“Another enjoyable return visit”

Plantation Island Resort
Melbourne, Australia
“Another enjoyable return visit”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Once again Plantation Island was the perfect holiday. This trip we travelled with 3 friends who had not been there before and all of them thoroughly enjoyed their holiday.

Our husbands especially enjoyed the golf - while we lazed on the beach or snorkelled. You really can do as much as you like or as little as you like.

If you enjoy snorkelling, a trip to the sandbar is a must - we did this quite a few times. Fantastic snorkelling there and only a couple of minutes from the island at low tide. Great for smaller kids because you get dropped off on the sandbar so only knee deep water and you don't have to go in very far to see the beautiful fish.

The activities board each day lists a variety of things to be involved in - basket weaving, nature walk etc.

Most importantly thank you to the gorgeous staff for making our holidays as enjoyable as they are, without you guys it just wouldn't be the same. Thank you Semi, Tomasi, Maritha, Matt, Bill, Michael and Richie.

We really missed having Sue there for this trip - we missed seeing her smile and friendly nature every day - but hopefully she will be back on the island when we are there next time.

We have already booked our trip back to Plantation Island next year. See you soon everyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Heytchy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Plantation Island is the first place we have traveled as a family (including our 11mo old boy) and we had a wonderful time. Walking from our burre to the warm water of the lagoon took about 2 minutes, and then many hours were spend splashing in the sunshine. The resort has several big pools, but they are a little redundant when you can surround yourself with tropical fish in their natural habitat. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a burre on the Lomani side to get easy access to the best swimming reefs
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DaveRobinson
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was our second visit to Plantation Island and we hope to return for many more visits in the years to come!

My husband and i absolutely love Fiji, we first went for our honeymoon 2 years ago and stayed in Port Denarau at The Westin which was a beautiful 5 star resort on the mainland, but when we decided to go back to Fiji the following year we decided to stay on an island to try something different and something a little cheaper, so my travel agent recommended Plantation Island as there was a pay for 5 nights but stay for 7 deal so we thought it sounded like great value for money. Mum and dad also decided to come along on the holiday with us as we have raved about Fiji and they wanted to check it out for themselves .

Well when we arrived to Plantation Island which is a 3 star resort we straight away noticed the difference from the Westin but thought it was nice and when we got to our room my husband was not impressed about there being no tv and had a bit of a winge and said I was banned from booking anymore holidays! I thought to myself great- it's going to be a long 7 days... We unpacked and went for a cocktail and had a look around and from that moment my husband, my parents and I could not say anything bad about Plantation Island Resort.

We had such a great time, we all enjoyed it so much that my husband and I recently returned a few weeks ago for our second visit to plantation island and we took 2 friends who also fell In love with the place and we all plan to return again next year!

There are so many things to do on the island, it's suitable for all ages and different types of people. You can chose to spend your days just relaxing, drinking cocktails , massages or just enjoying the scenery . You can also chose to do some exploring and visit the local village or do some island hopping. Snorkelling on the island is a must do, honestly you don't get bored of it, so many beautiful fish, star fish and pretty coral and if your lucky you may come across some other beautiful marine life like an octopus or a sting ray or small reef sharks and many more other exciting things!

The resort has daily activities and at night activities for the kids then adult activities as well such as Polynesian dancing, crab racing, frog racing, bingo and many more activities as well as a late night disco!

The food is nice, of course it's not fancy and not the same quality as you would get in a 5 star resort but it's not too bad and of course you have a few options to chose from like the all you can eat buffet, the snack bar or the 2 other restaurants called Anandas and black Coral where you order from the menu. You are also welcome to take a stroll down to the resort next door called Lomani for a nice meal there also!

This year and last year we mixed in a few tours. My father and husband went on a fishing tour which they enjoyed, we did some island hopping which is also a fun day out and you get to check out different island and do things like jet skiing and parasailing and you will also get to come across some wildlife on these tours like turtles @ treasure island and the Fijian iguana and we got to see a wild parrot and it's baby in the tree.
The shell village tour is another thing you must do, only a short 2 hour or so tour but you get to meet the locals and see how they live and I would recommend taking some donations like school supplies or little knick knacks for the kids! My highlight this year was the Dolphin Safari, the year before we did it but unfortunately did not see any dolphins but was still a good morning out as you were taken to 2 different snorkelling locations and you got to have a look around and pass some beautiful scenery but this year we went on the tour and thankfully we did see some wild spinner dolphins, it was an amazing experience, they swam along and in front of the boat and kept through the air, was great seeing dolphins free and happy in the wild where they belong.

There are some souvenir shops, 2 supermarkets and 3 pools to pick from but personally I would rather swim in the sea cos its so beautiful, white sand and crystal clear water- why would you want to swim in the pool?

I have saved the best for last- the staff! That is the main reason we went back and will continue to go back. Honestly we were treated like royalty on our return and we are pleased to say we have made some wonderful friends- we call them our plantation island family :) I really think that Fijian people are the most friendliest people in the world and if you go to Plantation island, I am sure you will agree with me! Take the time to chat and get to know the staff, they are always smiling and laughing and be sure to drunk some kava with them in the evenings!

So for anyone who has booked to go to plantation Island, I'm sure you will love it and anyone considering going there, you won't regret it and to all those people who have not liked it, remember that it is only 3 star so don't expect 5 star food and accommodation and a holiday is only what you make it!
I look forward to going back next year and the many years to come!

• Stayed October 2013
8 Thank Sarah K
Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We arrived 27th Oct and stayed for 7 nights here as a part of our honeymoon. We chose Plantation as we wanted to experience and island for the water and this was well priced.
We were first shown to the studio garden bure number 333, and to be honest were horrified. The air con although working, wasn't working and it was very hot and the bathroom was well below average. The door to the shower was just, well ridiculous! The shower we would of put up with but the air con, it was just to hot.
We went to reception and spoke to Ravin (something like that) and he was amazing! He then offered us a choice of another 2 bures and we ended up choosing bure 315.
This bure, although not a new renovated one, was close to the pool and beach and had a lovely outlook. The air con, it worked. Not as efficient as they should really but we were told they were in the process of updating all the air cons on the island.
The room was pleasant and staff who cleaned the rooms every day did a wonderful job.

Breakfast was good, especially with the omelette station but as previously reviewed I don't know how they cook the bacon, or whether it's the type of bacon but we didn't like it either. It has a very smoked flavour.

The lunch buffet usually had a great variety.

For dinner we did all, including the Black Coral, Anandas, the buffet and Lomani next door.

Lomani was lovely, a very nice setting but take the insect repellent. The mozzies there were soooo bad. Nothing like Plantation. The meal was lovely but overpriced. For entrée, $30FJD for garlic prawns was overpriced. Yes it was lovely, but just not worth the money.
My husband and I each had an entrée, main and we shared a dessert and shared 2 bottles of wine and it came to $332 FJD.

Ananda's was ok, but we both preferred the Black Coral. The Black Coral shut down until further notice when we were there but the menu was available from the Ol Copra Shed so you didn't miss out.

The nightly buffet when we ate there was ok too.

The Oasis swimming pool although it's meant to be adults only, is not sign posted to be adults only and you'll generally find kids in there also.

The swimming and snorkelling of the beach at Plantation was outstanding. We really enjoyed it. We did pack our own snorkel equipment though which was much better we thought.
We did the hand fishing line trip one day which was ok but no one was really pulling in any fish and we did 2 snorkel trips which really were just as good off the main beach.

The staff here are amazing. They are so lovely and the guy in charge of the nightly entertainment is so good. He's lovely and was a pleasure to be around.
There is one waitress who looks miserable, but she just seemed miserable the whole time. The rest of the staff were just so nice to deal with and really made the place so enjoyable.

One of the downsides which in no way reflects the resort is some of the people holidaying there. I know you're on holidays, but seriously parent your children! Your child running around and screaming and carrying on while you sit on your butt and drink is not cool. I seen on one occasion a young girl was actually hitting the guy doing the nightly entertainment and thinking she was hilarious and taking things way to far despite being asked to stop on many occasions by the person she was hitting. The parents, of course no where around to parent and tell their daughter to quit carrying on like a spoilt brat. I know your on holidays, I get it (and yes I am a parent too, to 5 kids) but it's not an excuse to turn a blind eye and let your children run feral and carry on.

The music every night was really lovely. We enjoyed sitting there and listening and watching. It was a lovely atmosphere to be involved with. The frog and crab races were hilarious and we enjoyed being involved in them.

Don't come here if you're looking for luxury, because you won't get it. This place is a great place to relax, snorkel, read a book by the pool and chill out but it's not luxurious. It is what it is so don't come over and expect more cause then you will be disappointed.

The cocktails were amazing but a little on the expensive side.
We never had a problem with the billing system, it was spot on when we paid.

I had to visit the doctor at one stage on the island as I came down with tonsillitis and that was really good. I was able to get the antibiotics that I needed to get better and was extremely grateful that this service was available and at a very reasonable rate.

This place for us lived up to all our expectations and allowed us to have an amazing island experience and see the gorgeous water.

Room Tip: Room 315 is close to everything, pool, beach, bar etc.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Suzzgrl
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Hi we spent 7 days on Plantation and found it worth every penny, lot's to do and see great for kids and good food.
If you have kids and want a great value holiday then this is for you.
Staff are very friendly, plenty of food,
We had a Garden Bura, clean modern and very comfortable.
Internet was a little slow but your on an island.
We'll be going back again soon.

Room Tip: Beach Bura or Garden Bura. a little $$ but worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave C
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I joined my friend who was staying there with a family of five. This place is fabulous for kids - safe, lovely staff, kids club, kids meals and lots to do. I had my own large room, which was lovely and cool. There are plenty of activities that are posted on the board each day. I particularly enjoyed the trip to the Coral Village - if you visit on a day the school is open you can bring books and stationary to assist the school and the children.

Although they don't have many of the mod cons, including a TV in the rooms, it really brought me back to basics - there is nothing better than having little communication with the outside world while relaxing on a hammock reading a book or snorkling in the warm ocean.

The only down side to my trip is that I am vegetarian and very few meals were offered to me. Most lunch times I went to the kiosk for a salad sandwich and even that was sub-par. Ananda's only had a pumpkin soup, a daal and vegetable spring rolls on offer. Although, the chef at Plantation did make me a delicious eggplant curry a couple of nights. I suggest going to Dick's Place Bar & Restaurant at Musket Cove (up past the landing strip) as they had more vegetarian options, although they were more expensive. Also, the cheese rolls at the supermarket near Ananda's are lovely and only 70c.

All in all, I had a ball at Plantation - they have three swimming pools (including one with a slide for the kiddies), free kayak and canoe hire, great snorkelling just off the beach, lovely staff and an overall great vibe. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this resort, but it is definately more family oriented, rather than for couples or singles.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Aleerak
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed November 7, 2013

this was amazing everyone should go there so many hot guys! it was amazing there tanya and i went swimming and ate food and went consing and went on a water slide thats right they have a WATERSLIDE klkfgbhej,gheisdjklvfgsjfywioklfjhnskl;fhgsal;fkHASFGLAKFJGAJSAKJF;YGS;AOFKGS

Room Tip: any room is good
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Musket Cove Island Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Mana Island Resort
Mana Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Mana Island

Been to Plantation Island Resort? Share your experiences!