“Heaven on earth - can't wait to go back”

Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kadavu Island
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Heaven on earth - can't wait to go back”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My husband and I just spend 7 nights at Matava, and we are already planning our next trip there. We loved the place, and especially the staff sooooo much we have totally fallen in love with Matava.
The staff were wonderful, couldnt do enough for you day and night, always quick with a smile and a joke. The food was fantastic as was the diving.
Matava would not be for everyone, but if you dont mind rustic charm (no air con or fan, and limited electricity - tropical breeze, gas lanterns and mozzie nets instead) and want a true romantic adventure far, far from the maddening crowds then I would highly recommend this place to you.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ABW303

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2011

So-called "eco adventure" "resort." Not a place I would visit again; you should stay away. Foreign hotel owners and managers are unprofessional and inexperienced. All of the local Fijian staff are real nice and I had great dives. Boat ride from dock near airport represented to be 45 minutes but in my case it took 68 minutes, a very long time in an open rowboat in the blazing sun! And in the bargain the boat driver 's rough handling of my carry on bag damaged my computer and external hard drive. This place is totally overpriced, it would be overpriced if the rate was half! The place is a fire trap ... guests are warned about fire potential but few fire extinguishers are provided and those are well hidden - if you don't know where they are you will not find them in an emergency, especially at night! And, no smoke alarms! It is closer to camping than luxury resort it purports to be. Do not confuse Matava (stay away!) with Matana Resort / Dive Kadavu (go there) on the same island. All merely my opinion, of course.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
16 Thank down2biz
lakewood, colorado
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I were on a 3 week trip to Fiji for our 25th anniversary. Matava was our last resort and we had a wonderful time there. The staff was fabulous and Maggie was the "life of the party" each and every day. The visit to the village for church and then a swim in the waterfalls is a must. The Fijian village people helped us negotiate the rocks to get over to the beautiful, deep pool. Then they took turns climbing way up on the cliffs and jumping in. We dove 6 different days out of Matava. We did 4 Manta Ray dives and that is a thrill. The other diving was beautiful as well. I would suggest that you check the packing list that their web site provides. One thing that I wished we had taken over with us was head lights to read with at night as the lighting that is available is not good to read by at night. Matava is more remote and being an eco resort, it is not as fancy as some other resorts, but it is beautiful here and the food was so fresh and good.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank scubadoo8
Indialantic
Reviewed April 12, 2011

The best vacation adventure I have ever had! I daydream about Matava all the time.Fishing on the Bite Me for blue marlin was quite a thrill!!!First time I fought a fish that I thought might just win!The water was amazing every shade of turquois and blue you could imagine.Wonderful people great food and the kava tasted pretty darn good to me.Have never seen such beautiful fish and coral!Cant wait to return to Kadavu!

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite has an awesome view!!!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IndialanticOrchid
Mullumbimby, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Everything was just perfect & the experience exactly what we were after. The eco-retreat is definitely in a wilderness part of Fiji. The accommodation very comfortable with unbelievable views over an Island. Definitely pay a little more for the Honeymoon Burres. All the staff are brilliant, friendly, warm & helpful. I can’t praise Maggie high enough for looking after us so well & being so entertaining. Food was excellent every day/night, tasty & abundant.

Most guests were divers but we scheduled an activity every day. Medicine man walk, village visit, snorkel trips, remote picnic on deserted beach & an exciting adventure kayaking from Ono Island across the channel back to Matava. In fact the adventure starts as soon as you leave Nadi. Small plane flight, truck across Island & then 1 hr open boat trip to the retreat.

Thank you so much guys for everything. We will definitely be returning & have such fond happy memories that we will cherish for a lifetime.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Webtones
AncAK
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I've traveled extensively and for the overall value this was one of the best remote eco-resorts I've ever visited. The owners and staff treated me like a long-lost friend. Meals were made with local food, prepared very well, served family style, and there was always enough to go around. The guests were from around the world and were fun and friendly. The staff were helpful, accommodating, friendly and professional. As a diver, I really appreciated how well the dive operation was handled -- gear, boat, dive masters, safety, etc. were all PADI 5-star. If you open your mind and heart to the local Fijian people, especially if you visit one of their villages, they will be friends for life...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank SrGoals
Newcastle NSW
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My Husband and I stayed at the Matava November last year and I am counting down the time until we can get back there. I was certified as a scuba diver there and my teacher was brilliant! One on one training - what more could you ask for! The food was "to die for" and being a foodie didn’t expect such wonderful & new culinary delights!! Our Hostess with the mostess “Maggie” was so warm, friendly & funny I would go back just to spend another week with her! Love Ya Mags!!. The Directors Richard, Adrian & Stuart well who could ask for better people to get to know and enjoy such wonderful company with! Bula Guys!!
The accommodation was peaceful and comfortable and all the staff were fantastic! As a first time diver I couldn’t ask for a better place to learn to dive! Can’t wait to see you all again soon!
XOXOXOX JULIE & DAVID XOXOXOX

#3 of 3 in Kadavu Island
Wayalailai Ecohaven Resort
Wayalailai Ecohaven Resort
#2 of 2 in Waya Lailai

Been to Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!