“A Home from Home in Fiji.”
Review of Papageno Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kadavu Island
Papageno Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kadavu Island
Oakville, Canada
“A Home from Home in Fiji.”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

From the moment my wife & I and two friends were picked up from Kadavu's Airport and taken by boat to Papageno, we knew were were in for a magical 3 nights. Elizabeth & Lydia met us on the Beach and after a very welcome Rum & Fresh Coconut Water drink we were introduced to our magnificent Bure which was reminiscent of a European Hunting Lodge.Our first meal was a superb Lunch & all others that followed were equally superb due to all the Homegrown ingredients,excellent kitchen staff & thoughtful waiter service. Although it was the Rainy Season we swam from the beautiful beach in the warm Ocean every day.Studied birds,walked to the Waterfall etc.,A great location for a true Fijian Kadavu Experience.
As a Birder I was captivated by my first endemic Kadavu Parrot (Lodge is named after Mozart's Parrot in the Opera "The Magic Flute"), and magical was our whole experience!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED..
Daphne & Derek Spindlow,Oakville,Ontario,Canada.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DDS66

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Innsbruck
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed there in August with a friend and we both enjoyed it very much. To get out of everyday´s life and find a place where you can relax and enjoy nature this is a really great place. You feel really welcome and are taken care for everything you need. Long walks along the beautiful coast or into the jungle can make free your mind. We enjoyed most of the time just being there, didn´t take all the advantages to snorkel or for kajaking cause we needed just to rest at this moment. Be away from every civilization was great for me and we also enjoyed the very excellent food, which is all organic, grown in the own garden. And its cooked with much love, which you can also taste and the table setting is unique!
We dropped a flower from our flower wreath, as we were told, when we left the resort, cause it´s said, that if it arrives the coast, you will come back. Hope it did so!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susanne T
Vienna
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The entire staff of Papagenos greeted us on our arrival. In the off season, we were the only guests at the resort, so we were just treated like family. It was an amazing experience! Personal tour of the resort, gardens, clinic and buildings, dinner with the staff, diving and fishing and attendance of the school pageant. What an amazing resort - do not miss it. The larger house with 4+ rooms is gorgeous, but I prefer the simplicity of the bures. And kava at night!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MeganEileen
Calgary
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our family (2 adults and 2 children ages 3 and 6) spent a week at Papageno this August. We had a fantastic time in this tropical paradise.

Let's start with the great stuff: amazingly friendly service, beautiful location, immaculate bure (we had an Oceanfront Bure which has a double and two singles with an enclosed porch where we read and played games in the evening after the kids had gone to bed), delicious food much of which is grown on site, outings were great (we did a village visit, waterfall hike, and snorkeling with manta rays (wow!!!) - all at extra but reasonable cost)

Challenges? None really but a couple of things you should be aware of. Firstly, as another reviewer commented, there are no facilities whatsoever for kids which was no issue for us as we are of the "nature is your playground" school and the beach is shallow and safe. Our two had fun on the beach with the friendly dogs and the staff were very accommodating of our fussy eater daughter while continuing to produce local delicacies for the rest of us. However, if you are looking for a constructed playground, toys, or a kids' club, this is not the right resort for you. Secondly the hot water was very inconsistent throughout the trip with an on-demand heater that switched on and off at random intervals or produced no heat at all. Frankly the weather was warm enough for us to make do with cold only but the inconsistency was mildly frustrating.

Highly recommend this location for anyone looking for an off-the-beaten track resort with great food and service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank David P
Sonyo, Manager at Papageno Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Papageno resort has a table tennis room, Volley ball area, soccer balls, kayaks and boogie
boards for out side fun.
We also offer baby sitting service with very well trained staff members for a small fee.
The children can use our children's play room. There are books, board games and art supplies
for hours of entertainment. We offered this service to the family, but they decided to keep their children with them.
The "acting up" water heater has been replaced.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I spent 5 nights at the papageno Resort in Kadavu (Fiji). It was the paradise!
I had a bure next to the beach, it's wonderful to wake up with the sound of the ocean and to see the sunrise in the background.
I was travelling alone, and could just relax. I was reading books in the hammock, listen to the ocean, watching the sea. The beach was awesome, the water was warm and the weather beautiful. In the moring after the breakfast I was walking along the beach with the dogs, you could go for a long walk. After that I was a little bit relaxing and then snorkeling. You can see so many different fishes and corals. And at high tide I was swimming.
The stuff was so friendly and helpful. The food was awesome! I love the food here! All the vegetable and fruits were from there garden. The fruits are so delicious!
And I love the big garden, with all the tropical plants, which I can't have at home.
All in all I had my dream holiday here! And I have to come back to that place!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cayucos, California
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had a wonderful visit to Papagano several years ago, and I was so happy to find that time had stopped and it was just as I had remembered it. The gardens are beautiful, the food was so good, and the beaches are pristine. The warm clear water provided beautiful snorkeling. Swimming with the giant manta rays was the high point, but I loved kayaking along the coast almost as much. Everyone was so friendly. I enjoyed the peaceful quiet evenings. The solar power provides for quiet electricity 24 hours a day. The bar was great and everyone had such a good time. I am looking forward to my next trip!

Room Tip: ask for the ocean front bure or room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed March 22, 2013

To describe it in one word: picture- perfect.

Waking up in a wonderful bure with nothing but the sound of the ocean wonderful. And so is the staff. Caring, considerate and always happy to help you.
Not to mention the food: traditional Fijian-style food cooked with loads of love. Even plentiful breakfast with fresh cut fruits such as coconut and papaya, eggs and a daily special could get you through the day. The sound of a drum calls you for lunch, tea time and dinner. The meals were always excellent and it was always nice to have a little chat with the managers Lydia or Elisabeth as well as our dive-instructor Miri. Taking diving classes was also a mind blowing experience because of the beautiful reef right off shore. If you don't dive, snorkeling or kayaking is a must!
Our bure was way more than we expected and is a home away from home. It was really big and amazingly comfortable with everything you needed. You could also drink the water right from the tab. Coming from a spring in the forest it was very tasty and refreshing.

Thank you again for an unforgettable week!

For all german speaking travelers an even more detailed review:

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oneta Resort
Oneta Resort
#2 of 3 in Ono Island
Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu

Been to Papageno Resort? Share your experiences!