“nice bure, great diving, funny place”

Beachcomber Island Resort
Reviewed July 11, 2008

You better know what you are getting into before you arrive at Beachcomber. We had chartered a 50 ft sailboat the year before and heard all the stories of Beachcomber being a "party" place. Since they had a well managed dive program run by Subsurface we decided to make it a week of diving. We got the nicest beach bure away from the main building and settled in to 3 dives a day.

Our beach bure was a bargain since similar bures that go for $700 a night on other islands. But this is a backpackers resort so most guests pack into the grand bure and party. The food provided was local and fine for me being a vegetarian but fancy it's not. Service is in the sand at long communal tables ala summer camp.

Our thatched roof bure was oceanfront with a nice deck and umbrella. Plenty of room for our dive gear and a small fridge to keep cold beer. The attraction here is the great diving and that will not disappoint. If you don't dive and aren't looking to party there's not much else to do. We had a great time but be careful and read these reviews!

Stayed: March 2007

Reviewed March 17, 2008

This is a place to do a few water sports, meet new people, and not feel stupid for dancing to a macarena-inspired dance every night!

Beachcomber is not somewhere I would recommend for Honeymooners (unless your on a budget) as I found it more backpacker/singles orientated. When we first arrived we were ready to leave. The room was the main culprit for this. We ended up staying and the day we left we were about ready to cry. We made some friends with fellow travellers and staff and wanted to stay another week! All I can say is give it a day and you'll be hooked.

ACCOMODATION: We stayed in the premium bure. In all honesty, I wouldn't get it again. The standard rooms looked better than this one did! We had all sorts of creatures in our room, found black poo on pillows, mugs, floors, shoulders! After it rained there one of our suitcases were soaked as the roof leaked! The toilet smelt so bad it was dry-heave worthy. Not to mention the little dead flies all over the toilet and area. AND this was the premium for the island. Tales of Mice crawling all around the dorms were told. I only saw one mouse and that was the one being carried in the beak of one of the resident birds through the eating area. :)

FOOD: Well we ate two meals in 4 days. But we are picky girls. It was very much like Camp food I found, in the way that you have to stand in a line for a good 15 minutes if your not quick and that its served in big trays and rationed to you. But hey! you don't come here for the food!

ACTIVITIES: We didn't do as much as we could have but we did snorkel around the island (which we found great and even saw a shark!) para-sail, fish feeding, snorkeling by boat.

BEACH: The water around was pretty nice. Not the best i have seen but better than most other islands. Easy-level snorkeling. One thing I could not handle were the sand-flies! Urgk! In the millions around you! Also one thing that is a real off-puter is the STENCH that comes from the corner of the island where the helicopter lands. Its a smell mixture of sewerage and garbage! But as long as you stay away from that general area. Your good!
GET USED TO SAND: Its everywhere! You'll work up some killer calves by the end of your trip though ;)

STAFF: WE came from Mana which has the staff of angels. So were a little off about the staff when we first arrived. The lady who showed us to our room stood there and waited for her tip even showing us the bathroom twice. Im all for giving tips to those who go out of their way to help and would have been happier to extra-tip the guy that brought our very heavy luggage through the sand! Otherwise the people at the bar were generally ok. The band and lead MC (lack of better word) (the 'how u doin' guy) were great. The guys at the boat bure were entertaining and we would always leave laughing. One of the diving guys was very 'friendly'. The tour person seemed to be very busy talking to friends on the phone and kept us waiting 10 minutes which i found a little strange.

BAR/ NIGHTLIFE: So its no pub in the city in regards to the bar closing at 11pm or 12am? But its as simple as get there earlier (after dinner) and its plenty of time. Besides you are able to bring your own drinks down but ONLY AFTER the bar is closed (which i say is fair). Commercial pop plays after the band have finished. Its just a laid-back social affair. Some people talk, some dance, some sing, some play cards, some make-out. Papa Joe is there with Kava for F$1 if your in the mood.

CONCLUSION: If your looking for a beautiful, relaxing, quiet, serene getaway...this is not the place for it! But if you want a bit of fun and want to do activities more than sunbaking I would go here! Its no 5-star resort thats for sure. I like to think of it as CAMP for Adults.
Would I come here for a honeymoon: No
Would I come here with kids: No
Would I come here as a single/girls-boys getaway: Hell YES!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2008

It is a teeny weeny island with hardly anything to do. If you want activities most of them are off the island.
When we stayed workman set up not far from our room and we were woken up early every morning to the sound of hammers & power tools - no sleep ins on holiday, how cruel!
Totally infested by mosquitoes, they took measures to curb them but it was still really bad as the accommodation is surrounded by greenery.
The accommodation was set behind the kitchen and so everything always smelt like cooking fat.
The food was terrible, no menu they cook it up and hopefully it's something you want. It was quite fatty & they fry their food in fat which has a sweet tang to it so even that was yuck.
We were concerned with the lack of hygiene at the bar. The cups provided with the jugs of water on the bar aren't cleaned properly. Many times I watched the barman take dirty ones, slop some water over them and return them onto the tray as 'clean'.
Hepatitis and meningitis are very easily transferred through dirty glassware & the lack of hygiene at the bar could easily spread these diseases amongst the guests - it is even more likely due to the international mix of the guests. They had a steraliser just didn't bother to use it! I voiced my concerns but they fell on deaf ears.
The hotel style accommodation is small and shabby & every evening someone comes in turns down your bed, shuts all the windows & turns off the fan. In tropical heat how is that sensible?! We would return to our room all closed up and it was like entering an oven.
I've been to Fiji before & had a great holiday so I did have something to compare this to. Beachcomber resort was total crap & we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Honestly, I need a holiday after my holiday!

Admittedly we went in cyclone season but when the water sports were cancelled and the sea too rough to swim in, there was NOTHING to do on the island (which you can walk completely around in 10mins with a broken toe!).

The food was atrocious, like being at a school camp only worse and you could only eat (without having to pay for a toasted sandwich) during the set meal times!!

The accommodation was VERY average, especially for the price that you pay to stay there. Then when our jet cat was cancelled because of rough seas and we couldn’t get off the island the staff were completely incompetent, rude and unhelpful. Thank god for the diving instructors (especially Mark) who are contractors and don’t work for beachcomber, they got 10 of us off the island by speed boat at 5am so that we could make our flights! I have never wanted to get home from a holiday as badly as I did while at Beachcomber Island!!

Mice were running freely around the bar and “Fiji time” was fast paced compared to the speed of the staff on this island!

Over all my recommendation is DO NOT go there! Complete disappointment!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Stayed at Beachcomber for 3 nights in the Dorms wish I had stayed longer, fantastic bunch of people, the staff were amazing so friendly and always had a smile on their faces, food was good so was the entertainment.. Papa Jo to the Bar.. I will definately be going back had the best time

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Beachcomber in late June 2007. We had a lovely time!

Pros:
the price - you can't beat it
staff - were all kind and helpful
snorkeling - beautiful, can do it right off the beach (watch for sharks)
scuba diving - did the discovery dive (now we want to be certified); our instructor was awesome (he coached me through some freak-outs during pool instruction)

Cons:
the beach - not really as clean and pristine as we expected a Fijian beach to be, but didn't ruin our trip
the flies - little black flies bothered us when we were laying out
the food - got old, as they served variations of the same thing every meal
age of the guests - I felt old and I'm only 26.
water pressure - non-existent

Although the cons list is longer than the pros, we had a great time and would recommend this resort to young, single travellers. Next time, my husband and I will probably spend a little more and stay at a more "upscale" resort.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ARR-JAR
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I stayed in this resort and the service was shocking. Instead of serving people drinks in the bar, the barmen were getting upto mischief, preferring to drink cherry cokes behind the counter and laugh amongst themselves than to get off their fat horses and attend to paying customers. Mice enjoyed free accommodation in guests’ backpacks, internet was an extortionate $30 per hour, and the bar shut at 12am – so much for a party island!

A word must go out to the island’s doctor, who liked to be called Ken. He was super slow. He was more interested in seeing how many Fijian Bitters he could drink during his day shift than attending to a young girl who’s finger was pooring with blood after an altercation with some coral.

If you like slow service (which takes ‘Fijian time’ to a new extreme), expensive living conditions, and smelly living creatures, then by all means stay here. If you don’t, then I shall certainly recommend you stay at Kim’s island instead, only 3 hours north by boat.

Stayed: June 2007
11 mi away
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Beachcomber Island Resort? Share your experiences!