“Mid-range option in Mana Island, good diving ”

Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

The resort offers dormitory accommodation and beachside rooms with ceiling fans and aircon. There are two rooms sharing a cottage. The rooms are small but the bathrooms are huge!

One can opt for a meal plan that includes 3 meals per day or order a la carte. The meals are tasty and the portions are big.

The dive shop is well-managed and there are some good diving nearby.

For boat transfers going to the Yasawas, one needs to be dropped off at Beachcomber Island. When doing this, make sure that the resort has contacted the Yasawa Flyer beforehand so that the catamaran to the Yasawas will stop at Beachcomber to pick you up.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed at the resort on Mana island but ate most of the time at Ratu Kini,s. Compared to the resort the meals were cheap and tasted great with plenty on the plate. My family tried a lot of meals and were not disappointed with any. For years now the meals have been well below average at the resort but the prices still are going up. The dining area is excellent, open air and a million dollar view, the staff are always very friendly and helpful, as with all Fijians.
The bar is cheap and there is a shop where items can be brought. Dive shop for the adventurous and also many trips on offer. Although we have never stayed there it seems fairly clean and handy to other islands, I respect other peoples views of this backpackers but can with honesty the meals are very good value, give it a go.

Room Tip: the new cabins look good, and has air con.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Markbull
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I recently got back from visiting Ratu Kinis dive resort on Mana island.

I have to say it was a mixed bag, and there were more negative comments than positive on the whole.

The room was a garden view, which equated to a walk through the local village to a room which was not clean and had no hot water. The price of this room, I though was expensive for what you got; and after staying at resorts which were cheaper in the Yasawarra's and far far better, its a raw deal.

The facilities were pretty shabby, and we had some bad experiences with the staff. The main issue was that we were almost completely pushed out of the way for a large group which came 2 nights into out 4 night stay. We even got asked to come outside and clap for this group arriving on the island!!. The larger group got a better meal plan than alot of the guests, which left a rather sore taste in the mouth and left us feeling completely unwelcome.

When it came to activities they basically had a few flat balls, and broken badminton kit. We had a bonfire one night, which they put so much fuel on, my girlfriend went to bed feeling dizzy. They then pretty much told us to go and sit around it.......it was just so crap!.

It was overpriced in my opinion, had poor facilities and they really didn't make you feel like welcome guests. I think if I stayed here for the rest of the trip I would have hated it. Thankfully we went to another island in the Yassawarras which just completely blew this out of the water.

I would recommend staying in the resort here instead. It is more expensive but is very very nice.

Room Tip: Front beach bungalows are nicer for a couple
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just stayed for 3 nights at Ratu Kini's backpackers. I was there for a wedding in the neighbouring resort. So I spent little time in the actual backpackers facility and I didn't have much contact with staff. They all seemed nice and friendly enough though. I stayed in the beachfront cottage #2 and for $175AUD a night the room was average at best! For the three days that we were there the room was not cleaned once and being right on the beach a sweep wouldn't go astray. The bathroom was only just clean, with hair still clogging the shower drain and the water was a bit hit and miss, half the time there was none. All of that I don't mind, it comes with being a backpacker but BUDBUGS!! This I cannot handle.

At first I thought it was just mosquitos as our door was open quite a lot and they love me but after further thought it was definitely bedbugs. I have travelled quite extensively and mostly on a backpackers budget so I'm quite used to budget conditions and have myself experienced bedbugs and met many other backpackers who have experienced them. There is definitely a difference between bedbugs and mosquito bites. I didn't think to complain because at the time I wasn't sure if it was bedbugs or me just being paranoid so not really sure how they would have reacted. Just be aware that this seems to be a common problem with Ratu Kini's and to think over whether you want to risk the serious annoyance on your holiday of getting bedbugs!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RhaniRhani
rtk1872, Owner at Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Bed bugs are carried by travelers and at times they attack unexpectedly and it further spread if we try to relocate them to other rooms. Right now we have no bed bugs issues after fumigation and treatment, until the next traveler brings it.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Ratu Kini's, living in a beachfront cottage and taking AOWD certificate at the dive center. The transfer from the mainline by boat was smooth and sceenic, and uppon arrival we were reasonably quickly guided to our cottage. This had an absolutely stunning view over the ocean, laying directly on the beach. The cottage itself was however a sad storry; a basic double bed with a fan and a few bed bugs, and a large bathroom with only cold water. Furthermore the room was located in a double bungalow with a paper thin wall seperating it from the other room.
The meal plan was good value, but no exciting experience.
Service was not overwelming, although not catastrophic either for Fiji standards.

The divecenter on the other hand was an excellent experience, with skilled overseas instructors and well maintained equipment. The dive sites we visited were beautiful, with all the coral and fish one could hope for. The wreck site, albeit a bit away from everything else, was also excellent, with much more marine life than expected.

Room Tip: The dorm is decent, but the private cottages are good value if you are traveling as a couple.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We arrived at Ratu Kini to be greeted by the most friendly guy we'd ever met, Sam. he gave us the rundown of what happens at Ratu Kini and what the island has to offer. The accommodation was more than we expected. We stayed in the beach front cabins and it was post card perfect! right on the beach with a hammock at your front door, fridge and aircon to keep everything cool and comfortable. on our second night the local primary school kids came to sing us songs whilst we ate dinner. All the staff were always smiling and happy to help in anyway. the diving was AWESOME!! One of the greatest parts was just meeting everyone from different countries and exchanging stories over a cold bevy! we also stayed at the Mana Island Resort & Spa for a wedding in-between our stay for 2 nights and just couldn't wait to get back!! it just didn't have the relaxed atmosphere that Ratu Kini offers a couple of the other guests even came back with us to chill out around Ratu Kini. The Manager and his wife are lovely people and were always waving and stopping for a chat on the way past our room. We are now expert mudcrab eaters after being shown by them that all the best meat was in the bits we discarded lol Staff at the PADI dive centre were awesome also. everything's at Ratu Kini was just so laid back and EXACTLY the way I imagined Fiji to be. Can't wait to go back! I took one photo whilst I was there that I have attached and then I just turned all my devices off and chilled out BIG TIME!! This is the view you'll get whilst having a drink at the bar/restaurant at Ratu Kini :-)))))) Stuey & Amy

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank StueyVodden
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stay with Ratu Kini's is great, the people are real friendly and happy to help you in any way with every question. Mana island is a "Bounty Island", for a good walk, snorkel, relaxing and great for diving with to awsome crew Pete, Shirley, Oliver and Yumi. Thank you for all the fun and good laughs we had with you. We really liked the stay and wished we'd could have stayed longer. We will come back to Ratu Kini's Dive Resort.
Also big thanks to the rest of the crew of Ratu Kini's...... :).
If you like a nice and friendly and friendly crew, good food, nice tropical islands, snorkling and very very good diving........GO TO Ratu Kini's Dive Resort on Mana island Fiji and experience it for yourselves.
See you next year. Wietze and Paul from Holland on Fiji Time

Mana Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Mana Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Beachcomber Island Resort
Beachcomber Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Beachcomber Island

Been to Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!