“Love this place!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mana Lagoon Backpackers
Swindon
“Love this place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Basic accommodation and many little things that could be improved- but I had the best time here. The people are wonderful, I made so many friends and they organized activities most nights, and organized a trip to Castaway Island for us. Did my PADI course with the diving instructor who was fantastic. Did not want to leave!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manalagoon, Front Office Manager at Mana Lagoon Backpackers, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
thank you, miss you already ..++++ yeah

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights in March. We got a good deal from one of the agents in Nadi paying F$600, which was 6 nights for the price of 4. This includes private room for me and my boyfriend and all meals.

The crowd there were mainly in their early 20s so the constant loud party nights got a bit too much for us at times (we're both 32) and sleeping at times wasn't the easiest. This wasn't helped by the fact that the fan in our room only lasted till about 1am (when we were told power would last until sunrise) so it got very hot in the room. There were also a few small gaps in the walls so we were joined by lots of mozies each night :-(

On the plus side however the staff were generally helpful (esp Bosko) and food mostly pretty good (if a little small on portion size). The beach and island itself had nice spots especially when the tide was high however it was by no means the most beautiful I've seen.

At the end of the it wasn't a bad deal and we did enjoy our time there however I don't think we'd be in a big rush to get back there. The accommodation was basic but fine (we're used budget places) but the mozies and lack of a fan really did make it difficult to sleep.

I have a feeling a lot of places on the Yasawas and Mamanucas are popular with the "round the world trip" crowd of young 20 somethings on gap years looking to party and get a tan, and if that's what you're looking for Mana Lagoon would probably suit you well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on mana island to a warm welcome and song from Bosko and the other staff of mana lagoon backpackers. After this we were shown to our dorm which although basic was very average for backpacker quality. The price included three meals a day which were typical Fijian dishes and very tasty.
We stayed in the island for four days which included a day trip to castaway island. The island itself is incredible but the people of mana lagoon make this place. It was one big happy family which involved many locals from the island and every night consisted of fun and games, headed by Bosko. We were also able to spend the afternoon one day at the local school and had the best time.
A big bula vinaka to Bosko and the mana lagoon staff.
Love Scott and Beccie from England

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Outstanding Scuba; fantastic snorkeling; brilliant day trips to Castaway Island; and the Sand Island; volleyball; chilling in some sea-side hammocks; best sunset of my life on Sunset beach.

Great camaraderie with true Fiji welcome song and farewell by all the hosts and backpackers.

Bula - thank you Mana Lagoon!!!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manalagoon, Front Office Manager at Mana Lagoon Backpackers, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you ... we are the true no frils Fijian experience
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at this backpackers a few months ago and was really disappointed. I was told before going out that the price included free kayak use as well as free snorkelling gear. When I got out to the island I found out they don't even have a kayak and when I went to use the snorkelling gear they charged me. I am used to staying in very basic accommodation and can sleep almost anywhere but the beds in this place were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. 2 of the 5 days I stayed on this island I was sick from food poisoning and 2 other people got sick as well. The only nice thing I can really say about the place is that they have a nice beach but there are plenty of better options as far as accommodation goes with just as nice of a beach in Fiji. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay at the other backpacker next door to here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris S

Travelers are raving about these Mana Island hotels

Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I like Mana Lagoon, I've stayed Fiji for 17 days, not many places. Bosco is the most charming leader I've ever met in Fiji. He takes good care for everyone, a welcome song and farewell songs are important here. He tries to remember everyone's name and nationality. I saw many times he asked people how were their rooms or how were their sleep...etc. Also he makes all the existing guests to introduce themselves to all the new coming people, which makes you be able to involve to this big family very soon.
Mana Lagoon is a very budget backpacker, only cold water shower here, there is no 24hrs electricity, they only run the generator at night, however you may find the same situation in Taveuni or many other small island in Fiji. These are not such big problems, if it's a problem for you, you should only book fancy resorts in Fiji to avoid it.
I like Mana Lagoon staff as well, there are some reviews say the staff didn't care about complaints, which is not true. Manasi is a good boy and a right person to talk to, he listens to your problems and solves the problem for you, He is reliable.
I like this place and people here, there is a unique atmosphere which is hard to be found in other place. Please keep them and don't change.
However, please improve your food and beverage. I'm not talking about the menu or portion, as long as I have something to eat, I don't mind. But while my stay, there were 3 boys sick on the bed, I was sick on the 3rd day, I threw up all the juice and water, I couldn't eat for whole day, and went to toilet many times, I had fever twice, was sweating and felt very cold. I found a girl next to my room sick as well, which means there were at least 5 people sick at the same time. And we were told there was virus going around, we just couldn't figure the reason out of what making us sick. While I came back to the main island Bamboo backpacker, I met another girl who stayed in Mana lagoon as well, she left on the 2nd day of my stay and she said there were another 4 boys sick as well during her stay. She went to the Hospital straight away when she arrived Nadi, and had blood test and Intravenous injection, after examination, she was told by the Hospital that was food poison! The next day the other 2 boys came back from Mana island and said the other sick boy collapsed when the boat arrived Nadi. During the week, there were at least 9 people got food poisoned.
I love Mana, I write this review is not to slap you, not a hit, not a revenge, not a complain...(ok, maybe it is.) My point is I want you to improve, and I want you to be better, then I hope in the future when people go there can have a complete wonderful experience.
Bosco, I understand you have a very tight budget on food, but the chicken shouldn't be cooked as medium well, it's not beef steak, we don't need a medium well chicken. and I still love you.

Room Tip: If you don't like the food here, go to Rutu Kini lodge next door, they have some food.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent 4 nights in Mana Lagoon, which turned out to be one of the best 4 days ever!
The atmosphere was brilliant, day and evening activities were organised regularly. The staff was nice and welcoming and really made us feel like a part of the family.
It's a perfect place for backpackers on a budged, the accommodation as well as the food is basic, but it's exactly what you pay for.
Overall we had a great experience and we wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: There are no shops or ATMs on the island, so remember to bring snack, drinks, water etc. with you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manalagoon, Front Office Manager at Mana Lagoon Backpackers, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
bosco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,007 reviews
Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Mana Lagoon Backpackers? Share your experiences!