“Beautiful Lomani, a place to relax and be spoilt”

Lomani Island Resort
Southport, Australia
“Beautiful Lomani, a place to relax and be spoilt”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed a week in this wonderful place in November 2012. The experience was so far above our expectations mainly because of the efforts of the staff and activities available. Our beachfront bure with its outside shower and a view of the water looking across the bay was large and beautifully appointed. Even a beach bag is provided. We snorkelled on a variety of reefs teeming with fish and coral. Being surrounded by a cloud of bright fish, going on Dolphin Safaris, seeing the waves on Cloudbreak were all part of everyday activites on Lomani. The hardest part of my day was deciding whether to have Lobster or crab for dinner. I loved the fresh seafood, sitting under the trees on the beach having lunch and dinner. The staff are a very special part of lomani you are welcomed by them in song and invited to be part of the 'family' for the time you are with them. We will go back

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at Lomani for 4 days for our Honeymoon during Christmas. Initially while making a booking I was reluctant to book more nights at Lomani and booked half of my stay at Hilton on the mainland. But after spending 4 days in lomani I didn't want to leave. It was a great experience. We stayed in a Ocean front bure which was lovely. The resort was well maintained and clean and it was beautiful in all sense. I specially loved the staff of lomani who gave extra attention to all guests..The daily snorkel trips were great and the guide made sure we visited different locations every day. I would highly recommend this resort and I would come back again to the same place for a longer stay this time..

Sydney
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here on a last minute plan to go away.
Prices were high but we liked the sound of a child free resort.
Staff are beautiful and service here is excellent.
Rooms are old and are in desperate need of a complete refurbish.
The food is ok.
If you are looking for 5 star this is not the place but if you are wanting a very relaxed holiday with friendly staff in a beautiful location this is your place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Lomani has put forth great effort to be an excellent resort and it shows in everything they do. Fiji was hit with a cyclone in Dec 2012 and the damage was evident everywhere we went but Lomani was by far the nicest place we saw in our travels. Lomani staff worked tirelessly to restore the natural beauty of the area and by January 2013 the place was recovering beautifully!
Our Bure was very clean and modern. The staff were all prompt and seemed genuinely friendly and happy to serve. The food was always good and although more expensive than the few other places on the island, Lomani had better quality and a nice variety. Lomani's beach and pool areas were gorgeous and arguably the best on the island. Lomani includes many free activities daily that will cost you extra elsewhere. I could go on and on but won't!

1 Thank Trippytoad
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We just returned from a week at Lomani yesterday and it was a truly wonderful holiday. Despite the recent major cyclone causing many of the trees to drop their foliage and destroying all the flowers the resort is absolutely spectacular! From the beautiful main area (foyer, restaurant, bar etc) you look out over the most magnificent water you have ever seen. The pool is gorgeous with plenty of cabanas/banana lounges for everyone to be comfortable and a second to none view of the water.

The rooms were a highlight. We were in beachfront bure 20 which was just absolutely spectacular with a wonderful balcony overlooking the beach, beautiful outdoor shower off an immaculate bathroom, an ENORMOUS bed and all the little extras like bathrobes, nice toiletries, plenty of tea/coffee/water and a lovely lounge area.

We had the meal plan ($230FJ per day for us both) which was quite good value - I'd say we made the money back almost every day though my mum who was with us thought as she has a relatively small appetite that the a la carte might have been better for her - you really need to have at least one two or three course meal a day to make up the cash - which my husband and I did not a problem with! The food itself is really good (though sadly we didn't have lobster the week we were there). I wouldn't say it was outstanding but it was consistently very nice and husband and I didn't have a single dish we weren't happy with ourselves though consistency can be a minor issue. For example, a member of our group ordered the roast beef salad one day and it was exactly that - roast beef salad and it was very much enjoyed however on ordering it a second time it was a very lightly seared steak salad which was far too rare too eat (and I like meat medium rare). This was a very isolated experience though.

My highlight dishes were the thai prawn/squid salad, chicken parmigiana with spaghetti, chicken curry, quesadillas and surf and turf. Breakfast was good but I'm not a huge brekky person so probably not really well placed to comment. The service at all the meals was extremely friendly and professional - we were in a group of four across three rooms and the staff always knew who was who, which room they were in and which room to bill orders to - which is no mean feat given the range of things ordered etc.

The bar service was generally really good (especially Nanise who is just a lovely person and so helpful) however the poolside service could be hit and miss. Sometimes someone would come around to see if people wanted drinks and sometimes you would have to either flag down a waiter returning from a room service delivery or get out of the pool and go looking. The staff are very busy though I guess it is to be expected. All of the cocktails we had were lovely though they can be pricey ($FJ35 for a Long Island Iced tea. The winlist is good and not too pricey and the local beers are great - the staff were ribbing me about drinking them out of the Fiji Premium ;)

The activities provided are outstanding. We took the snorkelling trip nearly every day and it was wonderful every day especially the first day at the sand bar which was magic. There are sea lice but that can happen anywhere and certainly no one was badly enough affected to get out of the water! The dolphin safari was fantastic as well - we saw lots of dolphins both out at the surf islands and then again on the way back into the Malolo Lalai. We went glass bottom kayaking which was lovely but sadly the fishing was cancelled due to rough seas. Parasailing around the harbour (organised by Plantation island) was absolutely fantastic - just mind blowingly spectacular - I would recommend it to anyone! I think though it is easier to book directly with Plantation for these activities and cruises etc because times/days etc can change and the Lomani staff are not always made aware of these changes (we booked a Sunset cruise but cancelled because of rain and rebooked for later in the week only to find out that Plantation had stopped running the Friday cruise so we missed out).

We borrowed bikes most days and went for a ride up to Musket Cove and Plantation which was fun and very convenient to have the bikes. We had drinks at Plantation a few times which was nice but wouldn't recommend staying there, especially for couples. There are hundreds of kids of varying levels of behavior ranging from lovely to downright demonic meaning that there is rarely a moment of peace to be had in the main bar/restaurant area and kids also frequent the adults pool which I imagine is quite irritating for couples with no kids. The cocktails up there are great though and Musket Cove has a lovely bar as well (if we had kids we would choose Musket cove over Plantation).

All up we found our holiday in general and Lomani in particular outstanding and the natural beauty of the place is just beyond belief - photos don't do it justice. I can't imagine how it would look if there hadn't been an enormous cyclone just weeks before. We can't wait to return for another wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront bure if you can and take advantage of all the free activities!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Merrin1980
London
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here just before Christmas and our stay was unfortunately cut short by a tropical cyclone. When we arrived at Nadi airport they told us that the islands had been evacuated and therefore we couldn't get to Lomani until it reopened after the cyclone, meaning we had to shell out for an alternative on the mainland which actually ended up with worse damage than Lomani
We did not receive any email or other communication from Lomani either prior to our stay or at the time advising us of the situation, which was very poor. We were basically stranded on arrival.
As we were unable to stay at the resort for the first 3 nights of our visit I expected Lomani or Agoda to refund us for those nights which we had paid up front for but so far this has not happened despite my requests. Instead I have a brief letter which I can present to my travel insurers when I get home and see if I get any joy from them. This is the wrong way round - the resort should have its own insurance for storms and things and therefore refund its customers as these events are a hazard of the hotel business in tropical places..
The resort itself is lovely, we had a beachfront buree with its own garden leading down to the beach. Although it's not private (you do have neighbours) it is very secluded. The sea was lovely and warm and my wife enjoyed a complimentary snorkelling expedition to the reef.
The food was ok but it was annoying to have to put up with Mariah Carey every single time we went to the restaurant. (I don't mean she was there in person, otherwise I could have asked her to shut up, they just seemed to have her festive cd on an endless loop).
For the money we paid I would have liked a bath in the room but aside from that and the problems above we had a lovely 4 night stay and wished it had been 7. The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Go for a beachfront buree
3 Thank Robin T
alaska
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Be prepared; I'm gonna gush: We went here for our 25th anniversary, and had such a wonderful time that we came home and named our boat after this place!

We are not night-life people, so this small, quiet, adults only resort was perfect for us. Plus we got a terrific package deal, and stayed for 2 whole weeks---wow!

The staff were very very friendly, and made us feel welcome. We did our best to learn some Fijian (which I think amused everyone.) We just can't say enough about these lovely people; we will remember them fondly forever.

We had a regular 2nd floor room, which was just right---but the buris looked even better (not available in our package deal.) We did purchase the meal package, and highly recommend it. The food was fabulous, lots of choices, and plentiful! We are very active people...kayaking, diving, bicycling, swimming and walking the circumference of the island nearly every day...so we were happy to be so well-fed. I recommend the table-on-the-beach dinners, very romantic.

We loved all the activities included. The snorkel trips and hand-line fishing were our favorites. We even got to eat the fish we caught, yum! Kayaks, snorkel gear, stand-up paddleboards, bicycles are all available for no extra-charge. The front desk helped arrange dive trips. The swimming pool was great. The toiletries were luxurious.

Such a delightful place, words cannot describe it. The people, the place---gorgeous.
Niisam bula bula vinaka!

Full disclosure: it was hot, muggy hot, not at all like Alaska. And there were lots of mosquitoes, just like in Alaska. They provide DEET, but still thought you'd want to know.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, but buris look fabulous!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island

Been to Lomani Island Resort? Share your experiences!