“A wonderful place for a wedding”

and 1 more site!
Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I can't express my feelings enough for how well we were treated and pampered at this remote island resort. When I started looking for places to have my perfect tropical wedding I can't imagine finding a better spot, with nicer people or better natural scenery. The managment went way above and beyond our wildest imaginings to make the resort even more beautiful for my once in a life time marriage. People considering this location should know that this resort is for people that want to slow down and enjoy nature in a more quiet setting, not the big bold and flashy enviroment of the big hotels. The food was very well prepared if not a little more american than we wanted, while trying to experience a different way of life. There were many times however that the food had to be identified (such as bread fruit and taro root) for me as I had never seen it before. Kava was a new and interesting beverage that can only be truly experienced in the traditional manor. This is not a place for those who HAVE to keep up with tech issues. The power is turned on from 0700-1100 hours and 1700-2100 hours by a diesel fuel with some storage in an inverter for bed lamps and a the over-head fan, so the TV is only on for a few hours at any given time. But this is a place to do things, not just plop and veg on the couch. We enjoyed Kayaking, swiming, walking to amazing falls, I hiked to the top of one of the mountains close to the resort, volleyball, Bocci ball, and just the overall experience was unforgetable. Thanks to the managers, Issac, Maxine and their most helpful wedding planner, Mary.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a beautiful view of the ocean, so there isn't a bad seat in the house
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dennis m
There are newer reviews for Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I can't say enough about the Matana Beach Resort, I would go back again in a heart beat. We went in July with 3 other couples to scuba dive and we all had a great time. Diving was just about all we were able to do, as it rained the entire time we were there. Which in our case wasn't a big deal. When you are underwater, it doesn't matter if it is rainiing cats and dogs Maxine and Isaac were the perfect hostess and host. The entire staff were very accomodating and attended to our every need. Josie always had a smile and cold Bitter for me, so what more could anyone want. We were asked upon our arrival what types of meals we wanted and we voted on Fijian. We fould the food to be great. We didn't have problems with insects or any of the things 1sassydog or Doron A complained about. My wife and I travel a lot and found our experience at Matana Beach Resort to be nothing but positive.

1  Thank Craig B
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am fortunate to have made repeated visits to this resort. I have been to Fiji over 25 times, and most of them were to Dive kadavu. Why? Because of the DIVING!!! I am an experienced diver, but it is ideal for beginners, intermediate and advanced divers. The dive guides really know their business and always deliver a great time. The resort is friendly, clean, and the staff goes out of their way to make each and every guest feel at home, cared for and appreciated. The food is average, but nicely served. The owners ( NZ) need to spend more on the food supply.
The bures are so nice and right on the beachfront. The village nearby is wonderful to visit and the scenery is gorgeous. I will return again and hope travelers will join me, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any of the bures are fine. There are private bures for 2, and also 4 guests. All on the beachfront.
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent a week at the resort (at the same time as Doran below) and I just amazed that his experience was different than ours. We found Isaac, Maxine and the Resort Team to be very friendly and accommodating. The Bures were comfortable and clean. The windows had screens on them allowing you to leave the window shutters open, and after spending hours outside I was amazed to find no flying insects and I just got a lovely tan.
The food was a mixture of Fijian and Western and at no time did we not enjoy any of our meals, in fact the kitchen staff cooked a special meal for Doran as he didn’t want another curry, all the other resorts had provided him.
The internet was available for use, being dial-up was slow, but we were welcome to use it. The resort advert did advertise internet not Wi-Fi. (The internet reception to the Island has improved since we were there).
It was lovely sitting listening to the sound of the sea and chilling out. My Husband dived which he thoroughly enjoyed and the dive team really made it a memorable experience.
We had a great experience going to the Local School Sports day and getting to know the locals.
Matana Beach Resort is a great place to experience Fijian friendliness, culture and the wonders of the sea!!!, well worth the stay.

1  Thank Sue G
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had a wonderful trip to Fiji but made the biggest mistake by booking a 2-night stay at Dive Kadavu as part of our kayaking expedition. Despite its representation on its website that there is internet access for emails, upon our arrival, we were told by the manager Issac that the internet does not work so don't bother trying. There was no hot water for our shower and despite the manager's efforts to fix it, it still did not work. We stayed at other places on Kadavu as part of our kayaking expedition and they all had mosquito netting and mosquito coils to help with the mosquito situation. Dive Kadavu had neither mosquito netting nor coils. Mosquitoes feasted on us and we spent the entire night trying to fight them off and got no sleep as a result. Dinner consisted of chicken cooked in ketchup and canned mushrooms. Breakfast was not much better. Given conditions that were worse than at a Motel 6, we did not want to stay another night and asked Issac and Maxine for a credit for the second night. Despite their reassurances that it was not a problem, the owner Conny refused to honor the credit. Think twice about staying at a place that misrepresents to customers and which fails to live up to basic motel standards (let alone a "resort").

Room Tip: Try Papageno Resort. It is beautiful and clean with great food and very accommodating staff.
6  Thank 1sassydog
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently went to Fiji to kayak around the island of Kadavu. We kayaked for 6 days and stayed at different resorts each night to experience the differences of the island. This "resort" and I say that lightly was absolutely horrible. We first got there and the shower did not work well, even after they tried to fix it. Then when we went to dinner, the food was barely edible. We figured that we'd give them another chance on that respect but it didn't turn out any better. After dinner, we tried using the "internet" that was advertised but that turned out to be not available. We made our way back to our bure for sleep and were consumed by mosquitos the entire night. Other resorts had netting or something to prevent the onslaught. Here they suggested we spray with insect repellant around our room but that would have just made breathing difficult if not dangerous. We attempted to eat breakfast but that was also difficult to swallow. As this was our last destination, we had planned to stay for 2 nights as it also seemed really good from the advertising. We decided we'd go back to the place before (Papageno) which was incredible and for the same amount of money so we told the manager and accountant to cancel our second night and please refund us our money. They said that was fine but it would be taken care of through the office in New Zealand. Needless to say, after many attempts to get a refund, we were denied. Overall this was the worst experience on the island and it would be a bad idea to stay with them.

5  Thank Doron A
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We just spent a week at the Matana Beach Resort and had a great time. The staff was friendly, the service was excellent, the accomodations were comfortable(unbeliveable beach view), and the scuba-diving experience was amazing! The dive instructor and dive masters on the boat were experienced and professional. Isaac and Maxine (the managers) create a warm, family atmosphere. They are also great at organizing competitive games for the visitors, so beware:) If you want a cultural experience this is the place to stay with two villages next to the resort that employ the staff for the resort. There are opportunities to visit the villages and get a first hand experience of the way of life.

2  Thank Margie B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kadavu Island
Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort
Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort
Oneta Resort
Oneta Resort
#2 of 3 in Ono Island

Been to Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu? Share your experiences!