“Relaxing Fiji holiday”

Beachcomber Island Resort
Bay of Plenty
“Relaxing Fiji holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We spent four nights on Beachcomber Island and enjoyed every minute!

Stunning beach and scenery. Small island can be walked around in 10-15 mins.

Option to join in and do activities and party up or sit back, relax and do nothing.

Different types of accommodation from dormitory to beach front bures. Some families on the island.

Music does play until early morning so if you are sensitive to sound, ask for a bure on the other side of island.

Nice snorkelling and opportunities to do island hopping day trip and visit to local Village and school.

Tip: When in Fiji islands forget the time! Things happen Fiji time and there is no rush - so relax and enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for bure over other side of island if sensitive to music being played late at night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Catherine S
Resort_Manager161, General Manager at Beachcomber Island Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Bula Catherine,
As the most recent guest who has posted a wonderful review, Vinaka vaka levu and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed every minute of your stay and it is a positive reflection that recent changes are bringing the Beachcomber product back to where it has always been.
We look forward to welcoming you back as a well traveled guest that has enjoyed the 'new' Beachcomber.
Vinaka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just been 1 day in beachcomber and it was enough..Not much to do and not as good as some other islands..Lack of activities or welcome of the guests...Not much is offered and it is all about business. Island look great but if you are a family and backpacker you have some other choice...Nothing special there:(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bula,
Thank you for your subjective review. Beachcomber is happy to announce that Mary Rose has taken over the role of Manager from Nemia Marama. Mary is enthusiastically restoring the Beachcomber product back to its world class status and has revived many of the special activities that Beachcomber is so well known for. The party atmosphere is back, the food quality has dramatically improved, there are activities aplenty and the current staff are energized under the new management and leadership of Mary. Along with being well known around other resorts from the positions she has previously held, Mary brings with her freshness, energy and commitment to pleasing all visitors to Beachcomber.
There is a new Beach Wing under construction that will be ready by Christmas which will offer a new accommodation type to Beachcomber’s existing ability to cater for guests of all types. Also there is renovation and other works under way that will ensure that the expectations of all guests are exceeded.
Welcome back to the ‘new’ Beachcomber of old. Where it is so easy to get to and so very hard to leave and the party is on!

Travelers are raving about these Beachcomber Island hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Where do I begin, booking beachcomber our flight agent referred to it as the party island and me and my partner are in our mid 20's we thought to mix our 2 week trip up we will go to beachcomber.
ARRIVING:
We where greated by the beautiful Monica, who to say the least should manage the place and she pretty much does everything around the island and always doing things with a smile. To be honest our room was very disappointing no air con we had 2 single beds which we had to push together, BED BUGS which was very disturbing beachcombers method to this was once someone leaves air the beds on the balcony for a few hours. We where looking to upgrade to the beachfront rooms mostly to get the sea breeze and we where so hot in our room, as we where thinking of doing te upgrade we got talking to another couple who where in them rooms who showed all there bites all over there body and the empty wrappers left in there room from the mice that they are getting in their room.
FOOD:
Our food was included in our package to say the lease curry lunch and dinner for 4 days gets really boring and trying. Lucky we brought food with us to nibble on for lunch. We also brought our own water to cut cost at the island.
STRIKE/SACKING STAFF:
Day one of arriving we wake to no breakfast, bar closed, tried to do activities but that was all closed ask to get a massarge but no one to do that to hear people talking about staff on strike and staff getting fired. We sat there with no idea what was going on being on an Island with nothing not even the bar to get some water. The manager who will reunion the place stood there hands on hips with nothing to say. He is the worst person to be in a place like that his ego over rides the happy holiday feel.
NIGHTLIFE:
If it wasn't for Monica, Ace, Esy at the bar I wouldn't have a good thing to say about this place they where fun amazing and up to make us have as much fun as possible.
OVERALL:
Wouldn't go back in a hurry maybe once new management was to take over beachcomber will be able to live up to its name.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Symone28
Nelson, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had a day trip to Beachcomber the day that some of the staff were fired and other went on strike. We heard from guests of the resort that The managers were not letting people know what was going on.
We were so disappointed because it was our last day in Fiji and we had saved for such a long time to be able to make that dream trip out to an exotic island in Fiji.
The 3 positives are that we met some nice guests there, the Snorkelling guides were really nice and were very impressed with the one woman that seemed to be single handedly looking after everyone on the island. But she looked a bit stressed poor thing and had tears in her eyes at the end of the day as she farewelled her former work mates as the were 'kicked' off the island.
We did enjoy lying on the beach and having a swim at high tide. It hurt our feet too much at low tide with all the coral - so had to take turns swimming wearing the crocs.
If you want to go to Beachcomber - find out what is going on with the staff and management first.
Oh and the food was bland. We went hungry the whole day as were weren't offered morning and arvo tea even though we had paid.

Room Tip: Had a peek at a room and it looked nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The "good" (sort of...)
The Beachcomber started out fine. Upon arrival the staff was welcoming and gave us a quick orientation to the island. This place is nothing special in the way of luxury. It's basically a backpacker resort, but offers private rooms and bures. It's not what I'd call a "family place" as it does have a reputation of being a Party Island. However there were about 50% families to 50% couples or singles. Very scenic and relaxing during the day. There was para-sailing($), jet skiing($), scuba($), snorkeling, and kayaking. A few nearby resorts bring guests over to do some of the activities. They advertise day trips for snorkeling and shopping but do have a minimum to make the trip worthwhile. Unfortunately, on the first day, the trips were cancelled due to lack of interest. BUMMER. Food was unremarkable. If I didn't like the mystery-meat stir fry, I'd survive on rice, bread, watermelon, and beer or bottled water from the bar. We were told breakfast was good but only had lunch and dinner (see below)

The BAD:
The nighttime party was a poor effort. Basically, someone put their iPod on shuffle and walked away and left us all to our own devices. The bartenders were adequate but few in number. Minimal staff were around after dinner and we learned why in the morning. Before we headed over to breakfast we stopped by reception to book the "seafari" tour. The front desk staff seemed panicked, overworked and there were multiple guests in the office with sour looking faces. When I finally had a chance to discuss the tour with staff, she informed the the tours were "on hold" because the staff went on STRIKE this morning. We later learned there were many disgruntled staff and some people had been fired without notice. She also informed me that there was no breakfast and did not know when food would become available. Flabbergasted, I headed over to the dining area to find several hungry guests and kids. Some people knew what was going on...others did not. One of the staff members finally handed us a loaf of bread to satiate our tummies. We offered to cook ourselves breakfast but were denied kitchen access. Several other guests were complaining about a severe ant problem and possible bed bugs (I heard three eye witness accounts but I never saw the bugs myself). One guest had about 75 painful bites on each leg, and they were suspicious looking. (I understand its an island but this was too much). We went back to take a shower to find the water was turned off. The manager was missing for about and hour and a half. At this point my friend and I decided we needed to leave and called into our travel insurance to make us a reservation elsewhere. Several (if not all) guests had also decided the same. We heard rumors of lunch being promised but when we questioned the staff on strike, they just smiled and laughed and shook their heads "no". As I was trying to gather my things from reception and settle my tab, I noted one new staff arriving from the Funky Fish resort, who was prompted toward the empty bar. They opened the bar (maybe trying to save face with the daytrippers?) but no food was offered to overnight guests.
Before I left I did converse with the manager Aaron Phillips to let him know we were leaving early because of the strike situation. I demanded he sign my "reciept"- a handwritten account of our bar tab and $30 phone call I made to my travel insurance company. I told him my travel insurance would be contacting him, to which he replied "yeah, probably." No apology, no explanation, or attempt to salvage our stay was made. We then saw white haired man come zooming up the beach to angrily demand to talk with the staff. We all had a big sigh of relief to be leaving that place because the tension was palpable. A ferry came at 11am and about 8 guests who had already paid for the next night were on it, with more people planning on bailing on the next boat.

This place needs some serious fumigation, someone to deep clean the kitchen, and and a new chef and manager. THE STAFF WHO STAYED AND HELPED THE GUESTS (as they were able to without getting in trouble) WERE AMAZING. The staff I interacted with were very friendly and polite. I hope The Beachcomber sorts out their problems so that future guests do not have the experience I did.

I was able to salvage my vacation somewhat but ended up staying in Port Denarau and missed out on all of my pure Fijian "island" time. Too bad because I don't know when I'll make it to this part of the world again :-(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Keri B
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Today the local manager of Beachcomber Island along with several other longstanding and dedicated members of staff were evicted from the resort as a result of the new management's enforcements. I have visited this beautiful Island 4 times in the past year and was planning a trip back in 2 months but now I am not so sure. As you will read in a large number of reviews on this island, the staff are "beautiful" and "wonderful" and, as far as my experiences, were the reason for my return on numerous occasions. I'm sure the new staff are adequately as professional however, no one can replace those who brought life to that place, the sand bar, the dance floor, the beach and the stage... Aaron Phillips please don't take the life and the atmosphere that is created by these special people slip from this idyllic destination. We want our island the way it was. We want to come back to be welcomed by a team of hardworking staff members who genuinely care for and want to ensure their guests will hold this tiny but special part of the world so close to their hearts. If the staff don't want to be there, then neither do we. Treat them fair and treat them right because they're the ones who know the island inside out. It belongs to them more than anyone else.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank islander481
Sunshine Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We arrived from Anchorage Beach Resort by boat transfer which took about half an hour. We had to wait a short while as we were an early check in. We were taken to our Ocean View Bure which was very adequate for our stay. We were so glad to have an Ocean View as we were in the western side of the island and in the afternoon heat we had about 15m of shady trees between us and the shoreline which kept the breezes cool and us shaded. The hammock was lovely. We knew it was a party island so asked for a bure that was as far away from the party as possible. Out of 5 nights we only were disturbed by some revelers on one night or should I say early morning. Not bad I thought. During the day water supply was interrupted but we had water when we needed. Any problems with the room were sorted out quick smart. I cannot say enough for the care and attention of the beautiful staff on the island. Loved the fact we didn't need shoes the whole time we were there. Soft sand everywhere. Got a work out walking through it. WE JUST HAD THE BEST TIME AND WOULD LOVE TO GO BACK.

Room Tip: You might want to bring your own drinking water though the desal water was ok.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelmad_11
NemiaMarama, Manager at Beachcomber Island Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Bula,
We are pleased to read your review as it encapsulates everything that makes Beachcomber what it is. Fantastic snorkeling, great food, great service and accommodates all sorts of travelers.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beachcomber Island
Likuliku Lagoon Resort
#1 of 3 in Malolo Island
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,315 reviews

Been to Beachcomber Island Resort? Share your experiences!