“Total Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Total Paradise”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Bula! I can't wait to return to this island paradise. Everything about Mana Island is heaven. The views at both beaches are breath taking and serene, I didnt get to Sunset Beach due to some weather, so that means I will have something else to look forward to when I return. The restaurnat at North beach is under renos so I had South Beach restaurant or the backpackers to dine at. The food at the restaurant was delicious and fresh with the best fish I have ever tasted. The buffet breakfast was filling and the Fijian omeletts are to die for. The only negative is that the juices were always on the warm side. I ventured down to the backpackers to some lunch a couple of times, the food was amazing and generous, great value for money. The Seaspray is a great day trip around the islands and also provides a fabulous onboard BBQ lunch, great day but use lots of 50+ sunscreen. The staff at Mana Is are the friendliest anyone could encounter and nothing is too much trouble, very kind people. I had an Island Bure and it was perfect for my needs, great size and close to everything. I loved the outdoor shower, very spacious and great water pressure. I can 100% recommend this tropical paradise for relaxtion value. If you want a 5star posh nosh experience you would be really be missing out on the best Fiji experience. The comfort, food, atmoshphere was all 5 star in my books.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Nikkibazzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Excellent ,outstanding , beautiful gorgeous people , took our breath away, Thanks ever so much to Soko and her Staff :-) Planning to come back and get Married on Mana Island. The warm friendly and very relaxing atmosphere

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FijiFrankandTracey
Alnwick, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

It was all a mistake ! Honestly Guv ! We flopped into Nadi airport at 0500, gummy eyed and disorientated, no local money, and no idea of what to do. So, with little gumption or courage, the Missus and I made a shaky decision to get a taxi to go to Port Denarau, and see about a boat to Mana island. Well, after a bit of a wait, and naiively booking a ferry to Mana, we were squuzz onto the boat and cast up on the beach there, We were shepherded into believing that there was no alternative accommodation but the Mana Island resort, and so we dutifully went along with being shepherded like sheep into this big complex of faux bures, swimming pools, huge dining areas, this 'n that, and gradually relieved of a considerable amount of cash.......... far more that we'd budgeted for ! OK. ( or not OK ) it wasn't until we'd had an evening meal that we found out that there was a really brilliant place to eat, a sort of back packers restaurant, on the beach, 4 minutes walk away from where we'd beached. It was friendly, informal, inexpensive in comparison, and the food was to die for ! The best fish meal I have EVER had in my life ! I crappeth ye not ! The local beer was finest kind too ! We ate there for the rest of the visit. The local kids are enchanting, eager to practice their English, and humbling with their trust of total strangers.
Mana, is great, if you ignore the shepherds that guide you away from the REAL local scene, with local people, and not imported workers for a big corporate organisation. A great getaway place. The sea's warm, safe and the local dogs just sit in it to keep cool. Beware of sunburn even when the sky is grey and overcast !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Pete B
Nadi, Fiji
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I recently visited Mana Island resort with my work mates and the hospitality is extremely the best. The management and staffs at the resort are very friendly and the buffet meals are truly awesome. I was very impressed with the beauty of the untouched island and very amazed to see that very few island resorts have turtle breeding and releasing programs. I went out snorkeling with my work mates and it was amazed to see the the beauty of the corals and different kind of fish. The white sandy beach at north and south are the best. I took out time to go to the lookout point and amazed to see the beauty around mana island

Room Tip: Block 600 rooms on the south beach are the best as you get to see the beauty of the ocean with the s...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronald069
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed at Mana Island in October for 6 nights with a mixture of adults and children from 9 years to 15 years old. And it was a wonderful place to have a relaxing family holiday with lots of options.

We stayed in an Oceanfront Suite on the South Beach which was a fantastic space - 2 bathrooms, mezzanine floor with queen bed and beautiful views from the deck, 2 single beds downstairs with a lounge area and a covered terrace from which it was only a few metres to the beach. There was a small fridge, but no ice. It was quiet and clean, though a bit of a walk to the main hotel complex on the North Beach. The tiling in the bathrooms was a bit rugged, but it is a tropical island after all.

Some of our group stayed in an Island Bure which looked very cute with thatched roof and outdoor stone shower. It was fine, but not very spacious, and further from a beach.

Both rooms were serviced well each day with gorgeous fresh tropical flowers displayed, a special touch. Both rooms had air con, though we preferred not to use it, just open the shutters and let the breeze (of which there was plenty) flow through. Windows had fly screens, but bugs, mozzies etc. were not a problem, and I didn't see any cockroaches.

Mana is a beautiful island, and the great thing is it is big enough to go for a decent walk and get out of the Resort if you want. There are nice walks to lookouts and the Sunset Beach loop which are definitely worth the effort. Do make an effort to go outside the fence and see the village down the beach, it is more the real Fiji, and any food or gifts are gratefully received. We packed old clothes the kids had grown out of and took the kids down to the village to pass the clothes on to some appreciative locals. We took quite a bit of food which we brought from home (snacks, drinks etc) that we didn't end up eating so we gave that to the ladies in the village when we left too. Apparently the hotel staff are not allowed to accept gifts from guests. But there is so much waste from the hotel and so much poverty outside, it is good to give what you can.

The beaches are fabulous, the water clear and was warm, and the snorkelling good and easy, straight off the beach. North Beach was better, the drop off was amazing and the fish were plentiful, but weather permitting, South Beach was ok. We took our own snorkelling gear for ease, but it didn't look difficult to use the resort gear. The great thing about Mana is that there are the 2 beaches, so whichever way the wind is blowing, there is a sheltered option. I'm not sure other Resorts would be like that. The kids liked being able to swim out to the pontoon on the South Beach and kayaking there on a sunny day was just superb. We used the catamarans a couple of times when it was not too windy, we didn't spend extra on motorised sports but did enjoy watching others try them out. Do be aware that some water activities can't take place if the tide is low or it is too windy.

The kids spent a lot of time in the pool, which was quite small, and yes, could be kept cleaner, it is used a lot. But we didn't catch any illnesses, the worst that happened was sunburn. Nice to sit and watch them while sipping a cool drink or ordering a yummy ice cream. It is certainly a beautiful island.

Lots of discussion on the food. We ate at the buffet breakfast and dinner, all except for 1 night when we booked at the South Beach restaurant and which was actually a disappointment - muddled service and overcooked food. The breakfast buffet was good, plenty of choice of things kids eat, always had freshly cooked eggs etc, and delicious fresh tropical fruit (yummy pineapple!). If you can, get a table outside on the deck, looking over the ocean, just fabulous. (My girls loved the 3 kittens that wandered around looking for attention). The dinners were a bit mixed, but choose the food wisely and stay away from cold food that may have been sitting there for a while. It is not 5 star cuisine but it is perfectly edible if you are not too precious. The biggest disappointment really was the very variable level of cocktail making skills at the bar, but always such friendly service it didn't matter.

All in all, if you are looking for a high level of luxury and attention, don't go to Mana. If you are looking for a relaxed, safe, casual resort holiday with lots of things to do, Mana is ideal. I would definitely go again as a family holiday destination.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank FooNZ
central coast
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We were looking forward to our stay on Mana to be disappoint from the moment we got there. We stayed there from the 13th of November through to the 17th. We got there on a very hot day to be sat down in the hall like we were at a school Summer camp to check in with no air conditioning. It was a hour before getting to our room and we were traveling with three very hot young children. The food is absolutely disgusting. The buffet meal were really bad there was cockroaches crawling around the food. The food wasn't fresh and we felt sick after ever meal. The decks around the resort were dangerous with missing palings and nails sticking out. The water sports were very expensive and not all available. The pool wasn't clean it was cloudy you couldn't even see the bottom of the pool. We were getting the same reports from other families on the island so the mode on the island wasn't a pleasant one. We stayed 5 nights on the island and we couldn't wait to get off the island. I wouldn't recommend it at all. From one of the other reviews I'm glad to hear you choose to leave the island. Ki would say this is a 2 star resort.

• Stayed November 2013
6 Thank bazzie81
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I recently travelled to Fiji with my 12 year old son and spent 4 nights at Mana Island resort. Having visited Fiji many times but never to Mana, I was impressed by the beauty of the relatively untouched Island. With comfortable and spacious accom and snorkelling right off the beach it was a great family holiday. The food was good, but don't expect too much from breakfast buffet. It was fine, just not over the top.Personally I don't travel to Fiji for the food anyway. Kids and adults alike will love this place.

Room Tip: 2 story family villa good option for families but maybe not for young ones with a steep staircase up...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jo M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Tadrai Island Resort
Tadrai Island Resort
#2 of 2 in Mana Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Plantation Island Resort
Plantation Island Resort
#3 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki ...
#2 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!