“Wouldn't go back there”

Musket Cove Island Resort
Mackay
“Wouldn't go back there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

My wife and I went to Musket Cove with the main intention of diving. The diving was excellent and the Fijian Subsurface dive staff were great. The resort however left a bit to be desired. We paid a similar price per night to another resort we has stayed at on the east coast of Fiji which was more than twice as good as Musket. The food was overpriced and disappointing and the bures, although clean were really not particularly Fijian in design or feel. Some of the staff were good and friendly, however others were not particularly accommodating. At half the current rate I would think it would be fair value for money. I would not recommend this resort to anyone and will not go back there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GregandCaroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Hamilton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

We have just returned from 6 days at Musket Cove in a Lagoon Bure with our teenage kids, it was amazing. A beautiful setting for the resort, pool and island bar. Genuinely helpful and friendly staff. The snorkelling was great both on the free daily trips and the paid boat trips. Had a lovely visit to Mandara spa. Dinner prices same as NZ. A lot quieter with only older kids allowed. We had our anniversary out on the private jetty, WOW!! Happily recommend this to anyone.
We were there a week after the cyclone which didn't affect these islands off Nadi.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

Musket Cove Resort is a wonderful place for couples wanting a romantic, relaxing holiday. My partner and i stayed in a beachfront bure, which was definitely the nicest bure out of any we stayed at in Fiji. The bure was large and included a kitchenette, large bed, balcony and two small sitting areas. The best thing about the bure was that it was situated directly on the beach about 20m from the ocean. We also had our own sun chairs and hammock at the front of the bure.

The ocean water was very clear and turquoise, but could only be swum in during high tide. The beach, although much nicer than off the mainland, was very shelly and a bit hard to walk on at times. The resort's swimming pool was very large and was a great swimming alternative during low tide.

The resort offers numerous day activities that are fun to do if you have a group of four or more. I found the staff at the activities shack to be quite lazy and it took some effort to join any activities. They did help us organise a transfer to the Yasawa flyer (at a rate of $360 Fijian though)! A little advice for those who are going to the Yasawa Islands after Malolo Lailai, the only way that this is possible, without having to spend a night on the mainland, is to organise a boat transfer at Musket Cove to Beachcombers Resort and catch the Yasawa flyer from there. Please note that Beachcomber will also charge you $5.00 Fijian each for the transfer.

The activities that we were able to book at the activities shack included snorkeling and a trip to the local village. The snorkeling was really fun and we saw some amazing fish and seahorses. The trip to the local village was OK, but did not feel like an authentic village trip as all of the women in the village were waiting for us with stalls of souvenirs and sarongs. The good thing was that the women do not try to persuade you to buy anything and are very friendly, but the whole trip seemed a bit fake. Another note to travelers - do not buy any wooden products that have not been treated, as you will not be allowed back into your country with them. I would recommend buying all wooden souvenirs at Jacks or Prouds on the mainland.

The food at the resort (Dicks Restaurant) was very good, however, it was a little overpriced compared to other resort restaurants. The same applied to the massage parlor, very good but very overpriced as well. The little bar at the tip of the island is a great place to meet other guests after dinner and enjoy an awesome cocktail (or several), while listening to the soothing sound of the ocean.

Overall, i would recommend this resort to couples looking for some romance and relaxation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amy000025
Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

We loved our time at Musket Cove -
- Friendly and attentive, but not overbearing, staff and management was execptional from the top to the bottom .
- Beautiful location and amenities.
- Everything you've read about Dick Smith's amazing yachtie and visitor friendliness:
Facilities
cheap beer :-)
Island bar with cook your own bbq pits and very reasonably priced BBQ packs
- Choose the Beach Bure's - they have A/C and they're on the beach and luxurious (they also get a good sea breeze)
- Great restaurants - we especially enjoyed the "piggy night" on Thursday with a great meke (quite spirited, local performers). Breakfast at both "Dick's Place" and the "Coffee Place" were great with perfectly cooked entrees.
- Easy transportation options - 10 minute air trip or 1 hour fast catamaran (Mololo Charters) from Denaru Marina
- Excellent recreational options - snorkeling, hiking, fishing, swimming and nature
- Fun locals and crusiers.
- A bit warm in summer, but still enjoyable particularly if you stay in the a/c bures.

Outstanding location, resort, people and overall experience! We'll go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WeLovetheTropics
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

Musket Cove is very well run with excellent accommodation and a good mix of laid back relaxation and organised events. As it happened we were there when the Golden Shower trees and Poinciania trees were in full bloom, which was quite spectacular. We were also there when someone decided to marry on the beach and to see them well taken care of. The yachties bar is well patronised and well sorted.
Unfortunately the trip ended with my camera being stolen between pickup at the bure and collection at the Denarau wharf. So, watch your luggage.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

My (now) husband and I were married at Musket Cove in November. We chose the small jetty for the location and it was absolutely sensational. We could not have asked for a more perfect ceremony. It was very relaxed, simple and we had a ball.

The staff were gorgeous. The Fijian's have the most open, friendly smiles you will ever come across. And the Fiji Time certainly forces you to relax and settle into your surrounds.

The tide going out is a little annoying, but the pool is brilliant and makes up for the low tide when it's out. The water sports available are great fun and well worth a go.

My only recommendation to anyone considering getting married at Musket Cove (or anywhere in Fiji for that matter) is to make sure you check the quality of the photographer the resort recommends. Unfortunately, the photo's we received are appalling. Our guests have given us better quality photo's than the 'professional' photographer. After the initial devastation, the Video we had taken for family and friends who didn't attend, is rather funny to watch. It has provided a lot of laughs once people get over the shock of how bad it is. The photographer Musket Cove recommend is from Roxy Studios. DON'T let them book him for you.

Although I've bagged their photographer, the service, atmosphere and resort are absolutely brilliant and highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FurikMelbourne
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

I choose to stay at one of the privately owned villa - Villa Horizon managed by Musket Cove resort for 8 nights. The villa itself is pretty nice and most people are very friendly on the Island except we've unfortunately encounter two bad housekeepers whom turned out to have integrity issue and the sadest part is the management is trying to covering up the them.

I forgot to lock my suitcase on the 3rd morning before I head out for scuba diving which I didn't think its a problem since we've lock all the doors of the house and the housekeeper were the only people who got the key and come in everyday at noon time to clean the house. Upon my return w/ 2 other friends to villa horizon after our morning dives around 2pm, we realised that our house key was with another friend of our who went out for an afternoon dive. So we've no choice but asked the porter who came by to delivered our groceries to notifed our housekeeper to come up & open the door for us. James (our housekeeper) opened the door for us and I discovered that my wallet was placed differently so I checked my wallet and discovered some US$ & FJD$ were missing from my wallet. After a thorough search at the house with no sign of my disappered cash, I did report to the Management office at Musket Cove. The resort manager Mary Rose came with the porter & our housekeeper, James & Rasika. I told her what happened and wrote a statement for her. To my disappointment again, the police didn't show up as promised at noon but instead he arrived at almost 4 pm the next day. As soon as I started to give him my statement, his mobile phone rang and the GM of the Musket Cove, Joe was on the phone telling me that the detective has to leave the island and go back to the mainland immediately. I was really frustrated & furious when Joe told me I need to pay for the detective's accommdation for the night if i wanted him to stay. It all seems like a setup / coverup for me.

Besides, i advise you guys to check your bill carefully upon check out since they tend to double charge you on several occasions. Or it'll be best if you can settle everything by cash after each time you spend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,976 reviews
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Plantation Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,320 reviews

Been to Musket Cove Island Resort? Share your experiences!