“Great for families!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great for families!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We visited Mana in August and had a wonderful time. The bures are adequate given that you are not expected to do much in them other than sleep. The outdoor shower was a highlight! We also stayed in the Deluxe Oceanfront Bure which was great for the kids as they all seem to meet outside the bures and socialise. Oceanfront Suites, where the rest of the extended family stayed, were also wonderful but lack the Fiji feel that the bures give you. Kids club was good. Water activities were great and we all loved the snorkelling. Food was better than expected and all meals were nice. Pools not great but as we stayed at the Sofitel as well, this didnt matter so much. Family who stayed in the Oceanfront Suites caught garden staff going through personal belongings twice! Do no leave valuables lying around. Use the safes provided. Wonderful place where we all had a ball.

2 Thank Lee M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rosedale, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

we recently visited mana island resort in august. had read many reviews and was unsure what to expect but we were pleasently surprised. stayed in the island buree nice and clean great air con had it going most of the time comfy beds plenty of space for 2A 1Child. my parents had booked ocean front suite but got upgraded to ocean front buree and wow heaps of space very clean great views from balcony and only 10 steps to the beach and the turn down service at night was a great touch! read lots of complaints about the food but it was great there was 7 of us traveling and no one complained we all ate in the buffet breakfast and dinner for 7 nights even with a fussy eater he never went hungry always found something he ate. the staff were so friendly always helpful and funny. great day spa a must visit!

2 Thank belinda b
Esperance, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Excellent facilities , fantastic location . Water sports offered are great. No parasailing which was disappointing but should be going again by the time I return. Restaurants were clean and the food was fresh and tasty. Definitely would recommend a trip here. Even if it is just a day trip.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Sonya D
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were only on Mana for 2 nights but had a wonderful time. It is a spectacularly beautiful place and the resort is just fine. We were upgraded automatically on arrival from an Island Bure to one of the beachfront ones on South Beach which of course we were more than happy about. It was well appointed and private and well maintained by the staff during our stay. We only ate food at the Smorgasbord at North Beach one night. It was fine, Asian night the night we were there and the "make your own" noodle stir fry was great. The main reason we didn't eat there all the time is that we were on a bit of a budget and it wasn't cheap....$60 FJ I think. For breakfast we had brought some fruit from the mainland and just had tea and bikkies in our Bure on the last morning. Twice we ate at Mana Lagoon Backpackers where we had 2 wonderful curry meals at reasonable price. I don't think the main resort loves you going there but they can't stop you. It's easy to find. Just walk toward South Beach and turn left. At low tide you can just walk along the beach or at high tide you can walk along the track behind the restaurant, past the turtles and the water sports hut. You go through a gate and just keep walking. It's the second eating place, not the first. The first is Ratu Kini's Backpackers. It might be fine too but we didn't eat there. For our other meals we ate at South Beach restaurant which also has great food. Big servings so one time we shared a meal. They didn't mind. Beef burger and chips recommended. Top tips for Mana TIP1. I had read that the checking in procedure is a bit shambolic and it is a little but if you arrive there expecting it then it shouldn't be a problem. They take your bags away and everybody waits at South beach restaurant and they give you a drink and then eventually they let you leave. So if you are arriving on the early Ferry then pack your swimmers and a bit of other stuff in your hand luggage so you have something to do with yourself while you are waiting to check in, which you should be able to do by @1pm. Eventually you and your bags will be reunited. TIP2. If you are a photographer walk to Sunset beach every afternoon and at least one morning get up before the sun and head to the little hill at western end of North beach. It's a nice little walk through the rainforest and spectacular views at the top. TIP3 Don't snorkel where everybody else does. There are some amazing spots with wonderful coral and fish but you have to be a bit adventurous. Just be a little careful after the top of the tide as there is a little bit of current pulling away from the beach in some spots. TIP4. If you are a visitor, then don't walk or stand on the coral. If you work at the resort then please put some restrictions on the idiotic few who walk all over the reef at low tide or use the coral outcrops as resting stations. You can see where they've been and it aint pretty. If you want to have an island without a decent reef attraction, then just keep doing what you are doing........All that said, the staff at Mana are wonderful and we had an unforgettable time there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NeilPAustralia
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Arriving by boat from the mainland guests are greeted by a Fijian choir welcoming you. It just sets the scene for the most beautiful and relaxing holiday. Checkin is handled without any fuss and we were delighted to find ourselves upgraded to oceanfront units. Breakfast is plentiful and varied and extremely tasty and well presented . The island has the nicest and friendliest staff that I have ever met. Beaches are beautiful , clean and snorkelling excellent. Good at buffet and restaurant is very good. We ate at the backpackers as well. Mana resort I love you and we will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Kezzalin
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I wish to express my absolute dismay and disgust about the management of this resort. My review maybe a little different from the rest as I didnt actually stay at this resort but stayed at the backpackers next door (Ratu Kini). However my 2 year old son and I travelled to Mana Island for my cousins wedding. He was having his wedding at this resort. I must say the wedding itself was truly magnificent. The reception was time of elegance. Cannot fault that at all. I had family staying at this resort.The beach front cottage @ Ratu Kinis that we stayed at faced South Beach. 1 morning us 3 decided to walk along the beach and we ended up walking towards North beach which is on the other side where Mana Resort is so I said to cousin id walk back to the room to get some stuff for my 2 y/o son to swim in the beach. As I walked back i didnt walk along South beach rather I went thru the walkway which backs and is separated by a gate & guard to Ratu Kini's. When approaching this I was met by a rude security guard who grilled me with questions before telling me I was not allowed to walk this way as I was a backpacker & staying at Ratu Kinis. I was told I had to walk right around the island. he asked where I was staying, what I was doing there, where is the other 2 people I was walking with along the beach (so obviously stalking us!), what family I had at Mana Island resort and I had no business there. The manner of how he spoke to me is absolutely disrespectful!

After getting my sons beach swimming gear I was walking back where he told me I had to walk right around and gave me the directions I tried to explain that I had a 2y/o at the beach who was waiting with my cousin with no relief so I ended up following the directions I was given and I walked for about 45mins up thru the back of the village, into the bushland and ended up at the top of the cliff and from there I got lost. Imagine being alone and in a island you dont even know. I was almost in tears cause I was lost. I evetually found my way back to the backpackers and bumped into the mgr of Ratu Kini who went to speak to the security guard to plead with him to let me thru. after about 5mins I was summoned and it was a different guard by this time (tevita) who then looked at me with disgust, asked for my name and from the looks of it reluctantly let me thru. We eventually found out this resort owns half the island so they can do whatever they want. However making any visitor to this island feel like second class citizens with your guards and security gates doesnt make it all the pretty.

From my observations not even the staff looked happy half the time. End of the day my cousin who was getting married had to speak to higher management to ask them to give us access to see them and for their wedding which was on the Tuesday. The answer was no! But we were only allowed to visit the resort on the day they got married. All other days we were not allowed to see them. However they were allowed to come see us at the Ratu Kinis so when they asked this resort to ring us to let us know as we werent allowed to join them for dinner they came to us, they asked the resort to ring Ratu Kinis to let us know they were coming for dinner this resort declined to ring us as they did not want to ring the 'backpacker'.

What a load of [--]!
I will be writing a review on Ratu Kinis.

2 Thank Meagan M
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

There were several things that we were very disappointed with at this resort:
- We were expecting a bure designed for a couple, however our room (505) was a bure joined to another with a shared deck (no privacy) and the room was crowded with two double beds and a single bed which was just odd and made the room cramped. The water doesn't work in the middle of the night and the shower fluctuated from hot to cold at all times of the day. Air con was incredibly noisy. Room generally quite tired. Very dark with not enough lighting - you could open the shutters but then you lose all privacy altogether. Staff refused to let us move rooms, despite us seeing people check out from other bures and knowing they could have moved us into one of them.
- Bures are set well back from the beach and in a semicircle so they all face each other. With the exception of one or two which are right by the water.
- Service was incredibly unhelpful and borderline rude. I've never encountered this in Fiji before and we were taken aback. Every request was met with a no and a cold, hard demeanour. I got grilled by the housekeeping staff about why I needed an extra towel when I called to get fresh towels to our room. On one day I was told there were no clean beach towels available until the next boat arrived with a new load.
- Breakfast was supposed to be included in our room rate but despite our travel agent requesting it we had to have three separate conversations during our stay to try and get it sorted out.
- Pool - apparently there is an adults pool and a kids pool however the adults pool was overrun with kids due to the kids pool being 'closed for cleaning' during our stay. Due to the beaches being tidal this means that there were no swimming options during low tide unless we wanted to jump in with the toddlers and their various inflatable devices.
- Restaurants - for dinner you can choose from either a $65 per person buffet served in a cafeteria-like environment (why would you, the food did not look like it lived up to the price); or you can dine at the a la carte restaurant. The a la carte restaurant was actually fine with a few good options and fairly reasonably priced but the problem is that it cannot cater for the number of guests that they have so more often than not it was fully booked and we were left with the option of walking along to the backpackers down the beach.

The positives - the beaches here are stunningly beautiful and the fact that they face different sides of the island means you can always find a sheltered spot out of the wind. The snorkelling off North Beach is great and you only have to swim a few meteres out before you start seeing the fish and coral.

If they could sort out the management of the resort then this place would be absolute paradise.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms on south beach looked lovely. Bures in the 400s are standalone, bures in the 500s ar...