“Bula?”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Bula?”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently came back from our 5 day holiday on Mana Island. I found the resort to have beautiful gardens, there is some damage from the cyclone but we could see some new apartments being build on the South Beach which look very modern.Furthur on there were some log cabin type bures which looked lovely.Wish we could have afforded though but our little bure was great too. Room serviced everyday but on 2 occasions it only got cleaned at 4 pm.Found this an inconvenience as we had a few massages and would have like to go back to a clean room to have a lie down.The spa and therapists are fantastic,giving quality treatments and highly recommend the scalp ritual.We had 2 treatments each and were glad we indulged.

There are 2 resturants: The North Beach has buffet only at $65 Fijian per adult and the South Beach has an ala carte resturant between $30 - $40 per meal. Food much better at South Beach resturant. The kokoda (fish in coconut) was amazing. We had researched the island before we left so found out that the Backpackers food was best - which it was. Around $20 - $35 per meal and by far the best quality food such as stir frys, chicken etc. Just dont have the garlic prawn, wasnt that great. Cocktail hour between 5-6 pm is a joke with a $4 save and not good cocktails. The full price $17 cocktails were really nice with good amount of alcohol. We bought 12 x 1L bottles of water from Port Denaura as were told not to drink the Fiji water, these lasted exactly 5 days.We also bought beers and lemonade from port which helped save heaps.

Snorkeling was our biggest highlight , we snorkelled at least 3 x a day and saw lots of cute fish - parrot fish, nemos, angel fish etc we also saw sea cucumbers and blue starfish on the north beach and were lucky enought to see two stingrays on the south island.

The stray dogs on the island are not an issue as mentioned in previous reviews and we actually befriended two dogs which would go for walks with you on the island or sit with you at the backpackers. There is alot of broken glass on the backpacker side , not great to see but there is no reason to really go this side as not snorkelling spots. Beaches infont of resort are clean and safe.

Entertainment was at 9pm which I though was far to late as we were ready for bed by that time due to lots of activity and sun during the day.

The only negative side of our trip was that we found the price of the food to high for the quality. I dont mind paying high prices but only If I get my moneys worth. We also found that some staff were too forceful with "Bula". I understand that this is how they welcome you but by the 5th day , you are just over it. Some of the staff would stand and have a lengthy conversation with you asking the same questions over and over again when all you want is some peace and quiet - It gets a little intrusive at times.

I probably wouldnt go back again, not because I was unhappy with the resort but when I go on holiday good food is a big part of it. Otherwise I enjoyed my stay and completely unwound.Fiji is a beautiful place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Roma QLD
Reviewed March 24, 2013

From the time we flew into Mana Island Resort to the moment we left it was amazing! The staff, the accommodation, food and the island itself was complete bliss and 4-5 star. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view bure however they should be called beach bures as they are literally only 10 metres from the sand. I would advise that you stay in one of these as they are very modern and even though you have a connecting room they are private. The food was amazing and we pre-paid for the buffet as we had our 18 old son with us and we all ate every bit of food we had on our plates. The hotel staff are amazing especially the Fijians. Cocktails are the go and make sure you get them from the pool bar. Make sure you book a massage or treatment at the spa its the best spa treatment i have ever had in my life and i walked out feeling a new person. We had our 3rd year wedding anniversary at the south beach and the food and service was the best we have ever had anywhere. We got a surprise cake and champagne along with a band after our dinner- it was amazing and i even cried LOL. The snorkeling is free and would recommend it on both sides of the island however its much better on the north beach. Sunset beach was the best swimming on the island as its crystal clear and very clean. You wouldnt know a cyclone has been through the island as its all cleaned up and only some construction around behind the bar is going on however you dont notice it. The only thing we did not like was the asian bartender as he picked his nose every time you looked over he was picking. He even picked his nose in front of a lobby full of guests and then started folding napkins and cutlery for the diners. EWWW! the kids club and nanny service is amazing and my son was like a superstar over there with every Fijian wanting to kiss and hold him. Love it! overall it was the best beach holiday i have ever had and we will be going back.

4 Thank karenlovesbilly
Port Macquarie
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We have just had my son's beach wedding here at Mana Island what a beautiful location. There were 16 of us and we were treated so well the staff are amazing the service fantasic the rooms are great. There is some construction going on as they do repairs from the cyclone and upgrade the resort but you really don't notice as everywhere you go there is a smiling face only to eager to help make your stay a memorable one and that they did I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a great holiday. We stayed in the beach front rooms very spacious and clean. The snorkling on the North Beach is amazing the coral and fish were in abundance you have use of free snorkle gear allday well worth it. Would go here again

7 Thank MAZD64
vic
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I just returned from Mana Island 2 days ago and i traveled with my husband, 2 kids (4yr &1yr old) and my mum and dad. I am going to write this review from beginning as i think some people will find it helpful and i hope it answers a lot of people's questions as i had many before i went. So here it goes.

Getting there- We flew Air Pacific on a midnight flight and it was a good experience. We were given a row with a bassinet for my 1yr old daughter which was very helpful. You get a meal as soon as you take off and they also gave my 4 yr old son coloring book and pencils. I found them very helpful and friendly and would recommend them to fly to Fiji.

Customs at Fiji are not as strict and more friendly then Australia and we had no issues at all. We took lots of snacks with us such as biscuits, chips, nuts, crackers etc. and they didn't question anything.

We used Pacific destination for our car ride to marina which were also great and efficient.
At the marina we used Sea Fiji water taxi as we didn't want to wait for the ferry and wanted to get to the island quicker because of the kids. They were very friendly and helpful. We went on a Absolute II boat which was good but the ride is very bumpy and a bit scary sometime so i wished we took the ferry instead because the kids especially 1yr old got a bit scared. If it was just the adults traveling it would be fine but if you are traveling with kids i would def use south sea cruise ferry next time. The whole boat ride was about 40-45 mins.

Mana Island-We arrived at Mana Island on the south beach side with no one in sight but after 5 mins we were greeted by someone on a buggy and our luggage was collected and we were taken to the reception area for meet and greet. We were given a welcome cocktail and were told about the facilities etc. We then had breakfast while our room was getting ready. We bought all inclusive meal plan. The buffet breaky was good. Variety was good and they had egg station every morning where you can have either omelet, fried, poached or boiled egg. The pastry's were always really yummy too.

After our breaky we went to look around the pool area and the beach on north side. There was some work being done behind the round pool which is also kids pool but u could still use the pool. The pool bar was great and staff really friendly. As mentioned from previous reviews the decking is pretty shocking especially around mamanuca restaurant and around infinity pool area but they are working on it as we speak.

Room- Deluxe Ocean View Room- We had the interconnecting bure's 503-504 and they were great! They both consisted of 2 double beds, single bed, sofa lounge with arm chairs and coffee table. The room also had a desk, mini bar fridge, hair dryer, mortein spray, 2 aerogurad sprays and some mossie stuff that you can plug in, slippers, safe, tea and coffee with clean kettle and wine glasses, normal glasses and mugs. The rooms also had 2 beautiful fresh flower arrangements which were replaced every day with house keeping.

Outside of the bure on our private balcony were lovely table and chairs and also banana lounge chairs with cushions. We found the room very spacious and it was clean. Of course you will have occasional insect and ants but hey you are on a tropical island after all.

The house keeping was always good and friendly and always asked if we needed anything. Beach towels are provided so don't bother taking any with you. They will replace them for you if you need everyday or you can dry them on balcony. You can also take dirty towels to your blocks laundry and they will happily give you fresh ones.

Food- As i mentioned before we bought all inclusive meal plan and that works out much cheaper. The food at lunch is always a BBQ but they do have different variety pretty much every day. You don't eat as much at lunch because you are still full from breaky. Dinner is a theme buffet every night. From memory they had Asian, Lovo(traditional Fiji food), European and SeaFood nights. Also they do have stations such as pasta where you can have a really nice pasta dish made fresh which was my fave meal there and i believe there was a stir fry one as well. Desserts were the best and had lots of variety and very very yummy. Fresh fruit was also good.

A la carte menu was limited but we decided to give it a go one night and we wish we didn't. It wasn't very nice. We got $50FJ credit for it so that was good as i really don't think it was worth it.

Cocktails were pretty good and they were about $16FJ. My hubby also liked Vonu beer.

Sunset Beach- Bula Bus will take you there and pick you up whenever you want. Very beautiful beach but very windy and the sun is soooo Hot that we burned even though we had heaps of sunscreen on . We only stayed for 2 hrs and that was plenty.

Entertainment-We saw Polynesian show and Meke show which were both fantastic, especially the Polynesian show when they do their fire tricks. Amazing! The band was good and they have a female singer who sings beautifully.

Spa- My Fave place at the island! Very nice atmosphere and all the girls were lovely and professional. I had sugar glow body scrub, aroma therapy massage and also a package that included a massage, facial, foot massage, foot and hand hot stone wrap. It was devine and worth the money. They use Pure Fiji products and they are really nice. The price for standard massage is around $68 AUD for an hr which is fair.

Activities- We went sailing which was free and canoeing which was also free. We bought banana boat ride and jet ski ride for my hubby. Both very fun. Everything was working and was available the whole time we were there.

Pools- My 4 yr old loved the round pool ! The water was very nice temp and was kid friendly but the adults could swim also as half of it is for kids and half for adults. The only bad thing i can say is that there is no shade :( Infinity pool was good also but u have to watch out for the decking but again it is getting replaced. There is some shade there but rude people do put their stuff on there and just leave.

Voli Voli Cafe and Ice cream tent- Lovely staff!! We only got coffees there and they were decent. Yummy ice cream and frozen yoghurt!

Beaches-There is always one side that is windy. First 3 days of our 7 day stay south beach was the go but North beach from then on! I love the North Beach and think its beautiful. Plenty lovely hut things with beach chairs and water temp was about 30 degrees. Snorkeling is much better on this side also. It was just at our door step. Def spend your time here.

For our whole stay we had a great time and the kids loved it.There was only one problem we had and that was our anniversary night. I booked a special table for us to celebrate 5 yr anniversary but didn't want to eat a la carte but buffet. We were told that was all fine and that we will also be receiving a complimentary cake. I confirmed this with staff 3 times. When we arrived for our dinner we were seated at a lovely table outside and were given a la carte menu. We told the waiter we were having buffet. He looked really confused and then just said go and help your self and then absolutely ignored us the whole time! We felt like we were not allowed to sit there and felt so uncomfortable and rushed our dinner to get out of there and we never received our cake. I was on the edge of tears so my hubby and i decided to go to reception and tell them. The minute they heard what has happened they couldn't stop apologizing. The actual waiter approached me later that evening also apologizing. The next morning on the way to breaky i had a manager who was on our way to our bure also stop us and apologize and ask if they could make it up to us. They also sent a big fruit platter to our room and made a reservation for a nice table that night and gave us a really nice cake and bottle of wine. So even though someone made a mistake they couldn't be more sorry and really tried to make up for it which was appreciated.

My parents loved this trip and they want to come back again and so do we! Overall we had the best time and i think the staff is really lovely minus the small hiccup. If you are not born with a silver spoon i think this place is for you. Its great for family's as Fiji people loveeee kids!! Sure there is maintenance issues but they are working on them. Food is really not as bad a some people say. You are on an island and it is harder to get larger variety then on mainland. I am already planning our next trip and can't wait! I hope this helps some people as i have really been honest with this review.

Room Tip: Definitely choose Deluxe Ocean view room as its really lovely and spacious. They are located on 400...
26 Thank tina83Vic
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

This review is a hard one to write because I really wanted to love everything about this holiday and went with an open mind and willingness to accept 'Fiji time'.  The island is beautiful but the resort is in a poor state.  By Australian standards no more than 3 star ... If that, but we paid 5 star prices.

The public areas of the resort are in poor condition.  The Decking in particular is in very bad condition, I would consider it dangerous.  Boards are rotten, sticking up in places (tripping hazards), nails sticking up, cracked through etc,  we tripped and saw another fall and face plant luckily into the sand. Woven outdoor chairs are falling apart.  In the restaurant areas tiles are cracked and missing, shutters broken, furniture filthy and stained.  This is more an issue of maintenance than cyclone damage.

The room was nice enough and the outdoor shower a nice novelty.  However, we and other guests had problems with mainly Cold showers and at times scalding hot.  A tip is the only way we could get hot water was to have the hot water running in the hand badin inside while you showered. That seemed to help. The hair dryer in our room was broken and our safe broke twice which was an inconvenience.

Drinks service was poor with drinks often forgotten.  Cocktails were mixed so badly we were not able to drink them.  The pineapple slushies were a blessing on hot humid days and suggest you choose those over a cocktail.

Activities were often cancelled or delivered with a lack of enthusiasm.

The food was often cold and a bit hit and miss.  Certainly not fine restaurant quality. We both got ill - was it the food ?.  If it happens to you go to the medical clinic for immodium etc. its not expensive and the nurse is nice. Best tip is to order direct from the kitchen in the buffet area to get something hot.  Al a carte was not much better and offered little for vegetarians.   Flies were everywhere in the restaurant, it was nothing to have a dozen circling our table.

On the positive, the day spa was reasonably priced by Australian standards, beautifully presented, professionally managed and treatments well delivered.

The staff at the mimi room did a great job with the kids and at a one adult to one child ratio which was awesome.  They didn't just sit in the room they took them for walks, to the kids club to play and to the beach to build sandcastles. We were very impressed.

The Fijians are as a whole friendly, especially the women.  We did come across a few less than friendly male staff members who seemed lazy (fiji time?) and would chatter away in their own language.

There was Entertainment daily but it was on too late for our family with young children to enjoy (9pm) which we thought was strange given the family focus. We missed Polynesian dance night and were disappointed it was only on once a week.

The island was so small you could find a beach protected from the wind.  We had fun exploring the coral and looking for hermit crabs on the beach.  The only problem was you couldn't use snorkel equipment after 4.30 and other marine hire had restrictions eg when you could use the catamaran.

There was a guy singing with his guitar some  mornings at the breakfast buffet which was nice.

This was our first trip to Fiji so we left all the transfer arrangements to our travel agent.  Some advice they failed to give us is if you arrive in too late for the ferry, overnight in port denaru instead of taking the private taxi.  It would be cheaper, safer and far more pleasant.  Our  private taxi transfer was on a bad day with rain and rough seas.  Our daughter vomited (which they were not prepared for) and I only just made it.  It was an hour trip and we were thrown about on the tiny 6 seater boat.  I was genuinely worried about being flung overboard and held on for dear life, so my hands ached for an hour afterwards.

We did the hand line fishing trip.  Sea Fiji fishing trip staff were more interested in their own fishing experience than the guests.  They provided no advice until the end of the trip on how deep to drop our lines in order to catch fish.  At the end of the trip they dropped us off and said thanks for the fish and kept them all not allowing us to have them cooked by the resort chef for dinner as you would expect.

Hair braiding at the backpackers cost us twice what it would have been at the resort - stay away and go to the spa unless you are willing to barter and haggle them down.

Would we go back... No.  But if it was fully renovated, ran by an experienced chain, had a menu overhaul with experienced chefs and a fabulous deal I might consider it.

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank oz_honeymooners09
New Zealand
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at Mana Island last July school holidays for 7 nights in an oceanfront villa. We loved our stay here and would definately return. The beach is absolutely beautiful and there are plenty of activities to keep the children busy. We played tennis every morning before heading out for a snorkel and swim, then spent the afternoon relaxing by the pool area. The staff are friendly and we couldn't fault the food. The only negative would be parts of the resort were getting a little tired and the maintenance to pathways/ main public areas and tennis courts was poor. Otherwise a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank chittyNewZealand
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Mana island is truly one of the most beautiful and stunning islands in the pacific. We loved our stay on the island and the reef is incredible, however the resort itself is rather disappointing. Most disappointing is the food - if you generally have a healthy diet and enjoy good food, you will be disappointed - it is expensive and awful, I would consider McDonald's offer higher quality and healthier food. We stayed in an ocean view room- the room itself was fine, however the bathroom is in desperate need of an upgrade and the decking around the resort is a worry. However, in saying that we loved our time at mana and the staff were wonderful - it'd be hard to recommend the resort due to the price and awful food - however the island is a must see, if you're a young couple and not fussy I'd just stay at the backpackers on the island for a couple of nights instead.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank Nickow5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Bounty Island Resort
Bounty Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Bounty Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Matamanoa Island Resort
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,640 reviews
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!