“Wont stay here again”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Saraland
Alabama
“Wont stay here again”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Let me preface this with I stay almost exclusively at Choice Hotels when I travel for business. Last time I was in Saraland for business I stayed across the street in the Quality Inn and thought I had a bad room/stay. So this time I tried the Econo Lodge in Saraland., My check-in experience was painless with a very professional Desk Clerk and quickly had a room. The rooms all open to the outside and I couldn't help but notice vast amount of trash piled up next to all the over-flowing trashcans outside.
I walked into my first room and the TV was on, bed pillows piled up, and a bag of clothes on the bathroom sink, so back to the front desk. I had no issues getting a second room and I was off again. The second room had a bad smell (similar to old smoke) but I was tired and didn't want to fight it. I found long black hair in the bed cover (that went immediately to the floor), on the bathroom sink, and in the shower. The TV was old and the picture was completely shot. I went to sleep on the less than comfortable beds and was awoken around 0330 hrs by the trash truck that was emptying the 2 dumpsters. Upon check-in, I declined a wake-up call, but received a call at 0530 hrs. It was a rough night but I was looking forward to a decent breakfast and then heading out.
I stay at Choice Hotels often and was completely disappointed with the lack of options when it came to breakfast time. They had the bare minimum fruit loops, juice, coffee, and waffles. As quick as I walked in to the lobby for breakfast, I turned around and headed to the Waffle House for breakfast; great service at the W.H. was the saving grace this morning. I'm glad to write reviews for the places I stay and this is the FIRST time I have written a negative review. Although I will continue to stay at Choice Hotels, I will not ever stay at this location again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bernadette V, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I want you to know that I was very alarmed by the problems you encountered during your stay with us. I assure you that I will take the necessary steps to resolve these issues. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guest are taken seriously. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Quoted one rate on the phone then give a different one when arrived! The place needs lots of updating! Phone not working properly! Not properly cleaned! Mold in the shower& stains on furniture. Would not recommend!

• Stayed November 2012

Travelers are raving about these Saraland hotels

Reviewed February 23, 2012

I did a pre paid online. When I got to the hotel they asked for my card. They charged my card and wasn't suppose to and I called and talk to them and they were rude and hung up on me. I called back and ask to the manager and they said she was in the back and couldn't go and get her. They said it would take 3-5 days to get money back. I waited and the money still wasn't back on my card. I talked to the manager and she said I didn't say that to you, it takes 10 days, this was 3 weeks later. I called corp office and they couldn't help they were just as Rude! They are pulling a scam or something with their guest. Finally got money back but I will not do business again with this company. I normally go to Best Western but they were sold out that night. Not a good stay n Very unhappy!!!

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We are not hard to please when power driving and looking for a place to sleep but this place is smelly and nasty! We demanded our money back and ran!

• Stayed October 2011
Eatonton
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Personnel efficient, courteous, and friendly. Room clean & comfortable.
My two shih tzu doggies were welcome. Stay was so pleasant that I stayed there again on my return trip home.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Atlanta
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My family and I were traveling through Mobile and were shocked to find the hotels were $100/night. We found the Quality Hotel to be reasonably priced (around $70) and VERY clean. We had a double with plenty of space. There was a little fridge and a continental breakfast included. Definitely a good deal! It was exit 13 off of I-65.

• Liked — Location and Cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Price, but it was still good compared to the Hampton Inn and Days Inn at the same exit.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Greensburg, Kentucky
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I stayed in this hotel with guest in 12 other rooms. Almost all of the rooms had the same problems. While the bedding was nice and the location good, the rooms needed some maintenance. They were not the cleanest. The air condidtioners seemed to leak inside the rooms. Almost all of our rooms had water in the floor and wet carpets. We reported to the front desk and they made no offer to do anything about it or move us. I personally arrived late and the staff was not interested in helping us at all.

• Liked — location...Wal-mart close, Waffle house, close to I-65
  • Disliked — lack of interest from the staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelsUnlimited
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saraland
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Saraland/North Mobile
Best Western Saraland Hotel & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mobile/Saraland
Wingate by Wyndham Mobile
Hampton Inn & Suites Mobile/Downtown

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!