Plantation gave us the holiday we really needed and left us sad to leave. My son, partner and myself stayed there for 6 nights end of Sept 2012. It allowed us to have a Fiji Island experience on a tight budget and Plantation Island Resort is perfectly acceptable for a 3 star resort. Malolo Lailai has three resorts so you can enjoy other places to visit/eat and explore and the western beach and Musket Cove lagoon are really beautiful places to swim. Tips - take quite a bit of cash with you and visit Musket Cove. We had most of our meals at Dicks Place it was by far the best restaurant on the island and made the best cocktails. There is also a great little 'Island Bar' at the marina at Musket Cove, which has a relaxed environment and very cheap drinks. 'The Trader' supermarket/cafe at Musket has fantastic sausage rolls (according to my other half) sandwiches, pizza and make great coffee so a great way to save on meals. You can buy a bbq pack and cook it on the bbq pits on the Island bar if you really want to be club casual. We went to the buffet on Plantation Island a few times because we had complimentary vouchers and the food was quite good, much nicer than 'Anandas' restaurant and actually nicer than the 3 course meal we had at Lomani's Flame Tree restaurant (neighbouring adult only resort), which was a real let down. So back to Plantation - our poolside room was adequate, a bit run down but we knew it was a 3 star and it was nice to have it serviced daily and have airconditioning albeit a little noisy. The bed was super comfortable and it was great sitting outside enjoying our duty free while our son slept! At times some staff seemed to be a little 'over it' although some of them were genuine and warm so a mixture there. There is a kids club, which was great - our son being 3 I felt was a little young to be left on his own so we hired a nanny (Ana) for the 2 days that we had him there. Ana is a really lovely lady! The let down for me was while there was a great place for kids to hang out and a baby sitting service there was no adults area to mix and have a drink with the other parents. Most people had kids so it would have been great to have an adults bar/area. Boat trips - we went on 3: dophin safari, day island hop and sand bar coral visit. All great. Snorkeling around the resorts is a little limited but a quick trip to the sand bar and you're at a tropical reef that you can stand up on if you wish to have a breather. A little eye opener was a walk down the runway to the otherside of the Island. Wow, I have never seen so many plastic bottles washed up on a beach. It made me so sad!
So a summary - don't buy into the buffet if you want to explore there are plenty of other places to eat - as mentioned if you want an incredible cocktail or 3 head straight to Musket Cove.
Take cash - you don't need loads (we had $500 fjd for 6 days) but you'll need it for babysitters, the supermarkets and it makes it easier when visiting other resorts either on the island or on day trips.
Save money by eating at 'The Trader' there are also supermarket supplies at 'The Trader' and besides Anandas restaurant. Just check the prices, some brands of potato chips are $14fjd!
Other than that it was amazing - very 3 star but our bill reflected this. Being creative with choices it cost us around $1000 NZ for 6 nights expenses, which included the boat trips and a fabulous lunch on Mana Island, lots of food and plenty of cocktails. A holiday I will never forget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the 553 acre island of Malolo Lailai, part of the Mamanuca Group of Islands, Plantation is surrounded by 23 acres of tropical gardens, coconut palms and white sandy beaches that front a beautiful sheltered lagoon. Plantation offers several accommodation options to suit most budgets, and is great value for families, students and fun loving couples. Most of the activities are complimentary including the 'Coconut Kids Club'. Come experience the friendly Fijian hospitality! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Plantation Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plantation Island Hotel Malolo Lailai Island
- Plantation Island Malolo Lailai
- Island Plantation Resort
- Plantation Island Resort Fiji/Malolo Lailai Island