“A perfect holiday on Mana Island”
Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Perth
“A perfect holiday on Mana Island”
Reviewed March 15, 2006

After using Trip Advisor extensively before our trip I now feel it is my duty and pleasure to give feed back on our holiday on Mana island.
We are in our late fifties with a busy business and can never afford a long break so we try to make the most of the time we have. Occasionally even after a lot of research we are disappointed but not this time.
Our stay in Fiji started and ended at the Golf Terraces which are new apartments right by the ferry in Denarau. It is a lovely place and of course an ideal setting because you don't need to bother about transfers to and from the boat.
Mana island was wonderful and the beautiful staff became like family within 5 days. However, what made the holiday ideal for us - needing more rest than recreation - was the perfect positioning of the Executive Beachfront Bures. They are not cheap (over $600 Aust) but have everything you would want including airconditioning, a spa room with a large door that opens up to the fabulous view but still maintains privacy because it is set just above the beach (6 steps down to the water), a fabulous patio area where they will bring your breakfast in the mornings, a maid who washes and folds your clothes and cleans your room (including fresh sheets) daily and that magic view from North Beach to the islands in the distance. The water was so clear and the sand so soft and white and often we would be the only people on the beach.
I think the North Beach setting is far superior to the South because it doesn't have the ugly diving boats etc to obstruct your view and I would not have wanted to stay in the cabins in the middle of the island but I am fairly fussy in my old age. When we were young and had children I would have thought they were great. The ordinary beach front bures were undergoing major renovation while we were there and probably would be very nice when finished and they are also on the North Beach.
I heard a lot before we went about the poor food on Mana but it was fine without being something to rave over. We ended up having just breakfast and dinner (so as not to increase our already considerable girths) and the buffets were lovely especially as the chef would cook freshly for you in the style of the evening and add your choice of seasonings etc.- a great idea.
The trip we took on the Sea Spray was also most enjoyable with some easy to reach reef to snorkle on just off Monriki island (site of the Castaway film).An island hopping jaunt, a submarine trip (with a vomitting child beside me), my husbands fishing trip and the singing and dancing of the staff all contributed to making this a most memorable experience and we certainly came away knowing that we had to return to Fiji very soon. The tears in my eyes as we left after such a short time certainly tell the story.
Also at the end of it all we were pleasantly surprised that it cost less than we had budgeted for meals, drinks, excursions etc.

13 Thank magsd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed February 22, 2006

We have recently returned from a 2 week holiday at Mana island; from late January 06 to mid feb 06. When we arrived it was raining heavily throughout Fiji, but within a day, the sunshine was back. Most days were sunny and the humidity wasn't too bad. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view bure which had aircon, but only used it at night. It was comfortable and spacious; definitely recommended. The staff were friendly and always ready to chat and laugh. North beach is a gorgeous beach with excellent snorkelling; we also went snorkelling with Bill from the land activities crew. The meals were fine; the lunches at South beach are tasty and all meals are FJD$12. Our favourite buffet dinners at the Mamanuca restaurant are the Lovo nights and Mongolian barbeque. All buffet dinners are FJD$40 and there's plenty to eat. The a la carte there is also good with a variety of meals; I enjoyed the roasts of the day, fish and Japanese dishes. These ranged in priced from FJD$20-$25. 375ml of Fiji bitter will set you back FJD$4.50,cocktails are between FJD$9 to $13 and a bottle of softdrink is $3.00. The staff put on a great meke show twice weekly and a choir on Sunday afternoon; the surprise activities and crab race are also good fun. We also did fan weaving and a fijian cooking lesson with Eunice; good fun. I recommend the sunset walk as the view is just fantastic. The 2 weeks just flew and it was sad to leave as we'll miss everyone; we hope to return again next year.

6 Thank Blaze
new zealand
Reviewed February 11, 2006

I have stayed at Mana about 6 times. I love the place - great snorkelling, beaches etc. The only down side is the dogs. For some years the villagers have brought puppies and kittens to the resort and then left them to fend for themselves when the novelty has worn off. These poor animals are then poisoned by the resort (via MAF Fiji) periodically (every 3-6 months)which is a horrific death for them (I have seen them staggering around in absolute agony). I have lobbied the hotel and the SPCAs in Suva, NZ and Australia who are keeping a watch on Mana as these wealthy owners and villagers should be disposing them humanely instead. If you see dogs - check with the hotel/backpackers re what their practice is and secondly inform the SPCA in Suva. It is such a shame. Many of the animals are lovely and will walk around the island with you. The treatment of animals generally is a major blight on Fiji and other South Pacific paradises. Shame on them

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank pauline20
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2006

My wife and I were wed at the Warwick on the Coral Coast, and after spending a week there with the family, came to Mana Island for the second leg of a 2 week trip, to relax on our honeymoon.

We were both looking for a purely relaxing time and the Mana delivered on our hopes. I could have given this resort 5/5 but the food was lacking.

Breakdown:

Hotel:

I found it very nicely laid out, spacious and so many places to go and be by yourself. This was the best part about coming here for a honeymoon - oft times we really felt we were all by ourselves.

Some people suggest they kept walking on prickles and sharp grass. I didn't experience this at all and I walked around a fair bit in bare feet.

The hotel was decently maintained and very relaxing. To get to Mana Island we took the ferry / catamaran. This was good as during the 1.5 hours we saw all the other islands along the way.

Staff:

The staff at Mana were quite nice and nothing was ever a problem. There are people to serenade you at night whilst dining, plenty of bar staff to get you a drink. Certainly i felt that 'Fiji Time' wasn't as much of a hindrance on Mana island as it was previously at the Warwick.

Scenery:

Gorgeous. Simply beautiful. The beaches are clean and the water blue. The coral is beautiful as is the life which populates it. I recommend heading up to the lookout at Sunset for a beautiful setting of the sun.

Plenty to walk around and look at in terms of scenery and locals, or if you want to just laze about, absolutely. Mana Island is postcard-perfect as a destination.

Room:

We stayed in one of the beachfront apartments. These are the ones which are a block of two story huts right on the beach front. I found the room quite well maintained and relaxing. The beds were decent, and at night having a good air conditioning unit helped with the sleep. We had a top room with a balcony which was nice to sit at on the evenings reading a book and listening to the ongoing entertainment.

Facilities & Entertainment:

Plenty on offer!

I'd never been snorkelling before Fiji and didn't really get impressed by what the Coral Coast had to offer. Suffice to say, I was really impressed by the snorkelling to be had on Mana. I saw so much - about 20 different small fish, sea snakes, a big fat trawler-type fish that lurked along the coral, and best of all two reef sharks! Snorkelling equipment is in abundance but if you want life jackets in your size best to get there earlier as the bigger ones tend to get snapped up.

There's tiny canoes to go paddling or plenty of banana lounges to just laze away working a tan.

On the other side of the island is where the more involved activities occur - speed boats, a submarine type thing (we felt really sea sick in this, its very small and cramped so if you are at all claustrophobic, steer well clear), parasailing and more. Each activity is pricey so we stuck to just a few things.

There's internet facilities (expensive) and a shop with some items. Unless you want Mana specific souvenirs, best to save your money for the same items in Nadi which are a lot cheaper and bigger variety.

Food & Beverage:

Food at the buffet was pretty average to be honest, and I expected more. The breakfast buffets were okay but how hard is it to get breakfast wrong. The dinner buffets were no good - most things I didnt want to eat, and the deserts all tasted the same.

Lunch is okay though with the grill which bbq's just about everything.

After the first night each other night we ate at either the a la carte bistro (decent but not spectacular food), or the more expensive north restaurant. The food there was actually quite brilliant. I had a whole sauteed lobster which was just divine, and the oysters and prawns were delicious.

The drinks were standard fare with all sorts of cocktails and specials.

Overall for the price you pay, the food could have been a lot better.

Access outside Mana:

The best thing we did off Mana Island was a trip on a yacht out to Tokoriki Island (the island from the film Castaway). This was an entire day trip with plenty to drink and keep you entertained. The lunch bbq was brilliant (almost the best thing we ate in the entire Fiji). They have some singalongs and visit a village for the good old Kava ceremony (we were really sick of Kava by this point in time!).

I recommend this to everyone who goes to Mana as it is a very worthwhile experience.

Overall:

Mana Island gives you the opportunity to experience Fiji as it is shown in brochures, postcards and on television. Comparing it with the mainland at Nadi or the Coral Coast is like walking between two worlds.

Mana Island is very picturesque and the best place if you just want to relax and forget your stressful life back home.

My wife and I are so glad we went there for our honeymoon and next time we go to Fiji we will most likely go straight from Nadi to Mana or one of the other islands instead of staying on the mainland, as the experience in my mind differs so much.

The only thing about Mana Island is that the food needs to improve, as this can make or break an experience for someone. We found the A La Carte and the North Restaurant to have the best food by far. The lunch grills are also okay, but avoid the buffets at night. Breakfast is breakfast but if you want an omelette make sure there's no egg shells in it!

Overall, Mana Island makes me want to go back to Fiji for one of our anniversaries!

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about Mana, Fiji or the Coral Coast!

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank meo5541
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2006

We stayed at Mana Island Resort in December for our Honeymoon and was not disappointed. Early December turned out to be a great time as it was low season and we had great privacy and quick access to all facilities.
All the staff are very friendly, helpful and entertaining (say Hi to Sam for me at the pool bar).
We stayed in an Executive Beachfront Bure which was very comfortable and clean. We had our own spa and patio with direct beach access and views, and also enjoyed free laundary service each day.
Having air conditioning was also a great bonus.
It should be pointed out that this is not a five star resort so the grounds and some facilities are a little tired and "ruggered", however they do their best to keep the resort looking as best it can, such as clear away seaweed from the beach each day.
The pools are not very large and during peak season it would become quite cosy. Pool chairs would also be few and far between.
There are heaps of activities planned everyday with nightly entertainment, the happy hour at the pool bar is fun and relaxing with tasty beverages. There is also access to many motorised water sports equipment, however I can see that in peak season you would have to book everything.
The snorkeling off the North beach is the best I have encountered, very safe, with a lot of marine life and coral.
The food is not the best, breakfast is not great and as it is served outside they have yet to cover up some of the food from the insects.
Lunch is slightly better, mostly BBQ with buffet style salads etc..
Dinner is the best, and they really do attempt to make the most of what ingredients and materials they have. We took advantage of meal plans and are glad we did. Others we spoke to where spending up to $40AUS each just for dinner every night, not including drinks.

Some of the beachfront bures are located far from the main complex so if you don't want to walk far request a closer room if possible. The mezzanine style accom looked very nice, however did not see inside. The inland standard bures look very tired, hot and old.

Overall, fairly good value, great people and we have nothing to complain about. A great time was had by both of us and we would stay again.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank Given
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 5, 2006

The staff at Mana were really friendly. But the food was terrible and since you are on an island you have no choice on where you eat. The food is the only reaason I would not go back. You can't even order food around the pool you have to get change and go to the restaurant. We have a young child and sometimes having to make him wait until the restaurant openned was tough as they are only open for certain hours. The kids club was great with new facilities. The gift shop doesn't offer much in supplies, mainly full of souveniers. The resort is also quite run down. The beach is beautiful and there are some great half hour walks. The Oceanfront rooms we were in were beautiful with great furniture and a neat deck upstairs.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank Nicifive
New Zealand
Reviewed November 6, 2005

We had an amazing week on Mana Island - beautiful beaches, such a relaxing atmosphere, perfect weather, great snorkelling. And we got engaged! As in the previous reviews, the food is average and not cheap, but breakfast was great and drinks reasonable. I'm not sure what the small rooms in the middle of the island are called but I'm glad we were closer to the beach - definitely worth the upgrade. There were only 2 real downers (which may have been more upsetting if we had not just got engaged!). Firstly, the 2nd to last night we were there, all the rooms around us had their balconies emptied of any shoes/non-resort towels/clothes left outside overnight. While it may seem stupid to leave anything outside, the atmosphere of the resort was so friendly and relaxed that many people had left things outside (we lost 3 pairs of shoes). The staff did write reports the next day to take home for insurance. The 2nd thing was I reacted badly to something in the seawater and was covered in round itchy lumps for a few days (and a few other people seemed to have experienced this too). But still a great island - quiet and romantic if thats what you want but would also be great for familtes

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank pabloronaldo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Bounty Island Resort
Bounty Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Bounty Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Matamanoa Island Resort
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,639 reviews
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!