Lomani Island Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Musket Cove Island Resort & Marina(Malolo Lailai Island)(Great Value!)
$278
$262
  • Beachfront
Plantation Island Resort(Malolo Lailai Island)(Great Value!)
$336
  • Beachfront
Six Senses Fiji(Malolo Island)
$808
$775
  • Breakfast included
Tropica Island Resort(Malolo Island)
$625
$520
  • Beachfront
Likuliku Lagoon Resort(Malolo Island)
$923
$849
  • Pool
Malolo Island Resort(Malolo Island)(Great Value!)
$357
$343
  • Beachfront
Castaway Island Fiji(Castaway Island (Qalito))
$629
$489
Travelocity
$931
$867
  • Breakfast included
Mana Island Resort(Mana Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
Bounty Island Resort(Bounty Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
All reviewshibiscus suitedolphin safarioutdoor showerbeachfront burehard drivekava ceremonyour honeymoondeluxe roomfree laundry servicefree activitiesother guestsdolphin watchingwednesday nightmusket covemeal planown gardenfish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We just returned from a week at Lomani yesterday and it was a truly wonderful holiday. Despite the recent major cyclone causing many of the trees to drop their foliage and destroying all the flowers the resort is absolutely spectacular! From the beautiful main area (foyer, restaurant, bar etc) you look out over the most magnificent water you have ever seen. The pool is gorgeous with plenty of cabanas/banana lounges for everyone to be comfortable and a second to none view of the water.

The rooms were a highlight. We were in beachfront bure 20 which was just absolutely spectacular with a wonderful balcony overlooking the beach, beautiful outdoor shower off an immaculate bathroom, an ENORMOUS bed and all the little extras like bathrobes, nice toiletries, plenty of tea/coffee/water and a lovely lounge area.

We had the meal plan ($230FJ per day for us both) which was quite good value - I'd say we made the money back almost every day though my mum who was with us thought as she has a relatively small appetite that the a la carte might have been better for her - you really need to have at least one two or three course meal a day to make up the cash - which my husband and I did not a problem with! The food itself is really good (though sadly we didn't have lobster the week we were there). I wouldn't say it was outstanding but it was consistently very nice and husband and I didn't have a single dish we weren't happy with ourselves though consistency can be a minor issue. For example, a member of our group ordered the roast beef salad one day and it was exactly that - roast beef salad and it was very much enjoyed however on ordering it a second time it was a very lightly seared steak salad which was far too rare too eat (and I like meat medium rare). This was a very isolated experience though.

My highlight dishes were the thai prawn/squid salad, chicken parmigiana with spaghetti, chicken curry, quesadillas and surf and turf. Breakfast was good but I'm not a huge brekky person so probably not really well placed to comment. The service at all the meals was extremely friendly and professional - we were in a group of four across three rooms and the staff always knew who was who, which room they were in and which room to bill orders to - which is no mean feat given the range of things ordered etc.

The bar service was generally really good (especially Nanise who is just a lovely person and so helpful) however the poolside service could be hit and miss. Sometimes someone would come around to see if people wanted drinks and sometimes you would have to either flag down a waiter returning from a room service delivery or get out of the pool and go looking. The staff are very busy though I guess it is to be expected. All of the cocktails we had were lovely though they can be pricey ($FJ35 for a Long Island Iced tea. The winlist is good and not too pricey and the local beers are great - the staff were ribbing me about drinking them out of the Fiji Premium ;)

The activities provided are outstanding. We took the snorkelling trip nearly every day and it was wonderful every day especially the first day at the sand bar which was magic. There are sea lice but that can happen anywhere and certainly no one was badly enough affected to get out of the water! The dolphin safari was fantastic as well - we saw lots of dolphins both out at the surf islands and then again on the way back into the Malolo Lalai. We went glass bottom kayaking which was lovely but sadly the fishing was cancelled due to rough seas. Parasailing around the harbour (organised by Plantation island) was absolutely fantastic - just mind blowingly spectacular - I would recommend it to anyone! I think though it is easier to book directly with Plantation for these activities and cruises etc because times/days etc can change and the Lomani staff are not always made aware of these changes (we booked a Sunset cruise but cancelled because of rain and rebooked for later in the week only to find out that Plantation had stopped running the Friday cruise so we missed out).

We borrowed bikes most days and went for a ride up to Musket Cove and Plantation which was fun and very convenient to have the bikes. We had drinks at Plantation a few times which was nice but wouldn't recommend staying there, especially for couples. There are hundreds of kids of varying levels of behavior ranging from lovely to downright demonic meaning that there is rarely a moment of peace to be had in the main bar/restaurant area and kids also frequent the adults pool which I imagine is quite irritating for couples with no kids. The cocktails up there are great though and Musket Cove has a lovely bar as well (if we had kids we would choose Musket cove over Plantation).

All up we found our holiday in general and Lomani in particular outstanding and the natural beauty of the place is just beyond belief - photos don't do it justice. I can't imagine how it would look if there hadn't been an enormous cyclone just weeks before. We can't wait to return for another wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront bure if you can and take advantage of all the free activities!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Merrin1980
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here just before Christmas and our stay was unfortunately cut short by a tropical cyclone. When we arrived at Nadi airport they told us that the islands had been evacuated and therefore we couldn't get to Lomani until it reopened after the cyclone, meaning we had to shell out for an alternative on the mainland which actually ended up with worse damage than Lomani
We did not receive any email or other communication from Lomani either prior to our stay or at the time advising us of the situation, which was very poor. We were basically stranded on arrival.
As we were unable to stay at the resort for the first 3 nights of our visit I expected Lomani or Agoda to refund us for those nights which we had paid up front for but so far this has not happened despite my requests. Instead I have a brief letter which I can present to my travel insurers when I get home and see if I get any joy from them. This is the wrong way round - the resort should have its own insurance for storms and things and therefore refund its customers as these events are a hazard of the hotel business in tropical places..
The resort itself is lovely, we had a beachfront buree with its own garden leading down to the beach. Although it's not private (you do have neighbours) it is very secluded. The sea was lovely and warm and my wife enjoyed a complimentary snorkelling expedition to the reef.
The food was ok but it was annoying to have to put up with Mariah Carey every single time we went to the restaurant. (I don't mean she was there in person, otherwise I could have asked her to shut up, they just seemed to have her festive cd on an endless loop).
For the money we paid I would have liked a bath in the room but aside from that and the problems above we had a lovely 4 night stay and wished it had been 7. The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Go for a beachfront buree
3  Thank Robin T
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Be prepared; I'm gonna gush: We went here for our 25th anniversary, and had such a wonderful time that we came home and named our boat after this place!

We are not night-life people, so this small, quiet, adults only resort was perfect for us. Plus we got a terrific package deal, and stayed for 2 whole weeks---wow!

The staff were very very friendly, and made us feel welcome. We did our best to learn some Fijian (which I think amused everyone.) We just can't say enough about these lovely people; we will remember them fondly forever.

We had a regular 2nd floor room, which was just right---but the buris looked even better (not available in our package deal.) We did purchase the meal package, and highly recommend it. The food was fabulous, lots of choices, and plentiful! We are very active people...kayaking, diving, bicycling, swimming and walking the circumference of the island nearly every day...so we were happy to be so well-fed. I recommend the table-on-the-beach dinners, very romantic.

We loved all the activities included. The snorkel trips and hand-line fishing were our favorites. We even got to eat the fish we caught, yum! Kayaks, snorkel gear, stand-up paddleboards, bicycles are all available for no extra-charge. The front desk helped arrange dive trips. The swimming pool was great. The toiletries were luxurious.

Such a delightful place, words cannot describe it. The people, the place---gorgeous.
Niisam bula bula vinaka!

Full disclosure: it was hot, muggy hot, not at all like Alaska. And there were lots of mosquitoes, just like in Alaska. They provide DEET, but still thought you'd want to know.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, but buris look fabulous!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alaskan_itchy-feet
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Tropical Cyclone Evan went through Fiji and Samoa with devastating force and efficiency just a few short days before we were due to depart for a Christmas break away. We watched with dismay as the weather & news reports out of Fiji slowly got more dire - finally when our Island announced they were evacuating everyone to the BIG island we thought ' that's it, no holiday' and we had planned and booked 7 months ago - what rotten luck, not only for us but for Fiji. But we booked during TC season, so you take the risk. When we heard that the Island & Resort had suffered no major damage ( just foliage ) and were open for business from the very day we were due to leave,we were thrilled and so set off.

Note: The flight is 4 hours to Nadi, you then are advised by the ferry staff at the airport to catch the courtesy bus to Raffles @ Nadi to use the pool and have refreshments and wait for the courtesy bus to take you to Port Denerau Marina ( about 20 mins), the next bus was 90 minutes. Don't do this - it's a complete waste of time and Raffles is not a nice hotel (<3 *). Just get a cab ( cheap as chips) to the Port - there is a nice shopping precinct, restaurants and bars and wait there if you have to.The Marina has been destroyed and there is only one functioning dock - so it took 4 hours for us to move 15 kms - Nadi Airport to Malolo Lailai ( no one mentioned this until you started asking what the delay was).But they have just survived a TC & have other things on their minds & eagerly want to get tourism back up and running.So all in all a 5 hour trip took us 10 hours door to door.( Photos uploaded)

Malolo Lailai Island & Lomani Island Resort:

The island is beautiful, the ferry takes between 50 to 60 mins.You could not see any damage from the ferry, but once you start to get around the island, we estimated they had lost about 1/3 of their trees/undergrowth and ALL the flowers were gone, so this alters the appearance of historical photos on this site. It looked like the Island was experiencing a drought ( common for us Aussies).We imagined it would have looked even more beautiful. The main part of the resort and the front lawns have been restored and look lovely, the rear of the property has an army of workers clearing it, so I imagine it will look great in the next couple of weeks.The beach has been eroded at the front of the property so having the dinners on the beach was not possible as that area had been washed away.
The weather was flawless the entire week we were there.
We were told Beachcomber & Castaway resorts were destroyed and closed down.

The Bures:
We stayed in #22 which is down the far end ( southern) of the resort, Bures are numbered from 15 to 27. 1-14 are the hotel rooms which are nice too, a bit smaller, no outdoor showers or private yards/decks and restricted or no views of the beach/ocean.If you book one of these - ask for one of the front rooms.

The Bures were serviced everyday and were always immaculate, no dirt, sand, insects ( of which there are many on the Island) cobwebs or grime of any kind.Plenty of bottled water provided and replenished daily ( you cannot drink the tap water). Tea & Coffee making facilities. Nightly turn down service.HD with movies. Luxurious bath room amenities & complimentary products - the body lotion and shampoo ( Coconut based) are divine.The bed was a Super King size and our only criticism was the 'water hammer' noise from the tank refilling to the Solar Heater on the roof - it was an ever present drumming noise. Get up and flush to toilet with both buttons until it stops.I had ear plugs with me, so that helped.

The Activities/Spa:
The water based activities were not available until the last couple of days of our stay - we used Plantation Island Resorts in the mean time for an extra fee.We did not use the spa, so cannot comment on this.

Flame Tree Restaurant and Bar:
This is the only food outlet at Lomani. You can eat up at Plantation Island, they have several restaurants and bars but are definitely your burger/steak/chips & beer type of place.You will have to pay seperately for this if you are on the Lomani meal plan - which we highly recommend as the a la carte prices are very high, due to the AUD to FJD exchange rate, it's about half price for us - but FJD65.00 for a plate of pasta is still extremely high for us too.We found we had more than paid for our Meal Plan ( FJD230.00 for both per day) before lunch was over.Our average bill for dinner was FJD200.00, with 3 courses. You pay for all drinks from Coffee, to Beer to Wine etc & they are very expensive compared to AU prices.You can buy alcohol at the Plantation resort, but it is very basic - you can't take it into the Lomani restaurant though. Many guests were bringing alcohol in bulk with them on the ferry.I would suggest that Lomani stop the practice of giving an account for each and every meal purchase to guests with a meal plan - it's unnecessary and a duplication of work & really rather annoying when you want to leave but have to wait for bills & then receipts ( you aren't paying anyway).

Now, the food and this is my only real complaint about the whole holiday, but it's not a big complaint. I am a former Restaurant Manager to some of the best restaurants in Sydney and a lifelong foodie. I considered 5 star prices for 3-4 star food unappealing.My main complaint is the style and ingredients - quite strange combinations of food that don't go well together and substitution of ingredients - e.g. Avocado & Tomato Salad ( although we had seen these ingredients used as garnish on just about everything) you got Apple & Carrot salad ( not even a menu item) and guest not consulted if they would like to replace their order - not professional.
Spanish mackerel is the fish de jure ( but it's canned) and this is a tropical island surrounded by fish.We found the lack of local seafood puzzling, even the menu has almost none and the daily specials just said 'Fish & Tomato Soup', 'Fish and Indian Spices', some prawn dishes but they were very small and could have been canned too. I could go on and on - but once you find a dish you like order it again and stick to it.
Breakfasts are really good - no issues here. Have the Omelette or Eggs Benedict.

A suggestion to Lomani is to replace the incredibly old and tattered menus - invest in a laminator.

The staff were wonderful, friendly, courteous and hardworking - no ' on island time' here.
Special mention to Jonacani who made each visit to the restaurant a joy and Luisiana the manager who was both welcoming and professional at the same time.

We enjoyed our time at the resort and wish the very best to the staff and the Fijian people and know that they will be back up and running at 100% before no time has passed.

Room Tip: Bures - 15-19 are closest to the Restaurant/Pool. Hotel rooms - Ask for the front building to get the views.
5  Thank JPH66
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful honeymoon at Lomani at the beginning on December. Overall I would highly recommend this resort for couples looking for a relaxing, romantic and private vacation at an adult’s only resort. Details below:

LOCATION: Located on Malolo Lailai island. There is a catamaran that services this island's three resorts from Port Denarau. The fee for the catamaran transfer includes a shuttle bus to/from Nadi International Airport. The island is a fantastic location for snorkelling and diving - the reef was amazing and we saw hundreds of tropical fish and colourful coral.

BOOKING: I booked directly with the hotel and had flights through Air New Zealand. We compared prices with other couples at the resort and we paid less or equal to those who had booked packages through travel agents. Booking through the resort was hassle-free and actually allowed for us to book a bure - the online booking package websites indicated there were no bures left. I contacted the resort and there was indeed a bure available and we purchased the pay 5 stay 7 package which included full breakfast daily.

BURE: Our beachfront bure (#17) was amazing and definitely worth the extra cost (especially if you are on your honeymoon or another special occasion). If you are thinking about a bure go for it - you will not have regrets! It was spacious with a very private backyard leading to the beach. The room was very clean and had all the comforts we needed. Room included a safe for your valuables, large flat screen tv with media player (hundreds of movies), bar fridge, iron, robes, etc. When we arrived there were flowers on every surface of our room.

BATHROOM: The large bathroom came with double sinks, separate toilet area, indoor shower, patio doors to a private outdoor shower, and fantastic toiletries. I appreciated the good hairdryer! The bathroom was very clean.

FOOD: I give my thoughts on the meal plan below. Full breakfast is included with most packages and the hot breakfast portions are large. In addition to the a la carte hot breakfast items there are pastries, toast, cereals, fruit, yogurt and juices. Dinner portions are large and we were never able to eat more than two courses. Alcohol (not included in any package) was fairly priced for an island resort. Fijian beers were about $7, a glass of wine around $10, and most cocktails were $23 (all prices in Fijian). You can order meals and drinks to your room or poolside as well. We had breakfast in bed most mornings (you order at the front desk the night before). Overall we really enjoyed the food and didn't have any complaints on any of our meals. We found there to be a good selection for all meals. We had some sort of seafood most evenings and highly recommend the 'fish of the day' choices.

MEAL PLAN: we took the advice of some other tripadvisor members and DID NOT purchase the meal plan. I think this decision needs to be made on an individual basis. We did not spend enough on food on any of the 7 days of our trip to make the plan worthwhile. Because of the big breakfasts we found we only wanted a small lunch (if any). I have no idea how people were able to eat 3 course meals everynight! Example: I ordered a salad and pasta one night and after eating the salad could only manage a few bites of my pasta (which we ate for lunch the next day). We definitely saved money by not purchasing a meal plan but it would depend on how much food you ate.

STAFF: the staff were wonderful and very helpful. If you have a problem, question or need all you have to do is ask and they will go out of their way to help you. The staff are very friendly but ensure your privacy is never invaded.

ACTIVITIES: you can do as much or as little as you want. Watersports are included and we took out the kayaks, hobby cat and paddle boats a number of times. You also have snorkel equipment available to borrow for the duration of your stay and there is some good snorkelling right out from the resort beach. There are two daily activities and one is always a snorkel trip to a different location. We saw amazing amounts of fish and did some of the best snorkelling of our lives (comparable to the Great Barrier Reef for variety of fish and corals). You can also go next door to Plantation to book parasailing, surfing, diving, etc. It’s really what you make it – you can just lie on your bure patio all day if you want!

OTHER: Laundry wash and fold service is free - definitely worth taking advantage of at least once. The spa was nice. My husband and I each had our complimentary ½ hr relaxation massage but I also bought a package with another massage, a facial and a wrap. All treatments were great! Shopping is available at the resort next door (Plantation) where you can pick up groceries, souvenirs and other necessities (like sunscreen).

TIME OF YEAR: We visited the first week of December and had fantastic weather everday even though the forecasts we read before leaving NZ said it would rain everyday. We had a bit of rain the day we arrived in Nadi and then a couple of late night showers but apart from that it was beautiful, sunny and HOT everyday. Temps around 30C plus humidity everyday. The other thing to note if you are thinking of a December vacation to Fiji is the 'schoolies'. Highschool graduates from Australia travel during the first couple weeks of December in large numbers. Luckily they were not permitted on Lomani and after a quick trip over to Plantation we were very happy for our quiet, adults-only resort.

OVERALL: I would highly recommend this resort for a Fijian vacation to any couple looking for a romantic getaway to a picturesque location!

Room Tip: Go for a bure - you won't regret it! Numbers 15, 16, 17, 18 seemed to have a more private backyard area as the vegetation hasnt grown in as much on the higher numbered bures.
2  Thank Kristy31