“A long weekend retreat...”

Musket Cove Island Resort
Australia
“A long weekend retreat...”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed at Musket Cove, on a long weekend break from Sydney. With a day travelling either side (flights, transfers, jet cat), I enjoyed a simply perfect two days on Malolo Island at Musket Cove. The accommodation was ideal – I had a two bed villa over a private lagoon, with a private pool to share with the other 9 villas. But all of the accommodation looked great. If it was just myself and gf we’d probably go for a beachfront bure. The food was great, the service was impeccable and the weather held for two sensational days. We enjoyed the free snorkelling trips too. Standing on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean was crazy. What a place. Would definitely return. Oh, and the pool is huge – with the beach just the other side. A huge Bula Vinaka to all at the Cove who made this long weekend break so memorable….

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ReggaeBuoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Melbourne
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Ignore the 'terrible' comments as most seem to be from 2008 - 2010. This place must have had major improvement since then. This was my third time to Fiji and is one of the best places I've stayed in.

The food is great and the curry is a true fijian curry.

We had the privilege I looking at most of the rooms as we were shopping for a wedding venue. All rooms are spacious and clean. The only exception is the bathroom in the 'hotel' rooms, they are a little small.

Facilities are modern. This island cleverly makes you feel like you are the only person on the island.

Staff are great and not too over the top like staff at Denaru. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014
Nadi fiji
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We spent the weekend at musket cove and had a very relaxing time the food at musket cove is some of the best in the mamanucas and service is fantastic! Definitely one of the better resorts in the mamanucas, a must visit for anyone coming out this way!

Room Tip: The Armstrong villas overlooking the water are well appointed and very comfortable
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marc M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2014

These outer Islands are just a gorgeous location. White sandy beaches along with the sunshine and warm breezes. The accomodation at Musket Cove Resort is great. Individual little houses called bures are spaced out under the shady trees. They are spacious and clean with everything you need. There is a little shop that sells foodstuffs so you can make a light breakfast or lunch with fresh fruit, yoghurt, bread and cheese and crackers.. They also had coke and spirit mixer for our duty free supplies. The food generally was good but a few of the dinner meals were less than acceptable just a change of chef perhaps. There is plenty to do but you can also just relax in the peace and quiet. The Activities staff could do with some training. Some of their advice was completely wrong which spoilt a couple of trips out. The Island hopper didn't stop at many islands, just one. The sign did say a stop at Beachcomber and others and I particularly wanted to go to Beachcomber. I was told it was closed but when we returned to Denarau we were able to go there so not ure what that was about. The lunch stop at Mana was like going next door to Plantation Island a budget place. Loved the location

Room Tip: Beach front are nice but saw other types of rooms and they all were good
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Serena T
Keeler11, General Manager at Musket Cove Island Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Bula Serena
Thanks for your feedback, it's invaluable to our development.
Re the excursions, absolutely no excuse. We should have done better and will. As an aside. Island hops are restricted by other resorts allowing visitors. Some block visitors when they have high occupancy. But still, this is not an excuse.
Food, no apologies on this one. I know we are not perfect and I can only judge on what guests say. And the overwhelming feedback is that our food is excellent. As can be confirmed by reading previous Trip Advisor comments.
Appreciate you taking the time to write
Vinaka
Garry
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We actually stayed at the neighbouring resort on the island but as soon as we found Musket Cove we were sold and went for every dinner (and some lunches) there. This is what you are looking for when you go to Fiji. Gorgeous ambience, great staff, exceptional service, brilliant food, laid back great entertainment. We will go back. No ifs or buts on this one (which we couldn't say for our resort which was woeful). Wish we had booked here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Fiona P
Keeler11, General Manager at Musket Cove Island Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Bula and thanks for all the great comments lately. A lot of effort continues to be put into our food and beverage department. And it seems the hard work is paying off. We're not there yet, but we are definitely heading in the right direction.
Our commitment to improvement continues. We recently took delivery of 12 new kayaks and 60 Beach cruiser push bikes and our new Island Bar is receiving rave reviews. Now with electric cook your own BBQ's. A fantastic informal and relaxed dining option.
Our new website is under construction and if anyone would like more information please email me gm@musketcovefiji.com
Vinaka
Garry
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Totally recommend this hotel... Beautiful well kept grounds amazing staff an the best food we had in Fiji.

everyone was extremely nice, helpful and friendly. Loved it!

We stayed at Plantation Island (dump) but spent all our time here. Try to make the pig roast wonderful meal and wonderful experience

Stayed January 2014
9 Thank Butchpdx
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

After a delayed flight and an expensive water taxi, I arrived at the resort at 7.45pm. I was greeted by Nai at reception and taken to my garden bure. It was so nice to walk into a small home. It was clean, tidy, plenty of towels and toiletries. Unfortunately the power wasn't on at the points but before breakfast the next day the maintenance man switched the mains on and all was working well. I did have to ask for tea, coffee and sugar but that was all I had to ask for. There was always plenty of water and the maid service knew I drank a lot of water so very nicely left an extra bottle.
I loved my stay, the garden bure was in the first row so it was a short walk to the beach to get wet. I didn't stay at the pool very long as I just wanted to relax alone and read and enjoy the beautiful garden.
The Spa was fantastic. Laite, the girl who massaged me twice was wonderful. I really enjoyed my treatments and I also had a pedicure and manicure. All worth the really inexpensive cost of having someone pampering me.
The food was abundant, fresh and well laid out. There was plenty of variety and I advise you to pay for your meals before you go. I paid for a continental breakfast which consisted of cereal, yohurts, fruit, toast, pastries, tea, coffee and juice - more than enough to eat and I paid for dinner which you could choose from al a carte or the buffet each night. Most nights were theme nights so you got variety.
I was able to swim the cove at high tide and it was safe and enjoyable.
I can't recommend Musket Cove resort highly enough. All the staff were wonderful, they would welcome you at each meal by name and made you feel special. As a solo traveller, it was a perfect place to relax, swim, walk and just enjoy the solitude if that's what you wanted. If you wanted company then you went to the pool area where I did meet some very nice people who included me at dinner for a couple of nights.
I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in the end garden bure closest to the airstrip in the front row just across from the beach...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Tropica Island Resort
#3 of 3 in Malolo Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Plantation Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island

Been to Musket Cove Island Resort? Share your experiences!