“Escape from Reality...”

Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Malolo Island
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Wow.. my husband and I went to Likuliku on our honeymoon this past October.. and it was just way beyond our expectations! We took a private boat to the island and were greeting by a lovely welcome song. From the moment we arrived we felt like part of their family. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived since we got there before check in time, but they brought us to the restaurant to eat lunch. The staff always had smiles on their faces and made sure to learn your names and use them every chance possible. I work in the hospitality industry and really appreciated this sentiment.

The food was out of this world! We loved that every day for lunch and dinner there was a different menu. Breakfast was the same each day but delicious. Definitely recommend the crepes (grilled pineapple, honey, fresh coconut.. mmm). I can't say enough about how delicious the food was. The portions were perfectly sized and you never left hungry.

We originally booked a Beachfront Bure but decided to later on splurge on the Deluxe, and we were so happy we did. The Deluxe Beach Bure has its own pool which you really can plunge into! I was surprised that it was almost 5 ft deep and you could just relax and soak up the sun in there. The room was huge! It had a living room area really large bedroom and bathroom area. The outdoor shower was a nice touch as well. We enjoyed the turn down service at night. While at dinner the staff would turn down the bed, put relaxing music on, and lit a candle underneath a nice smelling oil. The daybed outside was where we spent most of our time.. its large and soo cozy. As everyone else has mentioned, the freshly baked cookies delivered each day were AMAAZING!

We liked the complimentary snorkel gear you receive when you get there, and you get to keep for the duration of your stay. The bures are right on the beach so during high tide we could walk right out from our bure and go snorkeling in the lagoon. The reef was only a few feet out so your didn't have to swim very far. We really loved all the blue starfish, and coral.. although I heard from other guests the colors and fish were much more abundant if you went on one of the snorkeling excursions. Still it was a very convenient and relaxing activity we could do at our leisure. We did the island hopping tour on our last day which was fun. We stopped at a couple other resorts that made Likuliku look like heaven!

We went to the spa and had a couples massage which was heavenly.. the hour went by way too fast! Make sure to book any treatments when you arrive because the appointment times fill up fast.

The only negative I could say about this luxurious paradise, is that it really is overrun with ants. Now I understand its an island and there are bugs.. but they are everywhere. All over our deck, the walkways around the resorts, the pool area, the beach. They are really tiny and harmless but nonetheless annoying. As for mosquitoes the staff does a great job at trying to control them. They give you plenty of bug spray in your room, as well as well as mosquito coils to keep them away. I did notice the staff spraying around the resort too.

Overall.. it was the most incredible honeymoon and we have so many great memories from Likuliku. We would most definitely recommend this resort for couples wanting to escape from their everyday lives and just relax and enjoy each others company. Thank you Likuliku and hope to return again one day!

1  Thank Lulukg
There are newer reviews for Likuliku Lagoon Resort

Reviewed November 23, 2010

My husband and I recently spent our 6 night honeymoon at Likuliku and were blown away by its beautiful location, extremely friendly staff and peaceful atmosphere.

We chose this resort after hearing a number of recommendations and it really was perfect for what we wanted for our honeymoon – hot weather, clear blue water and a place where we could totally relax and indulge in a few activities if we desired.

We arrived in the afternoon and transferred to the island by an Island Hoppers helicopter. We totally recommend this as the prefect start to your honeymoon/holiday. Not only was it an exciting way to arrive, on a practical level, it is a 15 -20 minute transfer door-to-door from Nadi airport, which meant we could get to Likuliku sooner and didn’t have to wait around transferring or stay overnight on the mainland to transfer by the ferry the next day.

From the moment we landed, the staff at Likuliku were very friendly and welcoming.

We stayed in the Over-Water Bure for three nights before transferring to a Deluxe Beachfront Bure for the remaining three nights.

As stated by others below, the Over-Water Bure was very impressive in both size and layout and was definitely a treat, as we had never stayed in one before. We were also impressed with just how much fish and coral was below the Bure.

The Deluxe Beachfront bure was also very generous in size and had its own great aspects, including the outdoor shower, daybed and plunge pool, as well as being surrounded by lush gardens.

We were also lured to Likuliku by the chefs and menu. We found the full board appealing, knowing that all our meals were paid for upfront (albeit the high room rates). While we felt the food was very good by resort standard (particularly the wagu beef and desserts) and offered a variety of options, we didn’t feel it was the five-star dining level that we were expecting, as per the training of the chefs (ie Quay and Bathers). Despite this, there was certainly an abundance of food and we were never left feeling hungry. By the end of our stay we were actually feeling a bit overwhelmed by having virtually a three-course meal three times per day and found ourselves saying no to some of it. It also became a bit monotonous eating breakfast, lunch and dinner in the same spot.

On that note, we were very much looking forward to a romantic dinner at one of the two beachfront tables, which we tried to reserve a couple of times. However, we were disappointed one night when we arrived to a perfect clear evening with not a breath of wind, to be told that the table we had reserved hadn’t been set due to a "change in the weather" earlier in the afternoon. The staff were referring to a seasonal shower at 4PM that afternoon which had lasted only 10 minutes and was followed by sunshine and a beautiful sunset. To us this seemed a bit more like the staff wanting to keep us close to the kitchen so they didn't have to walk as far. We felt they really could have been more flexible given dinner starts at 7PM and offered plenty of time to set-up outside.

Other highlights:
- We have to also agree that the daily cookie delivery to our room was a yummy treat and one we looked forward to!!

- We recommend taking the snorkelling tour out to the Castaway reef wall – there is so much amazing coral and fish to see out there!

- Also, take a walk around to Malolo Island one afternoon, you can also find ice creams for sale here :)

- Loved the no kids policy - our ferry tranfer on the way home reminded us why this is the best option for a peaceful and relaxing honeymoon

Enjoy!!!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoamingRach
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Flying into Likuliku by helicopter was jaw-droppingly beautiful. We were literally stunned by how amazing it looked and spent the first part of our arrival chuckling to ourselves in disbelief. If you could dream up a lagoon-style, tropical bliss, this would be it.

This is a protected marine park. This means an abundance of pretty fish and coral. It is a lagoon, so as many reviews state, it’s very tidal. We didn’t find this to be a problem and it only enhanced the environment in our eyes. And the tide is only fully out for such a short period of time, it’s not worth worrying about.

We stayed in an Overwater Bure for the most part of our trip, but moved to a Deluxe Beachfront Villa for the latter part because they were too busy at the time of our booking. This proved to be a blessing in disguise as both rooms had their positives.

The overwater Bures are ridiculous. There’s just no other way of describing them. They’re huge. Their bathrooms are lavish and well appointed (the enormous egg bath was a highlight). Their bedrooms are luxurious and the views from anywhere within are stunning. Your deck area is the ultimate place to whittle away a few hours sunbaking and provides the best platform for you regular snorkelling expeditions. They’ve even provided lights under your bure to attract the fish while you view them through your glass floor panels in the evening.

Part of the Overwater Bure service is canapés, delivered at 5pm every night. These could be anything from a cheese platter to fresh oysters. It’s a very nice touch, and all that sunbaking works up a good appetite.

We were sad to leave our Overwater Bure, but the Deluxe Beachfront Bure turned out to be special in their own way and arguably more private. Each of these had a huge bedroom, living, wardrobe area, bathroom, and tranquil outdoor shower. They also have their own plunge pool, deck area and an adjoining outdoor daybed shack where you can roll down blinds for even more privacy...

The restaurant is romantic and just what you’d expect from a high-end tropical resort. By nightfall, they’ve lit all of the oil lamps, which brings on a slightly tribal feel. The food is great – but nowhere near the standard we expected. The breakfasts were fabulous and offered an amazing spread of food, including all the usuals, but also some extras like a juicer with a myriad of fruit to make you own concoctions, and a separate menu of eggs, pancakes etc.

One big (and unfortunate) gripe from us, is that there’s no room service. Repeat: No room service. I wasn’t aware of any world-class resort not offering even a limited selection of food for in-room dining, but here you go. This wouldn’t normally be such a big problem for us, however we found eating at the same place for all three meals, every day, got a bit long in the tooth.

The other small gripe, (and I’m sorry to even mention it because Likuliku is so amazing) is that the spa didn’t blow me away. I love spas. They love me. However, this spa was not world-class in most ways. They don’t offer a wide range of services (i.e. no nails!) and the services they do provide felt a bit unpolished (pardon the pun). I’m a hard task master with all things spa related, but when I have to ask my beautician during my facial to “please re-close the curtain and stop signalling/talking to your friends on the beach outside”, I’m really unimpressed. The management kindly took my comments on our departing ‘please let us know how we were’ slip seriously and told us that the staff member had been spoken to, but the damage had been done unfortunately.

On another note, the general staff were all super friendly and accommodating. Most knew you by name by the end, and they tried to remember your preferences (hubby likes Tomato sauce with his eggs and they brought it to him most mornings without him having to ask).

I’d definitely recommend Likuliku to other Honeymooners – you really could imagine a better place to soak up the sun in style.

4  Thank Clumsle
Reviewed November 10, 2010

We stayed at Likuliku for 5 nights at the end of our honeymoon trip to New Zealand and Fiji. Our stay was divided between 2 nights in a deluxe beachfront bure (no.41) and 3 nights in an overwater bure (no.3). The place is heavenly. The quality of the accommodation is first rate - huge, stately rooms, but which manage to retain the charm and feel of the island. There are plenty of little touches that make a huge difference, such as outdoor shower, daily cookies delivered by 'the cookie man'. The owners and management have also given real thought to making this secluded and setting the right tone for a resort geared for couples (there are no children at Likuliku). The food is exceptional and the man and wife head chef team is a terrific asset to the resort. Whether breakfast, lunch or dinner, we loved everything we had and the portions are sized so well that even though you are having 3 full meals a day, you never feel bloated or over-full. There is a terrific range of activities to choose from, or you can just snorkel in and around the resort in the warmest of water with beautiful coral and fish to look at. As others have said, though, the best thing by far about Likuliku is the incredible staff. We have never experienced such effortless and heartfelt hospitality - you cannot help but wear a smile from ear to ear at Likuliku and the people there have left a lasting impression on us. We would recommend Likuliku to anyone visiting Fiji. We would also highly recommend organising one of the chartered transfer options (helicopter, speedboat etc), as the ferry/catamaran takes 2-2.5 hours, as Likuliku is the last stop. By comparison, the speedboat takes c.40 mins from the harbour and the helicopter is about 10 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Barney033
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this resort for 3 nights in October 2010. The resort is beautiful and the staff are very friendly. We enjoyed the food and the activities. We did lots of snorkelling and swimming. My husband went deep sea fishing. I did have one treatment at the day spa which was lovely. The spa is not that flash but products are good and so were the therapists. Our room was great. We stayed in a garden bure (the cheapest room type) and it was fine. The difference between garden and beach bure is literally about 10 meters from the beach front. We still had sea views and we didn't miss the plunge pool really, the main is so lovely, you don't really need one. The outdoor shower/bathroom is unreal!! Would certainly stay here again, we loved it!

3  Thank BubaG
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This is the first time I've ever been compelled to write a review. My husband and I stayed at Likuliku for 4 nights/5 days in October that started with my actual birthday. From the minute we stepped onto the dock until the moment we left, I cannot say enough for the staff of Likuliku. They were the warmest, friendliest, most welcoming people I've come across on any of our trips around the world.

Also, I cannot say enough about the chefs. The food was AMAZING. Perfect portions so that I didn't ever feel full to bursting. My favourite night was the Indian-themed night (Sunday) which I felt had a wonderful sampling of Indian-style food without being overpowering for those who might not like it. (I happen to LOVE Indian food.)

I will caution, however, for those who like to spend their entire vacation eating, you don't really have that option at Likuliku. Meals (breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner) are served at certain times of the day only. And, there is no room service (except for cases of illness) nor other restaurant options. At first, that sort of bothered me, but believe me by the end of our stay I was happy for it - not only was the food delicious, but it gave us the opportunity leave the room and to meet or chat with people that we otherwise might not have seen during the day.

We stayed in the beachfront bure and it is gorgeous. The outdoor shower is cleaned meticulously and the water is warm. We happened to arrive shortly after an unseasonably rainy week and there were a lot of mosquitos, but the hotel provided ample mosquito repellant and in-room mosquito machines.

The in-room amenities were all nice touches, such as free wi-fi, (be advised, no TVs), fresh-baked cookies every day, lots of Fiji water, snorkel gear that you keep for your entire stay. The hotel library was nicely stocked with a variety of books in many languages, each stamped with a nice reminder to leave the books for all guests.

The beach water was like bathwater, wonderfully warm and alive with sea life. As I'm from the Caribbean and used to exceptionally crystal clear water, I was a little disappointed that the water wasn't clearer. But, still well worth the snorkel time and kayaking and swimming, etc. The pool is also very beautiful.

Lastly, this is the place to go for pure relaxation and enjoyment due to its idyllic setting and the added warmth of the staff. Probably perfect for honeymooners as that is the overwhelming plurality of guests. If you're on the adventurous side, fully explore excursion options as Likuliku is rather isolated from the mainland. There are some excursion options, but they're rather low-key and understated. Also, the gift shop/boutique is very small and not very extensive, so don't forget anything and if you do, forget about it! You won't miss it.

I cannot say enough about the majority of the staff. I've never felt so welcomed by strangers (and hotel staff, at that) as I did at Likuliku. Definitely highly recommended.

2  Thank JoMo1017
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We visited Likuliku on our Honeymoon in November 2009 and it was so much more than we hoped for - I'm happy to refer to the resort as heaven on earth! We were nervous before we arrived as it is quite expensive and we were worried we had gone a little too crazy with the holiday budget, but honestly it was worth every cent! We have started saving for our next holiday back! The staff were so amazing, especially in the restaurant as I suffer food allergies and they were remarkably helpful - every morning had prepared gluten free bread for me. The atmosphere of the whole resort was magical and relaxing. We stayed in a Deluxe Beachfront Buree and it was so lovely. We read that, due to tides, the over water bungalos didn't always have water under them all day, and we loved the idea of our own pool so we opted for accommodation on land. My husband an I couldn't reccommend this resort enough!! You have to try it!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Malolo Island Resort
Malolo Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island

Been to Likuliku Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!