“nice” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Joe Wheeler State Park

Joe Wheeler State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Joe Wheeler State Park, located on Wheeler Lake, offers something for everyone; a resort lodge, a restaurant, cabins, camping, fishing, golf, tennis, swimming, convention/banquet facilities, transient slips and a marina. Whether you're looking for a place to spend the weekend or a place to have the perfect wedding, Joe Wheeler State Park can be your dream destination. From small church groups to large conventions, our experienced staff can make your special occasion organized and stress free.
Lewisburg, Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

a fun place to go to enjoy camping, fishing, hiking, swimming, and all outdoor activities. Or, if you prefer a beautiful air conditioned lodge to relax in, while gazing at the beautiful lake, they have that too. Lots of fun trails, if you are a hiker and a real nice swimming beach, if you are a swimmer.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank stammercindy

Wetumpka, Alabama
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

We went for a drive through of the RV campground for a planned future trip. To sum it up quickly, we wont be camping there. Too crowded. Camp sites are very cramped. Facilities are outdated and need some serious attention. Was very disappointed in what we saw in this park. We didnt try the restaurant so i cant opine as to the value there.

1 Thank southerntravler36092
Huntsville, Alabama
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very relaxing and pretty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We took out two grandchildren and spent a couple of nights in the lakeside cottages. We were quite comfortable there. They provide things that many similar cottages and cabins do not. There were hotel-type toiletries, a garbage bag. dishwashing soap, and a roll of paper towels. Sitting on the back of the deck, we were rewarded with a beautiful, peaceful view of the water. There is a dock to share for each two cottages. We fished from the dock some and fished from the boat some. The fishing is good in the area. The kids also enjoyed swimming in the pool. There is a path through the woods to the pool area and we enjoyed the walk. Deer were everywhere; more so in the late afternoon. That is a thrill for all of us even after spending our 4th year there! We also enjoyed boating. There is a very nice boat ramp for launching boats and rental slips behind the lodge. The cottages are not to be mistaken for the cabins, which are a couple of miles from the main park and don't have quite as many amenities. Make your reservation early so you get your choice of time and number of bedrooms. Or just go for the day if you like. There is a lodge there too that is pretty nice, but my favorite is to stay in a cottage.

Tuscumbia, Alabama
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Complaint on noise above us”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Recently, my 85year old mother and I stayed at the resort..the resort placed teenagers above our room with many other rooms available. They sounded liked they walked around all night and the next morning. Being a caregiver to my mom..I and she were very tired that night but got no rest.when I called management the next moring, I was made to feel like this was my fault for not calling security to complain. I tried to get across to management that I should not have had to call security and that there never should have been this problem if correctly handled at the time of placing these teenagers above us. I asked for a refund for the night of no sleep..again I was told it was my fault. I will not go back to joe wheeler or recommend them to anyone else. Management needs to be more considerate to handicap -caregivers and older adults...

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“poor boat ramp at cabins”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I drove about 200 miles for a vacation at JOE Wheeler State Park. We rented a brick cabin which was clean and had plenty of room. The king size bed even slept good. We like to fish so we had pulled our boat to the park. Went to put in at the boat ramp in the cabin area and were totally dissappointed. The boat ramp appeared to be small speed breakers. I pull my boat with a mini van and was seriously afraid the van would not pull back out of the ramp. The dock had fallen in so it would have been very difficult to pull the boat close enough for my wife to get on the boat. By this time I was totally disgusted with the whole set up so we stayed only the one night left and drove 200 mmiles back home having no vacation for another year!!! I have NO plans to ever visit JOE WHEELER again. The state needs to repair the dock and make a better boat ramp. Not everyone pulls their boat with a four weeel drive pickup truck.

1 Thank Steve B