“The Party Don't Stop”

Beachcomber Island Resort
Nadi, Fiji
“The Party Don't Stop”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

SO I went to Beachcomber Island for the New Year Bash, at Beachcomber everyday is new year, so you could imagine an actual celebration.

The boat which we went in is very turned down, and also the service at the airport office is very poor, the staff was fussing with me.

The food was average, and there needs to be an order in the food line, and the purpose of buffet is all you can eat, and not the staff serving you.

The party was good, very good, I loved the competitions especially Limbo, Mama Lesi really knows how to entertain people.

It was all dancing on table tops and party till you drop, the boat left Denarau Marina at 6pm and we arrived back at Denarau at almost 4, which was good, we partied from dusk to dawn.

One slight problem there are too many prostitutes who go there, so I wouldn't recommend children.

Previously I went to South Sea Island for a day cruise on New Years eve, and the staff were drunk, but at Beachcomber, the staff were sober and had full control of the situation.

There needs to be a swimming pool on the Island and they should change their boat, they had a good catamaran before till they bought the silver water taxis.

This is my third time visit, the first time I didn't like the Island at all, but for the past two visits I LOVE IT

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
BIR_Manager, Manager at Beachcomber Island Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Bula AAbhishay
Thanks for posting your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the party and that you have loved your last two visits. We have noted your comments on some of the areas where improvement can be made and continue to improve all areas of the resort.
We hope to see you again for New Year's next year.
Vinaka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

its been 14 years since I had ben to beachcomber, I reguarly made the trip to the party island wiht my two best mates after school, in 2005, for 5 consecutive years, now 14 years later and being back in fiji for a holiday i wanted my wofe to experience the "beachcomber" experience. Everything is pretty much the same, its like time stood still, the biggest thing that was missing though was that fijian touch that I came to love about the place, I have read the mixed revews of Beachcomber, and I can say most of the reviews are not warranted, if you are after a 5 star resort, with A grade facilities than this is not the place for you , nor has it ever been, But if you want to party in paradise, as it promots then its for you however I feel its lost its way a little in this regard.

I used to love the live band, and how the live band made it a mission to get everyone to know eachother, I was very dissapointed to see it had be replaced by a pre recorded DJ, it kinda felt like a nightclub from home which was not the experience I was looking for,

When we arrived I sensed Low Morale form teh staff soemthing that was strange seeing the Fijian Bula trait was what I loved about the place, There seems to be new owners trying to save a buck and employing a skeleton crew to staff the place ( which amazes me considering what they charge and wht they pay the poor Fijians in Salaries ) . We stayed in a Beachfront Bure , which was nice, however you could see that not a cent had been spent on them in the 14 years I had been away, I tried to make a morning coffee only to find that the Kettle coil was rusted and my coffee tasted like Rust, not somethign you expect when paying $250 A night.

We tried to get a massage only to find out that there was only one massage person available and the other was on holiday break ( in the peak Holiday season this was just crazy )

It seemd to me that the staff have been directed to make money rather than fun, everythign was about squeezing the extra dollar,

Overall , I was Disspaointed with my return, I had so many fond memories, and every year the staff felt like family, the band woudl get everyoen going and by the end of the night, you knew weveryone on the island.

I read peopel complaining about the food, but I could not fault the food, its authentic Fijian, yes its cafateria style, and has a homestyle touch, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Im sure the fonder of this great resort the famous "Dan Costello" woudl be rolling in his grave seeing what has eben done to the place.

A final note goes to management, dont be penny wise and pound foolish ! get soem more staff on the ground, get the live band back, if yo are goign to charge for a fijian experience do so, there was a reason I went back 5 years in a row as a younger guy, and there is also a reason I wont be returning until, it goes back to the old ways, As they say if something is not broke, dont fix it, and level let a authentic experience become a commercial enterpirce, somethign that management has seemed to do .

Room Tip: If you can t stand the heat dont go, there is no aircon in the bure rooms, No T.V, Just basic fijian...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bula Rodney,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Whilst you have some mixed feedback, it is good to hear that you can't fault the food. At present the staff compliment is at the same level as before and we have nearly ironed out any remaining issues after having been closed for most of the year and the overwhelming feedback is that Beachcomber is better than before.
Fiji
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Looking for a place to kick back and party, Beachcomber is most definitely the spot to do it! A day trip isnt merely enough, two nights at least, one to party it up, and the other to get over it! ;-) Head out with friends you will leave with a little more of what you arrived with! Note to self! Keep hydrated, Accommodation to suit everyone's needs, dont be too fussed, you'll hardly ever be in the room, beach, sun, ocean and BAR! Sand at your feet the whole time you are there apart from being in your room! Great for groups who want to live it up or be minimalist and dress it down. Cici Macawa - Bottoms Up!

Room Tip: Dorm rooms available, the private Bures are the way to go.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bula Dennis,
Thank you for a great review and it was our pleasure having you with us.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

I recently was at the Beachcomber Island it was great,relaxed and chilled. Sun,sand and swimming in clear crystal water by day , party and songs by night. I was there as part of a package staying at the Anchorage Beach Resort ,.Definitely. ...... go fish feeding...totally amazing the colours of the fish are spectacular..wear sunscreen and a hat while playing beach volleyball or you'll end up like me a little sore. The food was good ,a buffet heaps of it and the bar is cool with the sand floor. Worth a visit/stay.

• Stayed December 2013
Bula Kathryn,
Thank you for your warm review. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed everything that makes Beachcomber well...Beachcomber!
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

13 of us went just for a day trip including 2 little children. Upon arrival found out the island was closed for months and just have been opened. Our trip included morning and afternoon tea. In the morning no morning tea was provided and were told that some misleading information was provided to us.Had to pay of all other activities. Lunch was served with no juice. We were ask to buy the juice and before the afternoon tea the boat was ready to ship us down to the base. Worst trip ever and will never recommend anyone to go here. It was just waste of money and time. Please do not go there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank aross184

Travelers are raving about these Beachcomber Island hotels

Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed December 13, 2013

As part of my accommodation package with Anchorage Beach Resort was a day trip for 2 to Beachcomber Island. When we arrived we learnt the resort had only been open for about a week as it had been closed for several months from the damage of Cyclone Evan. In the morning we all went snorkeling. I bought my own gear but you can hire it which is refunded at the end of the day. There was a BBQ buffet. It was simple but nice. It doesn't take long to walk around the island but have footwear as the coral is pretty rough. In the afternoon we went snorkeling which was so much fun as the staff gave us bread to feed the fish. When we were there is was peaceful. It was a great day trip.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kiwishells
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed December 13, 2013

When I first arrived to the Beachcomber Island Resort it looked quiet beautiful. The island was small and there were palm trees everywhere. Two locals were playing guitar and singing when we arrived to the island. But when we went to the reception we saw some people hanging around the bar and they were looking kinda bored or desperate. The staff in the reception was mostly unfriendly and they were working like in slow motion. It took them 2 hours to check us in and to bring us to our room. We booked the normal double bed room what we changed at the same day as it was too small and too bad for the price we paid! So we upgraded our room for another $60 / night and the other room wasn't even better. The only thing that was better was the beautiful ocean-view. All in all we booked a room for 5 days but we left after 2 days because it was a horrible time we had those two days. Some people might think that it's not true what I am writing but we met about 6 people who also booked for 5 days and they left the same day they had arrived!

ACCOMODATION:
We had one of the most expensive rooms (Ocean-View Room). There was no Air-conditioner only a fan what was really broken and I thought it will break off when i turned it on. The shower was really bad, i touched the shower head and it broke off so I wasn't able to use it the next day... The door to the toilet was not close-able so when you were sitting on the toilet everbody in your room could see you. All the doors (main and garden door) were really hard to close.

FOOD:
It was the worst I have eaten for quiet a while. The food was the same everyday. We had the same for breakfast every morning and the same for lunch and dinner everyday. The meat was dry as, it was really hard to chew it and it stunk horrible. There wasnt too much to eat as it was only a small buffet for about 40 people. All the food tasted like it was made out of cans.My mum stopped eating after the first day because she felt really sick. BUT there was a small "Cafe" next to the Watersport office where the food was really cheap but it tasted a hundred times better than the one from the buffet!

BEACH:
We choose the island because we wanted a nice sandy beach with nice and clear water for snorkling and swimming and that was one of the main reasons why we left early. The beach was full with stones and huge rocks so it was hard to get into the water and to swim. There was a big amount of alga at the beach so it stunk pretty bad and i wasnt really able to enjoy staying at the beach. Once you got into the water it was clear and warm so thats good but as i said it is really hard to get into it. There were also a lot of palm trees what were burned or something so the view we had from our hammok wasn't as nice as we imagined.

STAFF:
There were a few unfriendly stuff members but also a lot of nice and friendly ones. The entertainers were only entertaining the people when a new boat with new tourist arrived to show them how much fun you can have on the island. After they checked in the music went out and everybody was bored again.

This text might seem harsh but I just wanted to warn you that the beachcomber island resort is a nice place for backpackers and for a MAXIMUM of two nights but for everybody else its not worth the money! They dont have any nice trips to other islands so you are just stuck on the island and you cant do anything.

Room Tip: You should not book your honeymoons here and you should definitily not stay longer than 1-2 days or...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Treasure Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Treasure Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki ...
#2 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Plantation Island Resort
Plantation Island Resort
#3 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island

Been to Beachcomber Island Resort? Share your experiences!