“Fantastic family holiday”

Plantation Island Resort
Auckland, New Zealand
“Fantastic family holiday”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were a group of 16 people, all with children. Our family of four stayed in garden terrace number 287, which was gorgeous, with a small peak of the sea, and about 60 m from the sea.

We had a superb stay, with no tummy bugs. We loved the friendly staff, the eating options, and the snorkelling was incredible. Loved the free use of the kayaks and snorkelling gear.

I had read many of the reviews here, and I'm happy to say we had great weather, clean accommodation, friendly people, no theft, and a system that works well to give families a great experience.

We are nature-lovers, and I would love to see some information on the exquisite fish that swim under the pontoons and on the reef, and more information about protecting the reefs. A guided or sign-posted walk or two on the island would be fun too.

I recommend the Sandbank Snorkelling Boat Trip. We saw a huge range of fish, and liked the fact that the guide told us not to break the coral with our flippers, and not to swim directly over the reef. The locals are quietly working on a new coral reef near the jetty, which is great as the reefs are under threat from the acidified oceans and the coral is bleached and dying.

Otherwise, we had a great time.

Room Tip: Garden Terrace Room number 287, 286 and 288 are the best: quiet, right next to Lomani, a little bit...
2 Thank NichT44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Korean first
Honolulu
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Aloha,
I was blessed to have the opportunity to stay at Plantation island resort. First let me start off with the beautiful boat ride across the ocean. I took so many pictures! I was advised to come and celebrate Fiji day at the plantation which was fabulous! When we got off the boat staff greeted the passengers with music, and dancing even a lei. Being from Hawaii a lei is a wonderful welcoming gesture. I think I was the only single person there, but it was ok, definitely for families though. The music, dancing, kava ceremony, and the opportunity to mingle with the staff was incredible. Oh my goodness you want something so yummy, I will have to let you in on a little secret. In the market they have a pastry chef that is just incredible! I couldn't stop getting the cream buns, cheese buns, even the pineapple pie was delicious. Stop by and ask for a cream bun, you won't be disappointed. Honestly when I go back I will just take all my meals from the bakery because the food there was much better than the restaurant.
Oh and the Fiji day festivities were a blast! Volleyball games, wheel barrow races, and coconut husking competitions....Oh the fun, and the beautiful people all around the resort.
The room was beautiful, I had to get some help with the air conditioner because I didn't know how to use it but the staff was very accommodating in that department as well. If you do go and visit be kind to the workers and everyone there, because they really do put on a great show, and help out whenever you need anything.
I made some life long friends at the plantation and I plan on going back next year during Fiji day to say hello. If you do go there please let them know Summer sends her love from Hawaii. I miss them all very much....

Room Tip: ask for something away from the construction
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Summer B
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We are a family of 5, including a 3, 6 and a 9 year old. Plantation Island was our first family holiday and we were a little worried after seeing some of the reviews on this site, we also heard from the holiday company that there was some development going on within the resort and we were even offered to be moved to another Island which we refused due to the kids eat free deal at Plantation! I'm so glad we choose to stay with Plantation Island, from the minute we arrived to the minute we left we fell in love with the place, the staff were amazing and friendly and my youngest boy loved shouting Bula! to all the staff as the walked past our accomodation as they returned the gesture with a big smile! We stayed in a 2 bedroom bure which was set at the far end near Anandas restaurant. The bure was basic but perfect for our needs, included two bathrooms and seating outside including a hammock. Breakfast was eaten at the buffet every morning which was fine, you could eat as much as you wanted, lunch was taken at the snack bar, prices ranged from $7 for hot chips to $10 for a toasted sandwich. We choose to feed the kids in the buffet before shipping them out to the kids club for their evening entertainment and we would usually eat at Anandas restaurant before picking the kids up at 9 pm. A meal for two at Anandas would cost about $80 including a drink! If you ate at the buffet you would pay roughly the same. We found the food at both places really nice and reasonable priced. We didn't see much of the kids during the day and early evening as they preferred to go to the kids club, the staff really look after the kids and treat them as their own:-) The whole resort was paradise to us, lovely beach, great snorkeling free use off the kayaks and three great pools, now we start saving saving our dollars again to return back there next year. We were on a tight spending budget but to be honest we actually came back with plenty to spend in the duty free at the airport, so don't worry the place is cheap as!

Room Tip: Use a cash card which is provided instead of charging everything to your room, this way you top up t...
7 Thank BulaFreddie
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stopped over for the day, and it was a clean and tidy resort. Everything was well kept, staff were friendly and looked like a very nice relaxing place to stay for a while. We had a drink at the bar, which was a beautiful set up around the dining area. The kids pool has a small water slide, and there is also an adults only pool. There is also a kids club, and they looked to be having heaps of fun.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent 5 nights last week at Plantation - my husband, teenage son and myself. We had read the various reviews, so we were armed with 'just in case' medical supplies. We didn't need them. Check in time was organised and processed us quickly. We had a lovely new bure 240 - not far from the building site but we were unaffected by it. When the builders were going to make a lot of noise - we were notified by the staff. The staff were wonderful and professional. I think people have to realise that a lot of the staff are away from their families that are on the mainland. We had taken a toaster and sandwich maker and bought supplies from the shop. We had dinner at all three restaurants - so there was a choice. If we didn't like what they had for the buffet meals, we ate elsewhere.... very simple there are choices!!!! Snorkling in the clear waters was lovely as was the trip to the sandbank. A very very relaxing holiday!!!

6 Thank Venice C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We are an older couple and enjoyed our stay here. We had nice room away from teh pools, restaurant and construction. It had grass around it adn so it was quiet. We enjoyed the space and cleanilness of the room although it was a little tired looking. We didn't have a meal plan and were glad we didbn't as we chose to eat at different places each night. Lomani, and Muskat hd nice places and the black coral was nice too. The shop had great cheese buns for lunch and fruit.
We went snorkelling off the beach which as nice by Lomani. The hightlight of our trip was a tour to the Island where they filmed Castaway. It was right out the end of all the Islands so we saw all the Islands and the guide told us about them as we went past. The snorkelling spots x2 were the best we have seen. It was a nice morning out. Thoroughly recommend it. We did a few other tours but they were a bit disappointing especially the dolphin tour. A boring morning on that tour. We recommend this resort for older folk if you you are looking for a great value holiday.

Room Tip: garden towards the back
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SueH473
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed at Plantation with my family luckily for only 3 night. The check In process is a joke! Kept us waiting in the bar area go over half an hour, then we had to walk through a building site to get to our Bure. Lucky the room was well presented.
The eating area and food is horrible, especially the kids food, my daughter described it like prison food! (Not that she has been in prison)
Even though the kids eat for free, they don't eat from the same buffet as the adults for dinner! Why?
The breakfast is ok! And the kids can eat from the same buffet then!
We felt sorry for the Fijisn man playing his guitar around dinner time at the beach, because he was drowned out by the guy on the microphone at the other end of the bar! Supposedly entertaining the kids. He likes the sound of his own voice, which was very annoying?

In all I would never return to Plantation resort! and would definitely not recommend to anybody either.
My daughter and I spoke to serveral people who where also staying and they all said the same thing.
Very unfair for families when they have spent so much money to go to Plantation because it is not cheap!

• Stayed October 2013
#2 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,041 reviews

Been to Plantation Island Resort? Share your experiences!