“This paradise resort is what you need to relax and unplug.”

Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort
Dallas, Texas
“This paradise resort is what you need to relax and unplug.”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed at 2 places while in Fiji. The Hilton in Nadi and Ratu Kini Dive Resort on Mana Island. I would take the Ratu Kini Dive Resort over the Hilton every time.

I'm sure some guests would rather have the comforts of the Hilton with their stores, and spa, and deep bath tubs. I get that.

But the Fiji Island experience isn't about excess and over consumption. It's about getting away from it.

You will be a welcome guest staying in huts that dot the area around with the homes of the local islanders. You will live among the wonderful people of Mana Island. At the resorts dining area you will meet other guests from around the world and enjoy delicious meals. You can waste the day away sunbathing, or swimming. Take a hike on the local trails. Or do something more adventurous like water skiing or scuba diving.

Leave your phone and computer at home and come to Mana Island. Stay at Ratu Kini's Resort. You'll feel like the luckiest person on the planet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Yachtclub5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We were on Mana Island in December for 7 days, staying in the dorm rooms.

The first thing to say is how insanely helpful some of the staff were - starting with the manager Trevor. He went completely out of his way to say hello, make sure everything was okay, have a laugh with us, listen to everything and anything we had to say and always made sure we were happy. Not only this, but he was also managing to run the whole of the Ratu Kini resort smoothly (not easy when some people/staff thought it was permanently "Fiji Time"). I cannot rate him highly enough, he made our trip fantastic! Another person who worked so, so hard and never stopped smiling and being positive was Aoibhe, she did the work of about 5 people all day long. She was always available if we needed her and was an excellent guide to all the activities on the island and anything else we needed.

Other people that made our trip were Nemoah (who could dive, snorkel, climb/cut coconut trees, dance, fire-dance, fish, sing, play ping-pong and many other things in-between), Shirley and Pete the dive staff who gave us a great diving experience (calming all our fears about diving and guiding us every step of the way) and last but not least the kitchen staff who cooked great meals and even grilled the fish I caught in the ocean.

In terms of the facilities, the dorm was fine. It has fans (which I heard some of the islands don't have), so it got kind of hot at night but it was okay. The beds were changed daily and were clean and tidy. They don't have drinking water so you either have to buy their (slightly expensive) bottled water or they will kindly get some cheaper water from the main island for you if you pay them. The food prices are around 20-25FJ$ generally, pricier than the mainline but not bad at all. Internet is 20FJ$ a day (WIFI) but some people had trouble connecting - we used it as a good time to disconnect from the outside world, so we just relaxed. The boat to and from the island is 140FJ$ return - pricey but the cheapest option.

The hostel does nightly activities and Trevor and Aoibhe were always there to make sure they were organized and loads of fun (limbo and musical chairs was hilarious!). They've also got fire-dancing and other things. The Mana Island Spa and Resort next door (including SeaFiji) have other activities (wakeboarding, SUP etc.) but are extremely rude and unwelcoming to the Ratu Kini guests - they won't let you into their resort and I heard some people even had trouble trying to walk down the beach next to their resort.

The island itself is wonderful. The weather was incredible and sea was always warm. We walked around the whole island in 2 1/2 hours and it was amazing, crystal clear waters, fish everywhere and perfect beaches.

Ratu Kini Backpackers dorm rooms are a complete bargain. Unfortunately Trevor the manager and his wife have now left, if he was still in charge I would go back there in a heartbeat. We were incredibly pleased with our stay on the island, we met some great people and it was the best 7 days of our round the world traveling trip so far.

Room Tip: Dorms have fans, clean and tidy though.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank titaniumapple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2013

A beautiful island, somewhat out of the way to get to and from, but lovely and relaxing with good diving.

We stayed in one of the beachfront villas. The accommodation is basic (not surprising considering the cyclones, and probably not best to travel here during cyclone season) but clean. We had amazing weather the whole time. Big bathroom and great aircon.

People are lovely. Food is nice.

Room Tip: The beachfront villas are beautiful if you don't mind spending a little more cash.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

The resort offers dormitory accommodation and beachside rooms with ceiling fans and aircon. There are two rooms sharing a cottage. The rooms are small but the bathrooms are huge!

One can opt for a meal plan that includes 3 meals per day or order a la carte. The meals are tasty and the portions are big.

The dive shop is well-managed and there are some good diving nearby.

For boat transfers going to the Yasawas, one needs to be dropped off at Beachcomber Island. When doing this, make sure that the resort has contacted the Yasawa Flyer beforehand so that the catamaran to the Yasawas will stop at Beachcomber to pick you up.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed at the resort on Mana island but ate most of the time at Ratu Kini,s. Compared to the resort the meals were cheap and tasted great with plenty on the plate. My family tried a lot of meals and were not disappointed with any. For years now the meals have been well below average at the resort but the prices still are going up. The dining area is excellent, open air and a million dollar view, the staff are always very friendly and helpful, as with all Fijians.
The bar is cheap and there is a shop where items can be brought. Dive shop for the adventurous and also many trips on offer. Although we have never stayed there it seems fairly clean and handy to other islands, I respect other peoples views of this backpackers but can with honesty the meals are very good value, give it a go.

Room Tip: the new cabins look good, and has air con.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Markbull
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I recently got back from visiting Ratu Kinis dive resort on Mana island.

I have to say it was a mixed bag, and there were more negative comments than positive on the whole.

The room was a garden view, which equated to a walk through the local village to a room which was not clean and had no hot water. The price of this room, I though was expensive for what you got; and after staying at resorts which were cheaper in the Yasawarra's and far far better, its a raw deal.

The facilities were pretty shabby, and we had some bad experiences with the staff. The main issue was that we were almost completely pushed out of the way for a large group which came 2 nights into out 4 night stay. We even got asked to come outside and clap for this group arriving on the island!!. The larger group got a better meal plan than alot of the guests, which left a rather sore taste in the mouth and left us feeling completely unwelcome.

When it came to activities they basically had a few flat balls, and broken badminton kit. We had a bonfire one night, which they put so much fuel on, my girlfriend went to bed feeling dizzy. They then pretty much told us to go and sit around it.......it was just so crap!.

It was overpriced in my opinion, had poor facilities and they really didn't make you feel like welcome guests. I think if I stayed here for the rest of the trip I would have hated it. Thankfully we went to another island in the Yassawarras which just completely blew this out of the water.

I would recommend staying in the resort here instead. It is more expensive but is very very nice.

Room Tip: Front beach bungalows are nicer for a couple
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Mana Island hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just stayed for 3 nights at Ratu Kini's backpackers. I was there for a wedding in the neighbouring resort. So I spent little time in the actual backpackers facility and I didn't have much contact with staff. They all seemed nice and friendly enough though. I stayed in the beachfront cottage #2 and for $175AUD a night the room was average at best! For the three days that we were there the room was not cleaned once and being right on the beach a sweep wouldn't go astray. The bathroom was only just clean, with hair still clogging the shower drain and the water was a bit hit and miss, half the time there was none. All of that I don't mind, it comes with being a backpacker but BUDBUGS!! This I cannot handle.

At first I thought it was just mosquitos as our door was open quite a lot and they love me but after further thought it was definitely bedbugs. I have travelled quite extensively and mostly on a backpackers budget so I'm quite used to budget conditions and have myself experienced bedbugs and met many other backpackers who have experienced them. There is definitely a difference between bedbugs and mosquito bites. I didn't think to complain because at the time I wasn't sure if it was bedbugs or me just being paranoid so not really sure how they would have reacted. Just be aware that this seems to be a common problem with Ratu Kini's and to think over whether you want to risk the serious annoyance on your holiday of getting bedbugs!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RhaniRhani
rtk1872, Owner at Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Bed bugs are carried by travelers and at times they attack unexpectedly and it further spread if we try to relocate them to other rooms. Right now we have no bed bugs issues after fumigation and treatment, until the next traveler brings it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mana Island
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki ...
#2 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)

Been to Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!