“Started Out With 4 Towels - Upon Cleaning Had 2”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Saraland
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I went down to Mobile for a nephew's graduation, 3 adults and 1 child in a king suite for 2 nights. I often stay at these hotels, and this was a first with so many issues.

-The walls were paper thin in the livingroom, as if the next door guest was talking to us.
-When we returned from the graduation the next day, only 2 of our 4 body towels had been replenished. Front desk person advised that the housekeeping supervisor didn't work on weekends, and that she couldn't go behind the cleaning crew to make that sure everything was replenished. A weird response.
-Breakfast was nice, but some lady brought in a dog, and the dog was in her arms as she was looking at the food. A bit nasty for me.....dog hair.
-No sign from interstate, very difficult to locate.

Logon, who checked us in, was super nice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Spent a weekend in early February here with Family for Mardi Gras, Logan checked us in. She was helpful, friendly and professional. Shawna helped us with check-out and made everything run so smoothly. The young lady maintaining the breakfast bar was such a wonderful person making sure we had what we needed and encouraging us to come back and visit. Our room was a suite on the 1st floor. Our room was clean and updated.All staff that we encountered was very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Joshua H, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and our staff could take care of you. We look forward to your next stay- let us know when you'll be back in town!

Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

On the positive side the staff we encountered during our stay (2 nights) all deserve kudos for their helpful & friendly attitudes. Special recognition should go to Logan @ the front desk, whatever her pay scale... she deserves a raise!
On the negative side, though not to the point of "cringing" but certainly not on the level of prior experiences with this hotel chain, we found the carpet and furnishings of our room were, to be nice... soiled and TIRED. (Carpets made you want to leave your socks on and the coach was so worn and soiled that we spread an extra blanket on top before using.) The lobby on the other hand was very nice and appears to have been recently updated... too bad this renovation wasn't carried through to the rooms.
In summation, the location is handy with easy access to highways,the Jr. suites are large and allow for a generous work area and there are several restaurants in close proximity. But would we stay again... I doubt it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Joshua H, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Hi,
I first would like to thank you for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. It is through these reviews that we can properly identify the positives and negatives of your guest experience that we need to address.

Thank you so much for your kinds words about our staff - we will definitely pass these along and reward our staff for the great service they provide to each guest.

I want to apologize for your notes on the room. We strive to keep our rooms as clean and well-appointed as possible, and I understand that the condition in which you found your room is not up to standards. I will address these issues immediately with our staff, and we will ensure that your experience does not happen again.

We are currently working on improving the furnishings of our guest rooms so that they will be more well-appointed and comfortable for each guest.

I invite you to come back and let us show you what great rooms we have to offer, along with the wonderful service you have already experienced. If there is anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to contact me personally at the property.

Thank you again!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Elevator smelled like bug spray, carpet badly stained. Upon entering room carpet there was also badly stained. One of the spreads was stained. No ice bucket and when I asked the housekeeper for one she left one without a lid. Never even leaving a clean plastic bag for it also. Light bulbs in bedside lamp burned out. No bath towels had to ask at the front desk for some and they were being laundered. Top of beds and dresser were dusty. The breakfast was okay and the kitchen staff were extremely friendly. The front desk staff were also very friendly. Coffee in the lobby and the good cookies were a nice touch. Overall for being a fairly new hotel I would not stay there again. I wonder if the room I got was because I booked online at expedia and got a discounted rate? Oh, Beds were very comfortable!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Joshua H, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. I appreciate your kind words about our staff and I will personally pass it along to each of them. I do want to apologize about the state of some of the items in your room and the service delivery from a certain staff member- this is definitely not up to our standards and I will be addressing each of these items with my staff. I can assure you this is not our normal standard of service and we will make improvements immediately! If you find yourself back in our area, please contact me so I can personally take care of you. On your next stay, I'd love to offer you a special discount plus a complimentary upgrade to the best room we have available. Again, thank your for your comments and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Hidden behind the Microtel, this place is nearly invisible from the road and very hard to find on a a dark, rainy night. Study the location map in advance. A sign in the vicinity of the turn-off would be helpful.

Service is just average. Wi-fi did not work and night desk personnel had no clue as to how to fix it. Day shift was informed of problem at check out and also seemed at a loss. Desk clerks on both day and night shifts spent extended time away from their posts and left guests waiting at the desk and phones from guests unanswered. Night clerk put me in a regular room even though I had an accessible room reservation. After notifying her of the error, she shifted me to a nice accessible room.

Room was clean and quiet. Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Joshua H, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. These reviews are very important to us and we take them very seriously as they are the #1 way we can improve our property and service for our guests. I want to apologize for the issues you experienced finding our hotel and during your stay. Unfortunately, our hotel is a bit hidden - we are currently working with the city to erect a tall pylon sign to enable our guests to find our hotel quickly. I am also reviewing the directions on our website to ensure we are providing the most accurate way for our guests to find us.
I also appreciate your feedback regarding the service issues you encountered with our front desk agents. I will personally make sure this is addressed, as service is our priority and the simply is no excuse for any of our employees to not be proactive in dealing with guest issues.
That being said, I do appreciate your kind words about the quality of our rooms and breakfast. While I am a new manager here, I am very proud of what we have to offer and I am working very hard to ensure our service delivery is at the same level of our hotel quality.
As a thank you for the feedback you have given us and an apology for the issues you experienced during your stay, I would like to offer you a special rate and an upgrade on your next stay with us. Please contact myself (Josh) or my Assistant General Manager (Katie) at our hotel so that we may handle your reservation personally and roll out the red carpet for you when you return! Thank you again, and Happy Holidays!

Josh Herron
Country Inn & Suites - Saraland, AL

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Exterior arrival says it all at some properties and this one sure did too. Other than being somewhat hard to locate when arriving off I-65, it had a quiet, laid-back setting. Front office staff were quite friendly and accommodating. I had asked for a room away from traffic and the young lady offered another room that would be the best for that (which we appreciated). Room was nice, fresh and inviting. Nice King bed, great flat-screen TV and fresh coffee (and cookies) on arrival. Just what we want. No frills, no if, ands, or buts, but a nice quite room.
Staff were friendly, accommodating and told us where we could find a church nearby. Offered to show nearby sights, etc. but we were too tired and passed on that.
Breakfast was excellent: scrambled eggs, sausage, cereals, buns, fresh coff(and HOT) coffee and other essentials. Very good overall stay experience.

Room Tip: If you want quiet request a room far away from I-65 which is in rear of hotel. Otherwise, rooms are...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We brought our daughter down for college and stayed here and loved it. The friendliest people we have ever met. Everything is very clean and smells good and is very comfortable and homey. If you need anything this staff will go out of their way to get it for you. We will stay here everytime we travel to Alabama to visit our daughter. Its our new home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saraland
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Saraland/North Mobile
Best Western Saraland Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mobile/Saraland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mobile Saraland
Baymont Inn & Suites Saraland
Wingate by Wyndham Mobile

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland? Share your experiences!