“Honeymoon...amazing!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Malolo Island
Chicago
“Honeymoon...amazing!”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Beautiful Resort with very nice people that attend to your every need. I am a vegetarian and they always made sure I had something different to eat. I would like to visit their sister resort next time. The huts we stayed in were amazing, 10 steps and we were in the ocean.

Room Tip: Not overly crowded, nice and peaceful.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roshan P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

From the moment we arrived on Malolo Island we felt like we were in paradise. As our boat pulled into the jetty and we were greeted by Marion, Zac and their team we new we had chosen the right place to end our two week holiday in Fiji. Travelling with our two children (aged 4 & 6) we could have not been happier with this beautiful island. Rooms were spacious and clean with ceiling fans and air con. Staff were amazing and nothing was a problem, food was exceptional in all restaurants especially Treetops where we indulged in a couple of times without our children which was a real treat. Kids club was run by lovely, friendly and nurturing fijians who i felt totally at ease with leaving my kids with. Plenty of activities to do on the island and and day trips if you want to explore further islands nearby. Malolo we loved everything about you - see you in September!!!!

Room Tip: We loved our room (Room 2) which was situated just near the water sports hut was ideal for the kids...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Littlemissimoo1
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We recently stayed at Malolo for 4 nights in May. The island is beautiful but very small so if you don't like small it isn't for you. However, for us, a family with 3 young children, it was perfect. It has a nice beach, a bit rocky but beautiful clear water and good snorkelling if you swim out about 50 metres. It has 2 small pools which were fine for the kids but if the resort was full I am not sure if they would be adequate.
The boat shed has lots of great activities, two snorkelling trips a day, handline and outer reef fishing, village trips etc. Also lots of kayaks and catamarans for guests to use.
The two highlights of the island are the staff and the rooms. After being there half a day all the staff greet you and your kids by name! The service was one of the best I have experienced.
The kids club staff and the kids club were great. It is all open air under a big tree and has swings etc also. My kids normally wont even walk into a kids club, they didn't at the other 2 places we stayed, but at Malolo they loved it as it was very open, welcoming and a nice place to hang out. They do lots of Fijian activities like crab hunts, learning about the coral and reef, visits to the local school and village, etc.
The rooms are all beach bures, lovely and spacious inside and they have a great little verandah with comfy chairs, great for an afternoon drink while watching the sunset. They are all located very close to or on the beach under trees which was great for the kids to play while we relaxed.
The food at Malolo was good however I would not get the meal plan unless you eat ALOT! We spent about half what the meal plan would have costed for 5 of us. We only ate at the main restaurant once, the beach bar is were we ate most of our meals, more reasonable prices and right on the beach, again great for the kids!
The only grip I have with this beautiful place is that they only allow a family of five in one room if one is in a cot. So unfortunately we probably wont be back as next year my daughter will be 3 and need a bed. They have a family beach bure which sleeps 7 but at $1200 a night is out of reach for the average family. If they allow five in a deluxe beach bure (no matter what the age) we would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank KazzaSummer
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 27, 2014

As usual we read the reviews both good and bad before our trip and while we could see why some people did not like aspects of this resort, we on the other hand found extremely little we could fault here. The friendly and obliging staff stood head and shoulders above any resort we have been to anywhere in the world (and we have been to a fair few). I don't want to name them as there will be those that I overlooked but from the first "Bula" to the last "Moce", we felt we were staying with friends. We were always greeted by name, the staff almost could predict what we wanted and nothing was too much trouble. If I ever end up owning a resort, I want these people working there!

As for the resort itself, there was little wanting. I think it has successfully achieved the very fine balance between "family" and "escape" We were there over the peak Easter season and at no stage did it feel crowded or over run with kids. All the facilities including both pools were always freely available (no towels sunbathing on deck loungers here) and was in generally good repair. We noted that any breakages were fixed almost immediately. The bures were great and well serviced and all of them have an ocean view - although some closer to the beach then others. The selective wi fi hotspots were extremely well thought out and provided a perfect mix between remaining in touch but not keeping the kids away from screens. Same goes for the two TVs.

There is very little on the down side. Our teens complained about not being able to use the adults pool but then had just as much fun in the other pool and the sea anyway

Our family (including two mid teens) had one of the best holidays here we have ever had. Vinaka Vaka Levu!

Some tips for people thinking of staying here:
- Bring reef shoes as the sand can be quite coarse and bring lots of mozzie repellant
- Cost out the meal plan in advance. Our meals came to just over half what we would have paid had we been on a plan and we didn't limit ourselves to just sandwiches. There were people who said the meal plan worked for them.
- Meals and drinks are on the pricey side - but very adequately catered. On the other hand the motorised activities were a bit cheaper than elsewhere
- Do the walks around the island. Hilly, but worth it.
- The Deluxe bure is much better than the standard version if you have teens plus staying with you. The extra space you get makes a big difference if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Lower numbered rooms are closer to the action and less of a walk. Higher numbered rooms are more se...
7 Thank Kiwilah
The Entrance, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2014

There are some wonderful aspects to this resort:
The resort buildings are new and gorgeous
The rooms are spacious and well suited to families (it is great to see a resort that has planned well for children sharing a room with their parents without compromising on the overall layout of the room)
The children's/family pool is nice
The kids club looked fantastic (our children did not attend) - perfect for 2-8 year olds (of which there were plenty at the resort)
The spa is lovely
The food was great (if a little limited with the same menu for lunch and dinner at the beach bar)
Well maintained free water equipment - including stand up paddle boards
Lots of hammocks around for relaxing

But...........
The staff were professional and well trained to the point that I felt they lost the casual, friendless that I have come to expect in Fiji. Don't get me wrong, there were no issues, certainly no Fiji time here but it just felt a bit controlled, like there is a line that the staff are not allowed to cross in their interactions with guests. A suggestion.... perhaps allocating staff to particular tables in the bar would elimate the need to be continually asked your room number and for you order (which generally happened 4-5 times each time you sat down)
The resort has an adults only pool, which is beautiful with padded day beds and sun loungers (not sure why those enjoying their children's company at the family pool did not get the padded sun loungers, uncomfortable plastic ones there) but hardly anyone used the adults pool and bar, it seemed like such a waste!
The beach was a bit of a let own for me (not the fault of the resort I know) but it was rocky up the end where our room was (30+) and unusable at low tide. The section near the bar area was better but still not the best beach, in my opinion. Again, uncomfortable plastic loungers on the beach.
I felt a little bit closed in with the resort situated on a narrow strip of land between a hill and the water, there is a narrow path to walk along to access the rooms further along, just my opinion of course but I felt the rooms were quite close together, which meant lots of people along this narrow strip. Having said that, the rooms are well insulated and we did not hear our adjoining neighbours at all.

Overall:
I would recommed this resort for families with young children who want an easy holiday with the expectation that service will be similar to home.
I would not recommend for couples (way too many kids, although that might be different at other times of the year) or families wanting a "Fijian experience" as in my opinion, the experience here is not particularly related to the Fijian culture at all, as good as it might be, there are other places that feel more authentic.

Room Tip: All rooms are close to the water, lower numbered rooms are closer to the bar/kids club etc
4 Thank klh75
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Take me back to Malolo... I have to admit I cried a little as our boat pulled away to take us back to the mainland. I haven't been to Fiji since I was a child so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Hubby's only job was to plan the honeymoon and he couldn't have done better if he tried!! We stayed in the Tadra Beach Bure which is at the end of the beach and about a 100m walk from the main part of the resort. The bure was amazing and you could literally walk off the verandah onto the beach and the reef. Hubby took to snorkeling at 6am instead of waking me up which was nice. Housekeeping were amazing with cleaning the room

It's the staff that make Malolo amazing there is nothing that they wont do! Freddie is the man and can help you with absolutely anything and do it with a smile :)

We didn't get the meal plan and ate most meals at the beach bar purely because it was cheaper. I was a little shocked at how expensive everything was to be honest I strongly suggest purchasing some nibbles and alcohol at Denaurau before you head to Malolo.

My hubby is a keen fisherman so we headed out at 5am to go trawling for big fish. In 3 hours we had one big bite and that was it. Apparently that is unusual so I wouldn't put anyone off going.

I guess our only issue was that the resort was full of families. When we booked and hubby read reviews it didn't seem like that would be the case but we were the only couple on the island without children. In saying that the kids looked like they were having a great time.

We will definitely be headed back to Malolo hopefully one day soon with our own kids in tow :)

Oh and get to happy hour at 5.30!!! the sunset is amazing!!! :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My family (myself, husband, 2 boys aged 5 & 7 and 3 grandparents) recently spent 10 days at this Magnificent Resort.

From the minute you arrive and are greeted with the beautiful welcome song, you are "welcomed home". This resort is breath-taking with majority of the Bures having an ocean view. It is situated on a coral reef with much wildlife to see. The air-conditioned Bures are just beautiful - so clean and beautifully decorated.

Be prepared to say many a "Bula" as staff greet you by name. We loved that this is quite a small resort as even at 90%capacity, there was always a spot around the pool, in the restaurant or at the Beach Bar.

Our kids had an amazing time at Kids Club! Each day they had a great range of activities and my boys have taken away some wonderful memories. Finishing off each day with beach games, was truly lovely.

The range of activities is vast - most of it free - only the motorised sports and boating trips cost money. I love that you can do as much or as little as you like at Malolo Island Resort. There are many a hammock to relax in also.

The food was great. We chose a 'Freedom of Choice' package (i.e. not a food plan) as we felt with our 2 boys who eat like sparrows, we wouldn't get the full value of the meal plans. For those who do like eating 3 big meals a day however, the meal plan allows you to eat at any of the 3 restaurants for the meals. We ate at the adults only restaurant (Tree tops I think it was) on the last night and wish that we'd eaten there more often. 5 star dining at reasonable prices!!! Definitely do yourself a favour and try it early in your trip to compare. Otherwise, most of our lunches and meals were at the Beach Bar. Simple yet tasty meals can be had here and I can highly recommend the 'Angry Fijian' and 'Malumu' cocktails at Happy Hour! The evening games at the Beach Bar are a bit of fun too (thanks Freddy & Kali!)

Last but not least, the Day Spa - Leilani's. What a gorgeous rainforest backdrop this day spa has in its open rooms. They even have 15 minute kids massages (as well as other kids services) for the littlies to experience a little indulgence also. The staff here are just lovely.

A few things I didn't know before coming here: Free wifi is available at various spots in the resort and the water is safe to drink.

So, if you haven't gathered by now, every single one of us - young and old - enjoyed this spectacular resort. We cannot wait to come back again and visit.

A special thank you to Tima, Alessa, Titi, Tiato, Kali, Freddy, Keli, Asa, Essa & the wonderful Manager, Marion, who particularly stood out to us. Every single staff member was amazing, though there are always a few who particularly stand out. Thank you so much for giving us such a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bure 13 which was an excellent spot - close to everything with 2 hammocks right out the...
2 Thank Karla J
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Musket Cove Island Resort
Musket Cove Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island

Been to Malolo Island Resort? Share your experiences!