$165
$839
$755
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmain bureother guestsmanta reefdive masterfishlow tidelocal villageno electricitydive sitesworld classbug sprayboat captainfood allergiescocktail hourmud flatscell phoneyellowfin tuna
Reviewed March 30, 2010

The co-owner proved to be a neglectful divemaster on our first dive. subsequently the dive site selections seemed to be decided by those guests who had been there the longest. Bedbugs in the honeymoon suite and a theft of camera, Ipod and cash was rather unpleasant . Seems the owners want to distance themselves and might just be tired of their business. I think there are other locations on the Astrolab. Also the "ECO" is just a reason for very basic services while maintaing high end prices.
Great view, good food the local host was flamboyant and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
15  Thank NIDSTC
Reviewed March 22, 2010

What started as an idea became a real adventure halfway around the world at the Matava Ecoresort on the island of Kadavu, Fiji. With a group of 17 other friends we spent about 40 hours of travel getting to this wonderfully remote location. The landscapes were the most beautiful I have ever seen and the diving absolutely amazing but it was the staff at Matava that set this resort apart from anywhere I have ever been before. We were welcomed as if we were old friends returning to visit and it only got better. It is a very comforting thing to spend time in a new place where everyone quickly learns your name, does everything they can to make you comfortable and treats you as though you are their guest.
When we were diving we had the two best guides we could have asked for (for a group of marine biologists thats saying something). They knew the reefs in and out and enjoyed every dive every bit as much as we did. They explored right along side us and shared their discoveries with the group. When on land our hosts were alway friendly and eager to please, like they were the host of their own private party. We all became quickly at home in the main bure where we would sit and have drinks or play cards and music often joined by the staff and locals.
The owners were also often present running fishing trips, leading dives, playing cards or making fresh pina coladas (ask Richard to make a batch) They seem to enjoy being there even more than some of the guests.
The accommodations are modest (it is an ecoresort) but beautiful and definitely do not leave one wanting. Instead of reminding you what you are missing you will more likely suddenly feel how unimportant the "luxuries" you might find elsewhere really are. The food however makes you realize what great fresh food really is! The cuisine was often regionally themed (italian, mexican, english) but Fijian style. Many nights we were enjoying the freshest fish you will ever have without catching it yourself although while you are there you may catch the fish yourself as the resort also offers fishing trips! I especially enjoyed the sashimi tuna and the Wahoo fish and chips. Of course there was also Fijian BBQ.
If all the fishing, diving, relaxing, kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, eating, drinking, reading, socializing, hiking and exploring becomes to much arrange to meet the local village and see the beautiful waterfall. If you needed more examples of Fijian hospitality meeting the locals will surly be it.
After three weeks when we were finally leaving i might have teared up a bit. The entire staff came out to wish us well and see us off. I have never felt like I would miss a place or group of people i'd just met until I had to leave Matava. Thats why I will do what ever I can to get back there some day.
Don't ask yourself if you should visit this place decide when you can get there!

• Stayed: January 2010
2  Thank jreese159
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Matava was fabulous! It was the first of two stops on my diving vacation with friends. It takes some effort to get there, but once you do, you are in for a very relaxing vacation with a wonderful group of people that feel like family. The owners and staff at Matava are welcoming and joyful and make your stay as pleasant as possible. The bures are simple, clean, and well-kept. Despite the heat and lack of air conditioning, I slept well after a full day of diving, snorkeling, and eating. The diving was great. So much to see and explore--and the mantas were magical! I found the food to be filling and delicious and the company a delight. I am thinking and dreaming about my return!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank vclarkak
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I went to Matava with my husband and two of my children. The kids were 12 and 16. I enjoyed the fact that we stayed in thatched bures in the woods. We could pick fresh fruit from our porch. We ate at long family-style tables at the main large house. The food was fresh, often fish that was just caught. there was some limited access to electricity so we were able to download our digital pictures to our computers. the rest of the time we were fine without the electricity. The bures had hot water but it was actually sort of warm. We were fine with that because we were in a tropical climate after all.

My husband and son got their open water certification at Matava. The instructor did a good job with the certification. We enjoyed the diving and saw many kinds of fish and coral. We did not see manta rays because the divemasters did not feel that we were experienced enough to manage the conditions where they had manta rays. I would rather have a conservative divemaster than someone who would allow us to be in a dicey situation. Some divemasters will allow tourists to do anything in order to get a good tip.

We told the staff that we were interested in learning about local healing. They arranged for us to take a trek across the island to visit a healer who had been working his trade and farming local produce all of his life.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank drcwatkins
Reviewed February 15, 2010

This resort was PERFECT for us... we went as a mid-30's couple for a two week adventure getaway!! The owners of Matava were devoted to their guests (offering to get up in the middle of the night to make us ginger honey tea if we wanted) there was as much food as we could eat at every meal (every empty plate being replaced with a full one immediately), activities galore, all staff was so friendly and entertaining, and the owners loved to sit with the guests at the meals and happy hour or even go scuba diving with us! The diving was very professional, which made us feel really secure and enjoy it even more. The thatched bures were perfect, exactly what i had in mind, the scenery (flowers, Kadavu parrot, ocean water) were all incredible. We wanted to go scuba diving and we did! Twice a day for four days as well as took a kayaking trip to a village, swam in a waterfall with children (amazing!!) and were taken to an isolated beach to have a romantic lunch. Snorkeling off the beach right in front of the resort was great as well. On our nine dives at the Astrolabe Reef we saw manta rays, sharks and even had dolphins come swim right up to us! I would recommend this resort to anyone who is adventurous and enjoys a rustic setting (but fully catered and doted on by the staff!). It was my birthday, so Maggie (wonderful person!) set up a private table for us with flowers and our own dinner - also making a birthday cake just for me! I felt that Maggie, the staff and the owners genuinely enjoyed the guests company and tried their utmost to give us exactly what we wanted all of the time. What was really neat about this place too, was that it attracted divers and fisherman, often people who enjoyed only one or the other which provided great conversation at the dinner tables (because of varied traveling and experience from around the world). The fishermen would bring in fish and everyone would eat this wonderful fresh fish every night! I loved this place. Thank you Matava!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple