All reviews main bure other guests dive master manta reef fish low tide dive staff local village dive sites organic garden world class cocktail hour great diving spent a week no electricity bug spray days diving
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My Husband and I stayed at the Matava November last year and I am counting down the time until we can get back there. I was certified as a scuba diver there and my teacher was brilliant! One on one training - what more could you ask for! The food was "to die for" and being a foodie didn’t expect such wonderful & new culinary delights!! Our Hostess with the mostess “Maggie” was so warm, friendly & funny I would go back just to spend another week with her! Love Ya Mags!!. The Directors Richard, Adrian & Stuart well who could ask for better people to get to know and enjoy such wonderful company with! Bula Guys!!
The accommodation was peaceful and comfortable and all the staff were fantastic! As a first time diver I couldn’t ask for a better place to learn to dive! Can’t wait to see you all again soon!
XOXOXOX JULIE & DAVID XOXOXOX

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank JulieNewcastleNSW
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I, admitted city slickers, were looking for an off the beaten path experience when you stopped in FIji for a week last summer on our way to Australia. A friend recommended Matava and we couldn't be happier with our experience. Unlike most people who visit Matava, we arrived as non-divers. We were thrilled with all the non-dive options, like the waterfall hike, beach picnic, kayaking and just general relaxing! We did decide to try our hand at diving one day and had expert instruction and a fantastic time. The staff at Matava is so genuine, friendly and competent. While the activities offered at Matava are a great draw, by far our favorite take-away from the experience was the people. We loved to gather with the other guests each evening and talk and laugh about the day by candle/lantern light. We can't wait to come back!!

Date of stay: June 2010
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katemarin
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Bulla to all at beautiful Matava Resort!

Thank you for making my week in particular the most relaxed time in the last 20 years, I am by nature usually unable to sit still for more than about half an hour. (Should be skinnier).

My visit has made me rethink what is truly important.

For me the week exceeded my expectations, which had been visualised from Sam’s excited descriptions, and you have a “SPECIAL” place in the sun.

Adrian, Richard and Jeannie, please pass on my best wishes to Ta, Maggie and Joe, as they with the support of all your staff made it memorable and a destination that I shall definitely recommend to others.

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed at the Matava eco resort for 4 days and it was one of the fabulous holidays I have ever had. The resort, the views from my accommodations. the scuba diving, the staff at the resort were awesome.
Such an incredible place.
many thanks to Terri Huber from Deep blue adventures for booking me such a wonderful vacation at Matava in Fiji and I do plan to go back. I totally recommend it. It's a chance in a lifetime .
thanks to terri and the staff at the Matava Resort for making my vacation so much fun and enjoyable. Rolie Carron

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We researched the Matava resort extensively and communicated with the staff many times before our trip. They were always happy to answer any questions. It made our decision easier to come to Kadavu.

Our Fiji trip felt like a dream. There is so many things to do around the resort. Perfect for a couple to experience in such a beautiful destination. We came to Fiji interested in doing some Fishing, Trekking, and snorkeling during our stay. Every activity was amazing. We stayed in the Honeymoon Bure during our vacation and it was quite comfortable and had the most amazing views. The dining options were steller too. Lots of dishes with different touches of different cultures. I also became fond of the coconut ice cream and fresh Pinapple. The staff was was very welcoming it all started with Maggie. He was very helpful in so many aspects.

When we did our Trek, Sami was our tour guide and he also did a spectacular job. He brought us to a few waterfalls and guided us through a few local villages. All along the way we had incredible views and took a ton of great pictures.

We also did a day on a remote island. Maggie dropped us of on a beautiful remote island after starting a fire for us to cook food on from the resort. We spent the day relaxing, snorkeling, and trekking around the island while taking photos.

We did 4 days fishing and that went great as well. I brought my own Jigging and Popping tackle as this is a hobby of mine. Adrian recommended several Poppers and Stickbaits in which I brought too. We were really impressed with how Adrian and Joe worked together to make sure you have the best experience possible. Fishing with Joe was also a blast. He is absolutely hilarious! These guys really work well together. We ended up catching Giant Trevally up to about 35kg, Dogtooth Tuna, Bluefin Trevally, and Redbass. The conditions weren't perfect weather wise for fishing but we were certainly happy with the action. One day I was able to boat 11 GT's, Bluefin Trevally, and some Redbass. That's certainly not a bad day fishing anywhere! Adrian tells me it can get even better!

I strongly recommend Matava to anyone that wants to experience Fiji away from the bigger cities and see more of the remote beautiful areas that Fiji is known for. We are already thinking of another trip back!

Date of stay: December 2010