“Should be 3 star...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mana Island Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mana Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Should be 3 star...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

After having our holiday with friends at Mana island resort, I wouldn't recommend it to others.
It wasn't really bad, just a bit of a disappointment. The beaches surrounding the island are breathtakingly beautiful, as are the Fijian people.

The service wasn't the best, as it seemed very understaffed compared to other Fijian resorts. For example at the buffet we were always chasing staff to clear tables and order drinks etc.
For $70FJD per head, we expected better.

One massive issue we had, was that the resort seemed to turn off their entire water supply to the rooms from about 1am until 5am. This REALLY bothered us. Can you imagine having a baby that needs a bottle, but having no running water? Hot or cold? Or not being able to flush the toilet? On that note, I would recommend being careful with the tap water as although it is apparently safe to drink, it is recommended to boil prior to drinking.

The room service was very poor, where we often would go back to our room at the end of the day (5ish) to find our rooms not cleaned and no clean towels for us.

Especially compared to other Fijian resorts, we felt that Mana lacked atmosphere.Just some music, or even pool side service for drinks would have made a huge difference.

On a positive note, the snorkeling was AMAZING!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lizzy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just back from 7 nights on Mana Island ... we travelled as a family of four - 2 adults and 2 young children (1 1/2 and 3 1/2). I normally don't write reviews however I want to warn other families with young kids off Mana as it is not safe nor suitable for them

We did not go expecting a 4 star resort however we did expect it to be clean and safe for us and our children, to have grounds that are well cared for where our kids could run around safely, a nice pool to laze by and good service.

We knew about the damage that the cyclone had caused - however it is very obvious once at Mana that the resort is not only damaged but very run down and suffering from a general lack of maintenance and care. For example during our stay my toddler found my toddler found nails by the pool, screws by our unit, broken glass in the grounds, uneven concrete to trip over etc

On our arrival at Mana we were taken by Bula Bus to the main lounge where everyone is checked in we were then given a map and had to find our own way to the room ... With hand luggage, pram and 2 tired young children this was not our idea of how one should start their holiday ... the next night at the backpackers we saw the new arrivals greeted and shown to their rooms ... this is lack of service was very typical of our whole Mana experience

We did have a good time but that is because we love Fiji and its people as opposed to us loving Mana

First up the positives

* great natural beauty, lovely beaches and snorkelling
* Fijians are so warm and lovely and Mana staff are no exception
* upon issues with our first room and the resort we were upgraded very quickly ... of this we were very appreciative but this still did not offset the negatives of the place
* great kids club and babysitting services

Now the negatives

* Not safe for young children
* my toddler found nails by the pool, screws by our unit, broken glass in the grounds
* Allot of the decking outside our rooms on South Beach had nails coming out of them
* The children's beds in our unit had electric sockets by their pillows
* family pool surrounds uneven and dangerous

* Food is terrible -
* only edible food is at poolside cafe we ate most of our meals at the backpackers
* Breakfast Buffet okay but not peasant flies, lack of fans and general lack of service - have to chase staff to get coffees, tables cleared etc
* South Beach Restaurant food is terrible
* Dinner Buffet - can;t comment on this as we went to the backpackers instead - lovely food

* Family Pool is one of the worst we have seen at any resort - not somewhere we wanted to spend any period of time

* Lack of maintenance brings feel of resort down - everywhere you look you can see evidence that the place has not been maintained

* Continual issues with air conditioning in rooms, electrical in rooms etc meant we had work men in our rooms on several occasions including one night till 11pm and we were left without electricity on several occasions = no air conditioning during baby nap times

* Inconsistent house keeping - missing bath towels, beach towels, sheets, coffee etc happy to fix but required us to constantly chasing them

Overall I would strongly recommend not going to Mana

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Shelley H
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is the true beauty of Fiji - great food, friendly people and relaxing white sand beaches. We only stayed 3 nights but I wish it was longer. There is a beautiful coral reef on the Northern beach (comes with anemones with clown fish) and the beaches are so nice you wish there were more hours in the day. The food was good but has been Westernised a bit too much for my liking (compared to my previous visit to Mana 8 years ago). The staff were great and the rooms were in good working order, however, some minor refurbishments are becoming necessary. They are recovering from some serious damage which makes some changes to things, would have been nicer if they had let us know before we arrived (South Beach restaurant and Horizon Pool were closed). The dive shop was a bit relaxed with their safety standards so unless you're experienced I wouldn't recommend them. Still, Mana Island remains one of my favorite places on earth and I would probably return a third time to this laid back beach resort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side aren't exposed to boat and water sports noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DenAndBel
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

My family and I went to Mana for our first trip overseas...this was last September (2012), however I have long felt guilty for not hopping on and reviewing our holiday, as we loved it and are going back this year. My husband and I have 3 daughters aged 7, 9 and 15 and it was fantastic for each of them - and us! My youngest loved the kids club, even though she wasn't joined by her sisters. My middle daughter found the activities a bit 'young' for her (eg she was looking forward to making the coconut dessert balls, however wasn't allowed to touch/make them like she thought when we had read the activities on the board - although she did get to hunt for the coconuts and then eat the balls once they were made by kids club staff). My 15 yr old was quite happy in snorkelling further out than us off North beach and wandering off on walks to explore, where of course she ended up meeting others her own age at times.

We found the food fine at the buffet and preferred the atmosphere out on the deck overlooking the beach much more than inside or at South Beach Restaurant. Breakfasts were lovely with something for everyone - my girls enjoyed the pancakes with maple syrup while my husband and I went up to have our poached eggs cooked to order, and the friendly Fijian staff there were always on hand in the mornings to bring us a pot of tea/milk with our brekky.

It was a case of just enough to do - not too much going on and yet still a few activities to keep the kids occupied - for our family. We live near the beach at home and so our girls are quite comfortable spending their time on a beach, swimming, snorkelling or reading a magazine under a tree - so if that's the type of holiday you're after, Mana is reasonable in cost for what it is - our highlights were the natural beauty, clean, simple and authentically Fijian accommodation (Island bures) - outdoor shower was beautiful, showering under a frangipani tree and the stars! - and plentiful food, nice cocktails with nightly music, and the lovely laid back Fijian people.

On that last note, my 3 girls had their hair braided by "Andy" (see my attached photo) up past the backpacker's at the village, who is lovely and did a great job (for half the price of the resort)...and I certainly don't see any harm in spreading the wealth, given we mostly ate, drank and obviously stayed at the resort. We also visited the village school where the kids welcomed our's to a game of volleyball and you are able to leave a donation in a box up at the office if you like to help their school buy basics.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank griswaldsSydney
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to Magical Mana having last visited immediately after TC Evan. Wow! What a difference 4 months makes to the vegetation and also the resort.

We stayed 6 nights in an Island Bure which was adequate for our family of 5 - we also cant go past the outdoor shower. We were in Bure 109 which was centrally located.

Kids Club - the kids loved kids club and a big thanks must go to Bullie, Cinderella, Va, Sandra and Big Mumma for making their time there so special! A highlight would have to have been watching the kids perform their very own Meke Show in full costume. An extra special thanks to Bullie for making a special effort to wave us farewell.

A few of the changes we noticed were:
1. Brand new decking boards around the infinity pool - WOW!
2. New decking boards near the pool bar. All other decking has been removed and replaced in part by a sand area.
3. Half a dozen or so umbrellas and about a dozen new deck chairs around the Mana Pool - this is great but they could do with more.
4. South Beach Restaurant operating out of the Conference Room. This was a great alternative to the buffet but remember to book early.

We took the half board option. The buffet breakfasts were good, although we werent overly impressed by the dinners at the buffet. We ended up eating at South Beach most nights and the kids ate from room service (this also allowed them to get back to kids club on time!). We had a few lunches at the buffet and thought this was a good option at $30FJD per adult and the kids ate free.

Would highly recommend the Island Hopping Tour operated by Sea Fiji. We visited Castaway Island which was just amazing and the staff there were very friendly. I will put this resort on my wish list. Then we visited Plantation Island and as much as I wanted to like this resort it really lacked personality, the pools were overcrowded and dirty and the staff were few and far between. Lunch at Anandas was a BBQ buffet with salads and ice cream and fruit for dessert. Quite happy to pay $30 FJD for adults and $15 FJD for kids to eat here. We had a quick walk through Musket Cover on the way back to the boat and this resort looked quite nice indeed. Perhaps the highlight of the day was the snorkelling off the sandbar not far from Plantation Island.

Back at Mana the cocktails were good, as was the poolside bingo, crab racing was great fun too, as was all the free enterainment at night (Meke Show, Polynesian Show, Beach Bonfire and Suprise Entertainment). We enjoyed some snorkelling off both North and South Beach also. The short walk to Lookout Point is well worth it for the view alone and the kids loved climbing in the tree house on the way down.

It did get quite windy on North Beach some afternoons however if this was the case South Beach was quite calm and a good alternative

Another highlight was, as returnees, being invited to the GM's cocktail party. This is held every Tuesday night and was a great chance to meet other guests and staff.

We woke up early on our last day for the first Mana Island Anzac Day Service and we felt honoured to be a part of what will hopefully become a Mana Island tradition.

We are already planning to return again for our 4th visit next Easter!

Room Tip: Island Bures are great for families with younger kids and centrally located on the Island, mid-way b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank ChelleL
Picton NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Read plenty of reviews before booking here even though some of them were pretty bad.
My experience was great:-
yes the showers are luke warm at best, but hey thats the price you pay for being environmentally friendly! The offset is that the beaches are great the staff are fabulous and the atmosphere is second to none.
One let down for us was the buffet I am not a fan of buffets not because i don't like them I just don't like the people at buffets they seem to take on a second personality! As soon as a new plate of food is put down they all run for it like a pack of vultures then fill their plates as if its the last supper.
Buffets aside we ate at the a la carte restaurant that is in the banquet hall on south beach which was great they do pizza and pasta as well as a selection of seafood and steak we ate here on our last night and were amazed at the difference in food from the buffet restaurant.
They are rebuilding the a la carte restaurant on the south beach and it looks amazing so once its back to its old self after the cyclone rebuilding should be much better for anyone wanting a nice meal without the buffet vultures lingering over your shoulder.
The room we stayed in was an ocean view suite I would highly recommend these they are on the south beach side and are very modern with a king bed upstairs and an ensuite and downstairs 2 single beds as well as a sofa bed with bathroom that leads out onto the lawn about 30 metres from the beach.
I would recommend to anyone that goes o mana island to visit Yoshi and the team at aqua trek diving i went for 3 dives with these guys and both daughters 13 and 10 did their scuba diver and open diver courses here. My other daughter 11 didn't stop snorkelling on south beach where you can see pretty much every variety of reef fish on the drop off about 50 meters off the beach.
Water sports were very pricey and really pretty average looking for what you got so would only recommend diving and snorkelling and what ever free activities you can get.
Bingo is a highlight and so is the meke show and fijian church choir.
Some of the rooms or Bures are pretty average looking so would definitely recommend the ocean front suites only if you want the same sort of accommodation as the mainland resorts otherwise the bures would suit families on a budget.
My kids all got braided hair at the village by a lovely lady called miriam she was half the price of the resort and did a top job 3 girls with below shoulder length hair $200 fijian the lot.
Love this place and will be coming back very soon Vinaka to all the staff on Mana Island!!!
Come to Mana if you like fiji time and relaxing on a beautiful island, expect a little when you get there and you will definitely come of the island with a lot.

Room Tip: Stay in the ocean front suites if you like modern accommodation with the best location on the island...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BulaBoy73
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Mana Island Resort was something that I was looking forward to after our 10 days in NZ.
We were greeted well with the staff at the entrance and we walked a long way to the reception where we got the idea of the reconstruction going on after the hurricane on the NORTH beach side. North beach rooms are shut and so is the restaurant. Best for snorkeling during morning and afternoon on north side.

We checked in the room and its literally like a motel room, V V V old and dated.

the beds are clean and that's the only thing that's clean, As much as I would want to understand and let go that its an Island and things are tough to be top notch but the money that you pay, You expect things to be good accordingly.

Pros:
One of the most important reason people stay here> > > AQUA TREK SCUBA DIVING
Best Place for Scuba and Snorkeling
Good entertainment during the day and in the night
Reasonable prices in the restaurant not over the top
Good Food
Good Staff, Friendly people.
Nice pools

Cons:
Avoid this place if you are not into snorkeling or Diving.
Everything is v dated
Dirty Rooms
Breakfast is OK not too many options for vegetarian
V V old Toilets and Bath tub
NO TV
we had a hair dryer in the room which was so dirty and old, it wasnt working and we had to ask to replace it.
no coffee in the room, no other facilities in the room.

Please go only if you are going to be diving with AQUATREK if you expect This to be a RESORT, this is not a one.

Again I am not against this resort, just a perspective. I was there for the resort and my wife for Scuba Diving Course with Aquatrek. She LOVED the COURSE and DIVING !!! I hated the resort and wasn't happy at all .... but overall it was a good FIJI Trip.

I hope they upgrade the facilities or change their pricing as its a RIP OFF for what you pay !!

FIJI islands are the best and mana is simply beautiful but there are hardly any resorts as big as mana and you donot have more options to pick from, Its not clean thats my only problem. LOCATION -Priceless !!

TIP -
Please Buy things like Water, Drinks, Snacks and all the items you think you need from DENARU ISLAND port or any store on the way from airport to denaru island port.
You can carry those things with you on the Ship to the island. You will SAVE a lot of MONEY !!

BULA !!!

Bounty Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Bounty Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Plantation Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,295 reviews
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!