Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort
$870
  • Breakfast included
Mana Island Resort(Mana Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsamazing divinggotham citybasic accommodationbeach frontmain islandfishlocal staffevening entertainmentoctopusback packersisland hoppingreef sharksbeautiful islandmarine lifeother islandssunset beachlaid back
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Like many others we didn't stay here, but we did eat here often and dived through the school here. We found the food good and reasonable, and the beer cheap. We found the service excellent and friendly. The hair braiding was less than half the price of Mana Resort and the ladies so friendly.
We really enjoyed the dive school here - we were on limited time due to young children and they went out of their way to cater to us, and provided a great relaxed safe dive environment for us. Even going so far as to set up our gear for us to save time.
Thanks guys!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jo9999
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I didn't plan on staying here but after the Nadi floods derailed my plans, I ended up here for 3 nights in the beginning of April. Overall, the situation at Ratu Kini's was probably very different because a number of people had been 'stranded' on Mana due to the tropical depression or whatever (read: big storm). I stayed in the big dorm with 8 people tops at any one night. The water system was out so there was no running water/shower and we relied on the rainwater. Electricity was only between 1800-0600. The food appeared good but as a vegetarian, it wasn't the best - but they really tried to cater to that, and I appreciate that. This is probably the best place for some cheap diving - especially if you're looking towards getting certified.
I spent most of my time diving and studying for my Advanced Open Water course which worked out since none of the other backpackers were really very friendly, which I didn't understand. However, the dive staff were always really nice folks to talk to; the other staff like Sam, are also nice guys. The beer is cheap and yes, a lot of people from the other resort came in but because of a serious shortage of food, they were not able to be fed and we definitely didn't have a menu available. You just ate what you were given, like it or not :)
I would highly recommend taking a walk out to Sunset Beach. I didn't go for sunset but I imagine the sunset there would be absolutely breathtaking - even in the day, it's stunning. It's also possible to walk around the island back from Sunset Beach to Ratu Kini's - but ONLY at low-tide, with shoes, and bring lots of sunscreen + water. It's quite a nice walk, if you're up for a slightly rocky/slippery trek around.

Room Tip: If travelling in a group, it might be best to try to get the private rooms on the side.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AyakaFaithS
Reviewed April 26, 2012

A great location, with some amazing views, however I found the resort to be dirty. Poor privacy in some of the toilets.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ant6974
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed here for a couple nights at the end of my Fiji trip and had a really nice time despite departing Octopus resort where I met a lot of great friends. When I first showed up I was a bit taken back by the fact the resort next door keeps up a giant fence with barbed wire and a guard, it looks tacky and takes away from the whole Fiji experience but is no fault of Ratu Kini. This is definitely a backpacker resort and does not have all the fancy bells and whistles that some of the others do but it's a cheerful place and can accomidate your average backpacker just fine.

I stayed in a dorm which had about 16 to 20 beds but only about 8 people were staying there at the time. The bathrooms were average but were clean and I didn't have any issues with the showers. The provided meals were of average quality but they also had a menu which you could order off of, I had the "ika vaka lolo" ... a really nice fish dish with cocoanut milk and veggies.

At night there was some Fijian dancers including a fire dancer and one night was the England vs. France RWC match on TV. My favorite part was the bar which served 750ml Fiji Bitters for only $5 or $6 during happy hour!!! :) I also met a nice group of people to hang out with, including the awesome dive staff who were really great guys. A couple of them even stayed up with us at night, had some drinks and really helped make a little party. I really wanted to do the introduction to SCUBA course but had an infection on my foot which the dive team helped clean up. I really want to come back and get my certification from these guys, after talking about it with them I really trust their skills and the price is super affordable.

Overall I had a really nice time and enjoyed myself at Ratu Kini. The only bad thing I can think of was the fence from the other resort and when you walk down the beach in front of the Fijian villiage it's pretty dirty and not clean like in front of the resort. For the price I will try to come back in the near future and do my dive course. THANKS RATU KINI!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Men watch you through the windows when you shower, use the toilets, and change. This was bar none the most terrible place I have ever stayed. I spent 2 weeks backpacking around Fiji and had a wonderful time everywhere until ratu kini. Men from the village around the dorm room (I stayed in the 16 bed) would watch the girls in the dorms shower, use the toilets, and change. There are no curtains on the windows on that look into the showers and bathrooms, and the windows are only about 5 feet off the ground. When we reported this to the extremely rude reception staff they made us wait for 2 hours while they 'contacted the manager' over the phone who we never got to talk to and who apparently said we could not be refunded for our last night so we could leave early. We then spoke to a kitchen staff member who claimed to be the manager on duty and all he said was that it is a 'baseless issue' and is 'not a problem'. Are you kidding me!!!!????!!!! He then went on to say that we could not be refunded even partially, and that we could not even change rooms. None of them cared at all!!!!!!!!! He then said that if there had been a 'real issue' like if something had been stolen we could have been refunded. My friend and I ended up leaving that day anyways without the refund because of the disgusting, horrible, and unsafe violation. Upon speaking to other girls in the dorms, we discovered that apparently this had happened many times.

And that food is not that good!!! Every other backpackers I stayed at had better.

Stay at Sereana's instead!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose one at Ratu Kini.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Emily C
rtk1872, Owner at Ratu Kini's Backpackers and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

We have over 30 guests that come and go and at the same time, and this is a very isolated case, or else we would have more than one person complaining in the same period. But we acknowledge the complain all the same and made sure that no men was around watching guests use the private facilities. The negativity is quiet obvious after that , with food etc..
Generally guest have good time.
Thanks