“Excellent Stay - Pre-Cruise stay”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Saraland/North Mobile
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Saraland
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Wow, this is an excellent place to stay for my pre-cruise hotel. I was affected by the tornadoes and lack of power in N. Alabama. Decided to come down for an extra two days so as to get away from lack of power at home. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. Both Amanda and Mark are exceptional. Wishing Amanda best wishes on her new baby which is due anytime. Mark is the shuttle driver, has a wonderful Cajun accent, and is very helpful. As a solo cruiser, didn't have much to do on the day of the cruise. Was told to wait until 10.45am to catch the shuttle. Mark saw me hanging around and ask if I wanted to drive with him down to the cruise terminal while he picks up the return passengers.

This hotel is in a very good location, right of I65 and close to Walmart. you can walk over to Ruby Tuesday, which I did one afternoon. Needed a hair cut and found a "Cuts for Us" just across from the hotel, this was good since as my barber at home didn't have any power due to the storms in N. Alabama.

They give you a card with the hotels phone number. You give this number a quick call when getting off the boat. It didn't take long for Mark to show up to take me and others back to the hotel. Was back at my car and on the road by 9am.

Would highly recommend this hotel for the location, price and staff. It is in a safe location so there were no worries about leaving my car. You park your car in the back which is in the shade.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank thebrit123
There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Saraland/North Mobile

Reviewed April 27, 2011

when we booked our second cruise we knew exactly where we was going to stay, we have stayed at the Microtel before and loved it so this time we were going back.

There was 4 adults and the rooms are big enough for all our bags and still be able to move around, the bathroom was good size and plenty of hot water for us in the morning. The breakfast was good and filling, it was cerals and fruit and biscuits and gravy and pancakes that you warmed up in the mircowave(yum), we were started off very nicly!!

we were on the first shuttle over to the port and there by 10:45am, loved that, and then when we got back my husband just called and within 10min here came the driver and took us back to the car and it was safe and sound for the week!!

we walked over to the oyster place next door and the smell about made me want to leave but they were having drink specials so we stayed and ended up eating supper there, the bar guy was great and he kept trying to get me to eat oyster(couldn't do it) but my husband had 3o r 4 free ones and he said they were tasty!!

Its also very close to wal-mart incase you forgot something like my friends did!!!

I just wish Carnival wasn't pulling out of Mobile, that port is so easy to get into and out of, so we will be leaving out of New Orleans now, but if we are ever in the area we would stay here again!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Stay at the hotel prior to a cruise. Booked with stay123.com rate was slightly cheaper than booking with hotel directly. We parked our car during our cruise and had no problems. Rate at the cruise terminal is $15 a day. Two of us road the shuttle to the cruise terminal for free as it was included with room fee. Room was very nice and clean. Breakfast was good, although they were out of biscuits it was still very good. The cherry muffins were very tasty. Shuttle driver was very nice. We waited less than 10 minutes after the cruise for him to pick us up. All you have to do is call just before reaching customs and they will come get you.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ldeej
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We booked a park & cruise package for two rooms based on reviews here and elsewhere. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough!

We checked in the afternoon of 4/8/11 and I wish I knew the name of the front desk person... she was awesome! Our room had a faint cigarette odor and she promptly assigned us a different room. For the price, the rooms were very nice ~ comfortable beds, flat panel television, in-room coffeemaker, fridge and microwave and reliable internet. If we had to critique at all, it would be that the bath amenities were few (shampoo!) but at this price level, we didn't expect more. So bring your own if you're picky.

But what really sets this hotel apart from the rest is the excellent customer service. Unfortunately, our cruise was delayed 8 hours due to the ship being stuck in fog. The staff at Microtel handled this bad situation unbelievably well. They kept in touch with port employees and stayed on top of things the best they could. They didn't ask us to check out, instead they allowed us to keep our room keys as long as we needed them. Good thing, because we didn't end up boarding the ship until 7:00 pm! We really appreciated their hospitality because we had other family members with us, including two grandkids, and Microtel's flexibility made a difficult day so much easier!

Thanks to everyone at Microtel. And a special shout out to Mark Landry :)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SunDiego123
Reviewed April 15, 2011

When our cruise ship didn't make it to the port on time, the attendant at the front desk allowed us to leave our bags in our room free of charge past check out time until our cruise ship came in four hours late. She also recommended some activities that were happening downtown Mobile and called us when she heard from the shuttle driver that the cruise ship was in the port. The shuttle service that was provided by the hotel was also very accommodating to our needs. After talking to many of the people who had spent all their time waiting in the convention center for the cruise ship to come in while we were enjoying downtown Mobile, we were that much more thankful that we stayed at a hotel that really cared about their customers. If I ever need to Park and Ride from Mobile, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Thank you for making what could have been a very frustrating situation into a pleasant experience!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cmiles82
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Our family was taking a cruise to Mexico out of Mobile. I had researched all hotels in the Mobile and Saraland area and all were higher cost with expensive shottle service to the port or no shuttle service at all. The Microtel in Saraland was inexpensive and offered shuttle service to and from the port with free parking while you cruised. This hotel is right off I-65, so very easy to find. There is a Ruby Tuesdays within walking distance and a walmart right around the corner. The staff was very helpful and very nice. We stayed on the 3rd floor of the hotel and our room was small but comfortable. We really just wanted a good nights rest before we left the next morning. There was a continental breakfast with cold cereal, muffins, bagels, biscuits and gravy, juice and coffee. When the shuttle arrived, Amanda at the front desk called our room to let us know they were ready for us to come down to the lobby. We were prompty greeted by our driver "Mark from Louisiana", who was very nice and helped us with our luggage and gave us some good tips on the Mobile port. After our cruise as we were heading through Customs we called the hotel to send a shuttle and pretty promptly, Mark was there to pick us up. He went out of his way and brought coffee and hot chocolate for all of us. He deserves 5 stars! If we cruise again, we will stay here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank yingyang10
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My wife and I, along with my mother and a friend of hers stayed at the Microtel inn in saraland al. for the stay and cruise package on November the 28th. I do a lot of review reading before I make a trip and I was not at all dissatisfied with my stay. The hotel was great,the rooms are very comfortable and spacious. Everything was clean, neat, and in order. The staff was wonderful and Mark the shuttle bus driver was top notch. If I was to do it over again I would not think twice about where to stay. The price was very good and the shuttle service to the port was great. A big thank you to the staff and everyone who made our stay so wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saraland
The Admiral Hotel Mobile, Curio Collection by Hilton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mobile Daphne/Eastern Shore
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saraland
Hampton Inn & Suites Mobile/Downtown
Wingate by Wyndham Mobile
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mobile/Saraland

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Saraland/North Mobile? Share your experiences!