“Stunning location and lovely accommodation, lacklustre otherwise”

Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kadavu Island
sydney
“Stunning location and lovely accommodation, lacklustre otherwise”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

There's no doubt the location of this resort is stunning and accommodation fantastic but somehow it failed to live up to its physical assets. The owners seem to see guests as an intrusion, the food is dull and the atmosphere stiff. The house reef was disappointing - bleached coral and few fish. We didn't get to dive because of the weather but I'm sure the diving would have been brilliant as we have dived elsewhere in this reef. Overall, we wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: We had the room at the top of the hill - stunning views, a long hot walk up and down.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank silica
AdrianWatt, Owner at Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hi Silica,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your brief stay.
We are sorry we could not take you to our Manta Reef site. Unfortunately there was a cyclone in Tonga and the conditions at our Manta site were not suitable. Regrettably you were only able to stay with us for one day. We did warn you on the phone before your arrival that we might not be able to dive Manta Reef on that day. If you had been able to stay longer, we would have been able to take you there. We did encourage you to dive one of our other amazing dive sites in one of the sheltered passages, but you declined.

We are not quite sure what you mean when you suggest the owners of the Resort were 'indifferent'. Both owners of the Resort that were on site during your stay, went out of their way to talk with you and encourage you to go diving, take a boat snorkel trip, or try a number of other fun activities available and were somewhat disappointed by your negative attitude which we assume was due to your disappointment in being unable to dive Manta Reef.

When you did decide to go for a snorkel out front in our Marine Reserve, one of the owners gave you detailed advice as to the extent of the Marine Reserve and the best areas for coral and fish (featured in National Geographic Magazine) and how to get there, however you elected to snorkel elsewhere.

Our food and Organic Farm produce is considered by most guests to be far in excess of what most people expect in such a remote location. All the other guests here during your stay were having a most enjoyable time so I am a bit baffled by your unusual vague comments which run contrary to feedback we receive from our other guests and almost all other Tripadvisor reviews.

I know that you were disappointed that you didn't get to dive Manta Reef but unfortunately the weather is beyond our control.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at Matava for 4 nights over New Year's Eve, and it really is the perfect way to enjoy Fiji. Beautiful views, amazing coral reefs directly off the beach and lots of great activities on offer such as diving and fishing...although we just stuck with the snorkelling and sea kayaks. Great food as well - thoroughly recommended for an island getaway without the usual 'resort' feel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kate A
AdrianWatt, Owner at Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hi Kate,
Thank you for writing a review of your stay with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed the beautiful views, amazing reefs and great food !
We wish you happy and safe travels...and a Happy New Year !

California
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Matava over Thanksgiving and were blown away by the diving, the snorkeling, the food, and the service. We had some special needs this trip and could not have been happier with the lengths they went to in accommodating us. Every meal was fresh and exceptional -- they have some incredible cooks! The staff was warm and responsive, and our bure was comfortable and beautifully appointed. I don't dive, so was thrilled to see sharks and a manta during my snorkeling outings. Thank you, Matava, for the great experience you provided these guests!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank nicegrizz
AdrianWatt, Owner at Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hi Nicegrizz,
Thank you for your review !
We are delighted you enjoyed the exceptional food and snorkeling and of course the sharks and mantas ! Our staff were more than happy to accommodate your needs. When our guests are happy, we are happy :-)
We hope you can make it back some time.
In the mean time we wish you safe and happy travels !
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2013

One of the most amazing places I've been to! Yes, its remote and getting there is a little tricky if you're short on time BUT so worth it! I learnt how to dive with Kaylee (who lives on the mainland). She is experienced, friendly and made me feel very comfortable about being out in the big blue ocean. If you're planning on doing a dive course, email the Matava team before as she had to fly in for my week there. I don't have any other dive experience but I might be hooked after seeing the variety of corals and fish just in the water around Kadavu.

Matava is on a hillside so some people may struggle with the steps if staying higher up but the view is beautiful. You're in the middle of a tropical jungle so there are mozzies and other bugs around but you get mosquito nets in the rooms and mosquito coils are available.

Travelling alone has many benefits but Matava allows you to get to know the other guests and the staff. The staff are FANTASTIC by the way. As soon as I got off the boat, they all greeted me by name and were helpful, friendly and fun to be around. This is what sets a smaller resort like Matava apart from the big, impersonal hotels. I cannot praise them enough really.

I would recommend Matava for people who are adventurous, love nature with all its lizards and bugs, and those who want to switch off from the distractions of phones, internet and tv. It's a place where you can get excited about the simple things in life!

Thank you to all of the lovely people at Matava!

Room Tip: There is no AC or ceiling fans as yet so if you go for the higher rooms, you'll get more of a br...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank xpayalx
AdrianWatt, Owner at Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hi Payal,
Thank you very much for writing a review of your stay !
It was a pleasure to meet you and thank you for coming to see our little slice of Fiji.
Congratulations on becoming a fully certified Scuba diver ! I suspect there will be lots more diving for you to enjoy in your future :-)
I have passed on your review to our staff, I know they will appreciate you kind comments.
We all hope to welcome you back one day :-)
Thanks and best regards,
Middlefield, Ohio
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I spent a week in Matava for the diving after a week at Beqa Lagoon diving and there was NO COMPARISON. Matava IS AMAZING!! We were the ONLY dive boat anywhere around. HUGE animals, perfect coral, and ALOT of critters. I saw more mantas, turtles, and sharks in a week in Matava than i have the last 3 years diving and traveling. AMAZING. The staff will SPOIL you. The resort is BEYOND peaceful. You WILL relax. No tv, radio, noisy machines. EXCELLENT. This island is as perfectly primitive as you could ask for yet perfectly comfortable. Do the waterfall walk. Its long and VERY scenic but ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT. You won't regret staying in Matava or diving with them. And tell Maggy "hello" from the tattooed guy. You WILL enjoy Maggys colorful character and illuminating stories. The staff and islanders couldn't be any nicer!!!

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank wildernessguy6
Hi Wildernessguy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.
We are all delighted you enjoyed the excellent diving here and the whole peaceful scenic experience.... I will print off your review for Maggie and all the staff to read. They put a lot of effort into making guest stays as enjoyable and relaxing as possible so its hugely rewarding for them to receive kind compliments such as yours :-)
We hope we can welcome you back again some day !
Safe and happy travels,
Cocos Islands Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Cocos Dive 2013 Expedition to Matava Resort, Kadavu Fiji. Tough job this leading a group of seasoned, experienced well traveled divers to a remote location. Matava Resort came highly recommend by Dirk at Diversion Dive Travel and we have not been disappointed.

The Resort & staff ... just awesome. The kitchen & dining hosting team lead by Matava legend Maggie (Mags) will cater to your every need. By far the best food at any of the (4) dive resorts previously visited. Congratulations management and staff. The quality the quantity of meals exceeded all expectation of even the hungriest diver. Daily fresh fruit and vegies from the resort garden plus fresh Wahoo from (retired diver now fisherman) Joe skilfully prepared by the kitchen staff. You have set the standard very high guys.

Accommodation. Matava Resort is promoted as an Eco Resort with minimal carbon foot print. Tick the box, another job well done. If the word resort means air conditioning, sterile concrete & glass, plus numerous creature comforts then perhaps you are better suited to another location. Our rooms were serviced daily and I found the bed very comfortable. The addition of a fan for a couple of those still nights and the room would have been perfect. First couple of days we struggled with intermittent hot water and pressure problem that proved challenging to resolve. No problem we were offered an alternative room so that my darling could enjoy her hot shower after a day of diving.

Prior to visiting I was warned to be prepared to be eaten alive by the mosquitoes. Not true. Yes there are there however I found the available coils and mozzie nets sufficient to keep me off the menu. Avid TripAdvisor readers will note that historic reviews were a little harsh, while more recent entries less critical / more complimentary. I would have to agree that the owners have addressed the majority of concerns raised previously. Adrian advises that they are working towards further improvements plus fans in all rooms and this will be a welcome addition. Room lighting was up graded during our visit, the new L.E.D bulbs throwing much more light.

Internet Access. Yes I need it when I travel or I can't visit. This is a work trip for me so I need to keep in contact. The newly installed system worked well providing a reliable system at a speed better than what we have at home on Cocos Islands. Cost FJ$100 for 7 days access. Higher hourly rate for shorter periods. Note: Connection only permitted on the device first used to purchase the access. During the set up process Digicel / Global Gossip as the service provider suggest that logging off and use of a 2nd device is possible and permitted, however this is not the case. Overall Internet access is better than experienced in other remote locations. Learn to live with the limitations or purchase additional account for 2nd device.

The Diving. Rated as enjoyable and good by the dive team. Quality hard and soft corals, fans and whips all as expected. Our group completed 3 dives with the Matava mantas. Fantastic seeing the black morph variety of these awesome creatures. My favorite dive site Japanese Garden with strong incoming current. What a great ride with the challenge of both up and down currents to test diver skills. Our group found the 25 -26 degree C water temp a little on the cool side. Suggest pack an extra layer or 5mm full length wetsuit if you feel the cold. Expected more nudi and flat worm life however I had trouble locating. Perhaps that could just be my ageing eyes.

Overall impression. Put Matava Resort on your dive shopping list. Getting here was relatively easy. We flew Sydney - Nadi with Fiji Airways. This guaranteed that the full 23Kg baggage allowance transferred to the domestic partner Pacific Sun Airways flight. Overnight in Nadi both directions removes the stress of possible missed connections. Be aware that you have a 40 -60 minute boat ride to the resort and that you may have to walk or wade ashore on arrival depending on the tide.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms have easier access, higher rooms have a great view and catch more breeze however c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank CocosManta
AdrianWatt, Owner at Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Hi Cocos Dive and thank you for such a complimentary review !
It was a pleasure to have your group here and thank you for all your positive comments on our high quality of food, staff, accommodation and diving.
When an experienced diver and hotelier such as yourself calls us "Just awsome" it is a compliment indeed !
I hope on day to experience Cocos myself.....Its now on my bucket list !
Safe and happy travels to all the group.
Litchfield Park, Arizona
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I spent five days at Matava Resort in May 2013. Traveling with friends from the US Virgin Islands we wanted a remote dive area with a unique resort. It's hard to say Matava is a resort, it's small and intimate. Only seven guests when I was there. After staying here, I'll never say in a big commercial resort again. I am spoiled. Everything is eco friendly. No carbon foot print here. All the greens come from the garden and fruit from the jungle. Fish is fresh caught and amazing. I did miss my travel music in my Bure, no electric outlets. They do have a charging station for electronics during the day but at night it's lantern, solar flashlights and one light in your Bure. Get a massage next to the water, AMAZING.
The diving was incredible, stellar, breath taking and fun. We dove a channel when the tide was coming in (can't remember the name). I love love love drift diving, but this was better than Disneyland. Drop in the water outside the reef and ride the tide into the inner reef. So fast, I found myself laughing. Jetting past sharks, sea snakes, fish and turtles….what a ride.
It's an adventure getting there, spend a week or more you won't be sorry. It's hard leaving.

Room Tip: My Bure was on the same level as the main building. My friends had to climb lots of stairs, but the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laurie D
AdrianWatt, Owner at Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Hi Laurie,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us and it was our pleasure to do our best to spoil you rotten :-)
Sounds like you really enjoyed diving Naiqoro Passageway. Its a stunning dive and my favourite place to pretend to be Superman !
You obviously understood what Matava Eco-Adventure Resort is all about and made the most of your stay. Its always a pleasure see guests really appreciate this amazing island and its people.
Thanks again for the great review !
We wish you safe and happy travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kadavu Island
Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu
Laucala Island Resort
Laucala Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Laucala Island

Been to Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!