What started as an idea became a real adventure halfway around the world at the Matava Ecoresort on the island of Kadavu, Fiji. With a group of 17 other friends we spent about 40 hours of travel getting to this wonderfully remote location. The landscapes were the most beautiful I have ever seen and the diving absolutely amazing but it was the staff at Matava that set this resort apart from anywhere I have ever been before. We were welcomed as if we were old friends returning to visit and it only got better. It is a very comforting thing to spend time in a new place where everyone quickly learns your name, does everything they can to make you comfortable and treats you as though you are their guest.
When we were diving we had the two best guides we could have asked for (for a group of marine biologists thats saying something). They knew the reefs in and out and enjoyed every dive every bit as much as we did. They explored right along side us and shared their discoveries with the group. When on land our hosts were alway friendly and eager to please, like they were the host of their own private party. We all became quickly at home in the main bure where we would sit and have drinks or play cards and music often joined by the staff and locals.
The owners were also often present running fishing trips, leading dives, playing cards or making fresh pina coladas (ask Richard to make a batch) They seem to enjoy being there even more than some of the guests.
The accommodations are modest (it is an ecoresort) but beautiful and definitely do not leave one wanting. Instead of reminding you what you are missing you will more likely suddenly feel how unimportant the "luxuries" you might find elsewhere really are. The food however makes you realize what great fresh food really is! The cuisine was often regionally themed (italian, mexican, english) but Fijian style. Many nights we were enjoying the freshest fish you will ever have without catching it yourself although while you are there you may catch the fish yourself as the resort also offers fishing trips! I especially enjoyed the sashimi tuna and the Wahoo fish and chips. Of course there was also Fijian BBQ.
If all the fishing, diving, relaxing, kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, eating, drinking, reading, socializing, hiking and exploring becomes to much arrange to meet the local village and see the beautiful waterfall. If you needed more examples of Fijian hospitality meeting the locals will surly be it.
After three weeks when we were finally leaving i might have teared up a bit. The entire staff came out to wish us well and see us off. I have never felt like I would miss a place or group of people i'd just met until I had to leave Matava. Thats why I will do what ever I can to get back there some day.
Don't ask yourself if you should visit this place decide when you can get there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Find your adventure as you experience the magnificent beauty of a remote unspoiled tropical Fijian Island. Plunging volcanic rain forest slopes meet azure coral lagoons and the Great Astrolabe Barrier Reef, a rare untouched slice of nature unfolds before your eyes. No roads, no noise, no stress and no carbon footprint. Traditional thatched Fijian Bures hug the jungle fringes. Private sun decks gaze over the turquoise lagoon. Dive the reef from the multiple award winning PADI 5 Star Dive Centre, snorkel the marine reserves, explore the jungle trails, or just pamper yourself in the Spa. Relax in the splendor of your private en-suit bure as you contemplate the stunning sunset and anticipate the evening's dinner of fresh fish, fruits and organic vegetables, grown right before your very eyes and served by lantern light on the ocean deck. Far from the maddening crowd, unplug and recharge at Matava, Fiji's premier Eco-Adventure Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matava - Fiji`s Premier Eco Adventure Hotel Kadavu Island
- Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort Kadavu Island