu changed each night and I had the most incredible steak and veal. Plenty of activities to keep you occupied. The spa was tranquil and the views absolutely incredible. Very relaxed Island. Would definitely visit here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank JessC1986
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Matamanoa is a little piece of paradise! I had read all the TripAdvisor reviews before booking it and somehow I knew it would be exactly what I was looking for - and it was. If you are looking for party central, this is not the place for you, but if you want peace and quiet,relaxation and a beautiful beach, this is it,
We were there in December, 2 weeks before the cyclone and the weather was beautiful every day, with the occasional late afternoon, spectacular thunderstorm. We arrived there by South Sea Cruises and it was a most enjoyable way to travel - even if the helicopter was more affordable, I think I would still prefer to arrive by boat, as the lovely warm greeting you receive on the beach is worth it. After a refreshing welcome drink and a brief introductory talk, we were shown to our room and settled in in no time at all.
For the first few nights, we were in one of the hotel rooms and I was very happy with this. They have a very high ceiling and the bedroom area is air conditioned and also has a ceiling fan over the bed. The rooms have a small bar fridge plus tea and cofffee making facilities and the bathroom was a good size and very modern and clean. The closest space was excellent. Outside on the porch there was a small table with chairs plus a day bed which was great for an afternoon snooze - it was so peaceful there, just the sound of the birds and the waves on the beach...... The hotel rooms look into a garden area that has quite a number of palm trees and the falling coconuts did worry me a little, as they tend to fall pretty regularly, so watch out!
Half way through our stay, we moved to one of the much larger beach bures and this was fabulous - we just loved being able to take a few steps down onto the beach or relax in the hammock on the porch. The bures can accommodate up to 3 people as there is a sofa bed in the loungeroom area, but the aircon in the bures really only can be felt in the main bedroom area, although there is a ceiling fan.The bures also have a kitchenette. The bures are located in 2 areas of the resort - ors was on the sunrise side and I think this is the better side as it is an easier walk down onto the beach.
The main resort area is small but has everything you would need for a holiday like this - a lovely pool that looks out onto the sea, the pool deck with enough loungers for everyone who wanted one (perhaps all the chair hogging problems I have read about are in high season?), the dive shop,the restaurant, the bar, a small library, the office and small shop -there is one slow computer but hey - who needs a computer when you are trying to relax?
Do not come here expecting 5 star gourmet dining, it is not that type of resort, but I loved the food - the breakfast buffet had lots of options, for lunch you could have a main meal or just something light like the fruit and cheese platter (which is actually enormous!), afternoon tea is included and there is always a lovely home baked cake or other treat - yum - loved those cakes. For dinner every night, I had fish, fish, and more fish! I found the bar prices very reasonable and comparable with prices elsewhere in Fiji.
For activities, we spent most of time just relaxing on the beach - there are chaise loungers provided on the beach, situated under little thatched umbrellas and you can always find your own private little patch of beach. We snorkelled and kayaked and one of us did the introductory dive as well. There are also organised activities such as basket weaving, hiking, beach volleyball, bocce so you can certainly be as active as you want, but we were busy just unwinding and that left us pretty exhausted by dinner time! There are after dinner activities such as games and singalongs , but as a lot of the island's clients are honeymooners, this is not a late night island.....
The staff are really wonderful and go out of their way to make you feel like family, whether you are just there for 1 or 2 nights or longer. Every night at about 8.30 during dinner, there is Bulatime, where the staff will welcome the newcomers by name and also farewell those leaving the next day. Such beautiful singing is a part of this and I looked forward to it every night. The staff soon know everyone and its lovely to be greeted by name, whether its at breakfast or just strolling along the beach.
When it was time to leave, I must admit a shed a few tears, as this truly is a special place. After a pretty stressful year, it was just the tonic I needed. I miss just sitting in that beautiful water, staring out into the blue sea and the other close by islands, I miss the sound of the waves on the beach at night, I miss Bulatime, I miss feeling a part of such a special little place and I miss the sound of the crying Matamanoa birds at night. I know for sure that I will be going back to Matamanoa in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: ask for a beach bure on the sunrise side of the island