“Every table different”

Derailed Diner
Ranked #4 of 33 Restaurants in Robertsdale
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Katy, Texas, United States
“Every table different”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We have told everyone we know about this place. It is done with the flair of Hollywood, yet keeps it's "down-home" friendliness. Plan to spend some extra time roaming around (taking pictures if you like), and in the gift shop. The chicken fried steak was my favorite and the corn bread was southern-style and good, also. The pecan cheesecake is award winning. YUM.

Visited January 2014

Daphne, Alabama
“A great place in the middle of nowhere”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I pass this restaurant every day on my 48 mile drive to/from work. We were doing business with someone nearby so stopped in for breakfast with the BOGO coupon they send out. What a neat place with parts of a school bus and other types of transportation as others have noted. I wanted to sit in the train car to be near the window, since the main dining area doesn't have windows. We were told what we thought was an old train car was actually built to look like one. It has a wide aisle between the tables for 4 on one side and tables for 2 on the other side. The tables are all shadow boxes with old memorabilia under glass with cards asking trivia - how neat is that? Our table highlighted NASA space launches from long ago. Since only one other table was occupied and we'd talked with the man sitting at a nearby table before his companion joined him, we walked down the empty space to look at what was under glass. Salt and pepper shakers are all ceramic and unique to each table, ours were fireman's boots.

Our server wasn't that good and seemed like she didn't want to be there. The eggs were very small, something I've only seen at one other restaurant, so felt cheated. The toast, biscuit, hashbrowns, sausage and bacon that we had were all great. We have more business to do out this way next weekend, so maybe we'll stop for dinner with another BOGO coupon. It really is in the middle of nowhere with the next exits many miles away, this is also a stop for semi-truck and there is an adjacent gas station. This is a winner we'll plan to stop at in the future if we're hungry and driving by on I-10.

Visited January 2014
“Wonderful Surprise”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Good home cooked type food. Huge portions. Very reasonable prices. Very clean and nicely decorated. Don't let the exterior foul you, go inside you will be pleasantly surprised.

New Orleans
“Great Diner”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

My son and I were traveling through and pulled off to eat. We try to avoid chains so when we saw the sign for Derailed Diner we decided to take a chance on it. It is inside the Stucky's truck stop which gave us a bit of concern but that was quickly put aside. We were seated quickly (at a table made from a pickup tailgate of all things) and our order was taken by friendly staff. Our orders arrived very quickly and the food was excellent. The décor is interesting (sort of a train themed Petticoat Junction/Cracker Barrel mash up). Prices were very reasonable. So if you are cruising I10 and feeling a bit peckish, skip the Subway and give Derailed Diner a chance. We did and we are glad we did...

Ruston, Louisiana, United States
“Great atmosphere and food”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My dad and I were passing through, from Panama City to New Orleans, and saw the billboard for Derailed Diner. We decided to stop here instead of some random fast food joint.

We sat at a table that was made from an old truck tailgate. The atmosphere is really cool. Kids would love it.

The food was great, as well. Dad got the fish and chips, which were on point. I got the Hobo Basket, which was beef and vegetables, cooked "in true railroad fashion." It was absolutely fantastic, and well worth the price ($8.99). I also had a side of cornbread, which was also delicious. I highly recommend both!