$169
Papageno Resort(Kadavu Island)
Tiliva Resort(Kadavu Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Beqa Lagoon Resort(Beqa Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsmain bureother guestsmanta reefdive masterfishlow tidelocal villageno electricitydive sitesworld classbug sprayboat captainfood allergiescocktail hourmud flatscell phoneyellowfin tuna
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This was our second trip to Matava. My wife, who is a vegetarian, was taken care of with unique vegetarian dishes that made her feel like she was receiving special treatment; however, this was not the case as everyone always receives special treatment from the staff.

The resort creates a social atmosphere, yet you can choose to have privacy anywhere at the resort if you choose.

The diving was beautiful both inside and outside the reef. The mantas showed up again and were surreal. Both soft and hard corals in abundance. We even saw a zebra shark on one of the dives.

The staff are extremely friendly and seek to make sure you are having a great time. I would expect no less from the Fijian people.

The owners are friendly and Richard is always concerned that your expectations are being met.

The bures are improving. They are clean and comfortable and have mosquito netting, which is necessary.

My only suggestion, based upon my prior trip, is to bring a small batter operated fan if you are like me and need a little breeze under the netting. Most guests I spoke to did not need this little extra but I suggest it just in case.

We are already looking forward to our next trip back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is a great little resort in a great location. Kadavu is a lovely remote island with a hearty mountainous backbone and lots of little villages filled with friendly people. The resort is beautiful, with a well trained, colorful and friendly staff. Meals are exellent, with the food varied, superbly prepared and served in adequate quantities.
2 of the 3 owners were there during our stay- they seemed quite uninterested in us, and one avoided eye contact with the guests and never introduced himself. However, they had friends visiting during our stay and at times seemed preoccupied by this.
Things would get slow after a few days if you didn't dive, and it is true that there is no beach.
However, the diving is the real reason to go because it is truly outstanding. The soft and hard corals are pristine and we never saw another diver from outside our resort. No mantas during our stay, but plenty of sharks. The dive staff, boats and equipment were excellent, but a wet suit is necessary in November. My 2 sons completed their certification while there, and I found the training and oversight to be excellent.
If you are looking for a remote, higher end small resort and diving is your main focus, it would be difficult to beat this place

Room Tip: The honeymoon bures on the hill are a bit of a trek, but very private and have great views. and they get a nice breeze. Things are busier down by the water
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank m123sandiego
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I have been diving many places and between us have been on 12 live-aboards and so you know we like to dive. This time I requested some rest and relaxation as well. Matava was perfect for us. The staff was amazing (24 staff for a maximum of 18 guests), the food was really good and the diving varied and interesting. It helps that I saw two species of ghost piepfishes along with the usual suspects (manta's turtles, sharks, reef fishes galore, nudibranchs and very diverse coral). The diving schedule is relaxed-two a day and probably not for the super keen diver, but a perfect romantic getaway and a place to let you hair down (and not wash it for two weeks). They warn you about the mosquitoes and the lack of airconditioning (that is the eco part) and I say that is part of the experience. I highly recommend this great place and would go back myself!

Room Tip: we had Raiwasa but all the rooms have a private view. Raiwaisa is 92 stairs up though!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank colourfulj
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I spent 10 days at Matava with The League of Underwater Superheroes and had the time of my life! I could not have dreamt up a better vacation! The scuba diving was overwhelmingly beautiful and the friendly staff was outstanding! Everyone there went above and beyond the call of duty. The food is outstanding as well and everything is so fresh, because it's grown right there. They even make their own honey! Dietary restrictions are not to be worried about either - they made all of my meals with no onions, simply because I don't like them...talk about accommodation. We also took a day trip to the village and waterfall, which is not to be missed. The locals are all very friendly and the waterfall is beautiful! An amazing adventure! I'll definitely be back and I can't wait!
I can not thank everyone at Matava enough for my amazing stay there - Ta, George, Maggie, and Cherie, always there for us no matter what it was we needed. The fun and spectacular dive crew! Chenelle with her magic massage hands. The chefs and their delicious creations (we ate like kings). Sammy, and the kava crew! and thank you Richard for making it all possible! Vinaka to all of my friends in Fiji, you are missed!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nikki B
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at the resort with my brother for just over a week; we went suba-diving everyday except the last.
The scuba-diving itself was very good; the corals were beautiful; we were taken to the dive sites on a big aluminium hulled boat, two out-board motors with a canvas covering for the sun and rain; it was really easy going diving, and very safe; both dive-masters were good:
as we were experienced we were let in the water until the tanks reached the safety margin, this means about an hour each dive,
We did not see the mantas though: it rained for days and when the weather got better to reach manta alley (approx 1hr away) apparently the mantas had been put off by the fresh water run-off from the island; in general the viz was reduced but not too bad, always 10-15min min.

Kayaking is fun and a nice island sits a few hundred yards opposide the resort; it is a private place but wallking on beaches at low tide and snorkeling is ok.
The home reef in front of the resort is fantastic: bommies, and plenty of stag corals;
really superb, either to enjoy by snorkelling or on a shore dive.

The eco-resort was suberb; we were allocated a beach-view a few steps up from the beach
and it was airy, clean and quiet; unseasonably there were steady trade winds at night and we slept really well; normally the weather is supposed to be better at this time of the year
and this might be a problem at night: the huts have solar panels that provide electricity for the led lights (rather dim & not enough for reading) but no air-con and not even a fan.
You can only charge your electric gadgets in the main bure during day-time only;
this should not be interpreted as a drawback if your are keen on an enviromentally friendly resort.
The food was good and varied; not excellent but good; salad and tomatoes were good: they plant and grow their vegetables.

Drinking water is sourced from local spring and is filtered because being chanlled to a single faucet/tap; beware of the look of the transparent filters in case of heavy rain !

The Fijians employed in the resort were genuinely happy and friendly and went to great lenghts to help; in my opinion this was a real plus that made the experience more enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends